• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Leo Yip, new Civil Service Head

CoffeeAhSoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
Man cannot see this but God sees this all too clearly. Your service in church is essentially an offering to hi. He will judge whether it is acceptable or not in the same way he judged the offerings of Cain and Abel.

If you read through the bible, God has never chosen special elite groups to get things done. He has instead always worked through the humble and the unworthy.

These are very private and exclusive fellowship. Eg. Former justice lai was said to with the Haggai group.

Just google Haggai / Institute , john haggai, etc - all news blackout...

Satyr

Alfrescian
Loyal
Man cannot see this but God sees this all too clearly. Your service in church is essentially an offering to hi. He will judge whether it is acceptable or not in the same way he judged the offerings of Cain and Abel.

If you read through the bible, God has never chosen special elite groups to get things done. He has instead always worked through the humble and the unworthy.

It is true God does great things through simple men, the more to show His greatness. The rest of us can either sit on our hands or do what we can. Arguably , the rich and influential are subject to more temptations. It does not mean they cannot offer God their work.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I agree. But there seems to be the element of networking that is now evident and stratified along status and income. I am not talking about new age church either. The Thios and Lim are examples. Noticeably they have become lay leaders as well.

It is not possible for you to concurrently be a closed elite group and true followers of Christ. If you want to be a true follower, you have to check whatever wealth and social status you have achieved in the secular world at the door when you step into church every Sunday. You have to avoid seeking leadership positions in church and learn to serve in low humble positions where no one knows who you are.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Fellowships are fine but I worry when they start to covertly play in the national space to influence agenda. The takeover of Aware by the Thios came apart when emails were leaked. That spells deceit.

These are very private and exclusive fellowship. Eg. Former justice lai was said to with the Haggai group.

Just google Haggai / Institute , john haggai, etc - all news blackout...

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Explanatory Note Following Recent Comments on Honour (Singapore)
By Honour SingaporeApril 7, 2016Nation

[The following is a letter I have sent to donors and friends of Honour (Singapore).]

Dear Donors and Friends of Honour (Singapore),
Yawning Bread, a social commentary website, published a blog on 1 April 2016 titled “Cup of honour runneth over.” The blog cast doubt on various aspects of Honour (Singapore), raising again presumed connections with FGB Singapore, and especially referencing our accounts which we recently published. I have been writing quarterly letters to you to keep you updated on what Honour (Singapore) has been doing, the latest letter having only just been sent on 1 April 2016. Nevertheless, I feel it necessary to write this special note to address the main issues raised in the Yawning Bread blog so that you can be no doubt that Honour (Singapore) will always act honestly, sincerely and honorably in all its doings. Ours is not a Christian agenda: it cannot be, if we are to do good for everyone in Singapore, irrespective of race or religion.

While I can understand why the blog raised the particular issues it did, it clearly was written with a heavy dose of scepticism and mistrust. Even so, it is appropriate that I try to explain as much as I can. As a starting point, however, I should say that it would be a very sad day for Singapore if a Singaporean is thwarted, shouted down or discouraged from doing good for the country because he happens to be a Christian. We are a multi-racial, multi-cultural, multi-religious society in which all Singaporeans, regardless of background or belief, should actively seek the well-being of the nation. It is truly remarkable that social harmony has been maintained despite our diversity. Indeed a recent Pew Research survey found Singapore to be the most religiously diverse country in the world.

Honour (Singapore) is focused on the nation. Its purpose is to promote a culture of Honour and Honouring for the well-being of the country, in the two dimensions of being a people who Honour Our Word, and who Honour Each Other despite the diversity and, possibly, even sharp differences in our views on various issues. We should at least be united in our desire to do whatever good we can, within our own understanding and in our own way, for the long-term interest of Singaporeans.

Honour (Singapore) began as an effort among a group of friends who believed that Honour is a virtue critical for the sustained success of the country. It is true the initial Board of Directors of Honour (Singapore) Ltd were my friends who were all members of FGB Singapore, and that, in order to get the process moving quickly, Honour (Singapore) began with administrative support from FGB Singapore. The support, including office space, from FGB Singapore was rightly paid for by Honour (Singapore) as Honour (Singapore) is not an activity of FGB Singapore. Our payment to FGB Singapore for this support is shown in our accounts. The support went on until Honour (Singapore) moved to its current office in Central Square in May 2015 at which point all administrative support from, and payments to, FGB Singapore ceased.

