• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Death sentence that protected an entire generation

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Attended Saturday's "Kenna Police how - your due prpcess" rally at Hong Lim organised by 3 entities - Community Action Network (CAN), Function8 and Think Centre. There were about 100 people including Chee and PT. People spoke but none of them actually addressed the topic. The death sentence did come out quite often. Not sure what the 3 entities did in terms of organisation but certainly missed an opportunity to raise some pertinent issues.

Anyway I did wonder how an entire generation may have benefitted from the death sentence. I know that drugs were not freely available and 99% of Singaporeans may not even seen what a straw of heroin looks like. I do remember prior to the introduction of the death sentence, lots of famous personalities, scions of rich families etc ended in DRCs. whole HDB blacks in some housing estate became hot zones etc. Used to see nightclub hostess lying on the pavement completely stoned.

Not sure if these activists know what it was like in the 70s when drugs began entering the country .

stingray

Alfrescian
Loyal
Death sentence for murderers/killers/slaughterers and drug traffickers/dealers/runners is a necessity to keep the country safe for its people. Paps do not always impose death penalty on those criminals. Only Fat Ah Kim in North Korea did it.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Attended Saturday's "Kenna Police how - your due prpcess" rally at Hong Lim organised by 3 entities - Community Action Network (CAN), Function8 and Think Centre. There were about 100 people including Chee and PT. People spoke but none of them actually addressed the topic. The death sentence did come out quite often. Not sure what the 3 entities did in terms of organisation but certainly missed an opportunity to raise some pertinent issues.

Anyway I did wonder how an entire generation may have benefitted from the death sentence. I know that drugs were not freely available and 99% of Singaporeans may not even seen what a straw of heroin looks like. I do remember prior to the introduction of the death sentence, lots of famous personalities, scions of rich families etc ended in DRCs. whole HDB blacks in some housing estate became hot zones etc. Used to see nightclub hostess lying on the pavement completely stoned.

Not sure if these activists know what it was like in the 70s when drugs began entering the country .

ah, shut the fuck up, you fake oppo supporter. More innocent people have been executed then those that have been justly put to death. 30g of morphine or 30g of cocaine gets the death penalty. In the past and even today, the police just weights the cocaine or morphine you are caught with. If more then 30g, then get charged with a capital offence. No defence lawyer or prosecutor ever consider that no drug dealer in the world sells pure morphine or cocaine on the street? They cut it, sometimes 3 or 4 times. 30g of morphine on the street might be only 10g of actual morphine, and the rest being additives like talcum powder, milk powder, etc. Police lab checks only determine the presence of the morphine or cocaine in the powder, but does not determine the percentage. So how many got executed for actually having less then 30g? Only they know the answer.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
So how many got executed for actually having less then 30g? Only they know the answer.

The amount is immaterial. Far more important is the message that the death penalty has sent.

I've seen first hand the death, devastation and misery that drugs cause and I'm fully supportive of the PAP's tough stand against this scourge of modern society.

Each execution saves the lives of many. The trade off is well worth it.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
The overly harsh punishment for drug offences in Singapore did not eliminate the presence of drugs, it just made is more difficult to obtain. Like anything else, if one is willing to pay for something, somebody wants to earn that money. That is, if the price is right. Drug usage in Singapore is not prevalent because the youth are diverted to other activities. And because the drugs are made more difficult to obtain, most simply are not drawn by them. But other divergent acitivities still draw them. Like alcohol, and gambling. If one really wants the drug, knows the people, and has the money, you can still obtain it. Just at a higher price.

Cheers!

RandomNexus

Alfrescian
Loyal

I got an old pal who was into drugs as common in the 70s. He thanked the government for the tough actions esp death sentence that caused him to stop drugs, and to sober up. Or else he and his whole family would have to suffer from these.

There might be some screw-ups and maybe possible abuse but on the whole, this pragmatic policy has served this country well.

No qualms about it.

RandomNexus

Alfrescian
Loyal
The amount is immaterial. Far more important is the message that the death penalty has sent.

I've seen first hand the death, devastation and misery that drugs cause and I'm fully supportive of the PAP's tough stand against this scourge of modern society.

Try seeing what drugs did in places when they are freely available. These people are living zombies. Lives and families are destroyed.

It is a scourge.

You are right about the message it sends.

yangtzejiang

Alfrescian
Loyal

The same stance should apply to alcohol - the direct deaths alone from drunk driving can be prevented.

