• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

10 reasons people emigrate to Canada

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=msgleft width="1%" rowSpan=4></TD><TD class=wintiny noWrap align=right>9981.10 in reply to 9981.1 </TD></TR><TR><TD height=8></TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgtxt>http://www.overseas-emigration.co.uk/immigration-information/canada-immigration/
<TABLE class=contentpaneopen><TBODY><TR><TD class=contentheading width="100%">10 reasons people emigrate to Canada

</TD><TD class=buttonheading align=right width="100%"> </TD><TD class=buttonheading align=right width="100%"> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class=contentpaneopen><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top colSpan=2>1. Canada has a strong migration history which can be seen today as much as ever before. Increased migration accounted for 1.2 million of the 1.6 million increase in Canada’s population between 2001 and 2006. On average, 200,000 people migrate to Canada every year.
2. Immigration has been a key factor in the growth of Canada’s economy over the last decade
3. Anyone who enjoys the wide open spaces will love Canada, with its population density of 3.5 people per square kilometre – the lowest in the world.
4. Canada is one of the world’s richest nations, boasting an impressively high income per capita of US$35,500. It is also a member of the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) and Group of Eight (G8).
5. The quality of life In Canada is absolutely first-rate, and Canada is constantly receiving awards and accolades to affirm this. In 2005, Vancouver won the global award for overall quality of life, with Canada as a whole being ranked 11th out of 114, and Calgary was awarded world’s most environmentally friendly and cleanest city. More recently, the Heritage Foundation in conjunction with the Wall Street Journal ranked Canada 10th out of 161 in the 2007 Index of Economic Freedom, and the Economist named Canada as the world’s 8th most peaceful country in 2007.
6. The opportunities for employment in Canada are plentiful, and potential migrants with a skilled trade behind them will find that their chances of successfully applying for migration to Canada are significantly increased. Opportunities are also rife for businessmen and investors whose work will help to increase Canada’s already flourishing economy.
7. The price of housing in Canada is significantly cheaper than other western countries such as the UK, and migrants are always pleasantly surprised to discover that for a fraction of the price they sold their house for in the UK, they were able to buy the house of their dreams.
8. Migration has been a key factor in the evolution of Canada’s culture, and as a result, multiculturalism is embraced throughout the country. People from various countries throughout the world are therefore welcome in Canada, and migrants can be sure that they will feel accepted whatever part of the country they chose to settle in.
9. Sports and outdoor life are very popular in Canada. The national winter sport of ice hockey is a national pastime and by far the country’s most popular spectator sport. Lacrosse, curling, Canadian football, golf, baseball, skiing, snowboarding, soccer, basketball and volleyball are also widely played and supported.
10. As a Country that boasts breathtaking scenery as well as first-rate urban life, Canada is one of the world’s most visited tourist destinations. Owing to its size, many Canadians choose to holiday within the country, and with eye-opening cities such as Ottawa, Toronto and Montreal, as well as the stunning scenery of Niagara falls and Gatineau National Park, this is hardly surprising.
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
images
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Trout

Alfrescian
Loyal
The top reasons why People don't migrate to Canada - Savage winters, High taxes, US going bankrupt.

Charlie9

Alfrescian
Loyal
The top reasons why People don't migrate to Canada - Savage winters, High taxes, US going bankrupt.

It all depends on the individual, and various matters are relative.

Winter: It depends on where you choose to reside: Vancouver, Victoria, Calgary, Montreal, Quebec City, Toronto, etc. The winter could be long, dark and cold (overnight low of minus 20, minus 25C, even in milder Toronto). We drress in several layers and warmly. For March 31, 2009, the day time high was 4C, and I wore a cotton undershirt, long sleeve cotton shirt, leather jacket, corduroy pants, wool beret, and it was comfortable outside. If it cooler, I may wear a wool sweater under the leather jacket. If it is much colder, say minus 20C, I may not wear my wool sweater and leather jacket, but wear a down filled parka. During the fall (autumn), when the day time high may be 10C, I am comfortable with shorts and golf shirt (t shirt with collar), outside. For me, a temperature higher than 25C is too hot.

Personal Income taxes: Relatively much higher than USA and Singapore, and the top marginal income tax rate (about 46%, whereas several years ago, it was 53.5%) for an individual resident in Ontario, is exigible on taxable in excess of approximately $123,000. However, there are about 35 to 40 miilion residents in Canada. Therefore, unless you have lived in Canada for an extended period (I have been here almost 30 years), your opinion may sound hollow regardless of your true and half true comments. Very few individuals like to pay relatively higher income taxes. But look at the Swedes, Danes and Norwegians, they are rushing to a low tax regime like Singapore. It is part of the overall package.

USA is insolvent: This allegation may be true. However, the US$ is the world's defacto reserve currency. I am not defending the USA and the greed of various individuals which may be one of the causes of the current financial and credit crisis. Live for the positive, rather than constantly worry about those matters which you and I have no or little control.

Cheers.

Trout

Alfrescian
Loyal
It all depends on the individual, and various matters are relative.

