• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Euro 2016

Joachim

Alfrescian
Loyal

VIDEO: Inside England's luxury hotel for Euro 2016

By Chris Davie

[video=youtube;eC1BoLVURzg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eC1BoLVURzg[/video]

Wayne Rooney and the rest of the Three Lions will be based at the Auberge du Jeu de Paume in Chantilly with state-of-the-art facilities on demand

If England crash out early at Euro 2016, they certainly can’t blame their hotel and training camp.

Roy Hodgson’s squad will be based at the Auberge du Jeu de Paume luxury hotel in Chantilly for the duration of the tournament.

And judging by the video released on the FA’s official Youtube page, they must have spent a few quid to secure these digs...

Sturridge

Alfrescian
Loyal

xYxQmrx.jpg

SergioRamos

Alfrescian
Loyal

O'Neill apologises for 'inappropriate' comment

Ryan Kelly

w0by8R5.jpg

Roy Keane, Martin O'Neill Republic of Ireland Sportsfile

The former Celtic manager joked that his relationship with Roy Keane was strictly platonic, at a radio event in Cork

Republic of Ireland manager Martin O'Neill has apologised for an "inappropriate comment" he made during an Irish radio event last week and says that he will attempt to avoid such incidents for the rest of his tenure.

O'Neill was speaking to Today FM presenter Matt Cooper on stage in Cork last Wednesday when he joked about his trip to the Super Bowl with Roy Keane, quipping that he and the former Manchester United captain were not "queers".

"Yes I was going to address this, if I have made inappropriate comments in the Opera House in Cork on Wednesday evening I obviously apologise for it ," O'Neill told reporters.

"And I will attempt for the rest of my time here not to make such inappropriate comments."

The remark was subsequently cut from the broadcast version of the interview, but, speaking to the Sunday Times Kieran Rose, chairman of the Gay and Lesbian equality network, described O'Neill's use of the derogatory term as "deeply regrettable".

O'Neill's apology for making "inappropriate comments" follows his ill-fated joke about players' wives and girlfriends in March.

When asked if he would allow 'WAGS' to join his players at Euro 2016, O'Neill jokingly said: "It depends on how good looking the girls are. If they’re really attractive, they’re very welcome.

"The uglier ones I’m afraid not."

Ireland fly to France on Wednesday June 8, where they will continue preparations for their Euro 2016 opener against Sweden from their base in Versailles.

Chicharito

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ireland players take Keane criticism on board, insists O'Neill

By Jack O'Toole

DWgNBIv.jpg

Martin O'Neill, Roy Keane Republic of Ireland Sportsfile

The Boys in Green boss says that the players who were criticised have spoken to the former Manchester United captain about his comments

Martin O'Neill says that Roy Keane's critique of the Republic of Ireland players in the wake of their 2-1 defeat to Belarus was "slightly on the strong side" but insists that any criticism is taken on board "if it is appropriate".

Keane was scathing in his assessment of a number of Ireland players after the loss at Turner’s Cross last week, with Everton midfielder Aiden McGeady, in particular, told that he "could do a lot better".

O'Neill said that the players who came in for criticism had spoken with Keane and that they are "absolutely fine".

"Any pieces of criticism coming their way from either myself, or from Roy, I think the players take it on board if they feel it’s appropriate, if it is appropriate, or dismiss it accordingly," O’Neill told reporters in Dublin.

"I think Roy has already had a word with [McGeady]. I think Roy’s words were, as he said himself ‘slightly on the strong side’ if that’s the case, and he’s spoken to Aiden and the other players involved but the players are absolutely fine."

The Ireland squad will fly out to France on Wednesday before taking on Sweden at the Stade De France in the first game of Group E on Monday, June 13.

JaviMartinez

Alfrescian
Loyal

Denisov out of Euro 2016 with hamstring injury

Joe Wright

wZceStC.jpg

igor denisov Getty Images

Russia have suffered a big blow in their preparations for the Euros after confirming the influential midfielder will miss the tournament, just five days before facing England

Russia have been dealt a blow ahead of their Euro 2016 opener against England after confirming Igor Denisov will miss the tournament due to a hamstring injury.

The 32-year-old Dynamo Moscow midfielder underwent tests after complaining of discomfort following the 1-1 friendly draw with Serbia on Sunday.

And the Russian Football Union have subsequently issued a statement to confirm that Denisov will leave Leonid Slutsky's squad as he has no chance of being fit for any of the group games against England, Slovakia or Wales.

"On Monday, midfielder Igor Denisov underwent the MRT examination in Paris after the injury he got in the friendly match against Serbia," the statement said.

"The examination confirmed a hamstring injury without any possibility to recover within next two weeks. Thus, the player departs to Russia where he will follow the rehabilitation course.

"The coaching and administrative staff of the Russian National team would like to wish Igor Denisov the fastest recovery."

Zenit's Artur Yusupov is expected to be named as Denisov's replacement in Russia's 23-man squad.

The news comes just two weeks after influential midfielder Alan Dzagoev was ruled out of the tournament after sustaining a broken metatarsal bone.

Russia begin their campaign against England on June 11 before facing Slovakia on June 15 and Wales five days later.

Giroud

Alfrescian
Loyal

Del Bosque unsure over De Gea, Casillas for Euro 2016

By Dejan Kalinic

5OJwptS.jpg

Both the Manchester United and Porto shot-stoppers are waiting to find out whether they will play during the tournament in France and the coach remains tight-lipped

Spain coach Vicente del Bosque is unsure who will start his team's Euro 2016 opener but said David de Gea may get his chance against Georgia.

De Gea and captain Iker Casillas are competing for the starting spot at the European Championship, where Spain face the Czech Republic, Turkey and Croatia.

Del Bosque's men complete their preparations for the showpiece tournament with a friendly against Georgia on Tuesday.

Speaking at his pre-match news conference, the 65-year-old said he was in no rush to make a decision before his side's opening game of the event on June 13.

"It's possible that De Gea will play tomorrow. Casillas did so against South Korea and that's all we can say," Del Bosque said.

"I don't have to make that decision now, and I'll make my mind up at a later date."

Del Bosque was unwilling to make guarantees over his team for the tournament opener, with Spain coming off a 6-1 thrashing of South Korea.

His focus is instead on the two-time defending champions become more familiar with one another.

"I don't know because our concern is that the 20 field players have a chance and become familiar," Del Bosque said.

"We know how we're going to play. The most important thing is to know how we play and tomorrow we will put it into practice."

Joachim

Alfrescian
Loyal

'It's a done deal' - O'Neill happy to stick with Ireland

Ryan Kelly
Sportsfile

sxYk3pG.jpg

The Boys in Green boss is not worried about the fact that he has not "put pen to paper" on his new deal to remain as manager

Martin O'Neill says that he is happy to trust Football Association of Ireland (FAI) chief John Delaney over his new contract, despite not having "put pen to paper" on the deal.

The FAI announced that it had agreed new deals with O'Neill and his backroom team, which includes Roy Keane, on Tuesday, but the Republic of Ireland boss revealed on Thursday that his agreement with Delaney had only been sealed with a handshake.

Nevertheless, the former Celtic manager is not concerned, noting that a similar process occurred when he first agreed to take succeed Giovanni Trapattoni in November 2013.

"We've agreed new deals - it's a done deal - and we want to stay on now," O'Neill told FAI TV.

"When I was speaking to John Delaney, John felt just for clarification really as much as anything else so that we could go [to Euro 2016] with a free mind. And [I'm] happy to do so. I've been mulling it over for some time and just wanted to do it.

"The very fact that we haven't put pen to paper is no intrusion whatsoever. If memory serves me correctly, two and a half years ago when John asked me to sign up we did so on the shaking of one's hand and I think we actually might have signed to contract about six or seven weeks later.

"It was something like that, but it certainly wasn't in the day that I agreed to do it and here we are two and a half years later. I will have to assume that the same thing will apply to both parties."

The Boys in Green held their first open training session in their Versailles base on Thursday in front of a packed Stade de Montbauron. As they gear up for their Group E opener against Sweden, O'Neill said that it was "great" for his players.

"That was really nice actually," said the Derry native. "Because when you have an open training session outside your own country you would wonder at how well it might be attended and it was great."

Ireland take on Sweden at the Stade de France on Monday, June 13.

Sturridge

Alfrescian
Loyal

Nothing to clarify on Italy squad - Conte

By Stephen Creek

Nw0Kl8h.jpg

The impending Chelsea manager is satisfied with his 23-man squad for the upcoming European Championship, denying his available options lack the desired creativity

Italy coach Antonio Conte has dismissed criticism of his squad selection for Euro 2016, insisting his players have his "utmost trust".

Conte's decision to overlook the likes of Jorginho and Giacomo Bonaventura led to suggestions that the squad lacks the creativity Italy will need to overcome Belgium, Sweden and the Republic of Ireland in Group E.

But Conte, who will depart his role to take over at Chelsea after the tournament, insists he paid little heed to the comments.

"We care very little about what people from the outside have to say.

"In terms of my squad choices, there is nothing to clarify. I chose 23 players who all have my utmost trust. I know what they can give me and there's nothing else to say on that matter.

"We are only focused on ourselves and concentrating on improving as a group, in our principles and our philosophy.

"It is all about remaining concentrated and getting the most out of ourselves that we can. We will keep our heads down and move forward."

Italy are training in Montpellier ahead of their Group E opener against Belgium in Lyon, and Conte said the temperatures in the south of France were proving a challenge.

antonio-conte-italy_hlbd4wn7zafb1k31a9icvvy7t.jpg

"We’re working in higher temperatures than at Coverciano. There it was cooler and we worked better," he said.

"We faced temperatures of 26 to 27 degrees, so we have to acclimatise in a hurry.

"I thank the mayor and the city of Montpellier for the welcome they've given us. We made a careful choice. This offers us a great sports centre, a quiet town and a large Italian contingent. It's the ideal location.

"Our fans have given us energy and enthusiasm. We thank them, they're very important."

Marchisio

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ronaldo, Kane & Martial star in new Nike advert for Euro 2016

Oli Platt

PdzNhdX.jpg

The Portugal star plays the lead role in 'The Switch', Nike's six-minute film featuring a host of professional players and teams set to feature this summer

The dream of many budding young footballers of emulating Cristiano Ronaldo comes true for one fan in a special new Nike advert released ahead of Euro 2016.

The Portugal forward plays the lead role in the 'The Switch', a six-minute film which sees Ronaldo switch bodies with a fan from England.

Blessed with his hero's skill, the fan rises through the ranks to represent Manchester City and England before going head-to-head with Ronaldo - who has had to learn his own game all over again.

[video=youtube;scWpXEYZEGk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scWpXEYZEGk[/video]

Anthony Martial, Harry Kane and a host of Portugal stars also feature in the advert, which you can watch below in its entirety.

Lukaku

Alfrescian
Loyal

France v Romania preview: Pressure on hosts as Euro 2016 begins

Chris Myson

hTNPgKs.jpg

The first match of Euro 2016 begins as Les Bleus take on Anghel Iordanescu's experienced side in the opener

Hosts France kick off Euro 2016 against Romania at Stade de France on Friday, with Didier Deschamps' men rated as the favourites to win the tournament.

Two-time winners France are hoping to match Germany and Spain – teams who represent their main rivals for glory this year - by winning a third continental title.

Les Bleus are looking to become the first host nation to triumph in the competition since they achieved the feat themselves in 1984, but recent editions have seen them fail to make it beyond the quarter-finals since winning their last title in 2000.

France come into the event in fine form having won nine of their last 10 matches after rounding off their preparation with a 3-0 win over Scotland last Saturday.

Deschamps has a key selection dilemma in attack after star striker Karim Benzema was not considered for selection due to an ongoing legal investigation into an alleged plot to blackmail fellow international Mathieu Valbuena.

Antoine Griezmann is almost certain to fill one of the three attacking positions, with Kingsley Coman, Andre-Pierre Gignac, Olivier Giroud, Anthony Martial and Dimitri Payet fighting over the other two spots.

Giroud has been receiving a negative reaction from some parts of the France support despite scoring seven goals in his last five starts, while Payet produced a trademark free-kick to seal victory over Cameroon on May 30 – form which perhaps gives that duo the edge.

"Griezmann is happy," Deschamps said to L'Equipe ahead of the match. "He had a long season with Atletico and our main priority was to give him some rest before the start of the tournament.

"Antoine has certain qualities that make him one of the best attackers around in Europe. He has always been a good player, but he has become more consistent.

"He will be ready, but he will not necessarily be the leader of our attack. I have six attackers with a lot of quality and with different profiles."

After Lassana Diarra's injury, Leicester City's N'Golo Kante is hoping to fill the final midfield spot alongside Blaise Matuidi and Paul Pogba, while Adil Rami appears to have won the race to partner Laurent Koscielny at centre-back with a number of key defenders – including Raphael Varane – out injured.

