• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious What is good to invest now?

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If you have SIN$200k worth of Malaysian dividend paying shares you can get from SIN$50k to SIN$60k of dividends per year.
no way la ...

u probly get such a high yield bcoz u bot dem loong time ago wen ze price was low n kept until now ... n ur calculations were based on ur purchse prices @ dat time ...

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
no way la ...

u probly get such a high yield bcoz u bot dem loong time ago wen ze price was low n kept until now ... n ur calculations were based on ur purchse prices @ dat time ...

Yes I've owned the shares a long time & whenever they offer a rights issue I take them up on the offer & top up. Over time I've increased the numbers of shares I've owned. That's why I like investing in Malaysia. Compare to my experience with the Spore I've owned, where I've been forced to sell when these Spore companies were acquired by other companies.

If you have $$$ to invest I recommend investing some of it in Malaysia. I've never regretted it & when I up the lorry the shares will be going to my family. In the future life in Spore will be very hard. The $$$ I leave behind will help them. That's why I'm still in the game trying to make my next million :smile:

whoami

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes I've owned the shares a long time & whenever they offer a rights issue I take them up on the offer & top up. Over time I've increased the numbers of shares I've owned. That's why I like investing in Malaysia. Compare to my experience with the Spore I've owned, where I've been forced to sell when these Spore companies were acquired by other companies.

If you have $$$ to invest I recommend investing some of it in Malaysia. I've never regretted it & when I up the lorry the shares will be going to my family. In the future life in Spore will be very hard. The $$$ I leave behind will help them. That's why I'm still in the game trying to make my next million :smile:

Johnny...great move tere. Only probm is d m$ so unstable. But over at Sinkieland M&A so common. Not a good sign....

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ah Johnny you got Vanguards yet? If you want high speccy FBR not bad, up +150% for me already.
Stick to ETFs if you don't have anything you want to get. Prices seems a bit a high to me at the moment, I'll wait a while before I start getting some more. Already preparing to dump some coins.

Dark Knight

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Not all companies give dividends lah. That is why you have to chose carefully. The current list I've found of companies providing decent dividends is http://www.malaysiastock.biz/Report-Analysis/Top-KLSE-Dividend-Stock.aspx

I own some of these shares & can confirm that they do provide decent dividens. However in my case I accumulated these shares over a number of years when prices of the shares was lower & took up the warrant options when the companies offered them.

I own about SIN$250k of Malaysian dividend paying shares i.e. RM$750k. You can expect SIN$50k to SIN$70k+. Depends on how profitable the companies are & what the exchange rate is. The Malaysian companies I own usually provide dividends twice per year.

May I know how you go about buying Malaysian stocks? Do you go through a broker in Singapore? Or you buy the stocks via an online trading platform? Can you suggest us ways to trade?

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
May I know how you go about buying Malaysian stocks? Do you go through a broker in Singapore? Or you buy the stocks via an online trading platform? Can you suggest us ways to trade?

The cheapest way is to open a Malaysian online trading account e.g. Maybank in JB. Maybank has an investment centre at Jalan Pingai. It is at the top floor of this shop house:
Maybank Pelangi
12, Jalan Pingai, Taman Pelangi, 80400 Johor Bahru, Johor, Malaysia

They will open a bank account for you. Actually 2 accounts wii be created, a wadiah & premium account. You fund the account by depositing $ at any Malaysian Maybank branch. The funds will be put in the Wadiah account. You do an online transfer from the wadiah to the premium account. Any share purchases will be taken out from the premium account.

You will also get a Maybank ATM card which can be used to withdraw funds from the wadiah account.

Once you own Malaysian equities, Maybank will start sending you a statements at your Spore address. Make sure you provide a Spore telephone number because Maybank will use this number if you have to reset your password. They will also use this number to call you about rights issues.

I chose Maybank because I don't drive & they have a convenient branch at City Square Mall. Someone told me they opened a trading account with Standard Charter in JB. You may want to check with Standard Charter.

A more expensive option is to use a Spore broker to buy Malaysian shares. This was how I originally bought my Malaysian shares in the past. If you take this route you will be hit by a monthly custodial fee of $2 per counter.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Ah Johnny you got Vanguards yet? If you want high speccy FBR not bad, up +150% for me already.
Stick to ETFs if you don't have anything you want to get. Prices seems a bit a high to me at the moment, I'll wait a while before I start getting some more. Already preparing to dump some coins.

I wanted to see what policies Trump was going to implement but after the US elections the share prices shot up :eek:
So I'm waiting for a lower entry point.

