• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious Ethylenediaminetetraacetic Acid

Peanuts

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am not exactly certain I can pronounce the name of this chemical. Even if I could, I am sure I would have forgotten it a minute.

Why do scientist give such a crazy name to an acid??? To confuse and obfuscate?

Anyway, if you bother to read Wikipedia, here's the link : https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethylenediaminetetraacetic_acid.

It's short acronym is EDTA.

To summarize the salient parts of the Wikipedia article for purposes of this post:

1. EDTA is a colourless, water-soluble solid.

2. It is widely used in textiles, shampoo, cosmestics, cleaners, pulp and paper and food. YES.. Food!

3. "EDTA is added to some food as a preservative or stabilizer to prevent catalytic oxidative decoloration, which is catalyzed by metal ions".

4. "It has been found to be both cytotoxic and weakly genotoxic in laboratory animals. Oral exposures have been noted to cause reproductive and developmental effects".

I am no chemist nor scientist to decipher what is cytotoxic or genotoxic. Well these two words sound poisonous.

I am sure if I really examine closely the packaging of supermarket food products - frozen food, instant noodles, sauces, condiments, ice cream, can food, buckwheat noodles, etc, surely I can find EDTA in them, maybe masked in different names or variations of it.

In the modern world of food consumerism, I wonder how much of EDTA and other preservatives we are putting inside our body.

For instance, I buy a bowl of fishball noodles. The noodles probably contains EDTA. I request the hawker to add some chili sauce in it. It probably contains EDTA. The fishball probably contains some EDTA as well, if not, some form of equivalent stabilisers and so does the sliced fish cake.

Well, the point I am getting at is this - individual product packaging may state the EDTA amount and is probably within the safe EDTA or stabilizer consumption level set by food and health authoriies in any country.

But when a dish of food is made, whether in a restaurant, hawker centre or home, I am sure taken in totality, we are probably consuming this chemical excessively without even being aware. Or maybe you are a nutcase (which I doubt) and have so much free time to examine every damn packaging of a food product or demand to know what the hawker or chef adds in your food.

Now, repeat after me, so that you will remember this chemical name : Ethyl-en-edi-amin-etet-raa-cetic Acid.

Gosh, I don't even know how to split up the syllables correctly!

Time to go to bed in a thunderstorm. Good night. :smile:

Last edited:

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Err some people go for intravenous infusions of sodium EDTA as part of what is called Chelation Therapy to reduce heart disease and other illnesses. It is alternative medicine though. Not mainstream

ChemWarHead

Alfrescian
Loyal
You may like to know that Chemistry is a subject fully utilizing the LATIN LANGUAGE which is lengthy precise and unambiguous in description. Chemical composition of drugs is complex organic substance, some are complex enough beyond description of human languages, needs symbolic and computer representations. The DNA for example.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
Ethylenediaminetetraacetic_acid
It's short acronym is EDTA.
Gosh, I don't even know how to split up the syllables correctly!

The clue is in the acronym:
Ethylene- Diamine- TetraAcetic- Acid
1 ethylene, 2 amine, 4 acetic acid grouped together to obtain your EDTA.

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal
I believe it mean erectile dysfunction tripled acceleration, most likely all cock hair will fall off

Peanuts

Alfrescian
Loyal
Err some people go for intravenous infusions of sodium EDTA as part of what is called Chelation Therapy to reduce heart disease and other illnesses. It is alternative medicine though. Not mainstream

nayr69sg, I am not a food scientist nor a doctor or a chemist. I became interested in this EDTA after talking to my friend, a Stage 4 cancer sufferer. Did a search on Wiki and ended up with a tongue twister chemical, hence my post late last night.

You should read this : https://www.isitbadforyou.com/questions/is-calcium-disodium-edta-bad-for-you

It seems to have formaldehyde in it, or am I wrong?

Peanuts

Alfrescian
Loyal
You may like to know that Chemistry is a subject fully utilizing the LATIN LANGUAGE which is lengthy precise and unambiguous in description. Chemical composition of drugs is complex organic substance, some are complex enough beyond description of human languages, needs symbolic and computer representations. The DNA for example.

Thanks for the info. :smile:

The clue is in the acronym:
Ethylene- Diamine- TetraAcetic- Acid
1 ethylene, 2 amine, 4 acetic acid grouped together to obtain your EDTA.