With France seen as the team to beat in the competition, Europe may be expecting a home victory against Romania, but the visitors are not to be underestimated despite having only ever won one of their 13 Euros matches, a result which came against England at Euro 2000.

Les Bleus may be unbeaten in 10 matches against Romania, but four of the last five meetings have ended in draws, while Anghel Iordanescu's men had the best defensive record in qualifying – only conceding twice in 10 games.

The two nations have met twice before in the tournament's group stages, with France winning 1-0 in 1996 and a 0-0 draw at Euro 2008.

Romania are not a squad of seasoned internationals, though. The visitors have the second least experienced squad at the tournament with their 23 players having an average of just 22.4 caps at the start of June.

Giroud

Alfrescian
Loyal

France 2-1 Romania: Giroud and Payet fire Les Bleus to opening day win

dimitri-payet-olivier-giroud-france-romania-uefa-euro-2016-10062016_1dsny1dw9gxk41hy4halfdaipy.jpg

Peter Hanson
Jun 10, 2016 21:54:00

The West Ham attacker scored a late stunner to earn the three points after Bogdan Stancu's second-half penalty had cancelled out Giroud's opener

Dimitri Payet was France's hero on Friday as his stunning late strike earned the hosts a 2-1 victory over Romania in their Euro 2016 opener.

Les Bleus were staring down the barrel of a frustrating draw in the Group A contest at the Stade de France with Bogdan Stancu's penalty cancelling out Olivier Giroud's 57th-minute opener.

But with the clock winding down, West Ham star Payet - France's outstanding player on the night - curled in a brilliant left-footed effort from 25 yards to seal all three points.

It was a deserved win for Didier Deschamps' team and Payet was at the heart of all their best attacking play, the 29-year-old having also provided the assist for Olivier Giroud to head home an eighth goal in his past six international starts.

France's margin of victory could have been greater with Giroud at times wasteful and Antoine Griezmann hitting the post in the first half.

But Didier Deschamps will be thrilled with the victory, as well as Payet's dazzling performance.

For all the attacking talent at France's disposal, concerns over their defence have been highlighted in the build-up to the tournament.

And those worries were evident in the fourth minute when Nicolae Stanciu's corner was flicked to the back post where Stancu was denied inside the six-yard box by a stunning save from Hugo Lloris.

France survived the shaky start and Giroud should have done better with a header from eight yards that he put past the left-hand post following good work from Payet.

Griezmann then went even closer, the Atletico Madrid forward nodding against the right post after Bacary Sagna's teasing delivery bounced off Vlad Chiriches.

Les Bleus were frustrated again 10 minutes before the break when Payet's fizzed cross was met by Griezmann only for a crucial touch from Cristian Sapunaru to take the ball wide.

dimitri-payet-france-romania-uefa-euro-2016-10062016_1uqki00498irn1na4161157hk5.jpg

france-romania-06102016_1v8czrw522xh51974vgrubty50.jpg

The missed chances almost proved costly early in the second half as Stanciu clipped a delicious ball into Stancu, who could only volley wide when unmarked in the area.

France again found their rhythm, though, and the superb Payet bamboozled the Romania defence with a clever dummy before teeing up the unusually subdued Paul Pogba to volley at Ciprian Tatarusanu from the edge of the box.

From the resulting corner France finally went ahead. Payet received a short one to cross from the right and Giroud bravely headed into the left-hand corner under pressure from Tatarusanu.

The lead lasted just eight minutes, though, as Patrice Evra was penalised for a clumsy barge on Stanciu in the area and Stancu coolly converted the penalty low to his right.

Giroud saw tentative penalty claims of his own for a tug from Chiriches waved away by referee Viktor Kassai, but France were not to be denied.

With just one minute of normal time remaining, Payet picked up the ball on the right and bent an unstoppable effort past Tatarusanu into the top left-hand corner, before weeping tears of joy as he was replaced late on.

Sterling

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hodgson welcomes selection headaches ahead of Russia clash

By Peter Hanson

qYpTi85.jpg

The Three Lions have a wealth of options in attack and the coach says that while it is difficult to pick a team for their Euro 2016 opener is it a problem he is happy to have

Roy Hodgson is delighted by the selection headaches he has been faced with ahead of England's Euro 2016 opener against Russia and insists past failures will have no impact on his team's chances in France.

Much of the build-up to England's Group B opener has surrounded on how Hodgson best fits captain Wayne Rooney into his starting XI along with a wealth of attacking talent, including Harry Kane, Jamie Vardy and Dele Alli.

