• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Fried hokkien mee with unpeeled prawns. Why ?

Bonut

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why do some hawkers throw unpeeled prawns into friend hokkien mee and dry prawn mee ?

Is there a good reason or they are plainly lazy ?

SNTCK

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you think unpeeled prawns are dirty
Or you too lazy to unpeel the prawns

Then you can order prawn noodle without prawn
I think stall owner will happy to fry the noodle for you

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
unpeeled prawns appear bigga ... daft sinkies wil tink dat dey r given giant sized prawns by ze hawker n feel happy ...

AhNehs

Alfrescian
Loyal
because no need head and shell to make stock. now use stock powder and msg. so just throw in the damn prawns. save their labour costs and i believe all these all frozen prawns bought cheaply too.

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal
Simple, the shell can enamate fragrant when heated up rendering favor, whilst peeled prawn is not only tasteless would become soggy by wheat gluten

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
unpeeled prawns got more lemak when cooked with the prawn mee....esp the head, brain and whatever juice that ooze out when fried with lard....yum

AhNehs

Alfrescian
Loyal
my favourite fried prawn new to date is Green sky stall at Bedok Food Centre, the one near the army camp.

there is another old stall there that people like, but I still like Green sky. It's halal, which means no lard used in the cooking, but I can tell you it taste so good as if there is lard in there. I guess they use lots of onions to create the lard effect. (I may be wrong). But it's really good. The white carrot cake is superb too. Never tried the char away teow, but I see on social media that lots of people like it.

But I guess what I like best is their home made chili for their dishes. The chili is power :biggrin:

http://www.finerestaurantfinder.com/restaurant/559233914103532/Green+Sky+Fried+Kway+Teow

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
Is there a good reason or they are plainly lazy ?

Prawn noodles soup or Hokkien prawn noodles, many reasons why some hawkers shell their prawns and/or leaving it intact.

As long as the prawn noodles taste good, prawns with or without shells.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Most of the pleasure from eating comes from the anticipation and the thrill of the chase.its like eating crab or lobster or having a barbeque.i mean u are just cooking some chicken wings and satay but everything tastes better in a barbeque.by the time u are done cracking those shells and slurping out those creamy white succulent flesh.

AhNehs

Alfrescian
Loyal
Most of the pleasure from eating comes from the anticipation and the thrill of the chase.its like eating crab or lobster or having a barbeque.i mean u are just cooking some chicken wings and satay but everything tastes better in a barbeque.by the time u are done cracking those shells and slurping out those creamy white succulent flesh.
Just like undressing a woman and rubba rubba off the clothes and finally tasting the flesh?