As for the Board of Directors of Honour (Singapore), Mr Khoo Oon Theam, Mr Georgie Lee and Mr Jayson Wong, who were all members of FGB Singapore, resigned in February 2016. I had informed you of this in my letter of April 2016, as well as introduced the new members of the Board.
The Board of Honour (Singapore) today comprises four persons: Haji Mohamad Alami Musa, Head of Studies in Inter-Religious Relations in Plural Societies Programme at the S. Rajaratnam School of International Studies, Nanyang Technological University, and also non-executive President of the Islamic Religious Council of Singapore (MUIS); Mrs Fang Ai Lian, who chairs the Board of Trustees of the Singapore Business Federation besides holding a number of other board and public appointments (Both Ambassador Alami and Mrs Fang were previously members of the Panel of Community Advisors of Honour (Singapore)); Mr Richard Magnus, who has been a Board member from the beginning and was previously Singapore’s Senior (now termed Chief) District Judge; and me as the fourth member and Chairman of the Board.

The Yawning Bread blog pointed out that Honour (Singapore) had received (just) over a million dollars in donations. To us, this represents the breadth of support for the message of Honour to be promoted for the well-being of Singapore. It also underlines the deep responsibility we now have to deliver on the hopes and wishes of friends and donors like you.

The blog asks what work has been undertaken by Honour (Singapore). I have kept you apprised of what we have been doing, and I refer you again to my letter of April 2016 for a comprehensive description. The letter, as also previous quarterly letters, is pubIished at www.honour.sg.

Our most important activity this far has been supporting the production of short films centred on the theme of “Honouring the Invisible People”, these being people whose work we benefit from e.g. construction workers, nurses, bus drivers, lift attendants, domestic helpers, and so on, people who are around but whom we often do not notice or even express appreciation to. The films which are ready are available from the honour.sg website, while some more are in production. The stories are, by and large, easy to understand by themselves, and we have been showing them to various audiences. The purpose is simple – if the films sensitize us to honour and appreciate the good work of everyone around us, Singapore will be a better place for all of us and this would be another step to being the gracious society so many Singaporeans yearn for. Honour (Singapore) is happy to share these films with anyone who may find it useful for making us all better as human beings.

My letter next described the Honour International Symposium which will be held on 19 and 20 May 2016. This will feature up to 15 speakers, both Singaporean and international, who will share their views on why Honour is important for winning in business, leadership, family, relationships and life. It is right and fair to charge for participation in a conference of international standard given the quality and diversity of the speakers and content. We also see advantage in participants staying in as the programme is very tight and there is also benefit in informal interaction among them. Our target are the influencers in businesses and organizations who have the “position power” to initiate change in their organizations should they find the message of Honour useful for the success of their respective enterprises. We have decided to organise it on a “by invitation only” basis so that participants may be assured of the experience and background of others who may be attending. Our invitations have included civil servants, as the message of Honour is as relevant for government as for other aspects of life and business, though we would fully understand it if they do not consider it worth their attending. Honour has been a central reason for Singapore’s success over the last 50 years, and the government has been a critical part of this. Nevertheless, our invitations have overwhelmingly gone to business leaders.

My letter to you had next described a “toolkit” which we will be ready to make available in a matter of months for the use of businesses and organizations who think they can benefit from materials we have put together to explain and communicate Honour for life and work.
We continue to hold talks and discussion sessions with CEOs and civil society and other leaders, on what we believe about Honour and to express our willingness to work with them if they feel that we can be of help in convincing their employees and members about the matter. As the Yawning Bread blog has pointed out, we do not appear to have done a lot. We indeed want to do more, but our resources are limited and we, unfortunately, are able to focus on just a few major activities at this time. Our manpower resources are extremely small, and we use supporters, contractors and consultants to help us meet our multiple needs, like producing the toolkit, planning and organising the Honour International Symposium, designing and maintaining our website, reaching out to multiple audiences, and so on.

We would be happy to respond to specific questions and issues. It would be much better if those who write the blogs or have other views would communicate with us directly, rather than simply write on the basis of assumptions and presumptions which may not be true. For example, I notice one of the comments responding to the Yawning Bread blog stated “his bible study group is well attended, with cars parked chock a block on the street where he lives on such evenings.” The fact simply is that I do not host bible study meetings in my home at all.
Thank you for your patience in reading through this long letter. I had simply felt an obligation to at least explain the true situation to you, our donors and friends, in view of the scepticism and innuendos contained in the Yawning Bread blog.

With best regards,
Lim Siong Guan
Chairman
Honour (Singapor

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Cup of honour runneth over
Published 1 April 2016 business and employment , society and culture 14 Comments
The Initiatives landing page of its website has a picture of a man with outstretched arms, forming a figure not dissimilar from a crucifix. The pose resembles Christ the Redeemer, the icon of Rio de Janeiro.
pic_201604_04_480w.jpg

Screengrab of Honour Singapore's website landing page, 1 April 2016
Screengrab of the Initiatives page of Honour Singapore’s website, 1 April 2016

Christ the Redeemer in Rio de Janeiro
Christ the Redeemer in Rio de Janeiro
The non-profit company called Honour Singapore was in the news in August 2014 when questions were asked whether it was yet another religious group in wolf’s clothing, you know, like Focus on the Family Singapore, which claims it is a secular organisation with no “Christian” agenda. Certainly, Honour Singapore’s very name contains a dogwhistle word (“honour”) beloved by devotees and modern crusaders of conservative evangelical Christianity — which, by the way, I consider a misnomer. I prefer to call this religion American Pseudo-Christianity, for a simple reason: there’s nothing very Christian about its belief system, worldview, and desire for power.

