• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

║ Serie A Season 2013-14 ║

Ranocchia

Alfrescian
Loyal

Serie A Preview: Roma v Juventus

9 May 2014

449469header.jpg

Roma failed to halt Juventus' charge to the title, but can dent their hopes of securing Serie A's highest points tally on Sunday.

Juve wrapped up a third straight Scudetto last Sunday thanks to Roma's surprise 4-1 reverse against Catania after Rudi Garcia's men had proven worthy title rivals for Antonio Conte's side.

Last weekend's results make Sunday's clash - which has been moved forward three hours after violence in the capital marred the Coppa Italia final - at the Stadio Olimpico a lot less meaningful than it would have been, although Juve still have plenty to play for.

A win for the newly crowned champions over Roma will secure Juve the highest points tally for a Serie A campaign - bettering Inter's haul of 97 in 2006-07.

Sebastian Giovinco spoke in the week about securing 100 points to cap off another impressive season for the club and Conte.

The calming influence of midfielder Andrea Pirlo has been a major factor in Juve's progress under Conte and he feels the success at the club has helped ward off thoughts of retirement.

"My motivation to go on is very strong, simply because I love playing football and having fun on the pitch," the 34-year-old told L'Equipe this week.

"I have always had fun every day on the training field and every weekend during the matches. I believe that is important. I don't feel any tiredness or weakness.

"I am happy at Juventus and I hope to be able to stay for a few more years."

Despite not being able to catch Juventus, Roma have managed to secure the second automatic UEFA Champions League place and sit 13 points clear of Napoli in third.

While Juve won the reverse fixture at a canter in January, as goals from Arturo Vidal, Leonardo Bonucci and Mirko Vucinic helped see off nine-man Roma 3-0, Garcia's side have beaten Juve this season.

Roma ended Juve's Coppa Italia campaign later that month thanks to Gervinho's late winner, with Garcia and his opposite number embroiled in a public spat of late.

When Garcia urged other teams in the league to raise their games against Juventus, Conte labelled Roma as "provincial" and later stated his side's achievements had become "almost expected" in comparison.

Despite their disagreements in the press over recent weeks and Roma's inability to stop Juve defending their title, Garcia is pleased with how his debut season in charge has panned out.

"They (Juve) are accustomed to winning in Italy. We learned a lot this season but need to end the campaign better. Not only do the fans expect more next season, but so do I and the players," he told Sky Sport Italia.

"I will add, Sunday's match must only be a festival of football - for Roma to show they are happy with our season and be proud of what we’ve achieved."

Ranocchia

Alfrescian
Loyal

5 things to know about the Italian league

By DANIELLA MATAR
Associated Press
Posted: Thursday, May. 08, 2014

876-1t1qC1.Em.55.jpeg

MILAN It might be a clash between the top two teams in Serie A on Sunday, but there is little to play for but pride when newly-crowned champion Juventus visits Roma. However, Juventus is still looking to break a few more records this season, while Roma will be out for revenge.

The other end of the table sees a relegation six-pointer between two of the bottom three clubs as Bologna hosts Catania.

Here are five things to know about this weekend's matches:

---

ZANETTI CURTAIN CALL

Inter Milan legend Javier Zanetti will make an emotional final appearance at San Siro on Saturday.

Zanetti has been at Inter for 19 seasons but has confirmed that he will retire from football at the end of the campaign, at the age of 40.

"Yes, of course there will be great emotion inside me," Zanetti said. "But at the same time I think the most important thing is the aim of the team, which is to win the match and be able to reach our objective of Europa League qualification.

"I hope it can be a great party, but first we have to win the game. Afterward there will certainly be a lot of emotion on my part at being able to thank all my fans."

Inter hosts Lazio, knowing that victory would all but guarantee it a spot in the next season's Europa League.

---

JUVE STILL HUNGRY

The main prize may have been won but newly-crowned champion Juventus visits second-place Roma looking to remain on course for other significant objectives.

