• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Want to make US$510 million

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Times are hard & if want a shot at US$510 go get a ticket for the powerball jackpot. :smile:

It's probably too late to get a ticket for the draw on Saturday but next time you visit the USA you might consider getting a few lucky draw tickets for the powerball jackpot.

Why not? If you happen to be in the US might as well look at getting a lottery ticket there. You might get lucky & be able to retire early.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/ct-powerball-numbers-20170816-story.html

No Powerball winners; jackpot jumps to $510 million for Saturday's drawing

Better luck next time.

In the Wednesday night drawing, there were no Powerball jackpot winners. The numbers were 9-15-43-60-64, with a Powerball of 4 and a Power Play of 3.

There was one $2 million winner in Texas, as well as five $1 million winners in California and Florida.

The Powerball jackpot has now rolled over 19 times, with no winner since the June 14 drawing.

For Saturday night's Powerball drawing, the jackpot is estimated at $510 million. The estimated cash value is $324.2 million.

The odds of winning the Powerball drawing are only one in 292.2 million.

Powerball is played in 44 states, as well as Washington D.C., Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Someone finally won the Powerball lottery. The prize was US$759 million :eek:

I calculated approximately at today's rate of conversion....that translate to roughly S$1bn....billion, not millions...try to imagine, I won that billion...I woould be stunned.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I calculated approximately at today's rate of conversion....that translate to roughly S$1bn....billion, not millions...try to imagine, I won that billion...I woould be stunned.

you have to pay federal, state, and local taxes amounting to $696m over your lifetime with interest earned. and then after her children inherit her fortune after she dies they have to pay inheritance or estate tax of about 40% of lum sum if total amount willed or "gifted" to children is us$1m beyond the non-taxable gift of us$5.45m. very complicated double tax laws in the u.s. anyway, this granny looking milf will find new suitors for her love. :p

IMG_0105.JPG

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
I find this article interesting. Let's put it another way, $10K means you play lotto for the next 2 years every week. But chances to strike the jackpot is close to nil as well.

http://www.smh.com.au/money/investing/how-to-turn-10000-into-a-million-dollars-20170724-gxhbqb.html

How to turn $10,000 into a million dollars

Marcus Padley
Marcus Padley
Show comments
I ask for Stupid Questions in my newsletter and I get them. "I have $10,000 and want to turn it into a million dollars. How do I do it?"

You're thinking "How Stupid" but it's actually a really good question. So let's try and answer it.

SHARE ON FACEBOOK SHARE
SHARE ON TWITTER TWEET
LINK

http://www.smh.com.au/money/investing/how-to-turn-10000-into-a-million-dollars-20170724-gxhbqb.html
Winning a game show like Who Wants to be a Millionaire? is one way to earn a million dollars.
Winning a game show like Who Wants to be a Millionaire? is one way to earn a million dollars. Photo: supplied
First thing to do is to accept that you will not achieve this goal without being prepared to lose all your money. You will not achieve it in the bank, in cash, in property or in managed funds. There is no "average" return in any asset class that will suit you. You need to win Tatts Lotto or place and win some long odds bet at the bookies.

Outside that you have two options. Build a business, the most sensible option and the real answer to the question, or the stock market. The stock market appears to be less effort so let's look at that.

If you try to achieve this goal in the stockmarket you will not do it through diversification. A "portfolio" is not for you. You will only achieve it through two techniques. The first is to find one stock, one fantastic "Rocket under a Rock" and ride it to a million. Or two, get a lot of stocks right consistently over a long period of time; in other words, you need to develop a system for investing and build the capital by consistently successful trading over a long, long period of time.

If you are going to build a system you have a lot of work to do. You'll have to get your head in the investment game or, more specifically, the trading game.

Advertisement

If you are going to do it in one stock, then here are a few numbers. To turn $10,000 into $1 million you need a stock that goes up 100 fold. That's a 10,000 per cent return. In the All Ords at this very moment (about 500 stocks) there are around 60 stocks that have in their trading histories, if you timed it perfectly from all time low to all time high, returned more than 10,000 per cent. That's a lot better odds than you might imagine. That's 12 per cent of stocks. Here are some of the highlights:

Biggest and fastest rises in history:

Fortescue Metals. Turned $10,000 into $73,166,166 between September 1990 and June 2008. 17.8 years. This is the biggest single return of any stock over any period in the All Ordinaries.
UXC Limited. The fastest of all. Turned $10,000 into $6 million between June 1998 and March 2000 in the tech boom. It was called Davnet at the time. 1.8 years.
Paladin. Turned $10,000 into $13.5 million between April 2003 and April 2007. 4.0 years. Third biggest return and the third fastest.

MONEY NEWSLETTER
Get the latest news and updates emailed straight to your inbox.

Enter your email address
By submitting your email you are agreeing to Fairfax Media's terms and conditions and privacy policy .
Other stocks have done remarkable things with $10,000 include News Corp. which turned it into $26,692,393 in 25.4 years. BHP into $2,543,468 in 42.2 years. QBE $12,165,775 in 32.7 years. Others that have achieved it include ANZ, RIO, Woodside, Origin, Santos, Leighton Holdings. Coca-Cola Amatil, Lend Lease. The list goes on.

Bottom line, it is possible. But it will not be easy and it could take 42 years. And I ask, how on earth are you going to stop yourself selling when you have doubled your money to $20,000. And what are you going to do when it falls on day one. And the big one, which stock do I start with?

I have written before about how pitiful the real average return from the stock market actually is post tax, inflation, transaction costs, management costs and the index fudge and because of that the stock market is not about averages and diversification, it is about timing and buying stocks that go up.

The pursuit of $1 million with $10,000, as unrealistic as it is, is the essence of what this game and the stock market game is all about. It's not about pretending to be fund manager, hiding in the average and relying on the long term. It's about finding stocks that go up and avoiding stocks that go down. It's about thinking it's possible and applying yourself to the task. Even if you come up 9900 per cent short, you've still doubled your money.

Marcus Padley is the author of the daily stock market newsletter Marcus Today. For a free trial of the Marcus Today newsletter please go to marcustoday.com.au

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It's a lottery, so of course the chances of winning is lower than the chance of losing:smile:

The lottery prizes in Spore fails to excite & one doesn't even know if they actually have big winners:confused: Spore Pools claim that they don't publicise the winners but I have to wonder why?

Could it be because the biggest winners is the PAP:wink:

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's a lottery, so of course the chances of winning is lower than the chance of losing:smile:

The lottery prizes in Spore fails to excite & one doesn't even know if they actually have big winners:confused: Spore Pools claim that they don't publicise the winners but I have to wonder why?

Could it be because the biggest winners is the PAP:wink:

Winners are publicised so as to garner more interest in playing lotto. Just sounds weird. Perhaps Singapore lotto is directed by PAP not to do it.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Winners are publicised so as to garner more interest in playing lotto. Just sounds weird. Perhaps Singapore lotto is directed by PAP not to do it.

The prize snowballs when there are no winners. However it was only after some changes made by the formula Spore Pools uses in 2014 that you see the prizes go up to respectable levels e.g. 7, 8, 9, 12 million.

Prior to 2014 the prize money was not high. I bet that this was because the $$$ went into the pocket of Spore Pools rather than into the prize kitty.