• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Trying to renew passport online is so stupid

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I'm trying to renew my Spore passport online & finding it so lame.

I only have to do it every 5 years & I don't understand why they make it so difficult. The last time I renewed my passport I didn't need a Singpass & now I am required to provide my Singpass information:mad:

I have never found a good reason to use my Singpass. I don't see why I need it now just to renew my passport? If I go down personally to the passport office are they going to ask me for my Singpass? Of course not. Then why do I need to include it just because I'm renew my passport online?

I know that there are many useless civil servants who have to justify their existence but why make life difficult for the "lesser mortals".

Well anyway I find that it is now harder to do things online & I'll probably just have to go personally down twice to immigration just to to renew & get my passport. Bah Spore a smart city:rolleyes:

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Singpass is for online security. Actually Singapore having the Singpass as a one password that covers many govt organizations is quite good.

You can use Singpass to access CPF online also. CDP. HDB.

Debonerman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just trying to get your photograph downloaded is as painful as it can get. Resize,,,,,,resize......resize....

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why bother if you only need to renew your passport or do the odd things. Just treat as an opportunity to visit a hawker stall along the way or near the place. I know of people who have been born into the digital world, do a lot of online purchase, do all banking and payments online but will just head to a govt dept to get the occasional thing done.

PAP wants to be smart nation but can't even provide basic security to authenticate people despite we were one of the first countries to issue national ID. MOM labour system has been breached by an ordinary work pass holders, CPF credentials have been compromised not once but twice. Army personnel records compromised months ago but not told etc. Can you trust them? They are building a whole new authentication with the help of DSO and a company called V-key. One of the most senior Information Security person was sacked by a foreign bank for transferring his previous employer citibank's documents to his new employer another foreign bank and got caught. And he is our information security expert.

Why you think they unhooked their PC from the internet. Yet they to want the public to access the internet with poor authentication.

Just trying to get your photograph downloaded is as painful as it can get. Resize,,,,,,resize......resize....

Last edited:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Singpass is for online security. Actually Singapore having the Singpass as a one password that covers many govt organizations is quite good.

You can use Singpass to access CPF online also. CDP. HDB.

I don't use Singpass. If I want to check on my CPF I just go down personally to the CPF office. I've never had to find out about CDP, HDB,... that is why I never renewed my Singpass when they sent me a renewal notice a few years ago.

I've already got too many passwords to remember that I have to write them down somewhere. Certainly don't need another password which I will use only once every 5 years.

The silly thing about the passport renewal thing is that although that capability is available 7 days a week, if you have to recover your Singpass it can only be done during office hours & at a branch office. Last time I did a passport renewal I didn't need a Singpass & the only reason I can think of that they have made it a requirement is to make Singpass more relevant because I suspect that the majority of people didn't use it :smile: So someone is protecting their rice bowl.

I remember visiting the CPF office & people were being shown how to use Singpass, eh.. actually they were being forced to use it :wink:

FYI hackers are targetting Spore gov't sites http://www.asiaone.com/singapore/ica-warns-public-fake-websites-phish-passport-visa-numbers

When you renew your passport, they will already have your personal details on record & you don't need to provide this info again. When you collect your new passport you will have to show your IC. So the process does not require the security of a Singpass.

Since they are making it so difficult I'll just have to go down personally to submit my application manually. There is food court nearby that sells good hokkian mee. Haven't been there since 5 years, the last time I renewed my passport

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Why now must renew passport every five years?what the shit....saf must acknowledge once a year,ops Manning must man once a year,ippt must ippt every year, otherwise liable for fuck u in the ass jail.this country really like don't want to let u go.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
aiyah. gov provide you ipsec encryption with vpn login via singpass, you also kpkb. it's secure, and it's easy to use. just get on with the times and do it. only the sg gov provide single sign on with security. other govs will make you sign on with different accounts without protection for every friggin gov department. i'm impressed. the only pet peeve i have is pubic wi-fi access at chiongi airport. knn. must send them your mobile number in order for them to text you access code for wi-fi log-in. for international mobile, it takes over 15 minutes and many times no text message. and the log in time limit is only 15 minutes. knnccb. whoever administers pubic wi-fi at cheongi has to be fired. pmo and ida, do you get my message?

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Why bother if you only need to renew your passport or do the odd things. Just treat as an opportunity to visit a hawker stall along the way or near the place. I know of people who have been born into the digital world, do a lot of online purchase, do all banking and payments online but will just head to a govt dept to get the occasional thing done.

