• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat CHC brainwashed Calvin Ho questioned the sound judgement in CHC court trial

gongkia

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.theonlinecitizen.com/201...-court-trial-executive-member-finally-speaks/

Calvin Ho, Executive Member of City Harvest Church speaks out on the ongoing appeal of members in his church.

"I am writing this because the whole of City Harvest Church, and all its international affiliate churches, as well as the discerning and learned public, now more than ever, need a loud, truly convincing, and totally defensible answer from the establishment to demonstrate sound moral judgment and consistency of its acts."

“I am writing this, because as an Executive Member of CHC, I can no longer see this unprecedentedly protracted court case go so wrong in the eyes of my conscience, and so unjustified in so many aspects, and to-date still delivers an awful lack of convincing balance of sound, good-conscience judgment.”

The defense senior counsels and lawyers of the six accused had, since 2014, called for a ‘no case to answer’, which to me was reasonable and justifiable. The basis of good legal law is always to fundamentally provide good moral guidance, fairness, protection, deterrence, and sound judgment. It is never for using it as a form of the letter to bind, punish for the sake of punishing, or for personal selfish motive or political gain.

Moreover, I see a widespread inconsistency in the state of affairs in our country that makes accepting the prosecution of these six accused church leaders all the much harder.

Let me call out the obvious that is so wrong, in the whole scheme of things, and with a beholding of the state of affairs in this country I observe, as a total human-citizen-Christian-CHC Executive Member observer.

1.First, the biggest question: where is the legal basis for criminal breach of trust the State Prosecution and Media combined have sensationalized to epic proportions?

As the defense Senior Counsel Mr. Maniam stated and pointed to the then Judge See Kee Oon on the penal code of criminal breach of trust (and I am not trained in law and so pardon me if I miss a bit on academic intelligence or intellectual competence), that Section 405 of The Penal Code states, “Whoever, being in any manner entrusted with property, or with any dominion over property, dishonestly misappropriates or converts to his own use that property, or dishonestly uses or disposes of that property in violation of any direction of law prescribing the mode in which such trust is to be discharged, or of any legal contract, express or implied, which he has made touching the discharge of such trust, or willfully suffers any other person to do so, commits 'criminal breach of trust'."

As pointed by Senior Counsel Maniam, and with the case scenario examples presented (that I would not illustrate here), it was evident none of the six accused persons misappropriated property or funds to their personal gain, and so it was firmly established there was no clear criminal breach of trust committed, but yet the trial judge See Kee Oon did not even deal with this salient point as a matter of judgment.

How am I as a human, as a citizen of this country, as a Christian and member of CHC, accept this when it is so materially lacking?

2. Who is the State Prosecution to tell the Church, its members and its leaders if they should or should not direct their building fund money to invest in a Crossover love outreach mission, if their Church Constitution already empowers the Management Board and leaders to do so?

Of course, now in hindsight, due to the magnitude of the sum of money involved and the extent of the mission size now laid more openly to many members’ realization, the church members would have now in hindsight loved to be more consulted to decide on the merits of such risks to be taken, but why did the State Prosecution side-step the glaring fact that the CHC Church Constitution already empowered the Management Board and Leaders to make investment decisions, whether using Building Fund or not, or General Fund or not?

Where is the legal or moral basis for the State Prosecution to interfere? The citizens of the country were not even given transparent answers on why our many Town Councils invested in risky collapsing Lehman Brothers stocks during the 2008 subprime crisis period, and why they are allowed to divert large funds to invest in such instruments, and lost millions.

Has there been any investigation, much less anyone prosecuted? (And I shall stop and not go there further on this or it’s another can of worms.)

3. If the six charged and accused CHC leaders were swindlers and cheated of the Church members of their hard earned money, then why not haul all the 500 Executive Members to come testify and witness? Why were no victims called to testify? Why has even no Church Management Board Members been called to testify?

This to me is so lop-sided and absurd as it is, as I see the establishment calling out witnesses as they deem fit yet in their choice of witness not a single witness to date was convincing in their total witness testimony that any of the six accused did wrong that is worthy of criminal charge and punishing jail terms.

Did not the public know all the supposed strong witnesses called to the court stand to witness for the prosecution case build-up actually all turned out to be not entirely supportive of the prosecution’s case? Yes the general public is none the wiser because the mainstream media is more sensationalized than objective or truly informative oftentimes.

