• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Finalised: Actor playing Old Man in local movie '1965'... But who?

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
China also has its own propaganda movie/tv series.

li_shi_zhuan_zhe_zhong_de_deng_xiao_ping_.jpg

I believe students will be herded off to see the LKY movie, and will have to write reports or have discussion sessions about it afterwards. :wink:

China and Singapore: both countries indeed have much to learn from each other. :cool:

[video=youtube;x5QmU9T3qmc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5QmU9T3qmc[/video]

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
there should be a grammy award or golden horse award for best dictatorial movie from asia....then we can pit China,Singapore and north korea to see whose the best.

i vote north korea for most epic soundtrack.

[video=youtube;zq54msMu3Sc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zq54msMu3Sc[/video]

China also has its own propaganda movie/tv series.

li_shi_zhuan_zhe_zhong_de_deng_xiao_ping_.jpg

I believe students will be herded off to see the LKY movie, and will have to write reports or have discussion sessions about it afterwards. :wink:

China and Singapore: both countries indeed have much to learn from each other. :cool:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
A pity that Christopher Lee has passed away otherwise he could play LKY . Christopher Lee did a good job in "Dracula Has Risen From the Grave":biggrin:

[video=youtube;yrtCawfjDrE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrtCawfjDrE&index=6&list=PLChJRpSUSwZrtkTmh5WCHrVw7qhjN7ktB[/video]

Cerebral

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Re: Why do we still need one more LKY movie?

Propaganda mah. Shore up his legacy before he kicks the bucket.

Getting involved in such a project is also a boon for any actor's CV.

P.S: Don't forget the two LKY musicals. :wink:

I think the propaganda is meant for after he kicks the bucket. Show the show, wax lyrical on all the national channels and then confer him the Father of Modern Singapore title and re-write our history books

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I think the propaganda is meant for after he kicks the bucket. Show the show, wax lyrical on all the national channels and then confer him the Father of Modern Singapore title and re-write our history books

Nah, they will repeat telecast the movie on tv after he kicks the bucket.

But while he's still alive (and with the next GE and 50th NDP coming soon), it's the perfect time to shore up his legacy.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Lim Kay Tong is the man. Not very impressed by his stilted acting.

Lim Kay Tong cast as former PM Lee Kuan Yew in 1965 movie

1965-lim-kay-tong.jpg

SINGAPORE: Veteran actor Lim Kay Tong has been cast as Singapore's former Prime Minister Lee Kuan Yew, in the dramatic thriller 1965, film-makers announced on Wednesday (Oct 8).

Lim said he considers this role "the role of a lifetime", and that he will do the necessary research as he prepares for the role. The 60-year-old said he had "lots of doubts" when he was first approached to play Mr Lee. However, after reading the script, he changed his mind.

He recounted: "I said 'I cannot do it, I do not want to do it and thank you very much'. But as we talked, I thought I had better give the producers a chance, so I said: 'Why don't you send me the script?' So they did. After looking at that, I did not feel so daunted because he is in a way a bookend to the main story, where he frames the timeline.

“The scenes are quite short for Mr Lee Kuan Yew. So I thought, well, with a bit of work, and a bit of research, maybe it's possible. Then I began to look at it positively and say 'Why not just give it a go, because it may be the only chance I'll get'. Once I accepted it, there is no fear, because you are involved, and you want to get it right, and you are preparing as diligently as you can. Hopefully, everything works out."

Lim said he has been prepping for the role by reading materials such as Mr Lee's autobiography and speeches, to "try to get the essence" of the man.

Cerebral

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset

Lim Kay Tong is the man. Not very impressed by his stilted acting.

Lim Kay Tong cast as former PM Lee Kuan Yew in 1965 movie

1965-lim-kay-tong.jpg

SINGAPORE: Veteran actor Lim Kay Tong has been cast as Singapore's former Prime Minister Lee Kuan Yew, in the dramatic thriller 1965, film-makers announced on Wednesday (Oct 8).

Lim said he considers this role "the role of a lifetime", and that he will do the necessary research as he prepares for the role. The 60-year-old said he had "lots of doubts" when he was first approached to play Mr Lee. However, after reading the script, he changed his mind.

He recounted: "I said 'I cannot do it, I do not want to do it and thank you very much'. But as we talked, I thought I had better give the producers a chance, so I said: 'Why don't you send me the script?' So they did. After looking at that, I did not feel so daunted because he is in a way a bookend to the main story, where he frames the timeline.

“The scenes are quite short for Mr Lee Kuan Yew. So I thought, well, with a bit of work, and a bit of research, maybe it's possible. Then I began to look at it positively and say 'Why not just give it a go, because it may be the only chance I'll get'. Once I accepted it, there is no fear, because you are involved, and you want to get it right, and you are preparing as diligently as you can. Hopefully, everything works out."

Lim said he has been prepping for the role by reading materials such as Mr Lee's autobiography and speeches, to "try to get the essence" of the man.

Fucking sellout! And to think that I thought he was one of the better actors around.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Fucking sellout! And to think that I thought he was one of the better actors around.

That's because Sinkie actors generally CMI. Look at Kay Tong's acting in Glen Goei's 'Forever Fever' where he played a mini-mart owner – damn stiff. Have seen in him in several stage productions ... not impressed either.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

That's because Sinkie actors generally CMI. Look at Kay Tong's acting in Glen Goei's 'Forever Fever' where he played a mini-mart owner – damn stiff. Have seen in him in several stage productions ... not impressed either.

Well like they said....in the land of the blind the one eyed jack is king.
Given the shit 'talent' we have here.....LKT is the best among the worst.
Afterall he is still one of the few sinkies with Hollywood experience in his resume....nevermind if they were all supporting supporting bit roles.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
What the fuck is happening why suddenly all the buzz to glorify this oldfart?

Lee Kuan Yew’s 1961 radio broadcasts on merger with Malaya released in new book
Published on Oct 9, 2014 12:00 PM
By Nur Asyiqin Mohamad Salleh

<style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"MS 明朝"; mso-font-charset:78; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:1 134676480 16 0 131072 0;} @font-face {font-family:"Cambria Math"; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:3 0 0 0 1 0;} @font-face {font-family:Calibri; panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-520092929 1073786111 9 0 415 0;} @font-face {font-family:Cambria; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-536870145 1073743103 0 0 415 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:Cambria; mso-ascii-font-family:Cambria; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"MS 明朝"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Cambria; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; font-family:Cambria; mso-ascii-font-family:Cambria; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"MS 明朝"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Cambria; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} @page WordSection1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.WordSection1 {page:WordSection1;} --> </style> The reprint of “The Battle for Merger”, a compilation of speeches made by Mr Lee Kuan Yew in 1961, aims to “provide a reality check” to recent attempts by historians to recast the role played by communists and their supporters on the issue, Deputy Prime Minister Teo Chee Hean said in a speech at the book’s launch at the National Library. -- ST PHOTO: DESMOND FOO

SINGAPORE – Exposing the communist threat and their goal to capture power in self-governing Singapore lies at the heart of 12 radio broadcasts aired in 1961 by then-prime minister Lee Kuan Yew which have been compiled and reissued as a book that was launched on Thursday.

The reprint of “The Battle for Merger”, a compilation of those speeches and originally issued in 1962, aims to “provide a reality check” to recent attempts by historians to recast the role played by communists and their supporters on the issue, Deputy Prime Minister Teo Chee Hean said in a speech at the book’s launch at the National Library.

“They portray the fight as merely a peaceful and democratic disagreement over the type of merger,” he said of the revisionist efforts by some academics and others.

“They ignore the more fundamental agenda of the communists to seize power by subversion and armed revolution.”

Mr Teo, who is Coordinating Minister for National Security and Minister for Home Affairs, pointed out that the Communist Party of Malaya’s (CPM) armed struggle and the Communist

United Front’s (CUF) efforts to destabilise Singapore over the period have been well-documented by various academics and writers.

They include top CPM leaders such as Chin Peng and Fong Chong Pik.

These multiple accounts, Mr Teo pointed out, support a key argument that Mr Lee made in the Battle for Merger speeches over 50 years ago: that there was a communist conspiracy to take power being played out over the merger issue – and which Mr Lee sought to expose in his broadcasts.

The Communists and their supporters opposed the PAP’s vision for merger with Malaya and the concept of Malaysia, fearing their activity would be clamped down on. Thus they tried to capture the PAP and the Singapore Government in July 1961.

Mr Lee began his talks on the subject of merger on 13 Sept 1961, and continued to deliver 12 talks altogether over Radio Singapore up till 9 Oct 1961, writing and delivering each in English, Malay and Mandarin.

The Battle for Merger, comprising the transcripts of these talks, was first published in book form in 1962.

Through these talks, Mr Lee offered a blow-by-blow and first-hand account of the Communists’ power play and their attempts to frustrate merger with Malaya.

In doing so, he helped persuade Singaporeans to support merger.

His efforts paid off. In the merger referendum in September 1962 there was support from 71 per cent of voters for the PAP’s position.

Mr Teo on Thursday described the broadcasts as a powerful account of Singapore’s past, capturing the “flavour and intensity” of the turmoil then.

He recalled how he had heard the talks as a child, and said he was lucky to own a copy of the first edition of the book that belonged to his father.

The reprint also comes as the Government barred from public screening the documentary “To Singapore, With Love” by filmmaker Tan Pin Pin over its one-sided portrayal of CPM members who had condoned violence and subversion in Singapore – a bar Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong defended last Friday.

But officials say the reprint had been planned much earlier.

In his speech, Mr Teo outlined the tense global and regional environment against which the broadcasts took place, and how the communists persisted in their violent attempts even after independence.

Had Singapore fallen under communist rule in the 1960s, he said, Singapore would probably not have survived “as a small communist outcast in South East Asia as the Cold War raged”.

“We should respect the personal conviction and determination of those who held different views then and fought on the side of the communists,” he said.

“But we should, even more, acknowledge and give our respect and appreciation to the Singaporeans who had the courage and wisdom to reject the CPM’s ideology and tactics,” he added.

“Then as now, Singapore has little room to manoeuvre. The wrong decision, and it would have gone the other way, and Singapore would have turned out very differently.”

The reprint contains a fresh four-page foreword by Mr Lee, and an essay by National University of Singapore historian Albert Lau, as well as a timeline of major events and footnotes.

The book, published by the National Archives of Singapore and Straits Times Press, will be available at major bookshops at $32.50 before GST and will also be available at public libraries.

It also comes with a DVD containing recordings of the talks, which can also be accessed at http://www.nas.gov.sg/archivesonline/public/audiovisual_records/TheBattl...

An exhibition to accompany the book is being held at the National Library on Victoria Street until November 30, after which it will travel to four other libraries across the island.

[email protected]

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

1) Shore up his legacy before he kicks the bucket.

2) Spillover good effect politically beneficial for Lee Hsien Loong.

3) Commemorate next year's 50th anniversary of getting kicked out of Malaysia.

4) Teach the young generation to 'be grateful'.

5) Restore investors' confidence.

Good news and public holiday imminent? :wink:

99fi88.jpg

rotiprata

Alfrescian
Loyal
sinkies are well known for their short memories....so regardless of how deep the lky cronyism may be, 10-15 years into the post lky era....sinkies wouldn't give a damn who lky is? :confused:

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
maybe its a sign that the final hour is at hand,quick somebody get the champagne and lets get this party started!!!

[video=youtube;3GwjfUFyY6M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GwjfUFyY6M[/video]