• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious Land Banking Walton Main Group Up The Lorry! But Sinkie Branch Walton Says Still Ok!

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
TORONTO • Real estate investment and development firm Walton International Group and its 32 affiliates filed for creditor protection in a Canadian court last month after blaming two recessions for their financial turmoil.

The developer, which buys land in the path of anticipated growth and sells it at a profit, was involved in real estate projects spanning 42,500ha in North America, and had US$253 million (S$355 million) in liabilities, media reports said.

A Canadian court granted creditor protection in the last week of last month, giving time to Walton International and its affiliates to restructure under the Companies' Creditors Arrangement Act, the Financial Post reported earlier this week.

The applicants are part of Calgary-based Walton Group, which comprises hundreds of trusts, corporations and partnerships in Canada, the United States and Germany, the Post reported, quoting documents filed by monitor Ernst & Young.

Nine of Walton International's projects have been caught up in its financial difficulties and are part of the restructuring process, including two Calgary industrial parks and four residential neighbourhoods in Edmonton, capital of Canada's Alberta province, the Calgary Herald reported.

Singapore entities 'not affected'
Calgary-based property developer Walton International Group's entities in the United States and Asia are not affected by the creditor protection and restructuring plan under the Companies' Creditors Arrangement Act (CCAA).

Out of more than 600 enatities within the Walton Group of Companies, only 33 Canadian entities related to eight development projects in Alberta have entered the CCAA proceeding, it said yesterday.

"The CCAA entities have no direct relation to pre-development land projects owned by investors in Asia... The projects held by Asian investors (including Singapore investors) remain sound," it said in response to a Straits Times query.

It added that Walton Singapore will continue to operate in the normal course of business as what is happening to Walton Canada will not affect the Singapore investors.

According to court documents, Walton Group was hit by the lingering effects of the 2008 recession, a decline in the US real estate market and a downturn in Canada's Alberta province after a commodity price crash.

As a result, Walton International lost US$67.3 million in the last three years.

Company chief executive William Doherty said the province's "depressed" economy led to weakened demand for real estate, lower property values and sales declines, according to court documents.

"These economic conditions have in turn created a tight credit market for real estate developers, making it relatively difficult to obtain financing extensions and new project financing," he said.

Sales volumes for the Walton Group's pre-development land investments fell from US$117 million in 2013 to nearly US$20 million last year, an 83 per cent drop.

The group has been slashing costs to control its losses, including cutting its workforce in North America from 469 people in 2013 to 96 as of late last month, the Herald reported.

Its Singapore entity Walton International Group (S) has been on the Monetary Authority of Singapore's (MAS) Investor Alert List since October 2015.

The list is a non-exhaustive index of unregulated entities that may have been wrongly perceived to be licensed or authorised by the MAS.

http://www.straitstimes.com/business/walton-international-in-creditor-protection

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Land Banking Walton Main Group Up The Lorry! But Sinkie Branch Walton Says Still

More good news it seems.

Bonut

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Land Banking Walton Main Group Up The Lorry! But Sinkie Branch Walton Says Still

I remember Jimmy Greaves was their brand ambassador or whatever it's called.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

I've heard of this land banking group. Some of my friends joined them years ago and tried to get me to invest in some land parcel in Alberta. They told me buy farmland cheap cheap, wait till canada government rezone the land for residential or commercial use, and then sure huat huat!

Looks like Canada isn't doing as well as people think. Otherwise, Walton wouldn't have upped the lorry.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I've heard of this land banking group. Some of my friends joined them years ago and tried to get me to invest in some land parcel in Alberta. They told me buy farmland cheap cheap, wait till canada government rezone the land for residential or commercial use, and then sure huat huat!

Looks like Canada isn't doing as well as people think. Otherwise, Walton wouldn't have upped the lorry.

land banking in the wrong location is tough. canada has so much land and semi-urban sprawl is confined to tight city boundaries so much so that land banking in canada is a lost cause. unlike u.s.a. where you can expect the growth path to creep to suburbs 6.9 miles away, in canada the limits of city services such as sewage and water stop short and the land bank can sit idle for decades. even in lancaster near l.a. the ground water dries up from drought and land bank has been sitting idle for over a decade. avoid land banks. it's speculative for amateurs and not for the masses.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal

A Singaporean and ex-army officer Gerald Foo heads the Asian Business and works with his brother Chris Foo. Very interesting pair.

cocobobo

Alfrescian
Loyal

Profitable Plots was that other one

LOL2015

Alfrescian
Loyal

Cool story Loser JohnTan :rolleyes:

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

Land banking is always a scam, and these guys in particular. I remember I attended on of their seminars a few years ago. they were marketing land banking in Birmingham, UK. Each so call piece of land they were trying to sell was only about 2-3000 sq ft. What they do is they buy a huge piece of land, then subdivide it into many smaller pieces and then sell it to gullible sinkies and call it land banking

potter

Alfrescian
Loyal

Mountain tall; Emperor far. Piece of land title also not under yr name.
Buy JB property better, can see can touch. :smile:

But you also must open your eyes big big.

Last edited: