• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Older workers suffer the most.

hokkien

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
SINGAPORE: More people in Singapore were laid off last year, with older workers hit the hardest, figures released by the Ministry of Manpower (MOM) on Wednesday (Apr 20) showed.

A total of 15,580 workers were laid off in 2015, a jump from the 12,930 laid off the previous year, according to the ministry’s annual Redundancy and Re-entry into Employment report.

Among residents made redundant, those aged 40 and above formed the majority at 65 per cent. PMETs (professionals, managers, executives and technicians) were also more vulnerable, with 8.9 layoffs per 1,000 employees compared to the overall 7.4.

Overall, residents were less vulnerable to lay-offs compared to foreigners, with the incidence of redundancy among residents at 7.1 layoffs per 1,000 employees lower than foreigners at 7.7 per 1,000.

SOFTER ECONOMIC CONDITIONS A KEY CAUSE

Firms cited ongoing business restructuring and softer economic conditions as the main reasons for redundancies, the report said.

The majority of the increase came from the manufacturing and professional services sector, which has been hit by the fall in global oil prices and a slowdown in marine and construction demand. Redundancies also rose in wholesale trade and financial services.

The rate of re-entry into employment among residents also fell. According to the report, 66 per cent of residents who were laid off between January and September last year found employment by December, compared to the rate of 68 per cent in 2014.

A total of 81 per cent of residents who re-entered employment took three months or less to secure their new job, broadly similar to past cohorts, the ministry said.

“MOM will continue to closely monitor the economic and labour market situation, and work with tripartite partners to strengthen employment support to help displaced locals re-enter employment,” the ministry said.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Always love this part below that follows after announcement about job losses are made. Why put something like that when they do nothing meaningful or material that will help these affected employees.

Though I don't expect MOM to look for jobs for these workers but they should be announcing how many jobs have been created and lost each month. They should also be judged by the ability to effect a net increase and paid accordingly.

“MOM will continue to closely monitor the economic and labour market situation, and work with tripartite partners to strengthen employment support to help displaced locals re-enter employment,” the ministry said.

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
Always love this part below that follows after announcement about job losses are made. Why put something like that when they do nothing meaningful or material that will help these affected employees.

Though I don't expect MOM to look for jobs for these workers but they should be announcing how many jobs have been created and lost each month. They should also be judged by the ability to effect a net increase and paid accordingly.

No. Every ministry needs to pay for itself. Collecting more money is the easier way to get "paid accordingly".

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
sad it is! my elder brother working for an american MNC was given the pink slip last month. he is 47 this year. and yet he is a pap supporter.

pap has not kept its promises, they are declining depsite given obscene salary, michael and david are good indicators that pap is no more the pap under lky.

Ambulance

Alfrescian
Loyal
sad it is! my elder brother working for an american MNC was given the pink slip last month. he is 47 this year. and yet he is a pap supporter.

pap has not kept its promises, they are declining depsite given obscene salary, michael and david are good indicators that pap is no more the pap under lky.

hahahaha ... cb kia yia pee eh pee eh lui kaki gung kaki lang lan sai wei ... kukubird59

lifeafter41

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Hi Kraft, I am sorry to hear that. Maybe he can join you in oz too.
Hope that he has good savings to tide him over during unemployment.

I know how it feels, our company recently had an R excercise this month.
Morale is low.....the younger engineers are leaving......

Got a feeling this is not the end of the R exercise........
But......life has to go on....

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Older workers can go clean tables, drive taxis and work as security guards. Most of them were very snobbish just a couple of years ago, thinking how great they are. If they are concerned about being retrenched, they should have set up multiple streams of income.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I have never believed any of the FIGURES the government dishes out, never mind M.O.M., they are so "honest" that, if you become a believer in them, there must be something " empty" up there?...& there are..70% of the...

Why complain? when they provide the older folks with so MANY GOODIES.....they take care of you, they make things AFFORDABLE, they make employer employ you...they make sure they have the SINGAPORE CORE..which by the way, since, you know how came on board since 1984.....SINGAPORE HAS A ROTTEN CORE..

Their figures....they are the best, bullshitting, "massaged" ones in the world..if they is any prize for that...they win HANDS DOWN....now the oldies can have their PANTS DOWN...whom did they endorsed....DON'T COMPLAIN...enjoy..."CORES" :p

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Older workers can go clean tables, drive taxis and work as security guards. Most of them were very snobbish just a couple of years ago, thinking how great they are. If they are concerned about being retrenched, they should have set up multiple streams of income.

