• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Peanut Allergy

bobby

Alfrescian
Loyal
Reading news reports about an Australian boy's severe allergic reaction on board a Singapore Airlines (SIA) flight from Singapore to Melbourne broke Ms Noor Izlin Ismail's heart.

It reminded her of her son Hayden's allergic reaction on a flight back home from Phuket, Thailand, two years ago.

On July 12, three-year-old Marcus Daley's eyes swelled, and he began vomiting when passengers around him opened their packets of peanuts, which were served as a snack.

He was flying with his parents back home to Melbourne from a holiday in Thailand.

The incident prompted SIA to review the serving of nuts on flights.

The incident went viral online, with netizens split over the Daleys' call for airlines to consider not serving peanuts as a snack on board.

Just like Marcus, Hayden, who is now five, had started swelling up "like a balloon" after a passenger two seats away opened a packet of peanuts, said Ms Izlin, 42.

She told The New Paper: "We immediately gave him an antihistamine. Good thing the plane was about to land in Singapore.

"We were panicking then, but the cabin crew helped and let us alight from the plane first once we landed.

"After the incident, we knew it was best not to travel until Hayden was well."

They have not taken a flight since.

Knowing how serious allergic reactions can be, Ms Izlin empathised with the Daleys' anti-peanut call.

The mother of four said: "It is really sad. Some people feel they need to have peanuts on board. Is it a must? My child could die if he were to eat any of the items he is allergic to."

The second of four children, Hayden has to follow a strict diet as he is allergic to peanuts, almonds, milk and eggs.

Ms Izlin and her husband discovered Hayden's allergies when he started having eczema while on breast milk.

A skin prick test when he was six months old confirmed his allergies.

"Usually, we feed him first before we go out for dinner or for birthday parties," said Ms Izlin, adding that Hayden would sometimes throw tantrums when barred from eating ice cream or drinking Yakult.

When the family eat out, they go to only a handful of places - mostly vegan - that Ms Izlin has marked as safe for Hayden.

Despite her taking the necessary precautions, Hayden still occasionally gets an allergic reaction.

Once, he threw up immediately after eating gelato that was supposed to be dairy-free.

To prepare for such instances, Ms Izlin packs a bottle of antihistamine and two EpiPens.

Hayden was supposed to start on a food tolerance programme to help him overcome his allergies, but a recent medical test found that his allergies have become worse.

"The doctor said children usually grow out of their allergies at three, five, eight or 12 years old. After that, if he still has them, it could be for life.

"We have to wait till January to see if he is fit for the programme," said Ms Izlin.

For now, she is fretting over how to keep Hayden safe when he goes to primary school.

"He can take his own food along, but other children may offer him food. They may not understand his situation or know what he can eat or can't eat.

"But we will see how it goes. One step at a time," she said.

After their son's allergic reaction to peanuts on board a Singapore Airlines flight last Wednesday, Mr Chris Daley and his wife, Madam Hong Daley, both Australians, lodged a formal complaint with Singapore Airlines (SIA).

"We have been brushed off, and we want to make people aware that this can happen on a plane," she said.

"All they have to do is just stop serving peanuts… and there are so many snacks," Ms Daley told told the Australian Broadcasting Corporation on Wednesday.

Her comments drew ire from some netizens, who felt the Daleys were too self-centred.

Some, such as netizen Michelle Tan, wondered why SIA should be held accountable.

"Why should SIA be held accountable? Why deprive others of the simple joy of peanuts?" she wrote.

Others, such as netizen Simin Tan, defended the Daleys.

She wrote: "If you're prepared to put someone else at risk because you must have peanuts on a flight, the self-entitlement (complex) is not with the person with a life-threatening allergy."

Netizen Liz Ong, whose child has a peanut allergy, wrote: "We are asking (passengers) to please reconsider for the moment, for the hour, for the duration of the flight, to please inconvenience yourself and your family, to please refrain from eating peanuts.

"For every time that you do, we, parents of these children, will be extremely grateful that you help keep our children safe for the flight."

When approached yesterday, SIA said there are no updates at this point to its review on serving nuts during flights. - FOO JIE YING

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What kind of cock comment is that? If kids can't eat peanuts parents can stop them...what the fuck the parents doing? And to think Such rubbish can even be written by journalist.

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I will suggest that thy travel in private jets. Y must the world shift to suit you ?

Like that I am allegic to cotton can I ask the world around me to go nude ?

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
I will suggest that thy travel in private jets. Y must the world shift to suit you ?

Like that I am allegic to cotton can I ask the world around me to go nude ?