Juventus won its third successive Serie A without even kicking a ball last weekend thanks to Roma's shock 4-1 defeat at Cagliari.

Antonio Conte's men are now looking to set a new record by breaking the 100-point barrier and they need just four points from their remaining two matches.

"The title was one of our great aims from the start of the season," Juventus defender Giorgio Chiellini said. "It was difficult but we really wanted it.

"Managing to win such an exciting season with record numbers — and we still hope to break some more before the end — gives us great satisfaction."

---

REVENGEFUL ROMA

Roma has little to play for but pride and it will be keen to avenge its humbling defeat to Juventus earlier in the season.

The 3-0 defeat at Juventus Stadium was seen by many as the turning point of the season and Roma is keen to prove there is not such an apparent gulf in class.

"The race is over but it will be a great match," Roma captain Francesco Totti said. "For us playing Juventus is a match apart. We want to show that the Biaconeri aren't so superior to us.

"Juve deservedly won the league, congratulations to them. They have been magnificent all season, we challenged them in the wrong year."

---

NAPOLI FAN WOES

Napoli visits Sampdoria on Sunday, knowing it is likely to be the last time they play in front of fans this season.

The club has been ordered to play two home matches behind closed doors following trouble during and before its Italian Cup victory at the weekend.

The final had to be delayed 40 minutes because of fan unrest in the stadium after three Napoli supporters were shot in the buildup.

The match only went ahead after Napoli captain Marek Hamsik spoke to the ultras.

Napoli beat Fiorentina 3-1.

---

BATTLE FOR SURVIVAL

Bologna hosts Catania on Sunday in a crucial relegation scrap.

Catania is second-to-last in the table, three points below Bologna and four off Chievo Verona, which occupies the final safe position.

Anything but a win for Catania would consign it to the drop, while Bologna is almost as desperate with just one round remaining.

Sassuolo is the only other side not assured of Serie A football next season as it is two points above Bologna.

It hosts Genoa, while Chievo visits Cagliari.

Bottom club Livorno is already relegated.

Ranocchia

Alfrescian
Loyal

Serie A Wrap: Zanetti says goodbye to San Siro, Verona´s Euro charge stunted

10 May 2014

449935header.jpg

Inter beat Lazio 4-1 in Javier Zanetti's San Siro farewell, while Udinese drew 2-2 at Verona in Serie A on Saturday.

Both Inter and Lazio went into the encounter needing points in their respective bids for European qualification, but all eyes were on Zanetti, the most decorated player in Inter's history.

Forty-year-old Zanetti, who is also Argentina's most-capped player with 145 outings, has claimed 16 trophies with Inter since signing from Banfield in 1995, but his 857th showing for the Milan giants had to wait until after half-time.

At first the hosts appeared to be in for a long day as Giuseppe Biava put Lazio into the lead after just two minutes, but the hosts fought back and ended up going into the break with a 3-1 lead thanks to two goals from Rodrigo Palacio and Mauro Icardi's strike.

Zanetti was introduced to a magnificent reception just after half-time and although the visitors created several excellent chances in the second period, Hernanes ended his former team's slender hopes of a late comeback with a stunning effort from range.

Triumph means Inter are almost guaranteed a place in the UEFA Europa League, with defeat for Lazio ending their hopes of a top-six finish.

Verona's own bid for a Europa League place took a major blow after they surrendered a two-goal lead at home to Udinese in Saturday's earlier match.

Luca Toni netted his 20th Serie A goal of the season from the penalty spot in the 14th minute, getting the hosts off to a great start at Stadio Marc'Antonio Bentegodi.

The hosts doubled their lead through Emil Halfredsson eight minutes into the second period, but Antonio Di Natale's wonder strike just two minutes after proved to be Udinese's inspiration.

The Italian forward produced an exquisite touch to bring down a cross, before swivelling and belting an emphatic volley into the roof of the net.

Emmanuel Agyemang-Badu scored the equaliser in second-half stoppage time and although the point does little for 13th-placed Udinese, Verona now require a draw between Torino and Parma on Sunday to keep their top-six hopes alive.

