• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat 1h queue at Tai Hwa bakchormee after getting AMDK Michelin tyre

Baimi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Earlier this year I was there at 2 pm plus, lunch time well over and there were still more than ten people on Q and you don't know how many bowls one can order. I gave up. I like the one @upper boon keng HC. Ramsey used to go there for satay bee hoon, 2 stalls same boss.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
never queue for any food for more than 10 mins. It's plain dumb.

I absolutely agree. Mind you these dafy dafts are STANDING in queue for 1 hour for this bowl of noodles!

Goes to show Singaporeans have nothing better to do. How sad.

dr.wailing

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's so unhealthy. Luckily there's no bak chor mee in the area where I live. Ever since my wife and I moved to this country, we've been growing our own veggies and herbs, herbs that can't be grown in hot and tropical Sinkieland.

zeroo

Alfrescian
Loyal
His bachormee must wait long because the Fucker is damn slow. Many helpers but all waiting around for the idiot to finish cooking 1 bowl of noodles. He's just inefficient.

You compare with another hill street hawker....the now in bedok south char kway teow. The boss got helpers to pre fry the kwayteow then to him then to the one who collect money.....it's an efficient chain conveyor belt pattern that maximize productivity.....even if you have to queue you know the stall is doing its utmost to get that plate of char kwayteow to you.....
But this tai Hwa seemed like a sadist who enjoys showing off his queue or just likes to see hungry people wait.
Many other famous hawkers also have huge crowds but they want to clear the crowds because it means more income too but this tai Hwa dumbfuck is not attention to detail. He's just slow and dunno how to delegate duties....I mean putting on final garnish etc can be left to helpers to save time
If he rush thru to boil the noodles will it be as good??

zeebjii

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes only coffeeshop owner happy.

He should learn from other smarter successful hawkers.....then he can easily double the bowls he's selling now.

He's smarter, a decent sized bowl costs $6 now, used to be $ only a few years ago. He doubles the price, no need to double the bowls.:biggrin:

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If he rush thru to boil the noodles will it be as good??

It's not the cooking time for the noodles per se that is slow.
As I said it some things i believe it's the skill of the cook and he must do himself and not delegate.
But this guy being slow still does everything himself. I mean come on....scooping a bowl of soup or putting final ganish can be done by the helpers. Even master chefs got their sou chefs to handle part of the work.

For example the east coast/ geylang prawn noodles.....packed everytime. And they do table service even. Dun have to wait long. Why? Just observe the cooks.....
One will soak the noodles and another scoop the soup then hand to next one who add the oil garnish etc.....fast and efficient even if big crowds. This is what I call got standard.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
How you know michelin does its rating?

a journalist actually bothered to investigate and find out, and the answer is shockingly simple - they are understaffed and the notion of giving a rating are based on hearsay primarily due to popularity except for some restaurants in france and popular places in europe. as narong mentioned, the "inspector" knows jackshit how local dishes compare with others and is there either by following herd instinct or because others say so it is very good (after they waited so long for a slurp). ang mos follow their spg gfs for makan; they seldom sniff out local makan on their own and dine on hawker food like a sore thumb among strangers, and this is where they miss out on some of the best local food out there. when in doubt follow the herd - just like any tourist or visitor.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/quora/what-does-it-take-to-earn_b_2204599.html

Last edited:

schizo

Alfrescian
Loyal
never queue for any food for more than 10 mins. It's plain dumb.

can cut queue like these guys, and start some shit..then next day headlines read
"Queue cutting at Michelin star hawker left 1 dead and 2 seriously injured, when interviewed the stall owner said, "its all my fault, i will cook faster next time"

mr_t_singaporeans_are_assholes_1.jpg

Last edited:

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The other hawker star recipent Hong Kong Soy Chicken is another slow turtle resulting in queue.
Stupid angmos never do research just follow longest queue.
This hk soy sauce chicken is above average but not the best la.....they got many customers because it's the CHEAPEST!

Chinatown got many soy sauce chicken stalls.....famous Chiew kee/chew kee brothers for example.

The original one and best IMHO is Maria chicken....for those old foodies this stall originated from the famous Nam Tong teahouse lineage....nam tong and later new nam tong was a Chinatown institution. Their soy chicken used to be known as rose chicken back then. Nam tong founder's daughter and Hk star Maria Cordero started the hawker stall after the dim sum restaurant closed down.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
The other hawker star recipent Hong Kong Soy Chicken is another slow turtle resulting in queue.

Bro,
Have tried the dry ban mian at old airport road. I prefer the City Plaza to this old airport road outlet. Just like how I go to Lor29 for my Hokkien Mee fix when the cravings kick in.