• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious Fat Loser Shamed On National Paper For Splurging $50 On Birthday Cake For Daughter!

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
ST_20170423_JTYOUNG23_3094356.jpg

Three months ago, Ms Chloe Lin (not her real name) splurged on a big-ticket item. It was her daughter's 11th birthday.

Ms Lin, 33, bought a mango vanilla cake decorated with characters from the movie Frozen. It cost her $50 - one-seventh of the $360 she got a month from ComCare, Singapore's social aid scheme for the poor and needy.

But for Ms Lin, it was worth it. "It's her favourite cartoon and flavour," she said simply.

Having dropped out of school in Secondary 2, Ms Lin struggles to hold on to a job. Her longest stint was as a property telemarketer from 2010 to 2013, earning $7 an hour. But when the sector slowed, she was let go. Twice divorced, she now lives in a one-room rental flat in Ang Mo Kio with her daughter.

Last year, Ms Lin applied for and received ComCare help. For nine months, the monthly stipend was all the pair had to live on.

st_20170423_work23a_3094993.jpg

Ms Lin is among a growing number of young Singaporeans who are in need and having to rely on the Government for handouts.

Ministry of Social and Family Development (MSF) data shows that 5,644 young households - with applicants aged below 35, the official definition of youth - received ComCare's short- to medium-term financial aid in the financial year of 2015.

RISKS OF GIG ECONOMY

The gig economy is going to aggravate the social and job-related causes of poverty. Retrenchment due to job obsolescence and job disappearance will increase.

LABOUR ECONOMIST HUI WENG TAT
This is a 40 per cent jump from the 4,016 young households who got such ComCare aid in 2012 - the earliest year that age-segregated data was made public. By contrast, the number of older households whose applicants are aged 35 to 59 went up less - by 34.9 per cent.

Over the years, the Government has become more generous in administering ComCare, bumping up cases. Families now get help when they have a monthly household income of $1,900 or less, or a per capita income of under $650, among other criteria.

But what experts say is troubling is that young Singaporeans account for one in five recipients - a proportion that has not budged despite government efforts such as student care and skills-upgrading subsidies.

It is also just a shade under the share that older Singaporeans aged 60 and above form (these do not include those who get long-term help due to illnesses or disabilities).

The numbers also surprised Ms Rachel Lee, a principal social worker at Fei Yue Family Service Centre. The social worker has seen more younger families seeking help at the centre, but was taken aback when told that the proportion is similar to those 60 and older.

"They may not be the majority but if we don't help these young families break out of the vicious circle, they can get trapped in it, especially those with dependants," she said.

Another set of data also suggests that the problem of poverty among young Singaporeans can be quite intractable. More so than other age groups, they seem more stubbornly stuck with low wages.

Manpower Ministry data shows that last year, there were fewer employed residents aged 15 and above earning a gross monthly income of $1,000 and less, compared to 2015. However, those aged 25 to 34 registered the smallest percentage point drop, meaning that younger workers are slower in breaking out of this low-income bracket compared to other age groups.

There are 41,500 people aged between 15 and 34 who earn under $1,000 a month as of last June.

There are two reasons why some young Singaporeans are in difficulties, say those interviewed.

One is that some struggle to move out of the poverty trap - they are either born into poverty and remain mired in it, or are stuck in jobs that just do not pay enough.

Mr Muhd Alfian K., 30, who has O-level qualifications, is one of them. A crane operator, his life revolves around hitting a target of loading and unloading at least 52 containers within a 12-hour shift. His salary will then be bumped up to $2,000.

This translates into a take-home pay of $1,600 for his family of five.

His wife Irah Nurshahrani, 26, tried to help by taking on jobs such as a hotel housekeeper and a petrol station cashier. But she has had to move from job to job after taking too many days off to care for their children, aged one, two and three. "He works long hours and I try to get work too but it is hard and the money is not enough."

They received $100 in ComCare help for three months last year.

Two, more young Singaporeans are poor because more are now unemployed.

The jobless rate for those below 30 years old has risen over the years and was at 5 per cent last year, double that of other age groups.

An MSF spokesman explained why the young seek assistance: "Some are unable to secure employment due to caregiving needs for young dependants and may require financial assistance in the interim. There are others who might be facing family issues such as divorce, incarceration or violence and require assistance while their family stabilises as they are unable to work."