The England manager has tinkered with several variations in warm-up matches against Turkey, Australia and Portugal, with Vardy and Kane employed in wider positions against the latter and Rooney playing centrally.

That experiment drew plenty of criticism and it remains to be seen how Hodgson will solve the conundrum, but the man himself is glad of the options.

"Yes definitely [it is a selection headache] in terms of players who can command a place in team," he told Friday's pre-match media conference in Marseille.

"It is not easy to pick teams but I don't think I am alone in that. Quite a few teams have strong squads and selection headaches.

"I am pleased with the ones I have. I'm happy having gone through an intense period that we have all players fit and ready for selection.

"We have qualities, there is no doubt about that. We are relatively inexperienced in terms of age and caps. It's not an advantage per se, but having said that I think the lack of experience in the team is counter-acted in some way by youth, energy, enthusiasm and a group of players keen to do well.

"They want to give the best of themselves. They have prepared well. We can't ask any more, we will try and guide them along the way."

It has been 50 years since England won their only major tournament at the 1966 World Cup, while 20 have passed since they last reached a semi-final at Euro 96.

Hodgson was the man in charge as England lost in the quarters of Euro 2012 and crashed out of the group stage at the World Cup two years ago, but he insists that has no bearing on the upcoming tournament.

"First of all we don't broach the subject, there's never a team meeting where we discuss tournaments we're about to take part in where we discuss past tournaments," he added.

"We haven't discussed 2012, or 2014 - it's water under the bridge. If we take 2012 for example there's only three players, I think, that remain so the squad has changed enormously."

Ibrahimovic

Alfrescian
Loyal

Iordanescu rues missed chances in France loss

By Dom Farrell at the Stade de France
AFP

AALYOBQ.jpg

Bogdan Stancu's penalty had cancelled out an opener from Olivier Giroud before Payet struck, and the Romania coach heaped praise on the West Ham man

Romania coach Anghel Iordanescu paid tribute to his beaten side but lamented missed opportunities as Dimitri Payet sensationally inspired hosts France to a 2-1 win in the Euro 2016 opener.

West Ham playmaker Payet was preferred to Manchester United's Anthony Martial in a three-pronged attack and created a 57th-minute opener for Olivier Giroud before unleashing a stunning 30-yard strike into the top corner with a minute remaining.

Bogdan Stancu levelled from the penalty spot but the striker missed a guilt-edged chance at the start of each half, meaning a proud Iordanescu felt a pang of regret at his post-match news conference.

"I think we played a good match, with both positives and negatives," he said.

"We started the first half in excellent fashion and we had a very rare chance that the keeper was able to keep out.

"Had we scored, it would have changed the match. At the start of the second period, we got into the box a great deal but unfortunately Stancu missed that chance again.

"We had some positives moments and tricky moments because we came up against a powerful side.

"Well done to my players for carrying out my instructions and I thank them for the quality of their play, despite the fact we lost the game.

"It hurts to lose a game in the 89th minute. It was a fabulous strike from a wonderful player."

The veteran tactician concedes he now has a job on his hands to pick his players up for their next Group A encounter against Switzerland.

"Had you had access to the dressing room, you could see how disappointed the players were," he added.

"It'll be difficult to re-establish the players' physical form and fitness, because they're exhausted, but you have to consider the psychological aspect."

Lukaku

Alfrescian
Loyal

Defiant De Gea denies sex case allegations

XVvnHFn.jpg

The Manchester United goalkeeper appears in a police report alongside Iker Muniain, but has rejected the accusations and pledged to keep fighting in the tournament

David de Gea has strongly denied any involvement in an alleged sex case, while insisting that he will stay with the Spain team at Euro 2016.

The accusations were published by El Diario on Friday, just three days before the Roja kick off their campaign against Czech Republic.

A copy of the purported police report shows the testimony of a protected witness, who alleges she was forced to perform sexual acts against her will in a Madrid hotel suite rented by jailed pornography baron 'Torbe'.

According to the testimony, Iker Muniain and another, unidentified player from Spain's Under-21 team were involved in the alleged events, which took place in 2012.

While De Gea is not accused of being present at the scene, the witness stated that the current Manchester United keeper organised the evening with Torbe - whose real name is Ignacio Allende Fernandez.

"I am the first to be surprised by this story, it is complete lies and falsehoods," he responded in a press conference.

"This gives me more strength to be with this team, it is now in my lawyers' hands."

