• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious The PISA Fallacy...

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is interesting. I checked, the guy who wrote it is a HOD of a premier school that has produced 3 nobel laureates and he is a massive fan of Singapore's education system. I am told he attended the conference. Lets see what comes out of this.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
This is interesting. I checked, the guy who wrote it is a HOD of a premier school that has produced 3 nobel laureates and he is a massive fan of Singapore's education system. I am told he attended the conference. Lets see what comes out of this.

The template is there, bro. "quoted out of context"

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yep, it will interesting. The press is lazy, they could have gone to straight to the author whose contact details are easily available. They are worried in case a quick reply comes in and the story is still in the mind of readers.

The template is there, bro. "quoted out of context"

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
It turns out that this Wong guy did not criticise our beloved education system as reported by the Aussie fake news. We may have to re-evaluate your assessment of this nice guy.

If its fake news as you claim, then why hasn't Lucien or someone in the AGC sued them? After all, there are 3 parties that can be sued for slander. The author, the aussie education publication that printed the article, and mothership.sg. But so far, AGC is very quiet. Obviously, all 3 parties have brought ill repute to the education system. For the AGC to not even threaten lawsuit against one party is unbelievable, then have done so for far less. Conclusion: Story is 100% true.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yep, it will interesting. The press is lazy, they could have gone to straight to the author whose contact details are easily available. They are worried in case a quick reply comes in and the story is still in the mind of readers.

Looks like some "back peddling" here. Obviously the price of failure is still too great in the country. I think there are some "grain" of truth in the article. Funnily enough, I was talking about the lack of social skills in schools in Singapore. And how this has failed many generations that has gone through it. This article kind of hit the nail on the head for me.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
Conclusion: Story is 100% true.

MOE posted video and transcript of the video on the opening speech made by DGE, nothing on PISA and/or OECD mentioned in the video.

Granted it's a four-day workshop, I suspect our esteemed Ang Moh educator gleaned the hidden message from all the presentations over the period.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
MOE posted video and transcript of the video on the opening speech made by DGE, nothing on PISA and/or OECD mentioned in the video.

The remarks on correlation between PISA and OECD rankings were probably made in response to the delegate's question during the Q & A, hence not in the opening speech video.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Every Singaporean knows that despite winning maths olympiads, debating competitions, sciences expos numerous times, we have never contributed to the world inventory of good ideas. We have never won a single big prize in the adult world. We all know that Singaporean student have learnt to game the system.

If indeed our operating model is good why the need to have a 4 day workshop called "Redesigning Pedagogy". Unless the nam is also wrong, why do you think the intention is?

Looks like some "back peddling" here. Obviously the price of failure is still too great in the country. I think there are some "grain" of truth in the article. Funnily enough, I was talking about the lack of social skills in schools in Singapore. And how this has failed many generations that has gone through it. This article kind of hit the nail on the head for me.

Satyr

Alfrescian
Loyal

At sixes and sevens describes the press here. Afraid of their shadows.

Satyr

Alfrescian
Loyal
Every Singaporean knows that despite winning maths olympiads, debating competitions, sciences expos numerous times, we have never contributed to the world inventory of good ideas. We have never won a single big prize in the adult world. We all know that Singaporean student have learnt to game the system.

If indeed our operating model is good why the need to have a 4 day workshop called "Redesigning Pedagogy". Unless the nam is also wrong, why do you think the intention is?

We have a system designed to produce first class honours scholars. In this it is massively successful. It does not aim to produce anything else. The assumption is that this brigade of worthies will take care of everything. If only it was that easy.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am sure many of us have given the benefit of doubt to the scholars as the system was implemented. It has been close to 30 years and the results are not encouraging. We had OMS fronting LTA and another SMRT and they still can't fix it despite so many assurances. HK's MTR was in place long before we decided on having one and yet our challenges are far worse and we are still stuck. We now have an OMS buying into Sports management using our sovereign find vehicle. There are millions of things to invest and we picked sports management. We can;t even lay down an artificial turf which others have done so for years.

We have a system designed to produce first class honours scholars. In this it is massively successful. It does not aim to produce anything else. The assumption is that this brigade of worthies will take care of everything. If only it was that easy.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Couple years ago, I was walking from Parkway Parade to the Hawker Centre and I saw stall along the walkway having all sorts of 10year series and they also had them based on various premier school. And the sales was brisk. I am amazed how things have evolved. Then I got to know about super tutors in SBF before it was even mentioned in the press including who tutored CJ Yong's tutor. I realised how doomed the country was.

I speak to many ex-Singaporeans and their kids and their tales are so different. Building solar cars to participate in an annual race challenge, building low cost housing in Fiji, pulling together a montage on a parent's typical work week, etc.

Singaporeans kids all have the same thing - everyone has a son who is creating mobile apps ( used to be building websites) and a daughter is creating a blog and selling stuff. Of course nothing has taken off in the last 15 years.

Bro,
Care to show me where we can get the Ten-Year-Series for installation of artificial turf?

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
Singaporeans kids all have the same thing - everyone has a son who is creating mobile apps ( used to be building websites) and a daughter is creating a blog and selling stuff. Of course nothing has taken off in the last 15 years.

How many bandwagons have we chased?

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

U checked the guy? I thought you knew him personally. Shocking!!