In August 2014, Kirsten Han wrote a searching piece for Yahoo, worth reading again, Not religious? Honour (Singapore) still has much to prove:

It was quickly pointed out that Honour (Singapore) had some interesting connections: four out of five of the members on Honour (Singapore)’s board are also on the board of Full Gospel Business (FGB) Singapore. The fifth member of the board is Jason Wong from Focus on the Family, the Singapore branch of a conservative evangelical Christian organisation from the United States.

Honour (Singapore) is also registered to the same address as FGB Singapore.

According to its website, FGB Singapore’s goal is to “penetrate the marketplace” with the knowledge of God and Jesus Christ.

— Yahoo news, 20 Aug 2014, Not religious? Honour (Singapore) still has much to prove

A few days before Kirsten’s piece was published, the Straits Times helpfully carried Honour Singapore founding chairman Lim Siong Guan’s denial.

The people behind a new group lobbying for a culture of honour came together as friends, said its chairman Lim Siong Guan, downplaying their common Christian ties.

Mr Lim, who is also the group president of Singapore sovereign wealth fund GIC, said: “A group of us who have known each other for many years and who all think the same way about wanting Singapore to be a place of peace and stability, decided to set up Honour Singapore.”

“Honour Singapore is not a Christian or religious organisation…

“We are not an advocacy group on issues of Government or public policies,” he added, in response to queries from The Straits Times.

— Straits Times, 15 Aug 2014, Honour Singapore addresses online flak for its Christian board members

Kirsten’s Yahoo story also carried Lim’s denial,

“Honour (Singapore) is not a Christian organisation or a religious group. We have to be judged by what we do…”

— Yahoo news, 20 Aug 2014, Not religious? Honour (Singapore) still has much to prove

“Judged by what we do” have the ring of famous last words. To begin with, there was a huge launch party held at the Fullerton Hotel. As Kirsten Han had pointed out, what real-life NGO starts with such chandeliered hobnobbing? (my words, not hers)

I don’t have the time to monitor their every move, but a look at their audited accounts can be quite revealing nonetheless. Here are the key numbers:

pic_201604_01

What’s salient about these numbers? In the first year of operation, Honour Singapore raked in over a million dollars in donations. Many real-life NGOs, doing valuable work saving animals, tending to disabled children or the terminally ill, or looking out for injured and abused foreign workers, would weep with joy if they had such money.

The cup runneth over
The cup runneth over
Secondly, their expenditure items show nothing much that indicates charitable work. This despite the fact that it is a registered charity enjoying tax exemption. Nor does the website list much. It has a few vague mentions about civil society forums and short films, but no specifics about any particular project or event.

$50,000 in ‘Administrative support fees’ was paid to FGB Gatekeepers Singapore. The notes to the accounts explain it this way: “Administrative support fees paid to FGB Gatekeepers Singapore where the directors are the management committee” — a sentence not altogether easy to parse. The most likely meaning is that the directors of Honour Singapore also constitute the management committee of FGB Gatekeepers Singapore. In other words, money flowed from Honour Singapore to the overtly evangelistic group called FGB, both run by the same people. How does that sound to you?

FGB Gatekeepers Singapore is also a registered charity (UEN number S75SS0053H). However, I cannot find any financial report from its website.

The $50,000 ‘Administrative support fees’ is not the biggest item in Honour Singapore’s accounts. ‘Consultancy fees’ of $104,000 is twice as large. However, for this item, there were no explanatory notes in the accounts. We cannot see what services were supplied that merited this amount, or who the paid parties were.

At the end of the financial period (31 May 2015), Honour Singapore had a net surplus of three-quarters of a million dollars. It was raking in all this money with no evident use for it.

pic_2016041_02

On 19 and 20 May 2016, Honour Singapore will be back at the Fullerton Hotel. I don’t think you’ll be able to know about this event by surfing the organisation’s website. It can only be seen at a separate domain name, honourinternational.sg. There doesn’t appear to be any hyperlink from the main website. Why? I wonder.