Ranocchia

Alfrescian
Loyal

Serie A Wrap: Chievo condemn trio, Juve set points record

11 May 2014

450205header.jpg

Chievo secured Serie A safety as Catania, Bologna and Livorno were condemned to relegation and Juventus set a new points record.

Dario Dainelli's 72nd-minute strike earned Chievo a 1-0 win over Cagliari and kept Eugenio Corini's men in the Italian top flight after a run of three straight defeats had brought them to the brink of the drop zone.

With just one game to go, the bottom three sides now have an insurmountable gap to close and will all play in the second tier next term.

But it was a day of celebration for champions Juventus, who beat Roma 1-0 to reach 99 points, surpassing Inter's previous record of 97.

Antonio Conte's men left it late, substitute and former Stadio Olimpico favourite Pablo Daniel Osvaldo scoring his first Serie A goal of the season four minutes into stoppage time to ruin Roma's unbeaten home record this term.

There was controversy, too, as Italy defender Giorgio Chiellini appeared to elbow Miralem Pjanic, though referee Carmine Russo did not take any action.

If the authorities decide to look at the incident and find Chiellini guilty, he could fall foul of national coach Cesare Prandelli's rule of not picking players who have suffered disciplinary issues, therefore throwing his FIFA World Cup dreams into disarray.

At the other end of the table, Catania scuppered Bologna's survival chances as both sides were demoted following a 2-1 win for the visitors.

Catania, who beat high-flying Roma last Sunday, led through Fabian Monzon when Gino Peruzzi saw red for a second booking, and Bologna capitalised to level the scores 11 minutes from time through Archimede Morleo.

But Gonzalo Bergessio hit back for the away side just five minutes later and Daniele Paponi's dismissal saw the match finish 10-a-side.

Livorno, winners of the Serie B play-offs last season, completed the relegation picture with a 1-0 home loss to Fiorentina, Miguel Borja's sending off compounding the hosts' misery.

Fellow top-flight newcomers Sassuolo hit four goals for the second game running to beat Genoa 4-2 and confirm their survival.

Franco Brienza fired home a stunning late winner as Atalanta beat Milan 2-1 to dent the latter's bid for European qualification.

Sadly, matters on the field were marred by a banana being thrown onto the pitch in the direction of Milan defender Kevin Constant, an action that was met with sarcastic applause from team-mates Philippe Mexes and Nigel de Jong.

Milan can still claim sixth, which will be enough for a UEFA Europa League spot, as Torino drew 1-1 with Parma in a match that saw both sides finish with 10 men.

Napoli produced one of the performances of the day by putting five past Sampdoria.

Duvan Zapata, Lorenzo Insigne, Jose Callejon and Marek Hamsik were all on target, with Shkodran Mustafi's own goal adding to Sampdoria's woe in a 5-2 loss.

Ranocchia

Alfrescian
Loyal

Delighted Conte coy on future

11 May 2014

450207header.jpg

A delighted Antonio Conte refused to clarify his future after guiding Juventus to a record points total in Serie A with a 1-0 win over Roma.

Pablo Daniel Osvaldo came off the bench to score a last-gasp winner against his former club as Juve moved on to 99 points with a game still to play, two better than the landmark set by Inter in 2006-07.

With a third top-flight title under his belt, Conte has emerged as one of Europe's leading coaches and is likely to attract attention from some of the continent's other top clubs.

But he preferred to focus on the achievement of his players after the victory over Rudi Garcia's second-placed side.

"We certainly have a lot to celebrate, as this is an incredible campaign," he told Sky Sport Italia. "We've beaten Roberto Mancini's Inter record of Serie A points and it will be tough for anyone to match.

"We've beaten our direct rivals on their home turf, a splendid Roma side that kept us alive with the right fear and respect throughout the season. Only a great Juve could have maintained this tempo and we're proud to have done it.