De Gea rejected any notion that he would be dropping out of Spain's Euro 2016 challenge.

"I am going to stay with the national team, I have the strength and my team-mates' support and I want to fight for the Euros," he affirmed.

De Gea later trained as normal with the Spain team at their La Rochelle base with their Group D opener coming on Monday afternoon when they tackle Czech Republic in Toulouse.

Baines

Alfrescian
Loyal

England fans clash with police again in Marseille

By Gill Clark

kMJ19FU.jpg

Three Lions supporters have been involved in disturbances again in France with police in riot gear having to restore order using tear gas after scenes turned ugly

England fans have been involved with clashes with French police in Marseille for the second day running ahead of the Three Lions’ opening game against Russia on Saturday.

Police in full riot gear used tear gas to disperse fans who had congregated in the French port on Friday following similar clashes on Thursday night.

There were reports of bottles being thrown at police by fans who had been drinking with police using tear gas and detaining some fans in a bid to restore order.

Goal's Chris Wheatley was on the scene and said: "We’ve just seen someone knocked out. Absolutely shocking scenes here in Marseille. I can still feel the tear gas in my eyes. There’s not much else to say apart from absolutely disgraceful scenes by England fans.

"We were told to put our cameras down by some England fans. Have they destroyed anything yet? It looks like they are about to. Looking at all the shopkeepers packing way now. Absolutely disgraceful scenes now.

"Shocking scenes in Marseille. Riot police are here but obviously there's not much they can do about it as there are thousands of England fans on the streets about 70,000 predicted to be at Stade Velodrome for Saturday's game now about 12 hours away. "

3299352hp2.jpg

After Thursday’s disturbances the Football Association released a statement asking for supporters to behave as Roy Hodgson’s men prepare for their first game of the tournament.

“We are really disappointed by the scenes of disorder in Marseille yesterday evening and condemn such behaviour,” read the statement.

“It is in the hands of the authorities to identify those involved and deal with them appropriately.

“The FA urges supporters who are travelling to Marseille to act in a respectful manner and enjoy the match against Russia.”

Schweinsteiger

Alfrescian
Loyal

Germany v Ukraine: Schurrle ready for any role

10 June 2016

1091829header.jpg

Andre Schurrle is ready and willing to take on any role in Germany's Euro 2016 opener against Ukraine at the Stade Pierre Mauroy in Lille on Sunday.

Wolfsburg forward Schurrle featured as a substitute in three of Germany's qualifying matches for the European Championship.

The 25-year-old also came on from the bench during the world champions' warm-up fixtures against Slovakia – a 3-1 defeat – and Hungary, which they won 2-0.

With just one recognised striker in the squad in Mario Gomez, Joachim Low is expected to fluidly interchange his forward line.

That will not be a problem for Schurrle, who is willing to do whatever he can when called upon by coach Joachim Low.

"Regardless of what role I play, I'm ready," he said at a media conference on Friday.

"We're well prepared and are excited that it's finally about to begin. Our weeks of preparation have gone well and we've also worked hard here in France.

"We're all used to late kick-offs as it's the same in the Champions League. It's not a big issue. We know how to act, how everything runs and when to switch on."

Having failed to shine in their warm-up fixtures, Julian Draxler acknowledged Germany need to improve.

The Wolfsburg midfielder also moved to allay any concerns over his fitness having only made three appearances for club and country since April.

"We haven't yet performed to our absolute best," he said. "I'm not worried though. We'll be at our highest possible level when the tournament starts.

"I focused as quickly as possible on getting back into shape. I've worked on my comeback day and night and I believe that's gone well."

Germany assistant coach Thomas Schneider highlighted Andriy Yarmolenko and Yevhen Konoplyanka as Ukraine's key threat during a media conference on Thursday.

The pacey duo combined for a goal each in the 4-3 win against Romania on May 29 and were both on target in the 3-1 win over Albania, sending the eastern Europeans into the competition full of confidence.

But, while Mykhailo Fomenko's team are unbeaten in their last six matches, they have failed to secure a victory against Germany in five attempts.

Their task may be made slightly easier with the participation of Germany duo Mats Hummels and Bastian Schweinsteiger still uncertain.

Centre-back Hummels has been unable to train with his team-mates due to a calf injury, and, although he is moving towards a return to fitness, his availability for Sunday remains unclear.