Gosh.. you seem to have solved the puzzle for me. Haha.. :smile:

I believe it mean erectile dysfunction tripled acceleration, most likely all cock hair will fall off

Hilarious! Haha. Hope it only affects the male species :smile:

nitecrawllerr

Alfrescian
Loyal

I was about to mention chelation.

Wheres Johnny333? He should be the right person to explain on chelation treatment.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
nayr69sg, I am not a food scientist nor a doctor or a chemist. I became interested in this EDTA after talking to my friend, a Stage 4 cancer sufferer. Did a search on Wiki and ended up with a tongue twister chemical, hence my post late last night.

You should read this : https://www.isitbadforyou.com/questions/is-calcium-disodium-edta-bad-for-you

It seems to have formaldehyde in it, or am I wrong?

"formaldehyde" is used for embalming right? an embalming liquid....when I was in primary school, I was very interested in collecting butterflies, & insects....have bottles of those embalming liquid...

Peanuts

Alfrescian
Loyal
"formaldehyde" is used for embalming right? an embalming liquid....when I was in primary school, I was very interested in collecting butterflies, & insects....have bottles of those embalming liquid...

halsey02, I suppose so. Probably the same liquid in bottles in school labs containing dissected frogs when I was in secondary school.

Formaldehyde is for preserving dead bodies too. I have seen the embalmers pumped some liquid into my grandmother’s body when I was younger, to prepare her body for the wake. I guess it is Formaldehyde to keep her body from decomposition.

According to the link I posted, EDTA contains cyanide sodium and ethylene diamine. We have heard of cyanide. It’s definitely poisonous. I am not sure what is ethylene diamine.

Peanuts

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just did a quick research on the net.

The link is US Food & Drug Administration guidelines on EDTA usage in Food. (https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scri...earch.cfm?fr=172.135&SearchTerm=disodium edta)

I have no idea on the local guidelines on EDTA. Presumably AVA adopts the same standard as US FDA? I am not sure.

Just digesting the US FDA guidelines on the screen, it uses the word “Alone” and then “not to exceed” blah blah blah. Not a food scientist, but I assume it specify a limit of how much EDTA can be used in a product, which probably translates into safety consumption level.

For instance, sausages, 36 parts per million limitation. For sauces, 75 parts per million limitation. No idea what that means. But I think it’s probably dilution levels of EDTA before injecting the same into the food product.

My query is (as I have stated earlier), when all foods on your dining table are consumed in a meal of perhaps all 3 meals, over 7 days a week, I am pretty sure it exceeds the safety levels. Unless of course you just eat sausages without chili/tomato sauce, or mustard.

Well, the earlier link does state the side effects of overconsumption of EDTA in foods. So I guess the next time when you have any of these usual symptoms like headaches, migraines, skin rash, etc, it could well be due to excessive EDTA consumption.

Possible short-term side effects:

vitamin depletion
hypotension
headaches/migraines
skin rash
asthma
abdominal discomfort
lowering of blood sugar

Possible long-term side effects:

toxicity in high doses
build-up in the body
cancer
kidney damage

So, please read your product label when you purchase groceries in the supermarket.:smile:

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
I am not sure what is ethylene diamine.

I'm pretty sure the Germans used Chlorine gas in the Great War... this same element is found in table salt too! Please avoid sodium chloride... LD50 at 3g/kg... just need 200g of salt, you can kill someone standing at 65kg with it!

Peanuts

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm pretty sure the Germans used Chlorine gas in the Great War... this same element is found in table salt too! Please avoid sodium chloride... LD50 at 3g/kg... just need 200g of salt, you can kill someone standing at 65kg with it!

SatchetSalts_300g.jpg

What about Sea Salt? I use this at home.

Korean Roasted Sea Salt
Product Characteristics (from the net)
It says:
100% Pure Korean sea salt.
100%Traditional Sun & Wind Dried harvesting method.
Modern Technology to extract impurities.
800 ˚C** Roasted.
Rich in Natural Minerals.
Sweet in taste- Enhance food flavour .
Approved by KFDA.*

Does it contain ethylene diamine? How would one know? I need to double check the actual packaging when I get home tonight (though I doubt they will state that it contains ethylene diamine).

Or is it just table salt contains such harmful stuff?