• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Actor Martin Landau from Space 1999 dies.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
I remember that TV series. Loved to watch it and it was a very interesting premise. I even had a plastic model of the Eagle Transporter that I build. From Airfix? can't remember.

Martin Landau, the chameleon-like actor who gained fame as the crafty master of disguise in the 1960s TV show Mission: Impossible, then capped a long and versatile career with an Oscar for his poignant portrayal of aging horror movie star Bela Lugosi in 1994's Ed Wood, has died. He was 89.
Landau died Saturday of unexpected complications during a short stay at UCLA Medical Center, his publicist Dick Guttman said.
Mission: Impossible, which also starred Landau's wife, Barbara Bain, became an immediate hit upon its debut in 1966. It remained on the air until 1973, but Landau and Bain left at the end of the show's third season amid a financial dispute with the producers. They starred in the British-made sci-fi series Space: 1999 from 1975 to 1977.

Landau might have been a superstar but for a role he didn't play — the pointy-eared starship Enterprise science officer, Mr. Spock. Star Trek creator Gene Rodenberry had offered him the half-Vulcan, half-human who attempts to rid his life of all emotion. Landau turned it down.
"A character without emotions would have driven me crazy; I would have had to be lobotomized," he explained in 2001. Instead, he chose Mission: Impossible, and Leonard Nimoy went on to everlasting fame as Spock.

Ironically, Nimoy replaced Landau on Mission: Impossible.

After a brief but impressive Broadway career, Landau had made an auspicious film debut in the late 1950s, playing a soldier in "Pork Chop Hill" and a villain in the Alfred Hitchcock classic "North By Northwest."
He enjoyed far less success after "Mission: Impossible," however, finding he had been typecast as Rollin Hand, the top-secret mission team's disguise wizard. His film career languished for more than a decade, reaching its nadir with his appearance in the 1981 TV movie "The Harlem Globetrotters on Gilligan's Island."

He began to find redemption with a sympathetic role in "Tucker: The Man and his Dream," the 1988 Francis Ford Coppola film that garnered Landau his first Oscar nomination.
He was nominated again the next year for his turn as the adulterous husband in Woody Allen's "Crimes and Misdemeanors."
His third nomination was for Ed Wood, director Tim Burton's affectionate tribute to a man widely viewed as the worst Hollywood filmmaker of all time.
"There was a 10-year period when everything I did was bad. I'd like to go back and turn all those films into guitar picks," Landau said after accepting his Oscar.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset

Martin_Landau-Mission-1968.jpg

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Read somewhere that Landau & his wifey, Barbara Bain, were prima donnas. They made sure that their co-stars didn't upstage them:smile:

blackmore

Alfrescian
Loyal
Read somewhere that Landau & his wifey, Barbara Bain, were prima donnas. They made sure that their co-stars didn't upstage them:smile:

Typical Jew behavior ; not surprise if they were prima donnas ; I bet they could not care less and enjoy that the audience love them .

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
A lot of people say he was a nice guy, read his tributes.

Same thing happened when LKY up the lorry :smile:
However look at what happen to those who didn't agree e.g. Amos Yee :wink:

The observation was made by Sylvia Anderson she was one of those who help create Space 1999 & other British shows. The comments was made during this interview.

[video=youtube;ohyE-BljdJs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohyE-BljdJs[/video]

Last edited:

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
wah lan eh how the fuck old are u fogeys on this site?jurassic park era?i watch some old movies and tv shows sometimes but i dont feel nostalgic about them because im not born in that era.

that is machiam like 1968 planet of the apes cinematic technology.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
wah lan eh how the fuck old are u fogeys on this site?jurassic park era?i watch some old movies and tv shows sometimes but i dont feel nostalgic about them because im not born in that era.

that is machiam like 1968 planet of the apes cinematic technology.

I remember watching those monkeys in 1968 when I was very young :smile:
After a few of these movies they made it into a TV series.

I notice that there is a revival of the Planet of the Apes movies. The latest is titled "War for the Planet of the Apes" which was recently released. If you wait long enough the same type of movies are going to be made by Hollywood.