Jonathan Tah, a late call-up to the squad after Antonio Rudiger suffered a cruciate ligament injury, could subsequently be in line to feature in defence.

Key Opta stats:

- Nine of the last 13 goals in games between Germany and Ukraine have been scored before half-time.

- This is Germany's 12th European Championship appearance, more than any other team. They have won it three times (1972, 1980, 1996), the most alongside Spain (1964, 2008, 2012).

- Germany have never lost their opening game at the Euros (W6 D5).

- This is Ukraine's second appearance at the finals. However, it's the first time they have qualified for the tournament (they were co-hosts in 2012).

- Joachim Low has taken charge of 11 games as manager at the European Championship, the joint-most alongside Berti Vogts. He has led Germany since 2006, the longest current tenure among managers who made it to Euro 2016.

Fabregas

Alfrescian
Loyal

Albania v Switzerland: Xhaka brothers set to make history

9 June 2016

1091005header.jpg

Switzerland midfielder Granit Xhaka will go head-to-head with his brother Taulant when Switzerland meet Albania in their Euro 2016 opener in Lens.

The pair will become the first siblings ever to face off against each other in a European Championship match, and Granit Xhaka - who signed for Arsenal in May - described the match up as "the last thing we could wish for".

The 23-year-old, who joined Arsenal from Borussia Monchengladbach, will be hoping to get the better of his brother Taulant, 25, who is expected to start in midfield for Albania in the Group A match.

He told the Evening Standard: "It is a very special match for me and the family. We have already spoken about it at home.

"To play against each other is absolutely the last thing we could wish for. We have faced each other before, back when I was at Basel and my brother was on loan at Grasshopper Zürich.

"At the time, it was a very strange feeling, but nevertheless, we are both looking forward to the game, and we are professional enough to not let our close relationship be a factor in the match. May the best team win!"

The brothers were born to Albanian parents but the family moved from Kosovo to Basel in Switzerland before either of the talented siblings were born. Despite representing Switzerland at youth level, Taulant made the switch to play for Albania as a full international.

Granit explained: "My brother and I were both born and grew up in Switzerland. I saw Albania for the first time at the age of twelve, and since then I have been on holiday there many times in the summer and winter with my grandparents.

"The Albania national team never showed an interest in me, but Switzerland did. With my brother it was a different story."

Albania's squad contains six players who could have qualified to play for Switzerland, but their decision to play for Gianni de Biasi's side has given the coach one of the strongest teams in the country's history as they make their debut at a European Championship finals.

In Nantes centre-back Lorik Cana, Albania have an experienced captain, and he will be flanked by Elseid Hysaj, who enjoyed a superb season at right-back for Napoli in 2015-16.

De Biasi has no injury concerns, so Sokol Cikalleshi may operate as a lone striker, but his record of two goals in 18 international games does not bode well for Albania's chances of finding the net.

Switzerland coach Vladimir Petkovic has been monitoring the fitness of Watford's Swiss midfielder Valon Behrami, who has not been able to take a full part in training ahead of Saturday's clash, and experienced Rennes playmaker Gelson Fernandes.

Key Opta Stats:

- Switzerland are unbeaten in their six encounters with Albania (winning five and drawing one), and have never failed to score in those meetings.

- Albania scored the fewest goals in the qualifying campaign among the 24 teams who made it to Euro 2016: seven goals in seven games effectively played (the game against Serbia was awarded as a 3-0 win to Albania).

- Switzerland have only won one of their nine games at the European Championship (2-0 v Portugal in June 2008). They have never gone past the group stages.

- Xherdan Shaqiri has scored in each of his two games with Switzerland against Albania.

- Vladimir Petkovic and Gianni De Biasi are both taking part in their first major international tournaments as managers.

Muslera

Alfrescian
Loyal

Turkey v Croatia: Rakitic rallies gifted Croats

10 June 2016

1091642header.jpg

Ivan Rakitic believes Croatia's blend of talent and experience gives them the opportunity to make a major statement at Euro 2016.

Barcelona midfielder Rakitic was one of a number of Croatia stars who came to prominence during their Euro 2008 run to the quarter-finals - progress that was halted by a penalty shootout defeat to Turkey, who they face in their opening Group D encounter in Paris.

Rakitic is now 28 and stands alongside international team-mate Luka Modric, 30, as one of the most accomplished midfielders in Europe and with plenty of flair alongside that impressive fulcrum, the former Sevilla man believes now is the time to shine.

