• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Lose weight by doing strength / resistance training

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Wonder if anyone has successfully tried this. Possible to lose weight primary by doing strength and resistance training?

Of course will follow a moderate carb, minimal refined sugar diet.

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
muscle building is actually better for "losing weight" because the muscles gained actually help increase your metabolism.. burning more fat when you rest.

I've put "losing weight" in inverted commas since you might gain kilos after working out since muscles weigh more than the fat you'll burn off

But overall you will be fitter

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
its all a matter of calories in/calories out.i walk 8 miles a day in two sessions which burns about 1000 calories a day and eat a normal diet.walking is the best exercise,burns a ton of calories,very little downtime or recovery time,can do as much as u want even 20km a day no problem just split it up into sections,though the most i do is usually 10 to 12km a day.and u can read or watch video while walking which adds to ur productivity.

Last edited:

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
muscle building is actually better for "losing weight" because the muscles gained actually help increase your metabolism.. burning more fat when you rest.

I've put "losing weight" in inverted commas since you might gain kilos after working out since muscles weigh more than the fat you'll burn off

Agree. Actually i should say lose fat, not just lose weight

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
at our age, I recommend doing yoga ... the core muscle strength you build from balancing poses is more practical than being beefed up from gym

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset

I've found that the most effective method is to do intense intervals, now marketed under the the fancy term "tabata".

Instead of cycling 4 hours on Saturday I'm now done in 1 hour and I've ended up 2kg lighter.

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
at our age, I recommend doing yoga ... the core muscle strength you build from balancing poses is more practical than being beefed up from gym

Yes, yoga is excellent for building core strength - something many people neglect. Simple exercises like planks, lunges, flutter kicks, are also good and can be done by anyone without needing yoga.

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I've found that the most effective method is to do intense intervals, now marketed under the the fancy term "tabata".

Instead of cycling 4 hours on Saturday I'm now done in 1 hour and I've ended up 2kg lighter.

HIIT is best done with cycling. I tried running and it busted my knee caps

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
For me, best effects at older age is light weights, high reps and controlled motion. Sweat it all out daily. One hour every morning. Less recovery time required. I ate normal, no sugar, low cards, moderate protein. Lost 5kg evey 3 months.

HIIT is best done with cycling. I tried running and it busted my knee caps

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes, yoga is excellent for building core strength - something many people neglect. Simple exercises like planks, lunges, flutter kicks, are also good and can be done by anyone without needing yoga.

The yoga versus gym debate has been a long one

but ask any steroid gym junkies if they can do these advanced poses...

300x225xarm-balance-18-tittibasana.jpg.pagespeed.ic.HrZ_K5BY3o.jpg
300x225xarm-balance-11-koundinyasana.jpg.pagespeed.ic.6vPwBmTtU9.jpg
300x225xarm-balance-12-koundinyasana.jpg.pagespeed.ic.CUtCzjkPIy.jpg
300x225xarm-balance-14-astavakrasana.jpg.pagespeed.ic.Pq8BFMmlMr.jpg
300x225xarm-balance-27-bakasana.jpg.pagespeed.ic.E59m0RQAt0.jpg
300x225xarm-balance-29-ekapadabakasana1.jpg.pagespeed.ic.ADpMJYn12k.jpg

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Wonder if anyone has successfully tried this. Possible to lose weight primary by doing strength and resistance training?

Before and after strength training. I haven't seen people who turn to jogging or briskwalking look that good. What's the debate about?

the-rock-fat.jpg

dwayne-the-rock.jpg

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal

I dunno if you will lose weights or not, but intense strength/ resistance training, with very short rest in between, will make you feel so much better.