When someone has anaphylactic reaction to peanuts it means even a small amount of peanut dust can trigger a life threatening reaction!

In Singapore lots of food courts and all and I mean ALL the fast food chains have to avoid serving pork just because of some religion. And Singaporeans are ok with that.

When it comes to not eating peanuts on planes, the boy can go die for all they care.

Sigh.

Last edited:

bobby

Alfrescian
Loyal
When someone has anaphylactic reaction to peanuts it means even a small amount of peanut dust can trigger a life threatening reaction!

In Singapore lots of food courts and all and I mean ALL the fast food chains have to avoid serving pork just because of some religion. And Singaporeans are ok with that.

When it comes to not eating peanuts on planes, the boy can go die for all they care.

Sigh.

stock-photo-indian-boy-and-medical-mask-asian-boy-wearing-green-medical-mask-year-old-boy-with-m.jpg

Bestest solution for all....SIA happy, peanuts suppliers happy, passengers happy.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Wait till something happens then multimillion dollar lawsuit then all will learn.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
SIA will go the way of other airlines by removing peanuts altogether to avoid incidents and acrimony all around. I thought the parents were a bit too much knowingly taking an airline that serves peanuts on board when they could have taken Qantas which does not. What is money when the life of your kid is at stake. They also have the temerity to be aggressive towards SIA.

SIA and Singaporeans must also learn to handle aggressive and unreasonable ang mos who attempt to browbeat their way. I have always said this before here - watch the ang mos handle the locals, from security guards, waiters, service staff. They appear calm and polite but you can see how they cut queue, ask for certain things that locals will not get.

Remember the case when ang mos and local came out from the same car to go to a 5 star hotel toilet and only the locals were stopped. by the security.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Sigh.

There's nothing stopping you from opening a fast food restaurant or eatery that serves pork. In fact you should, since there is probably a market demand for pork in fast food places given that currently all fast food places are halal.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thats what other airlines do. For some reason Oz seems to have a whole range of allergies. I am beginning to wonder if it is mental. The thought of peanuts triggers a reaction and eventually to all nuts.

One good way is to sedate the kid and have peanuts opened and someone eating it next to him.

Doc, you view?

So many types of nuts to get why need to supply pee nuts.

bobby

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thats what other airlines do. For some reason Oz seems to have a whole range of allergies. I am beginning to wonder if it is mental. The thought of peanuts triggers a reaction and eventually to all nuts.

One good way is to sedate the kid and have peanuts opened and someone eating it next to him.

Doc, you view?

A lot of eateries in Australia always have the disclosure of food allergens in their packaging, menus and clearly written signage at their doors.

Sometimes you wonder if food allergy sufferers, even coeliacs, have a social life in dining outside home cooked special meals?

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You guys are missing the point. Peanut allergy is potentially lethal. SIA should not expose children to dangerous allergens in confined spaces. Full stop

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Doc, you view?
It is not psychological. I have seen a toddler's tongue swell up and his face turn blue. Not fun

The good thing is alternative treatments for allergies have gained popularity in recent years.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
The ones I have seem are when they ingest it themselves. The ones that I am speculating are when the peanuts are in the vicinity. Looking for some scientific reason. And why the Oz kids.

It is not psychological. I have seen a toddler's tongue swell up and his face turn blue. Not fun

The good thing is alternative treatments for allergies have gained popularity in recent years.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have friends in OZ who tell me that their kids tell them that every class have kids who have allergies as well as those that suffer ADD / ADHD. Why don't we seem them in 3rd world countries. Just curious.

A lot of eateries in Australia always have the disclosure of food allergens in their packaging, menus and clearly written signage at their doors.

Sometimes you wonder if food allergy sufferers, even coeliacs, have a social life in dining outside home cooked special meals?

Seee3

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I have friends in OZ who tell me that their kids tell them that every class have kids who have allergies as well as those that suffer ADD / ADHD. Why don't we seem them in 3rd world countries. Just curious.
Third world countries' allergy problem probably ended early. Kids with severve allergy will probably have died when they were infant or toddler.

ADHD can improve with early intervention. Kids in 3rd world country with ADHD will be treated as normal and harshly punished when they misbehaved. Over time they are forced to behave like others. Looking back, I think many of my primary school mates had ADHD. We just take them as being naughty or stupid. Today, parents pampered their kids thinking that they were too young to understand. Those with ADHD are allowed to behave their way so the problem got worse as there is no early intervention.

Above just my opinion. As to why oz has more peanut allergy, maybe is the gene pool that first arrived in oz.