Looking into the future, the picture is muddied by the rise of the gig economy, displacing traditional jobs. For now, some young workers - tech-savvy and physically fit - are riding the wave and seeing their incomes rise. But their long-term financial health is far from certain.

The authorities worry about the 200,000 gig economy workers here because many lack statutory protections and benefits, including CPF contributions. Deputy Prime Minister Tharman Shanmugaratnam said last year that they face risks such as wage instability and not having enough for retirement.

Warned labour economist Hui Weng Tat: "The gig economy is going to aggravate the social and job-related causes of poverty. Retrenchment due to job obsolescence and job disappearance will increase."

So what is to be done?

Ensure they remain employed, and help them remain employable, said labour economist Randolph Tan, a Nominated MP. Measures such as job placement help and re-skilling need to be significantly stepped up, said Singapore Management University's law don Eugene Tan.

To better help those already in a rut, some social workers will soon be trained to help low-income families better manage their finances.

Meanwhile, those in the gig economy should get a hand to build up their CPF savings, such as incentives for voluntary top-up, say some such as Dr Tan Wu Meng, an MP for Jurong GRC .

Above all, experts and social workers said there should be urgency in tackling the issues faced by Singapore's young and working poor. Otherwise, warned Prof Randolph Tan: "We could see the beginnings of a social catastrophe."

•Additional reporting by Kok Xing Hui

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/young-and-in-need

Last edited:

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: Fat Loser Shamed On National Paper For Splurging $50 On Birthday Cake For Daughte

The main problem is they are breeding when they can ill afford it. The crane operator. He earn 2k and has 3 kids? That is irresponsible...That was why when pap had the stop at 2 such stories were minimal..Also I heard crane operators earn damn well. Y his pay so low? The truth of the matter n it will get worse is the poor are breeding irresponsibly where they can least afford it. This will continue unless breeding licences are issued.

Cottonmouth

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Fat Loser Shamed On National Paper For Splurging $50 On Birthday Cake For Daughte

So fat still eat cake????

This fat lard got 2 guys married her before?????

If she slim down and become a whore to support her daughter, she should be quite popular.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

The main problem is they are breeding when they can ill afford it. The crane operator. He earn 2k and has 3 kids? That is irresponsible...That was why when pap had the stop at 2 such stories were minimal..Also I heard crane operators earn damn well. Y his pay so low? The truth of the matter n it will get worse is the poor are breeding irresponsibly where they can least afford it. This will continue unless breeding licences are issued.

And that's the irony of modern urban society. Those who are poor, destitute, living in war zones breed like rabbits. Meanwhile, those living in safe urban areas, holding down regular jobs, feel that they barely have enough money for 1 kid.

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

From her back I think she needs to slim down then register herself at the Sister forum here and she would need no handout no more. She can ask her Daughter to under study her. In five years she can partner her Daughter for additional income.

As for the crane driver it is strange cos some years back there was report that there is a dearth of crane Operators and their pay can go up to 6k. What type of crane is he operating ? Paper cranes ?

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

From her back I think she needs to slim down then register herself at the Sister forum here and she would need no handout no more. She can ask her Daughter to under study her. In five years she can partner her Daughter for additional income.

As for the crane driver it is strange cos some years back there was report that there is a dearth of crane Operators and their pay can go up to 6k. What type of crane is he operating ? Paper cranes ?

Most rational towkays will balk at paying $6k a month for a crane operator. They can send a cheap construction foreman or bus driver for upgrading courses to operate cranes, and bump their pay from less than $1k a month to perhaps $2.5k a month for operating cranes. Far cheaper than paying a sinkie $6k to operate a crane, which is much higher than many entry-level PMET degree holder jobs.

songsongjurong

Alfrescian
Loyal

supermarket chains, F&B severely short of menial manpower, Ms Lin is infected with the malay "lazy disease". with comcare providing barely enough...also can lah. why work?

AhNehs

Alfrescian
Loyal

more young anti slavery members. :biggrin:

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Can I apply for comcare too?

tanakow

Alfrescian
Loyal

In a war zone, there is no entertainment except farking.