"Juventus are coming off a three-year winning era, which is historic, and I am very proud to be the coach of these splendid players."

When questioned if leaving the club was an option, Conte added: "I repeat, these three years have been fantastic and I asked so much from these players, who gave me everything I wanted.

"These things go in cycles and I've already told the club what I think. We will soon clarify the situation."

Ranocchia

Alfrescian
Loyal

Final game of the Serie A 2013-2014 season

mcER7ne.jpg

Due to this being a Sinkie forum with the majority being Sinkies, as always whenever i post match schedules,
i have to set the time to GMT +8 otherwise you will be confused.

Ranocchia

Alfrescian
Loyal

Conte open to Juventus exit

394634_heroa.jpg

Russell Greaves
May 11, 2014 10:10:00 PM

The Italian has strongly hinted that the current campaign could be his last with the club and revealed he will clarify his future soon

Antonio Conte has admitted he will consider "other projects" after Juventus saw off Roma 1-0 on Sunday.

Pablo Daniel Osvaldo came off the bench to score a last-gasp winner against his former club as Juve moved on to 99 points with a game still to play, two better than the landmark set by Inter in 2006-07.

With a third top-flight title under his belt, Conte has emerged as one of Europe's leading coaches and is likely to attract attention from some of the continent's other top clubs.

He told Sky Sport Italia: "I repeat, these three years have been fantastic and I asked so much from these players, who gave me everything I wanted.

"I generally don’t agree with a sabbatical, but if there was a unity of ideas to leave with great affection and respect, then I would evaluate other projects that intrigue me.

"These things go in cycles and I've already told the club what I think. We will soon clarify the situation."

Conte then turned his focus to celebrating another successful campaign and a victory over a Roma side he holds in the highest regard.

"We certainly have a lot to celebrate, as this is an incredible campaign," he said. "We've beaten Roberto Mancini's Inter record of Serie A points and it will be tough for anyone to match.

"We've beaten our direct rivals on their home turf, a splendid Roma side that kept us alive with the right fear and respect throughout the season. Only a great Juve could have maintained this tempo and we're proud to have done it."

Ranocchia

Alfrescian
Loyal

Mastour in line for AC Milan debut aged 15

400100_heroa.jpg

By Stefan Coerts
May 14, 2014 10:17:12 AM

The promising youngster could feature in this weekend's home game against Sassuolo after joining first-team training on Tuesday

Hachim Mastour is set to add his name to the AC Milan record books as he will become the San Siro side's youngest player ever if he makes his first-team debut in the upcoming Serie A match against Sassuolo.

Milan have confirmed on their official website that the gifted attacker has joined first-team training this week at the tender age of 15 years, 10 month and 28 days old.

The Rossoneri take on Sassuolo at the weekend in their last match of the 2013-14 campaign and Milan suggest on their website that there is a realistic chance Mastour will make the squad for Sunday's game at San Siro.

The Italy Under-16 international joined Milan from Reggiana in the summer of 2012 and is regarded as one of the biggest talents around in the game worldwide.

Paolo Maldini currently holds the record for youngest first-team player, having made his debut aged 16 years and 208 days against Udinese on January 20, 1985.

Other youngsters to have made their first-team debut in recent years include Bryan Cristante (16 years and 9 months) and Mattia De Sciglio (18 years and 11 months).

Ranocchia

Alfrescian
Loyal

Pirlo: I hope Conte stays at Juventus

405524_heroa.jpg

By Peter McVitie
May 15, 2014 4:11:00 PM

The Italy midfielder is hopeful the team and coach can continue their good work together after lifting a third successive Scudetto

Andrea Pirlo hopes coach Antonio Conte will follow him in agreeing a new deal to stay with Juventus.

Juve have been crowned Serie A champions for the third consecutive time under the coach but the 44-year-old has hinted he could leave the club this summer.

Pirlo, though, hopes the former midfielder will, like him, sign a new deal with the Turin club and says his side hope to become the first Italian team to finish with more than 100 points in the league.

