• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Question Time - Race and the Presidential Elections

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
The BC/NRIC changes were initiated in 2010, before Tony Tan's expected PE. It was driven by Ang Mos married to local partners lobbying the govt. The rest however is completely engineered to ensure PAP's control over PE eligible candidates.

Thanks for the explanation scroobal. Seems to me that the PAP has this all planned out already with the candidates in mind.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
The BC/NRIC changes were initiated in 2010, before Tony Tan's expected PE. It was driven by Ang Mos married to local partners lobbying the govt. The rest however is completely engineered to ensure PAP's control over PE eligible candidates.

It is already an extremely controlled process what with all the requirements set. There is even a selection committee if I recall that has to approve the candidates eligibility to run.

I think TCB surprised PAP at the last PE. Tan Kin Lian was also approved so that he could split the votes.

As you said just enjoy the show. It is easier for me to enjoy the show these days as I have no vested interest in the outcome. :smile:

CABcommander

Alfrescian
Loyal
If HY is representing pap then doesn't matter she is whatever chup cheng. She will qualify.

If HY is representing oppo then will be disqualified right away.

So simple.

shittypore

Alfrescian
Loyal
Tis whole race issue is to prevent TCB or anyone not within the PAP camp to be the next puppet. Go around shake hands , cut ribbons and selfie wit Sinkies get pd 3 over million, whoah!

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think there are 3 main challenges to the PAP for the PE?

1) the whole PE does not work for the PAP because people know they are not voting in a functioning govt and more freely with their person of choice. Even the first PE, OTC only got 6 put of 10 while total and reluctant candidate who made only a state controlled TV speech got 4 out of 10. For Nathan's 2 terms, they had to disqualify candidates both times and there was no elections. Albeit these candidates who desired the role in public are not qualified but non one is sure if there were others who sought some kind of tacit consent but were turned down.

2. The Malay pool is very limited and the bulk of them are DKKs. And the fact that rules does not even require a Malay strictly shows their desperation. This arguement is aided by the fact the previous pool of candidates have been expanded by definition to now include senior post in politics without any stewardship on financials compared to higher requirements for the commercial sector.

In the late 80s when Mahathir made comments about Malays in SAF. The Govt presented I think 7 SAF officers of supposedly Malay origin som of whom were called by from their studies to appear at the press conference. All turned out be Muslims (yes) and all DKKs, including Pakistani and Arab admixture. BG Ishak the highest ranking was a student then. Damn nice guy but he married a Chinese.

3. And then there is TCB. Its a given who will win and they cannot this trick again of throwing someone to split the votes like Tan Jee Say who ran his last company to financial ruin (liquidated) and there is no other criteria how he could have got the cert in the first place.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agree. Son does not have the political courage like his father who will do anything to make quick and clean for the PAP. Father who have started by releasing years ago all the things that TCB did bad even trivia or completely removed PE to prevent any form of choice they cannot control.

Tis whole race issue is to prevent TCB or anyone not within the PAP camp to be the next puppet. Go around shake hands , cut ribbons and selfie wit Sinkies get pd 3 over million, whoah!

kelton65

Alfrescian
Loyal
The answers below in blue and the explanation. Forummer Smiley is closest with the answers.

Q1. Your father is Indian and your mother is Malay, what is the race allowed on your BC / NRIC and thereafter applicable to everything else in your life?
A1. It can be Malay or Indian or the use of double barrelled surnames with both combinations - Indian-Malay or Malay-Indian. It should be noted that all younger siblings must follow the eldest sibling choice

Q2. Is it race or ethnicity the operating word for PE?
A2 Both race and ethnicity is no longer a requirement to qualify. For example, a candidate for a Malay only PE, 2 conditions must occur - (1) he considers himself or herself a member of the Malay community and (2) the committee of 5 appointed by the PM determines that the candidates is indeed a member of the Malay committee. This means that HY, Zainal Abideen who are both DKKs and Abdullah Tarmugi who mum is Chinese qualifies.

What is interesting is there is provision that legal and technical consideration cannot used be used to determine an candidate eligibility. It means that what is on the NRIC cannot be used.

Q3. Can a Singaporean with an NRIC carrying his race as Mexican contest the reserved PE for Malays?
A3 Yes. Here is why. Candidate whose father is Mexican and Mother Malay has in his NRIC "Mexican as the parents chose it only needs to show that he considers himself as a member of the Malay community.

Further explanation.
- It is a given that Malay candidate has to be a muslim to be considered a member of the Malay community though no religion is mentioned.
- The way it is written, a biological Indian, dark as charcoal who happens to be raised by Chinese parents can qualify as a Chinese candidate if he had taken to Chinese ways in practice and the Chinese committee agrees.

Seriously about the race criteria part? I had no idea that PAP has embraced the concept of race fluidity conceived by the leftist liberal from the west.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Both the British and American Chambers of Commerce have been long term strong lobby groups in Singapore. Their members marrying the locals and having kids with NS have been there for 4 decades. They for instance are provided specific and clear instructions on NS, drug possession and use including "special provision" for expats in matters of drug offences by civil servants providing and presenting at their venues to their chosen audience.

The Europeans for instance are dead against their children as Eurasians as they consider Eurasians as a sub-species by itselfs similar to creoles ( lower in society in their eyes) and want no part of it. They also want the change for personal agenda. A German married to a Chinese may prefer the race as German without the word Chinese in any docu mntation to faciltate matters back home down the road. Then you have bleeding liberals, women's rights etc who want as many hyphens as possible to save the World.

Now that choice has been given them.

Seriously about the race criteria part? I had no idea that PAP has embraced the concept of race fluidity conceived by the leftist liberal from the west.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
As PE terms expires on 31st Aug, it is likely that JY Pillay will step in as acting PM. I suspect writ will be issued in Aug but the new process needs more time for candidates to be considered as a member (not a bilogical malay) of Malay community. Unless the courts steps in or the govt chnages it mind in terms of timing and have JY carry on for while.

Only 4 months away - june , july , august and sept but unlikely to be sept, that means within nexxt 3 months.

CoffeeAhSoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
As PE terms expires on 31st Aug, it is likely that JY Pillay will step in as acting PM. I suspect writ will be issued in Aug but the new process needs more time for candidates to be considered as a member (not a bilogical malay) of Malay community. Unless the courts steps in or the govt chnages it mind in terms of timing and have JY carry on for while.

Will tcb current court actions derail upset this eventline ?