• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious Minister Khaw Boon Wan said give him until 2030 wor!

RiderMan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Minister Khaw Boon Wan: Give me until 2030 to provide a reliable public transport system

By admin - July 21, 2016

In a media interview over the state of transport in Singapore, Transport Minister Khaw Boon Wan said that he needs at least 14 years to achieve a reliable public transport system and make Singapore “car-lite”.

“Going car-lite depended on three factors: To have reliable public transport with the train system as the backbone, hassle-free connecting journeys (first- and last-mile connectivity) to nearby train stations and bus interchanges, and a strong shared system comprising taxis, private-hire cars and car-sharing. This is all “doable” by 2030.”

Minister Khaw said that by 2030, there will be 360km of train lines and 80% of the residential homes will be located within a 10-minute walk from a train station. The Transport Minister also painted an unrealistically futuristic view about “air-conditioned pods shuttling within neighbourhoods providing first- and last-mile connectivity.” There is no details on the “air-conditioned pods” he mentioned.

The Transport Minister reiterated his old speeches saying that his aim is to make car ownership and private-car usage unnecessary. However, Singapore’s public transport is still far from being a viable alternative because of overcrowding and train breakdowns as frequent as once every fortnight.

Minister Khaw also claimed that city planners overseas relies on “heavy congestion” to discourage people from using private transport, and that he is not going to “frustrate” private vehicle owners to achieve that.

“City planners have concluded that the traditional car-centric city model is not sustainable, he said, and while the majority of cities still rely on heavy congestion to discourage driving, this and other measures that frustrate motorists affect quality of life and would create friction in society.”

http://statestimesreview.com/2016/0...o-provide-a-reliable-public-transport-system/

RiderMan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Chris Cheung · Owner at Self-Employed
Don't know how the majority will react to this wait till 2030, many of us have lost trust in them.
Like · Reply · 1 · 4 hrs

Tony Quek · Harvard Business School
Dear Mr Khaw, Plse take a look at buses during off peak hours, many many huge air-conditioned buses for a few passengers! You call that efficiency n sustainability ?? At whose expense? :-):-)
Like · Reply · 2 · 3 hrs

Curio WS · Singapore
to answer your question - can we reduce your salary until you can achieve a reliavable transport service..?? the fact that you admit that you are not able to provide a reliable transport service untiil 2030,( and you are the transport minister,) it means that you are not doing your job well so why should you be paid in full. Right..??
Like · Reply · 2 · 3 hrs

Benny Ng · Singapore
2030 some of us may not be alive ?
Like · Reply · 2 · 3 hrs

Branden Chew · Shanghai, China
Job security man, give this man a tiger.
Like · Reply · 2 hrs

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Sinkieland sounds like a 3rd world country.. Even Thailand can do faster than that.

Brightkid

Alfrescian
Loyal
Many experienced PMETs earning pittance compared to this $8cow and getting retrenched everyday, yet this million-dollar never-achieved-anything MIW wants to stay on till 2030 on million dollar salary?

With 14 more years to go till 2030, he would be retiring with pensions to boot even if MRT is run into the ground by then.

Please Hari kiri now. Let capable people manage the issues.

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal
FOLLOW TRUMP, build a war at JB and changi airport and the entire island will be car and pavement lite

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
2030 ? Let's see someone told us to give him till 2010 to see sungapore in World Cup, that come n go.

How about I give him till 2020 to find myself a new tpt minister via elections ?

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
2030 ? Let's see someone told us to give him till 2010 to see sungapore in World Cup, that come n go.

How about I give him till 2020 to find myself a new tpt minister via elections ?

All these people say earlier or say later also no need to take responsibility one. This Khaw boon wan is smart to give a timeline that by then he is not in the job.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
by the time 2030 comes,i would be a multi multi millionaire and being chauffeured around in my phantom rolls royce.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Khaw learns from Quek. Desmond said that he needed 5 years to fix current problems when he assumed CEO role. And god knows how many more years for new problems. Khaw asks for 14 years ...seeking longer job security.

Khaw should be investigated when the PAP is toppled.