How can you only called selective witnesses when the Prosecution believes all Church members have been cheated of its money and also the Management Board were not told the truth by these six?

How could you so neglect people like me who is an Executive Member for almost 15 years (in my estimation of years) as witness, and I am just one of the hundreds?

Why no Management Board member was asked to witness if they were cheated? How could you prove a case convincingly when such vitally key witnesses are not called?

Does it not show starkly this is so lop-sided and overly selective to build a cylinder case with holes on it and water leaking from everywhere?

4. The Prosecution called this the biggest financial fraud and swindle of its kind and such lapses in administration is nothing but a con job schemed by the six leaders.

Yet every year we see government ministries having endless cases of lapses amounting to millions of dollars unaccounted for properly and all you need is one Cabinet minister to stand up in public to declare all these lapses were not result of dishonesty but genuine human errors, with media splashing all over echoing such positive statement, and then the case is closed with no one daring to question publicly otherwise.

Now, not that I claim there is dishonesty there, but what I am saying is – who is going to investigate? Are we sure no one is having private gain? Why not the State Prosecution haul up all these offenders and grill them in court to find out as much as they grill the six CHC accused leaders?

5. What is clear is there is no wrongful gain to any of the six accused leaders of CHC, as convincingly established by the defense counsels, yet the Prosecution, riding on the loud speaker engine of the state media, kept making loud, high sounding, sensationalized quotes such as “Lies! Falsehood!” - which are all so readily lapped up by the public as juicy news-bites.

The general public doesn’t always understand the background details, as bad news and juicy sound bites get all the attention, and not all the important facts are reported.

In conclusion, I seriously beseech the noble office of the State Establishment, to uphold a balanced conscience of judgment of the law, not just for the letter of it, but for the spirit of justice and morality tempered with mercy.

In a state where one is guilty as charged till proven innocent is the order of the day, the poor six accused, perhaps overly ambitious leaders for the sake of their missionary vision yet did not do anything for personal gain, have already suffered more than 5 years of public humiliation, shame, emotional trauma, psychological fear, fierce State prosecution, and jail threats.

They have already received their guilt in full. I do not see justice when they are charged and yet ultimately are still not proven beyond reasonable doubt that they committed criminal breach of trust or caused wrongful loss to the Church or enriched themselves.

They did not administrate their Crossover Project in the best way, yes even found wanting in effectiveness and efficiencies in some areas, but it is by no means a criminal breach of trust.

I peer into the State’s worth of moral standing, and weigh it on the balance as the State weigh the six on the balance. The whole Christian community watches this, as much the non-Christians.

I hope the establishment could make a convincing deliberation to end this unworthy protracted longest court case history in Singapore, where the Prosecution could go as far as the letter simply because the Church was parked under the Charity code of conduct.

It is time for a national rethink perhaps to separate religious organizations from the Charities. The Church is not a charity, period. It is caught in the Achilles heel for law argument sake simply because of the Charity code, but it is definitely a law argument without sound conscience or proper moral reasoning.

Satyr

Alfrescian
Loyal
Diverting money from a charitable foundation to help your wife's career could be considered misappropriation, even if you personally did not put money in your pocket. One may say all this is done in good conscience but some line has been crossed when said wife is bumping and grinding in scanty clothes and mouthing provocative words. The more interesting point in the article really is what is happening outside CHC and whether there is true transparency. If one were to write a book about this case within the Singapore system, I suggest they title it "Holier than Thou".

chootchiew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This cb Calvin want to use chim ang moh to complicate things and confuse people.
As I said leaders and mgt people always complicate simple things. Just ask the cb Calvin where are the monies and did they let the chc gcb know about it should shut his cb mouth.

Satyr

Alfrescian
Loyal
He is right. A church like CHC is not a charity and should not be classified as such. It is a business and should be taxed accordingly.

sunzhi1234

Alfrescian
Loyal
a simple question to ask is did they benefitted directly or indirectly significantly bcos of their actions can easily determine if they are gulity or not...

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"Contempt of Court."

It was an overdue message. In fact, Roy Ngern were the one who has long discovered our govt systems, too, have such loopholes. He was eventually charged for saying the govt treated our CPF like the Church treating their funds.

Will the writer be charged too?

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
So Calvin thinks he represent the entire congregation ? Y didn't he ask how pichak lobang in the first place? Who spilled the beans that lead to all this ?

If no one felt disgruntled, no one will know.

Lastly, all these amount pumped to sun Ho and that cross dress project , how many non Christians r converted as a result of the project ? 100 ? 1 million ? Anyone.did a measure ?

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
This cb Calvin want to use chim ang moh to complicate things and confuse people.
As I said leaders and mgt people always complicate simple things. Just ask the cb Calvin where are the monies and did they let the chc gcb know about it should shut his cb mouth.

That's what happen when a clever people like him got brainwash. He actually need to understand that Govt has in chained some laws to control the church. Or else, Charismatic but rogue personality like Kong Hee will brain wash these dump skull and con them of their hard earn savings.

Who says the LKY and gangs only has such great mind control power? Rubbish.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Diverting money from a charitable foundation to help your wife's career could be considered misappropriation, even if you personally did not put money in your pocket. One may say all this is done in good conscience but some line has been crossed when said wife is bumping and grinding in scanty clothes and mouthing provocative words.

It was Rev Sun's bumping and grinding that first caught my attention and at the time I did not believe in God and had not accepted Christ as my savior.

China wine changed all that. I was enthralled by the video and began trawling the internet for more information about Sun.

The searches I did on the internet unearthed more videos of Sun singing praises to the Lord in her angelic voice. I was well and truly smitten.

I spent many hours a day listening while she sang praises to our Lord. The lyrics had such meaning and touched my soul. I was drawn closer and closer to God with each passing day as Sun worked her magic with a voice that truly is a gift from God.

Exactly a month after I first watched "China Wine", I accepted Jesus into my heart and became a firm believer. "China Wine" was life changing for me.

I am a living and breathing example that the crossover project worked exactly as intended.

Wunderfool

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It was Rev Sun's bumping and grinding that first caught my attention and at the time I did not believe in God and had not accepted Christ as my savior.

China wine changed all that. I was enthralled by the video and began trawling the internet for more information about Sun.

The searches I did on the internet unearthed more videos of Sun singing praises to the Lord in her angelic voice. I was well and truly smitten.

I spent many hours a day listening while she sang praises to our Lord. The lyrics had such meaning and touched my soul. I was drawn closer and closer to God with each passing day as Sun worked her magic with a voice that truly is a gift from God.

Exactly a month after I first watched "China Wine", I accepted Jesus into my heart and became a firm believer. "China Wine" was life changing for me.

I am a living and breathing example that the crossover project worked exactly as intended.

Praise the Lord!

Kong Kee just confirmed that Sam Leong has been giving to CHC since last month. It was a huge gift. He is extremely happy that the crossover project works exactly as intended.He is eagerly looking forward to this month's donation from Sam.

Last edited:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
This whole case from the moment complaint lodged, investigation done, the court trial and to the appeal process seems very unusual. The sum involved is $50m and it is money donated for the building fund, yet the press and the general perception seems to treat the whole thing as a small matter.

1) Till today no one knows who actually complained and why the Commissioner of Charities acted in 2010 when a previous allegation of misuse of funds to finance the wife;s singing career went no where.

2) The investigation took 2 years which again seemed out of step with all previous criminal cases. The first arrests took place 2 years after joint public press conference by COC and CAD. This was not a corporate fraud involving a multi-national entity where complexity would be a feature. It is actually a simple diversion of donated building funds thru 2 specially created firms, both which were created and controlled by the same suspects. Interesting Serina Wee was arrested as an after thought a month later even though the investigation ran for 2 years. During trial, it became apparent that she had a starring role from start to finish and note the sentence that she received and yet CAD and AG felt she was not to be charged until a month later. Give one the impression that for 2 years they sat around and only did something in last month or so.

3) COC suspends 8 church leaders from all church management activities and then does a u-turn and allows the wife who was the main beneficiary of the misappropriated to manage the church knowing full well that her husband who again will have full control of the church. The suspension of the remaining 7 becomes meaningless. Its akin to asking TT Durai brother or wife to take over the running of NKF.

4) The press reporting through out the trial and the appeal was very poor. Compared to NKF and other criminal cases, the standard of reporting was woeful.

5) This is probably the most bizarre aspect of this whole affair - the conduct of Kong Hee and Serina Wee. No hint of remorse, despair or even signs of any emotions. The later seemed focused more on her wardrobe and style than on the trial.

6) Though COC made it clear that the Church can use its funds to pay the legal fees of the 6, it is common knowledge that 5 of them are covered by church members on a personal basis. This is similar to the multi-pupose account where wealthy but gullible church members donated not to the church but to look after Kong and his wife.

The issue for Singapore and Singaporeans is not Kong Hee and his wife. It is the role and conduct of Commissioner of Charities. The NKF saga revealed how the government treats donations pouring in from rich and poor Singaporeans. The govt and the organs of state are duty bound to ensure that proper governance framework plus monitoring and enforcement mechanism are present so no donations are misappropriated.

The general view is that if someone powerful had not decided to force the COC's hand nothing would have happened. It is similar to the NKF saga. If Durai had accepted SPH's offer and named his price to settle, nothing would come out. Instead Durai went for trial and the whole NKF abuse unraveled within the very first morning of the trial further indicating that even a cursory check of NKF by the COC would have hinted of abuse.

Last edited:

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Praise the Lord!

Kong Kee just confirmed that Sam Leong has been giving to CHC since last month. It was a huge gift. He is extremely happy that the crossover project works exactly as intended.

The crossover project was a brilliant concept from a World leading Pastor. He realised that in order to save followers of the Devil like myself, you first had to capture their attention and you cannot do that with songs of praise because Devil worshippers aren't going to listen to such music.

He hatched the plan, at great risk, that involved sending his wife into the Devil's lair using her sexuality and beauty as bait. It worked for me. In less than a month, I transitioned from filthy pimp to true disciple.

I know of many of my fellow pimps have found salvation because of Sun too. The appropriately named crossover project has saved my soul from the Devil. I am now in Jesus' arms.

KuanTi01

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
So Calvin thinks he represent the entire congregation ? Y didn't he ask how pichak lobang in the first place? Who spilled the beans that lead to all this ?

If no one felt disgruntled, no one will know.

Lastly, all these amount pumped to sun Ho and that cross dress project , how many non Christians r converted as a result of the project ? 100 ? 1 million ? Anyone.did a measure ?

I can't believe how deeply self-opinionated and indoctrinated he is; selectively echoing Defence lawyers' submissions on behalf of the defendants and perhaps even more selectively quoting from JC See Kee Oon's judgment. In his eyes, these church leaders can do no wrong; have been maligned and villified; victimised; martyred and neutered. He seems to imply that the prosecution and the judge somehow got it all wrong. So the true villians are the prosecution, the judicary and haha, PAP government itself!:biggrin: I find his logic entertaining but self-righteous.:smile: Nice try!

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
I can't believe how deeply self-opinionated and indoctrinated he is; selectively echoing Defence lawyers' submissions on behalf of the defendants and perhaps even more selectively quoting from JC See Kee Oon's judgment. In his eyes, these church leaders can do no wrong; have been maligned and villified; victimised; martyred and neutered. He seems to imply that the prosecution and the judge somehow got it all wrong. So the true villians are the prosecution, the judicary and haha, PAP government itself!:biggrin: I find his logic entertaining but self-righteous.:smile: Nice try!

He speaks the truth and he has God for guidance so he cannot be wrong.

gongkia

Alfrescian
Loyal
He speaks the truth and he has God for guidance so he cannot be wrong.

You have been set free and now has a guaranteed place in heaven. From a wantoned pimp to Jesus's salvation. How many souls still in the lose here will happy for you?

chuachinsengjason

Alfrescian
Loyal
It was an overdue message. In fact, Roy Ngern were the one who has long discovered our govt systems, too, have such loopholes. He was eventually charged for saying the govt treated our CPF like the Church treating their funds.

Will the writer be charged too?

He is tasked to give the contempt of court a test. Testing water.

Wunderfool

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The crossover project was a brilliant concept from a World leading Pastor. He realised that in order to save followers of the Devil like myself, you first had to capture their attention and you cannot do that with songs of praise because Devil worshippers aren't going to listen to such music.

He hatched the plan, at great risk, that involved sending his wife into the Devil's lair using her sexuality and beauty as bait. It worked for me. In less than a month, I transitioned from filthy pimp to true disciple.

I know of many of my fellow pimps have found salvation because of Sun too. The appropriately named crossover project has saved my soul from the Devil. I am now in Jesus' arms.

Truly, nothing is impossible with God.

I used to be a hardcore drug addict, but God has saved me from utter damnation. I am now also in the arms of Sun ...erh sorry ... in the arms of His Son.

gsfosnis

Alfrescian
Loyal

Wha ha ha ha!