And that's the irony of modern urban society. Those who are poor, destitute, living in war zones breed like rabbits. Meanwhile, those living in safe urban areas, holding down regular jobs, feel that they barely have enough money for 1 kid.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Can I apply for comcare too?

>Over the years, the Government has become more generous in administering ComCare, bumping up cases. Families now get help when they have a monthly household income of $1,900 or less, or a per capita income of under $650, among other criteria.>

Anything the PAP is saying they are so good helping, kindly read carefully....

A household of 4 for example , to earn $1,900... that is $475 per working adult. What is their min wage requirement for company to employ FT's in the ratio?....$1,100

If every working adult, earns $1,100 each gross...one household income will be? it is $4,400....they will disqualify....get the picture? you can qualify?

Under $650 per adult....they will be racking up S&C outstanding & will be attending court sessions at the State Courts, they will have no electricity for they will have an outstanding, no water, same thing...can barely afford the Myjo 100 dry mee, can not even cook, no water, no electricity...

"oliver" has one bowl of gruel now wants another...they are shaming "oliver"....they give you pittance....you go splurge on a $50 cake....you are making the person running the "poor house" very angry...

but you have CPF...it will show you, in fanciful graphs & big lettering...you have $xxx,xxx in CPF but you are getting COMCARE...& given that money...please don't buy a $50 cake...a $2.50 cup cake with one candle will do..

The PAP is never generous....they are always putting up a show..

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

>Over the years, the Government has become more generous in administering ComCare, bumping up cases. Families now get help when they have a monthly household income of $1,900 or less, or a per capita income of under $650, among other criteria.>

Anything the PAP is saying they are so good helping, kindly read carefully....

A household of 4 for example , to earn $1,900... that is $475 per working adult. What is their min wage requirement for company to employ FT's in the ratio?....$1,100

If every working adult, earns $1,100 each gross...one household income will be? it is $4,400....they will disqualify....get the picture? you can qualify?

Under $650 per adult....they will be racking up S&C outstanding & will be attending court sessions at the State Courts, they will have no electricity for they will have an outstanding, no water, same thing...can barely afford the Myjo 100 dry mee, can not even cook, no water, no electricity...

"oliver" has one bowl of gruel now wants another...they are shaming "oliver"....they give you pittance....you go splurge on a $50 cake....you are making the person running the "poor house" very angry...

but you have CPF...it will show you, in fanciful graphs & big lettering...you have $xxx,xxx in CPF but you are getting COMCARE...& given that money...please don't buy a $50 cake...a $2.50 cup cake with one candle will do..

The PAP is never generous....they are always putting up a show..

actually i can survive on less than $1k per month,even $600 a month is doable just not very comfortable or fun.....iv done it practically all my life....

i can move in with my grandmother,shes unemployed,i have stretches of unemployment,so we qualify under the $650 per adult rule.i can work part time until i earn just under $650 a month,then play some poker home games can make $500 a month easily,$1k a month is doable if i do it full time but i dont these days,which i dont declare,and run my small online business which i can make a few hundred a month which i also dont declare to IRS,plus $300 a month from comcare,altogether i can make around $1.75k a month working only 2 or 3 days a week.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

the sooner these lazy bozos eat their sugary fill to oblivion the better it is for society as a whole. good riddance to fat lazy freeloaders.

kezgtree

Alfrescian
Loyal

...he might be hiding it from his wife..otherwise how to have other minahs outside..hehe

AllahPUKI

Alfrescian
Loyal

actually i can survive on less than $1k per month,even $600 a month is doable just not very comfortable or fun.....iv done it practically all my life....

i can move in with my grandmother,shes unemployed,i have stretches of unemployment,so we qualify under the $650 per adult rule.i can work part time until i earn just under $650 a month,then play some poker home games can make $500 a month easily,$1k a month is doable if i do it full time but i dont these days,which i dont declare,and run my small online business which i can make a few hundred a month which i also dont declare to IRS,plus $300 a month from comcare,altogether i can make around $1.75k a month working only 2 or 3 days a week.

Allahpuki race have many retards just like you. BTW you are a retard too.

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal

So fat still eat cake????

This fat lard got 2 guys married her before?????

If she slim down and become a whore to support her daughter, she should be quite popular.

maybe good in bed. but wanted too many times husband cannot service her so run away.