• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious It's Official! Half the Working Sinkie Pioneers Are Poor!

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
The poverty rate has been rising the working elderly, one study shows. Why do seniors here feel the need to work for long hours and low pay, despite the help schemes available for the needy?

For more than 10 years, 85-year-old Ng Teak Boon has made a living selling ice-cream – but his life hasn’t been quite as sweet. Recently, his housemate has disappeared, and he’s run into problems paying his bills. Read more: Singapore's elderly working poor This is part of CNA Insider's regional series on elderly poverty.

SINGAPORE: They get taken for beggars sometimes as they poke through the trash, by people who exclaim “eiyuh!” in disgust. Impatient drivers honk as the duo push their laden trolleys along the road.

“My brother cannot hear the cars horn,” said the man who asked to be known as ‘Eddie’. “When I tell them he cannot speak or hear, most say sorry. Others curse and say, ‘****, lah, I don’t care’.”

The 63-year-old has long since learned to swallow his pride and let such comments slide, over 20 years of doing what he must to look after his deaf-mute brother, who is 68 and diabetic.

This includes scrounging for odd jobs, in between forays to pick and sell cardboard around their Serangoon one-room rental flat, in any weather.

sg-elderly-eddie.jpg

'Eddie', 63, and his brother who is 68 , deaf-mute and diabetic, both make a living picking and selling cardboard.

“We’ve collected in the rain. I got sick. It's okay when (my brother) falls sick; I cannot fall sick, because I am basically his ears and head, so he’s in trouble,” said Eddie, who pushes a trolley stacked with cardboard higher than his 1.5-metre frame.

A good day is when the brothers collectively make about S$20. That’s with a haul of nearly 200kg, depending on price fluctuations. Said Eddie: “After a long time, our bones start to ache. It really hurts.”

SAVINGS WIPED OUT

Life had looked a lot different, once.

Back then, Singapore, like Eddie, was young and the economy booming (“if you wanted jobs, there was one for you,” as he put it). Earning steady money as a factory worker, construction labourer, driver and printer, he built up a family and a comfortable nest egg over the years.

Then cancer struck, twice – taking from him both his wife and his mother within the space of a year, and wiping out his life savings and most of his Medisave, he said.
Eddie was left to care full-time for his deaf-mute brother, which meant he could no longer hold a steady job. His brother’s life as a cardboard-picker became his own. “No choice. Back then there weren’t all these concessions for the elderly, or Pioneer Generation card; we had only ourselves to rely on.”

As Singapore ages, the number of seniors who work into their silver years is growing too – especially among the lower-income group, for whom retirement is an alien concept.

elderly-worker---1982416.png

In recent years they have become more visible as food court cleaners, servers, security guards, tissue-sellers and scrap collectors. Given Singapore’s plethora of help schemes for the needy – such as the Pioneer Generation Package (PGP) and Silver Support Scheme for the old – why do the elderly poor feel the need to work for long hours and often low pay?

Do the jobs that the elderly poor do, as well as society’s safety nets, offer them adequate sense of security and quality of life in their old age?

RELATIVE POVERTY RISING AMONG THE WORKING ELDERLY

In a 2015 paper on elderly poverty in Singapore written for the Tsao Foundation, Assistant Professor Ng Kok Hoe of the Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy made one surprising observation – while the poverty rate among elderly persons not working had fallen over the years, that for elderly persons in the workforce appeared to have actually increased dramatically.

The poverty rate among the working elderly jumped from 13 per cent in 1995, to 28 per cent in 2005 - to 41 per cent in 2011.

“This should be a strong reminder that work cannot be relied upon as the only, or even the primary, response to income insecurity in old age,” Dr Ng wrote.

“In labour markets where older workers are likely to end up in low-paying and undesirable jobs, work may decrease their quality of life without raising their standard of living.”
According to Manpower Ministry figures, in 2016 about 23 per cent of persons over 65 in the formal workforce were earning less than S$1,000 a month. That’s less than the 36 per cent in 2013, and 57 per cent in 2003, indicating that earnings for elderly workers have been rising.

But inflation and wages in the rest of society have also risen. And Dr Ng’s calculation draws the comparison between the elderly and the general population. It uses 40 per cent of the median population work income as a “convenient poverty line”, and compares that to elderly individuals’ incomes (which, besides work, could include sources such as children and state assistance).

cleaner--1----1005402.jpg

Overall, Dr Ng has estimated that 6 in 10 elderly people in Singapore in 2011 were poor by that measurement.

He acknowledges that what is considered poor “is debatable”, and notes that a project commissioned by the Tsao Foundation is looking into how much elderly households actually need for a decent standard of living in Singapore. (Singapore has no official statistics when it comes to elderly poverty, or poverty for that matter.)

WHY WORK?

“In Singapore, no money how to live?”, is what Mr Ong Hock Soon says if asked why he is working long hours as a hawker’s assistant at the age of 69.

But in the same breath, he’ll tell you that he has turned down offers of social assistance, and would rather be self-reliant and “work until cannot move”. That mentality of independence is something that crops up repeatedly among the working elderly.

