• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious Judge Will Not Jail Former Top Commando SMU Grad Lest It Jeopardizes His Career!

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Screenshot-from-Linkedin.png

Prosecutors wanted a credit-card cheat to be put behind bars for three months, but the court decided instead to give the newly minted Singapore Management University (SMU) graduate a short detention order of 14 days and 220 hours of community service.

The prosecution is now appealing against the sentence given to Goh Bing Kun, 27.

Goh had admitted using a debit card found by an accomplice at Zouk on Jan 24, 2015 - both men used it to buy drinks. The next day, they used the card again to buy other items, including two iPhones from a store in Bencoolen Street.

Goh , who was once awarded National Serviceman of the Year while he was with the 1st Commando Battalion, was then studying at SMU. He recently graduated and is now a management trainee.

The police nabbed him and his accomplice J Xander Roslan, 28, about two weeks after the card owner, Mr Evan Kong, 24, reported the unauthorised transactions. Roslan is due to be dealt with separately.

Goh admitted to three charges - two for cheating and one for misappropriating the debit card. Eight other charges were taken into consideration. All were for cheating to induce the delivery of property.

Goh paid back the total sum lost by Mr Kong, which amounted to $3,945.95, in July 2015.

Deputy Public Prosecutor Bryan Leow argued that the offences were serious enough for Goh to be jailed for three weeks and two months respectively for the two cheating charges, and one month for the misappropriation charge, with the latter two terms to run consecutively.

But Goh's lawyer James Ow Yong countered that rehabilitation should be the dominant sentencing consideration.

"Deterrence is well achieved through community-based sentences (CBS)," he said, adding that Goh is progressing well in his career, among other things.

In judgment grounds issued earlier this month, District Judge Low Wee Ping agreed that CBS was appropriate.

It "can achieve an even stronger deterrent effect with a short period of incarceration, while not extend to such a long period as to jeopardise the accused's career and future prospects", the judge said.

He noted that Goh had voluntarily sought counselling and taken ownership of his mistakes, and he accepted that Goh was " significantly remorseful".

Goh's sentence has been stayed pending the appeal.

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/courts-crime/stiffer-sentence-sought-for-card-cheat

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Steal bread from supermarket used to track mandatory 1 day jail term under CJ Pung. Used card to buy drinks and iPhone can do community service. What a fucked up approach. Why not send him a enotice and ask him to pay by nets his fine.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
There is a trend now to not jail fresh graduates with a bright future ahead of them lest it jeopardizes their career. Here's another case from UK. I am glad I sent my kids to the best schools and hired them the best tutors. With their good results, even if they fuck up in life, the impact will be greatly cushioned. Your average express student or chao ah beng student from the neighbourhood school will go to jail instead.

_96084706_mediaitem96085306.jpg

An "extraordinary" Oxford University student who stabbed her ex-boyfriend in the leg may avoid jail as it would affect her career prospects, a judge has said.

Lavinia Woodward, 24, attacked the man at Christ Church college, while she was under the influence of drink and drugs.
She admitted inflicting grievous body harm, the Oxford Mail reported.

At Oxford Crown Court, Judge Ian Pringle QC said he believed the attack was "a complete one-off".

"To prevent this extraordinary, able young lady from following her long-held desire to enter the profession she wishes to, would be a sentence which would be too severe," he said.
Laptop thrown

"What you did will never, I know, leave you, but it was pretty awful, and normally it would attract a custodial sentence."

Medical student Woodward met the Cambridge University student on dating app Tinder, the court heard.

During the attack at the college, she thumped him, lunged at him with a bread knife, and stabbed him in the leg.

She also threw a laptop, glass, and jam jar at him before stabbing herself, the court heard.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-39947017

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
Steal bread from supermarket used to track mandatory 1 day jail term under CJ Pung. Used card to buy drinks and iPhone can do community service. What a fucked up approach. Why not send him a enotice and ask him to pay by nets his fine.

If you take got return it is not call steal. It is call borrow. Goh borrow money without asking. Serious but he know goods and services exchanged need to be pay for with moneys. Bread thieves take without paying. More serious!

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
There is a trend now to not jail fresh graduates with a bright future ahead of them lest it jeopardizes their career. Here's another case from UK. I am glad I sent my kids to the best schools and hired them the best tutors. With their good results, even if they fuck up in life, the impact will be greatly cushioned. Your average express student or chao ah beng student from the neighbourhood school will go to jail instead.

U are their father, means your kids are already fucked up for life.

KuanTi01

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
U are their father, means your kids are already fucked up for life.

Sorry ah John! I read this post by Papsmearer and couldn't resist laughing out loud because he is basically saying Like father like son. Very keen and incisive observation!

Debonerman

Alfrescian
Loyal
This judge must have raped an unconscious woman behind a dumpster and was not caught during his uni days. Could it be a case of there goes I if not for the grace of God.

Semaj2357

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Sorry ah John! I read this post by Papsmearer and couldn't resist laughing out loud because he is basically saying Like father like son. Very keen and incisive observation!
korekt and agree absolutely, since the apple doesn't fall far from the tree....styrofoam boxes to tarpow oso nearby, knn :biggrin:

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

she's extraordinarily brilliant, a savant bordering on genius. must be fully protected and specially manhandled for the sake of mankind. she could be the future prodigous savior of 6.9 billion ordinaries, such as uncovering the cause and cure for all types of cancer, or discovering the antidote for aging, or unraveling the mystery of beforelife and afterlife, or finding the cataclysmic rhythm or cycle of destructive asteroid clusters circling the galaxy.

EunoiaJAYCEE

Alfrescian
Loyal
she's extraordinarily brilliant, a savant bordering on genius. must be fully protected and specially manhandled for the sake of mankind. she could be the future prodigous savior of 6.9 billion ordinaries, such as uncovering the cause and cure for all types of cancer, or discovering the antidote for aging, or unraveling the mystery of beforelife and afterlife, or finding the cataclysmic rhythm or cycle of destructive asteroid clusters circling the galaxy.

Do you even know the meaning of manhandled?????

Semaj2357

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
could've sworn that you were referring to a fatfugging kuntard that resides in buangkok and providing epoch-making discoveries (broke-back hymen but remaining a virgin at that) and advice (can exercise and loose some weight)...oh fuck me dead! and reported to polis too, claiming to have been manhandled here :biggrin: