• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious Zorro: No Retrenchment, I Worry! Retrenchment = Productivity & Innovation!

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
ohhotel24.jpg

The turbulence in the job market of the past year and a half is an inevitable effect of Singapore's shift towards quality growth, said Manpower Minister Lim Swee Say yesterday.

"I hope what we are going through in the last 18 months is just a transition from manpower-driven growth into a future of growth driven by productivity and innovation," he said.

He was speaking to reporters yesterday at a career fair, where he launched two new programmes to help workers join the hotel sector and carve out better careers in it.

Labour market figures released a week ago show rising unemployment, layoffs at a seven-year high, and job seekers outnumbering job vacancies for the first time in four years.

Mr Lim said that although the economic situation may look dismal as a result of companies restructuring amid global headwinds, Singapore must push on with efforts to boost productivity and innovation in order to drive growth.

"There will be disruptions, there will be retrenchments, there will be downsizing in some sectors," he said. "But on the whole, it is not our objective to make low growth a new normal in the Singapore economy. Rather, this is hopefully just a transition period as we pursue quality-driven growth of 2 to 3 per cent in the medium term."

He acknowledged that a growing number of Singaporeans are concerned unemployment will rise further, but said the solution to this was not simply to create more jobs.

"If we are not careful, unemployment might go up not because we don't have enough jobs but because there is a mismatch between jobs and skills," he said. "We want to minimise this mismatch.

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapo...part-of-transition-to-quality-growth-swee-say

Bigfuck

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
For someone so highly paid, he sure does alot of hoping..

Productivity growth through automation and IT is not done by hope but by planning.

Any saying otherwise like him is hopeless. Then again he is an overpaid armchair bullshitter.

BTW, productivity increase through machines creates the side effect of even more unemployment. It is very easy to cut the civil service by 75% headcount with automation and IT. You would then ask why you need indian chiefs that cannot fight wars and have no solutions.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Productivity growth through automation and IT is not done by hope but by planning.

Any saying otherwise like him is hopeless. Then again he is an overpaid armchair bullshitter.

BTW, productivity increase through machines creates the side effect of even more unemployment. It is very easy to cut the civil service by 75% headcount with automation and IT. You would then ask why you need indian chiefs that cannot fight wars and have no solutions.

In the past, people said that jobs destroyed by machines would be replaced by new jobs of manufacturing, servicing and operating the machines.

Now, innovation seems intent to get rid of human jobs even as the human population is exploding. It's good for towkays like me and bad for blue collared workers like you.

Bigfuck

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
In the past, people said that jobs destroyed by machines would be replaced by new jobs of manufacturing, servicing and operating the machines.

Now, innovation seems intent to get rid of human jobs even as the human population is exploding. It's good for towkays like me and bad for blue collared workers like you.

Hahahahahaha. Dream long long. Towkays have no skillsets except bullshitting and bullying. Towkays can be replaced tomorrow.

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
all the talk about productivity is not reflected in the PAP
namely- why has the cabinet size increased? Why have the total number of MPs increased?
is that growth due to productivity? Lead the way man, do with less.

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
When I see stupid statements like this being made..I wonder how anyone who is not a retard will vote someone like tat into office. N he won big in East coast GRC.. against a superior WP team. So singkies deserve the ministers they vote for..

chootchiew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"If we are not careful, unemployment might go up not because we don't have enough jobs but because there is a mismatch between jobs and skills," he said. "We want to minimise this mismatch.

excuse me, the "WE" here means govt or the people ?
Looks more like the govt to me. Who said govt didn't want to be problem owner ?

jw5

Loyal
excuse me, the "WE" here means govt or the people ?
Looks more like the govt to me. Who said govt didn't want to be problem owner ?

The "WE" means govt when things go well and means people when things go wrong. :wink:

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
how come we only heard of company restructuring all the time and not government restructuring?restructure the PAP!!!!say no to jiak liao bees!!!!

lifeafter41

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
ohhotel24.jpg

The turbulence in the job market of the past year and a half is an inevitable effect of Singapore's shift towards quality growth, said Manpower Minister Lim Swee Say yesterday.

"I hope what we are going through in the last 18 months is just a transition from manpower-driven growth into a future of growth driven by productivity and innovation," he said.

He was speaking to reporters yesterday at a career fair, where he launched two new programmes to help workers join the hotel sector and carve out better careers in it.

Labour market figures released a week ago show rising unemployment, layoffs at a seven-year high, and job seekers outnumbering job vacancies for the first time in four years.

Mr Lim said that although the economic situation may look dismal as a result of companies restructuring amid global headwinds, Singapore must push on with efforts to boost productivity and innovation in order to drive growth.

"There will be disruptions, there will be retrenchments, there will be downsizing in some sectors," he said. "But on the whole, it is not our objective to make low growth a new normal in the Singapore economy. Rather, this is hopefully just a transition period as we pursue quality-driven growth of 2 to 3 per cent in the medium term."

He acknowledged that a growing number of Singaporeans are concerned unemployment will rise further, but said the solution to this was not simply to create more jobs.

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapo...part-of-transition-to-quality-growth-swee-say

It's always easy to TCSS as long as your job is not on the line.........
Talk is cheap..........

batman1

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singapore, the Land of Sinkees.
It's amazing that 70% voted for this joker zorro to bs talk cock and insult their intelligence .
Sinkees gone case leow.

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
He won big in East Coast GRC,,,that is why from now on,,I don't really blame the pappies,,I blame the singkies are they are the ones that put the pappies there in the 1st place,..

Singapore, the Land of Sinkees.
It's amazing that 70% voted for this joker zorro to bs talk cock and insult their intelligence .
Sinkees gone case leow.

jw5

Loyal
He won big in East Coast GRC,,,that is why from now on,,I don't really blame the pappies,,I blame the singkies are they are the ones that put the pappies there in the 1st place,..

Most sinkies are impressionable and easily manipulated, while some suffer from delusions of grandeur. :biggrin:

lifeafter41

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
ohhotel24.jpg

Question is will MOM tighten on the EPs now that it's already out that a good more than 65% of these graduates and professional qualification are laid off. It not, it's freaking time they do so and stop renewing all these passes......