Winter: It depends on where you choose to reside: Vancouver, Victoria, Calgary, Montreal, Quebec City, Toronto, etc. The winter could be long, dark and cold (overnight low of minus 20, minus 25C, even in milder Toronto). We drress in several layers and warmly. For March 31, 2009, the day time high was 4C, and I wore a cotton undershirt, long sleeve cotton shirt, leather jacket, corduroy pants, wool beret, and it was comfortable outside. If it cooler, I may wear a wool sweater under the leather jacket. If it is much colder, say minus 20C, I may not wear my wool sweater and leather jacket, but wear a down filled parka. During the fall (autumn), when the day time high may be 10C, I am comfortable with shorts and golf shirt (t shirt with collar), outside. For me, a temperature higher than 25C is too hot.

But the summers do get beyond 35 C as well - terrible heat. The only nice places in Canada with moderate weather might be the 604 area, but that's now marred with the drug war spill-over from the States, and maybe the maritime provinces, but there's little economic opportunities down there, unless the tidal & osmotic power generation projects really get going

Personal Income taxes: Relatively much higher than USA and Singapore, and the top marginal income tax rate (about 46%, whereas several years ago, it was 53.5%) for an individual resident in Ontario, is exigible on taxable in excess of approximately $123,000. However, there are about 35 to 40 miilion residents in Canada. Therefore, unless you have lived in Canada for an extended period (I have been here almost 30 years), your opinion may sound hollow regardless of your true and half true comments. Very few individuals like to pay relatively higher income taxes. But look at the Swedes, Danes and Norwegians, they are rushing to a low tax regime like Singapore. It is part of the overall package.

See my private msg to you, hahaha.

USA is insolvent: This allegation may be true. However, the US$ is the world's defacto reserve currency. I am not defending the USA and the greed of various individuals which may be one of the causes of the current financial and credit crisis. Live for the positive, rather than constantly worry about those matters which you and I have no or little control.

Cheers.

I have no doubts about Canada's economic potential, particularly due to the melting of the ice caps which opens up the northwest passage trade route, new mineral resources and the shifting of the agricultural belt north. But I doubt most singaporeans will like it on this frozen ice-cube.

Cheers,
Trout

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have been told that Ottawa is not a bad place to reside? Quite a good balance between work and personal/play life.

But the summers do get beyond 35 C as well - terrible heat. The only nice places in Canada with moderate weather might be the 604 area,
Cheers,
Trout

ashjaw

Alfrescian
Loyal
I live in the ottawa region now, quite a boring place for young single guys.

Cheers,
Trout
'boring' is very subjective, sitting by a lake appreciating the view and peace could be a wonderful experience for one but boring for another.

Trout

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ok, this was from friends with family, 2 dogs, MPV, SUV and Coupe:biggrin:

Quite the gas guzzler family. Must have been hurting when the gas prices were high. They should learn to Economize, Localize, Produce.

I buy my food from the Community Supported Agriculture farming initiatives, local farmers' market, honey from my co-workers that rear bees, and maple syrup from other other co-workers who have a couple of maple trees.

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
MPV for wife and younger kids; SUV for husband and 2 dogs; coupe for teenage daughter, and there you have a happy family:biggrin: Oh but I gather that like you they do support regional home grown produce and organic stuff. Seriously speaking, I think the work life balance that they described to me sounds really good and the schools where they stay for their kids are of pretty high standards. Only gripes appear to be cold winters and high taxes but I guess you can't have everything right. Younger son is turning out to be quite the chinese wayne gretzky in his ice hockey little league:smile:

Quite the gas guzzler family. Must have been hurting when the gas prices were high. They should learn to Economize, Localize, Produce.

I buy my food from the Community Supported Agriculture farming initiatives, local farmers' market, honey from my co-workers that rear bees, and maple syrup from other other co-workers who have a couple of maple trees.

Trout

Alfrescian
Loyal
I don't support organic farming actually...it actually consumes more resources than industrial farming on a per mass of food produced basis, all my local farmers using industrial production methods, albeit at a smaller scale than Midland Archer Daniels folks....just that its local means less energy is wasted in transportation - 10% of the world's fossil fuel consumption is utilized on shipping food around.

MPV for wife and younger kids; SUV for husband and 2 dogs; coupe for teenage daughter, and there you have a happy family:biggrin: Oh but I gather that like you they do support regional home grown produce and organic stuff. Seriously speaking, I think the work life balance that they described to me sounds really good and the schools where they stay for their kids are of pretty high standards. Only gripes appear to be cold winters and high taxes but I guess you can't have everything right. Younger son is turning out to be quite the chinese wayne gretzky in his ice hockey little league:smile:

ashjaw

Alfrescian
Loyal
but you can't deny that organic food is better for health and bet the air there is much fresher as well. ah well, guess we just have to make do with what we have here. Sounds like you are living in a great place.

Trout

Alfrescian
Loyal
but you can't deny that organic food is better for health and bet the air there is much fresher as well. ah well, guess we just have to make do with what we have here. Sounds like you are living in a great place.

I wouldn't be so sure about what you said. With the banking sector down, the sector one would make big money in is the natural resource extraction sector. you don't get much clean air, water doing that job.

Cheers,
Trout