"It is true that we have a lot of years together," Rakitic told reporters at a news conference.

"I was talking to Luka [and saying] that it was time to do something serious.

"This Euros will be the best quality in recent years. We will do our best, We believe in our team, we have a nice mix of old and young players in big clubs.''

On whether this is the strongest Croatia side he has turned out for, Rakitic stated his team-mates still have this to prove - although he felt a 10-0 concluding warm-up win over minnows San Marino, featuring hat-tricks from strikers Mario Mandzukic and Nikola Kalinic, offered plenty of encouragement.

"All this is fine, playing in the strongest clubs, but we need to show it on the field," he said.

"Against San Marino, we played the best match in terms of intensity. I've never played a game like this in these nine years."

Defending champions Spain and Czech Republic complete a round-robin line-up that Turkey coach Fatih Terim felt represented the "group of death" after December's draw.

The veteran three-time Galatasaray boss, who is also in charge of his national team for a third stint, believes the initial outing at Parc des Princes could come to define Turkey's tournament.

"Win this match and we decide which road we take," he said, as quoted by Hurriyet.

"The match against Croatia is a final as far as we are concerned.

"I believe if we do good work we can leave the group."

Teen sensation Emre Mor might be poised to establish himself as Turkey's next superstar after securing a move to Borussia Dortmund this been but Arda Turan is likely to be a key figure in any prolonged run in France.

Despite a failing to establish himself as a first-team fixture at Barcelona this season, Rakitic holds his Camp Nou midfield colleague in high regard.

"As a person he is fantastic, the true character of the team - always smiling, likes to joke," Rakitic added.

"His quality that we need to talk to about could fill a library. He has phenomenal quality on the ball, reminds me of [ex Croatia playmaker Robert] Prosinecki.

"We must be prepared, because he is very dangerous."

Key Opta stats

- This is Turkey and Croatia’s third European Championship encounter. Croatia won 1-0 in the Euro 96 group stages before Turkey held their nerve from 12 yards after the 1-1 draw eight years ago.

- Turkey have won none of their six games against Croatia during open play (D4 L2) and have also never led at any point during those matches.

- Fatih Terim's men are appearing in their fourth Euros, with those four qualifications coming in the last six tournaments. They had failed to qualify for any of the previous nine European Championships.

- Croatia have lost just one of their last six group games in the European Championships (W4, D1).

- Mario Mandzukic scored three of Croatia’s four goals at Euro 2012.

Sturridge

Alfrescian
Loyal

Poland v Northern Ireland: We´re ready for Lewandowski, says McAuley

10 June 2016

1091767header.jpg

Gareth McAuley insists Northern Ireland are "ready for the challenge" of facing Robert Lewandowski in their Euro 2016 opener against Poland.

Bayern Munich star Lewandowski is one of the world's most feared strikers, and scored 42 goals in all competitions for his club last season.

The 27-year-old was also the top scorer in qualifying for the Euros, plundering 13 goals in 10 appearances as Poland came second behind Germany in Group D.

However, West Brom defender McAuley is looking forward to pitting himself against Poland's prolific captain.

"He is a top player for Poland, but they have other threats too," said McAuley.

"Scoring 42 goals in the Bundesliga and 13 in the qualifying campaign for this tournament shows you what Lewandowski is capable of. He could easily go to the Premier League and be tested there.

"We are ready for the challenge of keeping them out - but we will want to test the Polish defence as well."

Northern Ireland are competing at their first major tournament since the 1986 World Cup, and McAuley is hopeful the 2016 vintage can "leave a legacy" that ensures the nation are not waiting another 30 years to participate in a finals.

"We want to do well at this tournament, not just make up the numbers," he added. "There is a real hunger. We know we can be tough to beat, but we have to get the balance right.

"We are ready to go. There is a little bit of tension building which is a nice feeling.

"This has done a lot for the country and it is fantastic to see how many people are behind us from all sections of the community."

Northern Ireland coach Michael O'Neill has a fully fit squad to choose from for the clash in Nice, with Kyle Lafferty expected to be fit to lead the line after suffering a scare with a groin injury earlier in the week.

Poland winger Kamil Grosicki is unlikely to recover from an ankle injury in time, but Jakub Blaszczykowski is likely to play.

THE_CHANSTER

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
England may never win a major tournament in my lifetime but they will always be World Champions in Football Hooliganism. A rich pedigree in thuggery

Let's hope they go on a rampage when Russia beat them tonight.