PAP wants to be smart nation but can't even provide basic security to authenticate people despite we were one of the first countries to issue national ID. MOM labour system has been breached by an ordinary work pass holders, CPF credentials have been compromised not once but twice. Army personnel records compromised months ago but not told etc. Can you trust them? They are building a whole new authentication with the help of DSO and a company called V-key. One of the most senior Information Security person was sacked by a foreign bank for transferring his previous employer citibank's documents to his new employer another foreign bank and got caught. And he is our information security expert.

Why you think they unhooked their PC from the internet. Yet they to want the public to access the internet with poor authentication.

What do you expect from their leader, who is advocating stealing other people's lunch!....it takes a thief to know a thief, that is why the got that Information Security Expert.

ICA Building is very accessible, just take the train to Lavender Station, get off the exit at the side of ICA Building, go upstairs, take a Queue number....& get the passport renewed & do the same, when one received, the notification that is is early. You can find food on both sides of the MRT Station & even at ICA Building.

On-line systems weren't design to make things easy, it is to make things easier for them, they do less work.

Reddog

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm trying to renew my Spore passport online & finding it so lame.

I only have to do it every 5 years & I don't understand why they make it so difficult. The last time I renewed my passport I didn't need a Singpass & now I am required to provide my Singpass information:mad:

I have never found a good reason to use my Singpass. I don't see why I need it now just to renew my passport? If I go down personally to the passport office are they going to ask me for my Singpass? Of course not. Then why do I need to include it just because I'm renew my passport online?

I know that there are many useless civil servants who have to justify their existence but why make life difficult for the "lesser mortals".

Well anyway I find that it is now harder to do things online & I'll probably just have to go personally down twice to immigration just to to renew & get my passport. Bah Spore a smart city:rolleyes:

You have just exposed your ignorance (and lack of self control). Online renewal is a breeze. The 2FA using singpass is for additional necessary cybersecurity. Please do not forget to take your medicine.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nowadays with biometric ones, lagi worse...every time you renew yr pp, it has a new number!

Imagine all the hassle having to update overseas visas, passes, PR cards and getting stuck at ports of entry, because your new pp has to be recognised and reconnected back to previous approvals?

Why can't they maintain the old numbering system that used the NRIC, or at least one damned number whatever it may be?

Wonder if it is the same practice the world over?

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Nowadays with biometric ones, lagi worse...every time you renew yr pp, it has a new number!

Imagine all the hassle having to update overseas visas, passes, PR cards and getting stuck at ports of entry, because your new pp has to be recognised and reconnected back to previous approvals?

Why can't they maintain the old numbering system that used the NRIC, or at least one damned number whatever it may be?

Wonder if it is the same practice the world over?

Each time renew passport in Canada is a new pp number also.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You have just exposed your ignorance (and lack of self control). Online renewal is a breeze. The 2FA using singpass is for additional necessary cybersecurity. Please do not forget to take your medicine.

I'm just your typical older Sporean "lesser mortal" who is criticising how things are now implemented. I didn't find it a breeze because they now require a Singpass which I don't have & getting it is just another hurdle you have to jump through.

Previously the only problem was the requirement for cropping of the photo but now the more serious road block is the requirement of a Singpass account.

If I am having problems dealing with the systems then you can bet that others are facing the same problems.
I have to agree with others that automation is being used by the gov't to make life easier for "them" & not for the end user.

I have a passport specially taken & yet I have to go into the system & have it crop to "their" specification :eek: Why can't they accept a simple "passport" photo:confused: If they need to crop a "passport" photo why can't they do it at their end or have their system handle it:confused:

The steps one is required to follow is not clear. I actually did the photo cropping part, before I found out that I needed to have a Singpass. I'm not surprised by these problems because things in Spore are going from bad to worse.

One finds out about these problems 1st hand if you live in Spore i.e. elevators breaking down, trains breaking down, automated passport systems that are not so reliable, online systems that are not user friendly,.... Of course if you have a car & live on landed property you will not face most of these problems. However I am not so lucky.

Last edited:

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset

Because those jiak liao bee cibil serpents go surf Inkteneck, go click on click-baits, got hit by Trojans, ransom-wares, viruses and what-have-you... Teehee...

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I'm just your typical older Sporean "lesser mortal" who is criticising how things are now implemented. I didn't find it a breeze because they now require a Singpass which I don't have & getting it is just another hurdle you have to jump through.

Previously the only problem was the requirement for cropping of the photo but now the more serious road block is the requirement of a Singpass account.

If I am having problems dealing with the systems then you can bet that others are facing the same problems.
I have to agree with others that automation is being used by the gov't to make life easier for "them" & not for the end user.

I have a passport specially taken & yet I have to go into the system & have it crop to "their" specification :eek: Why can't they accept a simple "passport" photo:confused: If they need to crop a "passport" photo why can't they do it at their end or have their system handle it:confused:

The steps one is required to follow is not clear. I actually did the photo cropping part, before I found out that I needed to have a Singpass. I'm not surprised by these problems because things in Spore are going from bad to worse.

One finds out about these problems 1st hand if you live in Spore i.e. elevators breaking down, trains breaking down, automated passport systems that are not so reliable, online systems that are not user friendly,.... Of course if you have a car & live on landed property you will not face most of these problems. However I am not so lucky.

Go out, look at the 'miserable' world around you, get some civilisation, eat some food, join the hassle, hustle & bustle of life, get some sunshine, breathe in the polluted air..will do you some good. First, any on line system they design is to befuddle you, it makes their life easier to collect good pay by going through the motion. Just, go take public transport...the MRT Station exit os just at ICA entrance...it is all covered, no need to get wet when it rains...food is plenty around there & while you are there view the display of seized vehicles....

No need to moan about cropping the photo & they will tell you on the spot, if the photo you had brought along is to their standard & look & not...you go to the mini photo kiosk here & take some for some moolah....use the human ones, in case they don't like the machine taken ones...

Why moan...you want the minister & ICA team, come to your place & do the processing for you?

fupikee

Alfrescian
Loyal

Presumably you are a working adult and has accessed internet everyday. And you have problems doing online passport renewal. Imagine, how many more times the problem will be magnified for the older folks in their 60s and 70s. Out of the blue, they need to do this, do that on line, apply for this apply for that on line. Worse, now handphone needs to be 3G and above, again, another on line device. What a nightmare. Some of them I know just gave up if no one is available to help them. That is why you see so many of the older folks in poverty and trying just to eke out living working odd and menial jobs.

Smart nation my ass....it is just benefitting the kerlings who swarm in to be coders and programmers to set up & maintain systems that are cocked up and extremely user unfriendly....and of course some people behind are masok masok big time...maybe even get to enjoy a Pamela Sue or two....fucking useless pappies....Singapore civil service and services are turning into useless, money wasting fat white elephants, benefitting the few and causing miseries to the rest...only credit they can broadcast when they are given their annual reward (budgeted every year, woh) to travel overseas....we are the highest paid servile serpents in the world...yes, the world, LUMPAR ONE!!!!:eek::eek:

Dark Knight

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The most annoying thing about renewing passport online is uploading the photo.
They will reject the photo claiming that "your face is not easily recognizable" even though it seems nothing wrong with it.
The irony is that your photo will be "laser printed" on the passport and you yourself don't even recognize that it's the one you uploaded it.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Presumably you are a working adult and has accessed internet everyday. And you have problems doing online passport renewal. Imagine, how many more times the problem will be magnified for the older folks in their 60s and 70s. Out of the blue, they need to do this, do that on line, apply for this apply for that on line. Worse, now handphone needs to be 3G and above, again, another on line device. What a nightmare. Some of them I know just gave up if no one is available to help them. That is why you see so many of the older folks in poverty and trying just to eke out living working odd and menial jobs.

Smart nation my ass....it is just benefitting the kerlings who swarm in to be coders and programmers to set up & maintain systems that are cocked up and extremely user unfriendly....and of course some people behind are masok masok big time...maybe even get to enjoy a Pamela Sue or two....fucking useless pappies....Singapore civil service and services are turning into useless, money wasting fat white elephants, benefitting the few and causing miseries to the rest...only credit they can broadcast when they are given their annual reward (budgeted every year, woh) to travel overseas....we are the highest paid servile serpents in the world...yes, the world, LUMPAR ONE!!!!:eek::eek:

My sentiments exactly :smile:
Tax dollars are being wasted on all these projects that are not going to improve the lifes of the majority of Sporeans. It is what you find in countries with corruption:wink:

The last time I used the online system was 5 years ago & found it better because you didn't have to use Singpass. However you still had the stupid cropping requirement. It's been 5 years & you still need to do cropping :eek: I doubt that anybody in the gov't still remembers why people need to crop a passport photo. The people involved have probably moved on leaving behind the mess they created behind.

Unfortunately the PAP disease is spreading to the private sector. Citi's telephone banking system has become a mess & I no longer use it like in the pass :( I would move my account but I doubt things are better at the other banks.