I have seen security personnel...( psst not GUARDS), with such a BIG BEER BELLY.....guarding the MRT Station...we should be grateful that, we have such dedicated old people who still work....& wrinkled old lady of 70 plus...pushing a trolley, clearing tables...

These are the cores we need......such they have income....we have such a caring government..... sic!

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Many people are aware of this unofficial retirement age in Spore. When you hit your 40's you better get ready to be replaced by someone younger & cheaper.

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal

what a great way to describe yourself.... so when is your turn to get the boot?

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
what a great way to describe yourself.... so when is your turn to get the boot?

It could have happened to me. But then I set up my own business, and I also set up other income sources such as rental and dividends. If business flops, I also won't go bankrupt. Still got my other income sources. If more sinkies did this, they wouldn't have to end up driving taxis or serving as my security guard.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
they deserve to suffer as they have been enjoying fucking geylang prostitutes and living beyond their means eversince they earn their first paycheck.

Leckmichamarsch

Alfrescian
Loyal

Frankly papigs knew this and related problems, They just turned blind eye in blind pursuit of increasing GDP via population size by bringing in shiploads of f trashes at complete expense of sgian - you die your biz, as WP oso cannot help you BUT we need to help ourselves as we need to be paid millions in salaries and perks till hell freezes over.
Remember Jobs Bank?? Took so long to implement and promises a cure BUT never did as it is nothing more than an oasis in the Sahara desert. A big bullshit giving sgian painful false hopes as their e2i and WDA which is there not to help sgian but to put them on wild goose chase as it is now known that in 2015 there were only 100 jobs available and most of them gone to PRs or f trashes brought in PAP to screw sgian,
PAP was aware of hollowing out singaporean cores across the economy but chose not to do anything about it. If they were truly not aware of the core erosion, are they fit to govern?? Why are there a lot more f trashes in finance and banking industries than there are sgian? Who allowed this trend to go north to Mumbai?
DisGraceFu summed up recent debate regarding measures to be taken by govt to turn the curve around but added that sgian must to their part to make it happen... what fucking statement is that?? Heads you win, tails we lose??? PAP fucked it up & PAP shall fix them esp when they are paid so much to do all the right things and papigs have access to all the buttons and levers of powers. Dun ever make such stupid statement like that...... it is plain dis graceful & to govern like that any fool can do, even Harban Singh - bless his bayee soul

Last edited:

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Frankly papigs knew this and related problems, They just turned blind eye in blind pursuit of increasing GDP via population size by bringing in shiploads of f trashes at complete expense of sgian - you die your biz, as WP oso cannot help you BUT we need to help ourselves as we need to be paid millions in salaries and perks till hell freezes over.
Remember Jobs Bank?? Took so long to implement and promises a cure BUT never did as it is nothing more than an oasis in the Sahara desert. A big bullshit giving sgian painful false hopes as their e2i and WDA which is there not to help sgian but to put them on wild goose chase as it is now known that in 2015 there were only 100 jobs available and most of them gone to PRs or f trashes brought in PAP to screw sgian,
PAP was aware of hollowing out singaporean cores across the economy but chose not to do anything about it. If they were truly not aware of the core erosion, are they fit to govern?? Why are there a lot more f trashes in finance and banking industries than there are sgian? Who allowed this trend to go north to Mumbai?
DisGraceFu summed up recent debate regarding measures to be taken by govt to turn the curve around but added that sgian must to their part to make it happen... what fucking statement is that?? Heads you win, tails we lose??? PAP fucked it up & PAP shall fix them esp when they are paid so much to do all the right things and papigs have access to all the buttons and levers of powers. Dun ever make such stupid statement like that...... it is plain dis graceful & to govern like that any fool can do, even Harban Singh - bless his bayee soul

Job Banks is just another PR exercise to pull wool over people's eyes....I am on their data base before it became " job bank"....& that was eons ago....believe me...till this day & date...they have not found me a job..even I just put in basic salary $800 & is able to work below rate, long hours & feed on....ha ha ha....yes, no jobs....the excuse for the inability...a little "peep"...." too QUALIFIED"...I am asking for simple work , with an income that I can just survive on....meals, transport & no LUXURIES...I can't afford...the only luxury I am paying is the PAP government ha ha ha who is the author of my problems...& created the "job banks"....just give me the 'gruel'....

all these I LOOK AFTER YOU....you got to live through them to believe the lies..