No rush because once the euphoria from the Trump effect wears out, I expect lower prices. We may soon see lower prices if there is a problem with North Korea or the US tax reforms gets stalled?

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Johnny...great move tere. Only probm is d m$ so unstable. But over at Sinkieland M&A so common. Not a good sign....

I'm a long, ...., long term investor. I have actually stopped putting new money into Malaysia. Have been using the ringgit from dividends to buy more Malaysian shares as well as to pay for my visits to Malaysia. The only new money I've put in were for some rights issues.

Eventually I expect the Malaysians to clean house & hopefully the ringgit will appreciate?

I don't really need more $ because I lead a simple life. However I'm getting more $ then I can use & have find somewhere to put all this $. That'd why I'm looking at less volatile investments like ETFs, index stocks, options, ....

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
I wanted to see what policies Trump was going to implement but after the US elections the share prices shot up :eek:
So I'm waiting for a lower entry point.

No rush because once the euphoria from the Trump effect wears out, I expect lower prices. We may soon see lower prices if there is a problem with North Korea or the US tax reforms gets stalled?

My oil went up when they bombed Syria, was about to sell them!

SNTCK

Alfrescian
Loyal
Though I am quite sick and still young. Mid 30.
But both me and Husband work quite hard
And we don't really anyhow spend.
So we able to save and invest. Our current portfolio market value about 600k
But I only manage to get 25k dividend. You can say me quite lousy.

We also have some emergency fund and also war chest

We do invest in ILP, saving plan and unit trust.

先苦后甜。
We farm the tree, and now we enjoy the fruits.

SNTCK

Alfrescian
Loyal
My emergency fund and my war chest Not a small amount.
Enough for me to buy 2 kidneys.

So anybody want to sell me kidney?!

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
Invest in yourself. With the SkillsCredit moneys you could be tomorrow's celebrity hawkerpreneur 12 popiahs!

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Though I am quite sick and still young. Mid 30.
But both me and Husband work quite hard
And we don't really anyhow spend.
So we able to save and invest. Our current portfolio market value about 600k
But I only manage to get 25k dividend. You can say me quite lousy.

We also have some emergency fund and also war chest

We do invest in ILP, saving plan and unit trust.

先苦后甜。
We farm the tree, and now we enjoy the fruits.

I recommend liquidating your unit trusts investments because they charge a yearly management fee. If you check you will find that unit trusts under perform after factoring all the management fees.

Take a look at ETFs. You can trade ETFs if you have a US broker e.g. ThinkorSwim
Thinkorswim Singapore Pte Ltd
Millenia Tower
1 Temasek Avenue #15-02
Singapore 039192
Singapore

I had my heart attack in my 40's & haven't been working since then. When I sat down & looked at all my investments I was pleasantly surprise that I had $$$

I was still worried because I didn't want to sell any of my shares. Then Apple decided to pay share holders a dividend. This gave me a steady income without my having to sell any shares.

Today I am getting more from my dividends then what I was making when I was working :smile:

desmondquek

Alfrescian
Loyal
I recommend liquidating your unit trusts investments because they charge a yearly management fee.

I second this. They basically just park your money in some generic strategy fund. Definitely not worth paying the fee when you can invest in etf or closed end funds. If you're long term invested the compounding effect of fees will suck you dry. Unlike hedge funds, unit trusts often too big to get out of the market. So when market collapse they dollar average until the bottom lol.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I second this. They basically just park your money in some generic strategy fund. Definitely not worth paying the fee when you can invest in etf or closed end funds. If you're long term invested the compounding effect of fees will suck you dry. Unlike hedge funds, unit trusts often too big to get out of the market. So when market collapse they dollar average until the bottom lol.

Other problems with unit trust is that if you sell, it may take a few days before you find out the actual price that it is sold at. You also do not get any of the dividends that a fund is invested in.

When I first started investing in Spore I had a lot of $$$ invested in unit trusts but after many years I noticed that the investments were going nowhere :(

If anyone has used their CPF to invest, one will notice that the investments are in unit trust & the majority are losers:rolleyes:

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
True also
So that is why I earn and save money for myself
I sick and still work .
Don't wish to burden anyone.

You forgot you announced few months ago your health no good and not working - on one year no pay leave - and is a housewife? So if you have recovered since then well enough to go back to work, you should be thankful and not keep complaining of your health. Or if you have not recovered and still very sick, you should not have disrupted your one year no pay leave to go back to work - or even in the unlikely event your one year suddenly fly to completion - ​you should have extended​ your no pay leave. But since you didn't do that, you must be well enough to work, which means also should have nothing to complain about your health vis-a-vis few months ago.

Last edited: