• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Pap's Foreign Talents KPKB when trying out 2-week modified BMT course

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
A slice of military life: How SAFVC trainees survived two weeks of training

Over two weeks, about 80 people began their journey as the latest intake of the Singapore Armed Forces Volunteer Corps, undergoing basic training at Maju Camp and on Pulau Tekong

By Laura Elizabeth Philomin ([email protected])​

Since March last year, around 400 women, permanent residents or new citizens have gone through their Basic Training to join the Singapore Armed Forces Volunteer Corps (SAFVC). The SAFVC was set up in October 2014 so that these groups have the opportunity to contribute to national defence. Last month, TODAY reporter Laura Philomin was embedded with the fifth intake for the two-week basic training programme to have a taste of what it entails and hear from other volunteers about what motivated them to join.

SINGAPORE — If I had to choose again, I probably would not put myself through the two-week Basic Training that all Singapore Armed Forces Volunteer Corps (SAFVC) trainees go through.

Put aside the relentless “commando mosquitoes” during my three-day field camp, the fatigue from guard duty, and not showering for three days. What caused me to wake up in tears one morning in Pulau Tekong — and almost decide to drop out of the course — was the pain in my shoulders from the weight of the Individual Load Bearing Vest and 4kg rifle that made up nearly one-quarter of my petite 43kg frame.

That is not to say I regret going through the stint in June as part of the fifth SAFVC intake since the scheme — catering to women, new citizens and permanent residents — started last year. Because I saw first-hand why the nearly 400 volunteers have joined SAFVC: To play a part in defending Singapore.

I was not alone in underestimating what this duty took — the trainers made sure volunteers’ training, albeit abridged, gave “as rich as possible an experience of what our servicemen go through”, as SAFVC officer commanding Lee Peh Gee put it.

Take my coursemate, Ms Yeo Min, a 23-year-old nurse at Khoo Teck Puat Hospital. She nearly gave up because “I just couldn’t stand one more day in wet, sandy and sweaty clothes”.

But she persevered because SAFVC was her shot at experiencing a slice of military life — a career choice she was dissuaded from.

For Ms Indira Devi, 44, joining the SAFVC was partly because she grew up in army barracks due to her soldier father in her home country of India, but more importantly, the single mother wanted to be a role model to her teenage son.

Mr David Foo, who was born in Malaysia and has been a permanent resident here for more than 20 years, said he joined “because I wanted to be something larger than (what I am)”.

Mr Foo, who works as a manager in a semiconductor company, said: “Most of my brothers-in-law are local, and they told me about NS (National Service) so I believe there’s some kind of contribution I can make,” he added.

Their stories — and that of my other coursemates — made me realise I had taken the effort that goes into Singapore’s defence and security for granted. This extended to the simplest everyday things I had always taken for granted, such as running water and fresh food, as I realised during the field camp.

Another takeaway came from one of the ground rules of SAFVC training. Trainees were forbidden to talk about their jobs so that everyone — be it doctor, CEO, student or bus driver — was put on equal footing and could bond. Regardless of your standing in life, you get shouted at or punished if you make a mistake.

The entire two-week experience left me with an overwhelming sense of appreciation for our full-time national servicemen (NSF).

If those who voluntarily signed up for a taste of what it takes to take up the mantle of defending the country could feel self-doubt at times, I cannot imagine how tough it must be for teenage boys who are conscripted — and for much tougher training over a longer period.

No matter how the Singapore Armed Forces indoctrinate enlistees on the lofty mission of national defence, I imagine there must be times where it gets hard to maintain that steely sense of duty to the nation during the tough and gruelling training that we got a crash course on.

Such as when you are struggling to get through 17-hour days that start as early as 5am on some days. Or being made to complete tasks in double-quick time — wolfing down meals in minutes, learning marching drills, being told when to hydrate, and squeezing tasks such as showering, laundry, packing, and calling loved ones into a 30-minute window before lights out.

But as explained by SAFVC Commander Mike Tan, all these experiences during basic training provide the foundation for what it means to be a soldier. Likening the volunteer corps to surgical knives that have a specific purpose, Colonel Tan said: “If I’m training you to be a security trooper, I expect you to be competent and confident and committed to be a security trooper — to be very good at what you’re meant to do.”

And the key, he added, is not in aceing the training, but for trainees to “understand the ethos of what it means to be a soldier”.

After 10 days of training, friendships were forged, not least because every one of us needed another person’s help one time or another. The volunteers became comrades-in-arms.

And as we rounded up our training with a route march followed by a parade attended by our family and friends, all exhaustion vanished — taken over by pride.

As my coursemate, polytechnic graduate Teresa Lye said: “I had been questioning myself over the two weeks if I really had the capacity to defend my country … Then I looked up and realised that you will defend what you love … (I saw it) in the literal form — my family watched me as I held on to my rifle and marched on.”

So, would I recommend the SAFVC to just anyone? No, if you are just looking for kicks.

For it takes a sense of conviction and belief in serving Singapore.

Read more: Crash course — from foot drills to weapons training

More pictures of Laura’s experience during the two-week training programme

Originally published at www.TODAYonline.com

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
[video=youtube_share;8C9ACHeDp9k]https://youtu.be/8C9ACHeDp9k[/video]

[video=youtube_share;qlfeKtyx5iw]https://youtu.be/qlfeKtyx5iw[/video]

[video=youtube_share;nqjkxNKPXJ4]https://youtu.be/nqjkxNKPXJ4[/video]

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
[video=youtube_share;jKa-l1vefec]https://youtu.be/jKa-l1vefec[/video]

[video=youtube_share;gzsM13wn-wY]https://youtu.be/gzsM13wn-wY[/video]

wikiphile

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I had the unfortunate experience of witnessing foreigners (ah tiongs and ah nehs) going into Maju camp last year. Was a sat and i was taking my IPPT. Later i learnt that it was the security guards POP

JHolmesJr

Alfrescian
Loyal
Laura elizabeth philomin sounded like a filipino name to me….but her accent is spot on 100% dumbass singo.

What gives?