Ms Nurasyikin Amir once thought like most people – that seniors should stop going around collecting heavy loads of cardboard. “Like, rest at home, you’re old, retired already,” said the volunteer with the Happy People Helping People Foundation, which assists cardboard collectors like Eddie.

“But what we came to realise is that when they collect boxes, they feel more empowered; they are earning their own money, even though it’s not much, maybe S$2, up to S$10 a day. Who are we to stop them, right?” she said.

elderly-singapore---2070566.png

Some don’t want to be a burden on their children. Like food-court cleaner Wong Yeow Kee, 85, who works a 3pm to 11pm shift,

I have children, but I like to smoke and drink, so I work to support my habit and enjoy life. I don’t want to ask for their money.
Even when he’d chalked up hefty arrears, Mr Ng Teak Boon, 85, never thought about asking agencies for help. Estranged from his five children, he has been selling ice cream for 20 years from a pushcart, living on roughly S$950 a month from earnings and Silver Support payments.

“I will sell ice cream until I die,” he said. “It’s better to go outside. If you stay at home and watch TV, you will fall sick.”

Read more at http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news...d-insecurities-of-singapore-s-elderly-8824490

Last edited:

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
No such thing as poor people, only lazy ones! Must be they are lazy bums refuse to upskill.

Cottonmouth

Alfrescian
Loyal
Which fucking cheebye minister was it who called it an exercise??

I hope his mother get a stroke, ask him to douche her cheebye everyday!!

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
No country n society can afford to look after the old n Infirmed for long. Better to give them the Soylent Green option. Better to die with dignity than live without. Look at this chap..he spend so much to enrich the medical corporations. Now he suffer. He should have just let his cancer ridden relatives go. Death is part of life. Deal with it.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Collecting cardboards, drink cans etc., cleaning tables, cleaning crockeries, serving at tables, cleaning latrines, sweeping the streets by the elderly are form of exercise. But when we were young, our parents, will tell us...'YOU DON'T STUDY HARD, YOU END UP SWEEPING THE STREETS & WORKING AT THE 36 DOORS"....but nowadays, you go university, get a degree, have no job, you sweep the streets, clean the tables..etc...unfortunately, there are no more, "36 doors"...

How? this is progress for the nation? or we have moved back centuries? from 1st world to the 3rd world?

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
No country n society can afford to look after the old n Infirmed for long. Better to give them the Soylent Green option. Better to die with dignity than live without. Look at this chap..he spend so much to enrich the medical corporations. Now he suffer. He should have just let his cancer ridden relatives go. Death is part of life. Deal with it.

"soylent green" is people.....don't worry they already have that in mind, that is why they have " sam bawang food"...part of the Sam Bawang group...which include waste disposal...

Kuailan

Alfrescian
Loyal
"soylent green" is people.....don't worry they already have that in mind, that is why they have " sam bawang food"...part of the Sam Bawang group...which include waste disposal...

Bloody John Tan papaya balls licker got the chick to post all these senior
being poor, got to work for living than the F*&^k Paya and Pay is doing
to help the poor and needy?? what happened the extra 2% GST as promised
by our mee siam mai hum??? supposed to help the poor or goes into the salary??

Grasslooter having a golden Harvest?? harvesting money with Kong Hee fatt Choi??

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Grasslooter having a golden Harvest?? harvesting money with Kong Hee fatt Choi??

The 'white lightning tai chi group' are the poor things....that is where the 2% have gone..to help them.

kezgtree

Alfrescian
Loyal
Collecting cardboards, drink cans etc., cleaning tables, cleaning crockeries, serving at tables, cleaning latrines, sweeping the streets by the elderly are form of exercise. But when we were young, our parents, will tell us...'YOU DON'T STUDY HARD, YOU END UP SWEEPING THE STREETS & WORKING AT THE 36 DOORS"....but nowadays, you go university, get a degree, have no job, you sweep the streets, clean the tables..etc...unfortunately, there are no more, "36 doors"...

How? this is progress for the nation? or we have moved back centuries? from 1st world to the 3rd world?

...how can it be 1st world when the citizen is suffering...must be some clown to say that...we r a rojak nation..n those clwn care abt squeezing blood from stone..enuf say.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
If sinkies stop wiping out their CPFs when young to service their HDB loans, they would all retire with a fortune waiting for them. Many of these old sinkies bought their HDB flats decades ago when prices were much lower.

Kuailan said:

Oppie fucker! Working for PAP has ensured that my family eat and live well and my kids get to attend the best schools. Join oppies for fuck? Every elections only know how to lose. Win one SMC or GMC, then orgast like crazy ah?

Extra 2% GST goes to helping the poor. Where do you think money for the poor come from? From the sky?

Last edited:

borom

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
A disgrace and shameful state of affairs under people who pay themselves the highest salaries in the world.
To rub salt into the wound, contrast this with the rising affluence among Pinoys, PRC's and Indians (born in india) allowed in by the very same govt.

Try advertising your condo for rent and majority of the viewers would be Pinoys, PRC's and India Indians.