"He took us to three league championships in a row and has given us so much," he told Sky Sport Italia. "Hopefully the next game will not be his last.

"At the end of the season he is tired and wants to go on holiday. You have doubts, but I and all the people connected to Juventus hope to continue this adventure together with him.

"My renewal? We have more or less reached an agreement, I hope the announcement is given in a few days.

"One hundred and two points would be a unique achievement, we have this great opportunity and we will not let it escape us."

On Wednesday night, Sevilla lifted the Europa League in the Juventus Stadium after beating Benfica on penalties in the final. And Pirlo spoke of the disappointment of seeing another team win the competition on his side's field after they were eliminated in the semi-final by the Portuguese outfit.

"There is a big regret of not being able to play the final in our stadium, because I think that Juve are stronger than Benfica and Sevilla," he explained. "It was one of our goals after we were knocked out of the Champions League.

"We were not able to reach it but it was still an important step in going a step further next year.

"Besides, it's not easy to win in Europe. Watch PSG and Manchester United. Football is this: you play a lot, but one team wins."

The 34-year-old turned his attention to Italy's World Cup campaign as the competition in Brazil approaches.

"The minimum goal is to go through to the knockout stages, then we'll see, anything can happen.

"Brazil are the favourites, they are a good team, but in football everything is to play for.

"How much of a factor will the climate be? Huge, but this is an important factor for everyone else as well."

Ranocchia

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hamsik commits to Napoli ´project´

16 May 2014

453561header.jpg

Napoli attacker Marek Hamsik said he is staying at the Serie A outfit, despite links with Manchester United and Inter.

The Slovakia international struggled his way through the 2013-14 campaign, enduring a six-month goal drought that he only broke in their 5-2 win over Sampdoria on Sunday.

Hamsik's season was derailed by a serious toe injury, and the 27-year-old said he wanted to repay the fans with another trophy after clinching the Coppa Italia with a 3-1 win over Fiorentina in the Rome final in May.

"I thank the fans for the affection they have always shown me. These have been seven splendid years together and we will continue in future too. I want to repay the people for their faith," Hamsik told Radio Kiss Kiss Napoli.

"I had the first serious injury of my career. These problems are always going to affect performance, but I want to give more to the team.

"I am happy and proud to wear the captain's armband. I will never forget lifting the Coppa Italia trophy for the rest of my life. It made me so proud."

Hamsik went on to call Napoli's UEFA Champions League group-stage exit 'fantastic', and is eyeing domestic glory at the Stadio San Paolo.

"I have always said and will continue say I believe in this project and want to continue so I can win with Napoli," he said.

"It was a great season and a fantastic Champions League campaign, while we must improve in Serie A. I've been here for seven years, the growth process continues and we hope to do even better.

"We really want to win the Scudetto and the club will improve the squad so that we can reach this objective."

Ranocchia

Alfrescian
Loyal

Serie A Preview: Quartet battle for European place, Juve eye century

15 May 2014

453269header.jpg

Torino face a tricky trip to Fiorentina on the final day of the Serie A season with a place in the UEFA Europa League at stake.

Giampiero Ventura's men were on course to secure sixth spot when they led Parma, who are also in the hunt for European qualification, courtesy of Ciro Immobile's first-half strike at Stadio Olimpico last Sunday.

Parma had other ideas, though, and Jonathan Biabiany was on hand to equalise 19 minutes from time as he followed up after Antonio Cassano failed to score from the penalty spot.

Three points would have ensured the Turin outfit took the final spot up for grabs for Italian clubs in next season's Europa League, so the pressure will be on when they face a Fiorentina side already assured of their place in the competition this Sunday.

Torino's cause was not helped by Serie A top scorer Immobile's red card for a second bookable offence against Parma.

The striker, who has scored 22 top-flight goals this season, will sit out Sunday's crunch clash due to suspension and will be sorely missed.

