• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Do you feel safe with less educated SPFs?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
None of this is going to help the staff or the country for that matter. The changes are more to show that something is being done.

The better approach not just for the Civil Service but for all Singaporeans is invest in core initiatives as follows

1) Improve the standard of written and spoken English right across all schools. Recruit qualified and proven native English speakers to dramatically improve the standard. Look at the press articles, comments from Government cabinet minister and even lawyers. To compete in this World, one must be able to articulate, be concise and have the ability to bring along their audience to their cause convincingly.

2) Create a compulsory curriculum for all school children that will help them develop confidence in public speaking and the ability to handle a conversation with poise and substance.

3) Create a compulsory curriculum to handle foreigners especially Ang Mos. They must be able to engage an Ang Mo effectively without being pushed or bullied. The curriculum must inculcate a strong sense of self esteem, confidence and the ability to project these attributes.

Over the years I have seen locals increasingly losing their confidence and their self esteem. Many have decided to become porlumpars to advance their careers because they they have low self worth. I have seen our Police Officers struggle to handle Ang Mos. I have seen Senior SAF scholars struggle at international conferences with little sign of leadership. I have seen scholars in the Civil Service make so much noise in their Departments but are meek and quiet at regional conferences.

This was not the case in the 70s and 80s. We had Civil Servants including Police Officers and Army Officers who were interestingly called farmers as opposed to scholars showing exemplary leadership coupled with poise, confidence and high self worth.

Just look at Chan Chun Sing, former CDF, Lim Swee Say, and even Vivian Balakrishnan. Would you ever listen let alone follow these chaps to battle.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is a matter of culture. I've seen tiongs, ah nehs having more self esteem then sinkies. Regardless if they speak or well english. You can make concise points with singlish, what needs to be taught is to overcome the fear of questioning in Singapore.

Satyr

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just compare CCS, LSS and VB even with Indonesian counterparts , who are less proficient in English. Game over. We are like schoolboys.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
When the SPF is staffed with foreigners/SPRs from foreign countries, who may one day use their guns on native sinkies, how do people feel safe?

How confident & safe, do you feel, when you see them crowding into an ambulance, hiding from the rioters outside? never mind using their guns on natives here...they can't even manage, restless 'natives" from another continent.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thats what upsets me. It was not like that. I worry when I see Singaporeans clamp up.

It is a matter of culture. I've seen tiongs, ah nehs having more self esteem then sinkies. Regardless if they speak or well english. You can make concise points with singlish, what needs to be taught is to overcome the fear of questioning in Singapore.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I agree. I remember where a Malaysian Malay lawyer crucified Jayakumar who was MFA Minister and a former Prof of Law Faculty. Not only destroyed Jayakumar in terms of substance but his command of the English language was way above Jayakumar. And the guy was not even a politician.I was like WTF?

Just compare CCS, LSS and VB even with Indonesian counterparts , who are less proficient in English. Game over. We are like schoolboys.

Satyr

Alfrescian
Loyal
Saw Jayakumar's book on display. Title: " Be at the table or be on the menu ". He had the distinction of being both.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well said. LOL!. I seriously do not know why Tommy Koh recommended him to Old Man. Old Man was not impressed by him but listened to Tommy. One colourless character.

Saw Jayakumar's book on display. Title: " Be at the table or be on the menu ". He had the distinction of being both.

jw5

Loyal

Couple Of Points:

1. It is probably safer with less educated SPFs than more educated but manipulative yet needy and cowardly scholars. LOL :biggrin:

2. Why do you refer to Jayakumar by his name but to Kuan Yew as Old Man? :rolleyes: