• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Civil Servant Brag To ST About Sending His Mum To JB Nursing Home To Die There

sgnewsalte

Alfrescian
Loyal
Civil Servant Gordon Wong is so proud about dumping his mother in some cheap JB nursing home that he goes on ST to brag about it. :mad: For $600, he can always employ a maid to look after his mom. Afterall if his working wife can look after her parents, why can't he do the same too? With such civil servants like him, no wonder our civil service is so mercenary and heartless. And of coz 154th is doing its usual spin again to try and make such a despicable unfilial act sound palatable in order to save Khaw's skin. :mad: Now see for yourself, does the old lady in the picture looks happy being dumped in JB like a unwanted pet by her children?

http://www.asiaone.com/Health/News/Story/A1Story20090216-122330.html
>> ASIAONE / HEALTH / NEWS / STORY <!-- start story details --> <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="560"><tbody><tr> <td colspan="3" height="7">
blank.gif
</td> </tr> <tr><td><!--tr> <td colspan="3"> </td> </tr-->
</td></tr> <tr><td><!-- ~RENDER PAGE MARKER~ -->
</td></tr> <tr><td><!-- Story With Image Start -->
</td></tr> <tr> <td valign="top" width="350">
20090216.151913_nursinghome.jpg
</td> <td width="5">
blank.gif
</td> <td align="left" valign="top" width="200"> <table> <tbody> <tr> <td height="81">
blank.gif
</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="content_subtitle" align="left"> Mon, Feb 16, 2009
The Straits Times </td> </tr> <tr> <td height="15">
blank.gif
</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="left"> <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody> <tr> <td align="left" valign="top"> </td> <td height="15">
blank.gif
</td> <td align="right" valign="top">
</td> </tr> </tbody> </table> </td> </tr> </tbody> </table> </td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="3"> <!-- TITLE : start -->
JB nursing homes draw some S'poreans
<!-- TITLE : end--> </td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="3" height="15">
blank.gif
</td> </tr> <tr><td><!-- Story With Image End -->
</td></tr> <tr> <td colspan="3" class="bodytext"> <!-- CONTENT : start --> [Top: Leong Mew Peng, 80, a Singaporean at Spring Valley Homecare in Johor Baru.]

By Melissa Sim

WHEN civil servant Gordon Yong, 39, needed to find a nursing home for his mother following her stroke, he found the ones in Singapore too expensive.

They were charging between $1,200 and $1,800 a month - far more than he could afford on his salary of under $4,000, which also supports his three-child family. His working wife also has to look after her parents.

He did the next best thing and got his mother a place in a home in Johor Baru (JB) for $600 a month. This is how Madam Leong Mew Peng, 80, came to live in Spring Valley Homecare, less than half an hour's drive from the Causeway.

Fellow Singaporean Alison Low, 58, checked herself into Spring Valley over two years ago - also for cost reasons.
<table> <tbody> <tr> <td>
nursinghome-ext.jpg
</td> </tr> </tbody> </table> The three-year-old home has 11 Singaporeans, making up one in five residents there. Of the 10 other homes The Straits Times inquired at in JB, eight said they had between one and 10 Singaporeans.
Checks with their kin showed cost savings to be the main draw of these homes.
A plug for these homes came in Parliament on Monday from Health Minister Khaw Boon Wan, who said Singaporeans could save money by using JB nursing homes. For what it costs to board someone in a private nursing home here, 'you can stretch it easily to pay for at least 21/2 months of nursing home care in Johor Baru', he said. The facilities there typically charge between $450 and $1,000 a month, compared to those here which ask for between $1,000 and $4,000.
Mr Khaw said another perk is that JB is 'near enough for relatives to visit'.
But 57-year-old supervisor Mohamed Waris, whose father is at Spring Valley, said he has problems finding a cab to go there. Nonetheless, he makes the journey every two to three weeks.
Those who check out JB homes are also finding some with facilities that are comparable to those here.
Spring Valley, for example, follows Singapore regulations and provides one toilet for every four beds. Its high ceilings and large windows make its rooms airy.
China Healthcare, previously known as Econ Healthcare, will open a 200-bed home in JB within two years, following its 100-bed facility in Kuala Lumpur. Its chairman, Mr Ong Chu Poh, said a home in JB would appeal to Singaporeans due to their familiarity with the town, its proximity to Singapore and the lower fees.
Mr Yong would agree that JB is still the best choice for him now for those reasons. 'I'm just unable to afford the rates here. But I do wish I was able to bring my mother back.'
f/12
[email protected]
</td></tr></tbody></table>

besotted

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wah lau, dump parents in old folks home, some more in crime ridden JB

This bastard is heartless

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Wah lau, dump parents in old folks home, some more in crime ridden JB

This bastard is heartless

Yah lah, on one hand say JB got plenty of crime & on another want to justify it as a cheap place to dump old Sporeans.

Best if ALL Sporeans move to JB & only commute to the city for work :rolleyes:

No need to buy any HDB, water, utilities, etc

banova888

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yah lah, on one hand say JB got plenty of crime & on another want to justify it as a cheap place to dump old Sporeans.

Best if ALL Sporeans move to JB & only commute to the city for work :rolleyes:

No need to buy any HDB, water, utilities, etc

You raised some interesting points but left out one important one. Petrol :eek:

Anyway, I raise your points.

kiwibird7

Alfrescian
Loyal
S'poreans dislike the intrusion of Foreign workers jamming places in Singapore (eg MRT/buses, shopping malls, living in dormitories near landed properties etc).

Likewise, the Johoreans won't be taking so kindly to the old folks from S'pore crowding out their nursing homes over there. No resident of any country would like to see prices and cost of living rise because foreigners come and drive prices upwards.

The PAP Ministers should have had the foresight to see the problems of how the so called 'affordable' costs have spiralled beyond what the CPF can sustain for the old retirees. Or are all their solutions simply KNEE JERK reactions to problems that have been overlooked?

The PAP has been in charge (more than 40 yrs in power), so they only have themselves to blame for screwing things up. Unlike other countries where the current govt can blame the previous incompetent one for screwing things up.

Last edited:

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
This is Sinkie asian value.

That is why i say stay away from sinkie and sinkieland.

silverspoon

Alfrescian
Loyal
most likely the wife and mother cannot get along la..that;s why dump her there.....600 dollar can get a maid already

this kind of people also have.....hope when he is old...his 3 kids can send him to africa...even cheaper...die already can straight away throw to the wild animials there....

brandon66

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's really sad that, after a life of toil and sweat, one has to spend his/her last days in a nursing home, and in foreign land no less. :(

That's why I rather not have kids.

prinzy

Alfrescian
Loyal
sad so sad. I hope his children will do the same to him. As the elders say, i think it is better to feed the cockroaches than having a son like this.

2lanu

Alfrescian
Loyal
If JB is near, I dun see why they cannot use Woodland, Ponggol, Pulau Ubin or even Tekong! And for whatever high cost they mentioned, these are artifically inflated by them! What so difficult to bring them down?

zack123

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wah she look so happy. Also so convenient if she pass away they can lay her to rest in the palm field in back ground....

<!-- start story details --> <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="560"><tbody><tr> <td colspan="3" height="7">
blank.gif
</td> </tr> <tr><td><!--tr> <td colspan="3"> </td> </tr-->
</td></tr> <tr><td><!-- ~RENDER PAGE MARKER~ -->
</td></tr> <tr><td><!-- Story With Image Start -->
</td></tr> <tr> <td valign="top" width="350">
20090216.151913_nursinghome.jpg
</td> <td width="5">
blank.gif
</td> <td align="left" valign="top" width="200"> <table> <tbody> <tr> <td height="81">
blank.gif
</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="content_subtitle" align="left"> Mon, Feb 16, 2009
The Straits Times </td> </tr> <tr> <td height="15">
blank.gif
</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="left"> <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody> <tr> <td align="left" valign="top"> </td> <td height="15">
blank.gif
</td> <td align="right" valign="top">
</td> </tr> </tbody> </table> </td> </tr> </tbody> </table> </td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="3"> <!-- TITLE : start -->

<table> <tbody> <tr> <td>
nursinghome-ext.jpg
</td> </tr> </tbody> </table>
</td></tr></tbody></table>

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You raised some interesting points but left out one important one. Petrol :eek:

Anyway, I raise your points.

Thanks for raising the points:smile:

Don't drive, so didn't include petrol, cigarettes, etc

Some Sporeans should look at developing housing in JB to compete with HDB & have a convenient bus system to Woodlands.

If the PAP want to dump unwanted senior citizens in JB, then Sporeans should be proactive & move out sooner & save on all the extra costs of living in Spore :rolleyes:

pia

Alfrescian
Loyal
sad so sad. I hope his children will do the same to him. As the elders say, i think it is better to feed the cockroaches than having a son like this.

This is a bastard son. Did he wonder if his mother thought of sending him to a "low cost centre" when he was a kid? If he's a civil servant, probably means reasonably educated (acdemically obviously, not morally), she probably didn't. Like I mentioned in pmy previous post, he's in all likelihood, a henpecked idiot who succumbed to his sinkie wife's demands to move the mother out, noting that she's able to look after her own parents in s'pore.

I find a presonal observation that many men in s'pore are a weak lot, unable to fend for thier own parents when confronted by their selfish wives. In this case, don't blame Khaw. He only made a suggestion... this SOB executed it.

Even if he has $300 a month to spend on his mother, she'll be too pleased to settle for less to be able to be with her family. Do parents' dreams for their children end up in nursing homes, let alone a nursing home in a foreign land?

A useless son who's a bad example to his children :oIo:

Pek Kim Lui

Alfrescian
Loyal
I find a presonal observation that many men in s'pore are a weak lot, unable to fend for thier own parents when confronted by their selfish wives. In this case, don't blame Khaw. He only made a suggestion... this SOB executed it.

Even if he has $300 a month to spend on his mother, she'll be too pleased to settle for less to be able to be with her family. Do parents' dreams for their children end up in nursing homes, let alone a nursing home in a foreign land?

For all we know that SOB was the one that gave the suggestion to Khaw.

If the nursing home looks like a 4 star hotel, I got nothing to say. Even so, most parents would prefer to have their love ones nearby.

Honestly speaking die must also die in one's own country! This is not the way to go!

Lestat

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is a bastard son. Did he wonder if his mother thought of sending him to a "low cost centre" when he was a kid? If he's a civil servant, probably means reasonably educated (acdemically obviously, not morally), she probably didn't. Like I mentioned in pmy previous post, he's in all likelihood, a henpecked idiot who succumbed to his sinkie wife's demands to move the mother out, noting that she's able to look after her own parents in s'pore.

I totally agree with your POV. :smile:

scoobyhoo

Alfrescian
Loyal

Agree. Agree.

Merl Haggard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Talented multi-million $ a year Khaw and Gordon Wong; it's also cheaper to perform funeral rites and purchase coffin in JB.

rainnix

Alfrescian
Loyal
Anyone can find out more info about this Gordon Wong? Pictures, scandals etc? If he is immoral in terms of treating his parents, he should be immoral in his work.

Alfrescian
Loyal
Talented multi-million $ a year Khaw and Gordon Wong; it's also cheaper to perform funeral rites and purchase coffin in JB.

I also understand medicine is cheaper in JB. I knew one of my friends bought the same prescribed medicine at JB instead at NUS. Can anyone know of a pharmacy in JB where I can buy my high blood medicine?