As you can see from there, it’s a one-evening and one-full day symposium with vaporous themes like

The importance of honour for the well-being of nations, organisations, families and individuals across cultures and religions
Winning with honour in business and leadership
Winning with honour in family
Winning with honour in life
(no prizes for spotting more dogwhistle words in there)

The fee to attend is S$3,800. It includes a gala dinner — more champagne under chandeliers? — and two nights’ stay at the Fullerton. Why is accommodation necessary? The Fullerton is barely 200m from Raffles Place MRT station. Perhaps Honour Singapore is thinking of attracting foreigners. But that would be strange since its own mission statement is “To seek the well-being of the nation by promoting a culture of Honour and Honouring” where ‘nation’ presumably means Singapore. Why should it be running an event targetted at foreigners (if indeed the Fullerton event is) if as a charity its work is focussed locally? In any case, if a local guy attended, shouldn’t the cost of the Fullerton stay be a detachable option?

I went to Booking.com, and checked out its price for two nights (19 and 20 May) at the Fullerton. It quoted me S$933 for two nights. That still leaves $2,867 of the $3,800 symposium fee for other things. Like what, I wonder?

pic_201604_05

We may be tempted to laugh it all off. If people want to spend this kind of money, let them — we might say.

But consider this: Lim Siong Guan, the chairman of Honour Singapore and whose name is featured prominently on the symposium site, was the former head of the civil service. He is the current group president of sovereign fund GIC. Should the invitation be sent to various ministries and government agencies to attend, it may prove extremely hard for these departments to decline. Never underestimate the old boy network.

And for each civil servant who attends, where do you think the $3,800 fee will come from? Taxpayer money of course!

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
The new secular power line-up after getting caught.

Mr Lim Siong Guan
Founding Chairman

DIRECTORS
Mrs Fang Ai Lian

Mr Richard Magnus

Haji Mohammad Alami Musa

Mr Philip Ng
CEO,
Far East Organization

Mr Alwi Bin Abdul Hafiz
Sustainability Advisor,
Golden Veroleum Liberia

Ms Janet Ang
Managing Director,
IBM Singapore

Ms Chua Sock Koong
Group CEO,
Singapore Telecommunications

Mr Chua Thian Poh
Chairman & CEO,
Ho Bee Land Limited

Mr Han Kwee Juan
Chief Executive Officer,
Citibank Singapore

Mr Richard Hoon
Chairman & Chief Executive Officer,
I Search Worldwide Group of Companies

Dr Jennifer Lee
Chairman,
Agency for Integrated Care

Mr Laurence Lien
Chairman,
Lien Foundation

Mr Andy Lim
Chairman & Founder,
Tembusu Partners

Mr Charles Lim
Managing Director & General Counsel,
GIC

Mr Lim Soon Hock
Founder & Managing Director,
PLAN-B ICAG

Ms Priscilla Shunmugam
Founder & Designer,
Ong Shunmugam

Ms Vemala Rajamanickam
Consultant,
Allen & Gledhill

Dr Tan See Leng
Managing Director & Chief Executive Officer,
IHH Healthcare Berhad

Professor Edwin Thumboo
Emeritus Professor,
National University of Singapore

Last edited:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not an ngo. Its the reincarnation of the freemason. Note it now includes Muslim, Hindus and freethinkers. Are you going to turn down a call from Lim Siong Guan. It is now the most powerful body of influence.

an NGO with no mission. but lots of cash. Hmmmm

aurvandil

Alfrescian
Loyal
God generally does not hold such groups in very high regard. This is what the bible has to say. The passage was written by James, half brother of Jesus. If you want to name drop, Lim Siong Guan might seem to be a bit of a nobody compared to James.

James 2
1 My brothers, show no partiality as you hold the faith in our Lord Jesus Christ, the Lord of glory.

2 For if a man wearing a gold ring and fine clothing comes into your assembly, and a poor man in shabby clothing also comes in, 3 and if you pay attention to the one who wears the fine clothing and say, “You sit here in a good place,” while you say to the poor man, “You stand over there,” or, “Sit down at my feet,” 4 have you not then made distinctions among yourselves and become judges with evil thoughts? 5 Listen, my beloved brothers, has not God chosen those who are poor in the world to be rich in faith and heirs of the kingdom, which he has promised to those who love him? 6 But you have dishonored the poor man. Are not the rich the ones who oppress you, and the ones who drag you into court? 7 Are they not the ones who blaspheme the honorable name by which you were called?

Not an ngo. Its the reincarnation of the freemason. Note it now includes Muslim, Hindus and freethinkers. Are you going to turn down a call from Lim Siong Guan. It is now the most powerful body of influence.

Last edited:

Leckmichamarsch

Alfrescian
Loyal
Honour Singapore?.............. my foot. In sg there is NO honour at the top!! The top is infested with Christians who are milking the system. Take but do not give!! What fugging honour are we toking about??? When attending court couple of days after Nathan's demise, we were forced to observe a one minute silence...........WTF why must it be forced upon us by CJ Menon???? Indian painting sg w indian ink?