Why do we tolerate the negatives of alcohol? Bring back prohibition.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
ah, shut the fuck up, you fake oppo supporter. More innocent people have been executed then those that have been justly put to death. 30g of morphine or 30g of cocaine gets the death penalty. In the past and even today, the police just weights the cocaine or morphine you are caught with. If more then 30g, then get charged with a capital offence. No defence lawyer or prosecutor ever consider that no drug dealer in the world sells pure morphine or cocaine on the street? They cut it, sometimes 3 or 4 times. 30g of morphine on the street might be only 10g of actual morphine, and the rest being additives like talcum powder, milk powder, etc. Police lab checks only determine the presence of the morphine or cocaine in the powder, but does not determine the percentage. So how many got executed for actually having less then 30g? Only they know the answer.

Also take note that they don't actually follow the rule books when prosecuting ppl with drugs. It depends on the person and his nationality. Remember when ang mohs got caught somehow they will find a way to make sure the drugs are way below the death penalty limit to prevent backlash from their govts but if it's say from countries that don't care or they can bully say vui kong who got his sentence reduced to life imprisonment with 15 strokes and isn't any better than the death penalty.

gatehousethetinkertailor

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not sure how many are aware but heroin is no longer the step-up from ganja locally which was a step-up from glue sniffing. How many Remember the ad campaigns on TV against the glue sniffing epidemic of the early 80s?

It's the meth that is the scourge amongst the youth now. This started back in very early 2000 from across the causeway and was transported by mules via the KL-Singapore coaches.

The number of convictions for heroin abuse is no longer what it used to be in the 80s - AMK was a distribution hub then. The late Ramseth's neighbourhood was one such druggie zone.

I don't think they even sell heroin in straws anymore or ganja as sticks is also no longer sold in that form. And prices are not $15 a straw or $10 a stick anymore either.

Pills have also taken over the scene and we are not talking about the upjon and eremin abuse stemming from clinics in Eunos and Queensway.

Last edited:

shittypore

Alfrescian
Loyal
Death sentence in Sinkieland shld be spelled out clearly, its for Lesser Mortals Sinkies and Third World Countries Lesser Mortals when they commit the crime in Sinkieland that carries the death penalty.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
The same stance should apply to alcohol - the direct deaths alone from drunk driving can be prevented.

Why do we tolerate the negatives of alcohol? Bring back prohibition.

I agree with that too. Unfortunately alcohol is embedded into the fabric of most societies.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Also take note that they don't actually follow the rule books when prosecuting ppl with drugs. It depends on the person and his nationality. Remember when ang mohs got caught somehow they will find a way to make sure the drugs are way below the death penalty limit to prevent backlash from their govts but if it's say from countries that don't care or they can bully say vui kong who got his sentence reduced to life imprisonment with 15 strokes and isn't any better than the death penalty.

They hanged an OZ but he was of the yellow variety.

lifeafter41

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Having spoken to most Americans, and surprising they are very agreeable on the death penalty. In fact, they want it to be there in the USA as well. The political will is just not there to push it through.

Nevertheless I was told that you will not see it being brought up in their MSM.
Not sure if they meant it as a compliment or as a sarcastic remark.....

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's all about the "trend" or whatever is in vogue. With a legalization of pot happening across North America, we'll soon see ganja available in vaporisers! That's kinda cool, considering we had to make do with improvised bongs made out of papaya leaf stalks. Started plucking the leaves off my neighbour's papaya tree until the plant was botak from our use (or abuse)! Haha! Glue-sniffing never caught-on with my circle of friends, we settled for good-ole ganja. And we never progressed to smack or heroin either, some of us tried it, but most found it too expensive to indulge. So we stuck to ganja. Today, these kakis, sit in kopitiam, and are quite contented with beer, the real gateway drug. But that's because ganja now, got to go overseas to smoke!

Cheers!

Not sure how many are aware but heroin is no longer the step-up from ganja locally which was a step-up from glue sniffing. How many Remember the ad campaigns on TV against the glue sniffing epidemic of the early 80s?........................

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Having spoken to most Americans, and surprising they are very agreeable on the death penalty. In fact, they want it to be there in the USA as well. The political will is just not there to push it through.

I don't know what you're talking about because the laws there vary by state. The death penalty currently exists in 32 states and 25 executions were carried out last year alone.

Death_penalty_in_the_United_States.png

lifeafter41

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I don't know what you're talking about because the laws there vary by state. The death penalty currently exists in 32 states and 25 executions were carried out last year alone.

Death_penalty_in_the_United_States.png

Oh, not sure about the 32 states. Those that I spoke to comes from the east coast, New Jersey and state of ny. Do they have the death penalty there?.