Immobile's spirits were raised this week when he was named in Italy's provisional 30-man squad for the FIFA World Cup along with team-mates Matteo Darmian and Alessio Cerci.

Ventura's charges have hit form at the right time, reeling off seven games without defeat and dropping only four points in the process but they will face a stern test at Stadio Artemio Franchi.

Biabiany's strike ensured Parma remain in contention for a place in Europe and they must fancy their chances of thwarting Torino ahead of their home clash with relegated Livorno, whose fate was sealed when they suffered a 1-0 defeat against Fiorentina last weekend.

The return of Davide Nicola failed to have the desire effect as Livorno were condemned to the drop and they have picked up just one point from their last nine matches in a dismal end to the campaign.

Milan are also in contention to finish a disappointing season on a high note by taking sixth spot, as they are just two points behind Torino ahead of their clash with in-form Sassuolo at San Siro on Sunday.

Verona are still in with a shout of taking the final European spot as they level with Milan on 54 points, but they have an inferior goal difference and face a difficult trip to third-placed Napoli on the final day.

Champions Juventus only need a draw at home to Cagliari to take their record points tally to a century, while second-placed Roma travel to Genoa.

Bologna and Catania were also consigned to the drop last weekend and they will attempt to sign off with victories over Lazio and Atalanta respectively.

Elsewhere, Inter are also on the road at Chievo and Udinese host Sampdoria on Saturday.

Ranocchia

Alfrescian
Loyal

Serie A Preview: Juventus v Cagliari

16 May 2014

453771header.jpg

Juventus will bring the curtain down on another fine domestic campaign by lifting the Serie A trophy against Cagliari on Sunday.

Antonio Conte's charges have already clinched a third straight Scudetto thanks to a dominant showing in the Italian top flight this year, losing just two league games.

Even an impressive campaign from second-placed Roma has not been enough to derail Juve's domestic dominance.

Victory for Roma this weekend would see them gain more points than Juve did in their title-winning season last year - a sign of how unrelenting the Turin club have been as they sit on the verge of surpassing the 100-point mark.

They have already broken the Serie A points record this term and being able to surpass the 100-point mark would go some way to make up for the disappointment of failing to reach the Coppa Italia and UEFA Europa League finals.

It could prove to be Conte's final game in charge, with the former Italy international having hinted at a desire for new challenges as his stock continues to rise.

"There will be clarity over my position at Juventus over the next few days," he told Sky Sport Italia after Sunday's 1-0 win over Roma.

"I generally don't agree with a sabbatical, but if there was a unity of ideas to leave with great affection and respect, then I would evaluate other projects that intrigue me."

Not since Inter won five titles in a row at the end of the last decade have one side been so dominant in Serie A and, even if Cagliari are able to stop Juve reaching a triple-digit points tally, it will change next to nothing in terms of their respective campaigns.

That said, it would represent a major scalp for Ivo Pulga's men after what has been a disappointing season that only saw them make certain of their top-flight status in recent weeks.

Following the return of Pulga as Diego Lopez's replacement in April, Cagliari produced a reasonable response, taking seven points from their first four games, but appear to have eased off of late - losing their last two outings.

Ranocchia

Alfrescian
Loyal

Serie A Preview: Chievo v Inter

16 May 2014

453795header.jpg

There is likely to be something of a party atmosphere when Chievo host Inter on the final day of the Serie A season on Sunday.

Chievo secured their place in Serie A for next season last weekend with a 1-0 win at Cagliari, a result that means there will be nothing riding on the visit of Walter Mazzarri's men.

The home fans will be keen to celebrate the club's survival, while Inter's players - despite having already secured a fifth-placed finish and a return to the UEFA Europa League - may approach the game with a point to prove to the club's hierarchy.

Inter are likely to undergo a major overhaul in the first close-season under owner Erick Thohir, who took over from Massimo Moratti in October last year.

An array of arrivals and departures are expected at San Siro, and the encounter at the Stadio Marc'Antonio Bentegodi could see a number of Inter's team playing for their places next season.

The 18-time Italian champions will hope that Thohir's takeover proves to be a turning point in the club's history, and midfielder Mateo Kovacic has lofty ambitions for the coming years.

"We need to get the Champions League trophy back to the San Siro," Kovacic told Mediaset.

"Inter cannot be happy with fifth place. It was a difficult year for us, but at least an improvement on last season."

Meanwhile, Chievo could also be set for upheaval in the near future, with reports in the Italian media suggesting that coach Eugenio Corini's job is under threat despite successfully guiding the club to survival.

Livorno coach Davide Nicola, whose side have been relegated from the top flight, is considered to be the favourite to take over as Chievo look to avoid a repeat of the struggles they have endured this season.

But much of the immediate focus on Saturday is likely to be on Argentine veteran Javier Zanetti, with the Inter legend making his final appearance before ending his professional career.

Zanetti announced his retirement earlier this month, and the 40-year-old will hope to end an excellent career that has included five Serie A titles and a UEFA Champions League crown on a high.

However, Zanetti's compatriot and Inter's top scorer Rodrigo Palacio, who has 17 Serie A goals to his name this term, is set to miss the trip to Verona due to suspension.

Striker Sergio Pellissier is banned for Chievo, as is midfielder Luca Rigoni.

Ranocchia

Alfrescian
Loyal

Serie A Preview: Milan v Sassuolo

16 May 2014

453799header.jpg

Milan welcome a buoyant Sassuolo to San Siro needing a miracle to secure their place in the UEFA Europa League places this season.

Clarence Seedorf's hopes of guiding Milan to European football look all but lost after they were beaten 2-1 by Atalanta last time out.

Franco Brienza scored deep into injury time on Sunday to snatch three points for the hosts and deal Milan a major blow in their quest for Europe.

Milan must now beat 16th-placed Sassuolo and will likely need both Torino and Parma to lose on the final day of the Serie A campaign - they take on Fiorentina and Livorno respectively.

Their season finale comes amid strong rumours that Seedorf, appointed as Massimiliano Allegri's replacement in January, will be sacked in the close-season despite making a reasonably positive start to his managerial career.

Even qualification for Europe's second-tier club competition is unlikely to do much to strengthen his position but the Dutchman is eager to finish the campaign on a high - whether it proved to be his final match in charge or not.

"We'll be hoping to do well in the last match," he said after the defeat to Atalanta.

"There's some disappointment for the loss and for how we lost. Now we have to wait and see. Our destiny wasn't completely in our hands even before and it's less so now."

Midfielder Kaka added: "We need to win next Sunday for our pride and to close the season well."

While the pressure is on Milan going into their final game of the season, Sassuolo can relax knowing they have already secured their top-flight status.

Eusebio Di Francesco has helped the club to Serie A safety after their first season in the league, having taken 10 points from their last five games, and will look for a repeat of their dramatic 4-3 win over Milan early this year.

If this does prove to be Seedorf's final game in charge, there would be a certain symmetry to it all, as the seven-goal thriller in January was the final straw for Milan in Allegri's reign.

Domenico Berardi scored four times that day at the Stadio Citta del Tricolore and, even if they fail to do the double over Milan, Di Francesco feels their season has already been a success.

"This safety is worth a Scudetto for us, so achieving it a round early is nothing short of miraculous," he said.

Seedorf has no fresh injury concerns and could hand a debut to 15-year-old Hachim Mastour. Should he play, he would edge out Paolo Maldini to become the youngest player to feature for the club.

Ranocchia

Alfrescian
Loyal

May 15, 2014

5 things to know about the Italian league

clarence-seedorf.jpg

Photo: AP AC Milan's coach Clarence Seedorf, of the Netherlands, calls out to his players during a Serie A soccer match between Atalanta and AC Milan in Bergamo, Italy, Sunday, May 11, 2014.

MILAN (AP) — There is little to play for in the Italian league, with Juventus already crowned champion for a third straight year and Livorno, Bologna and Catania relegated to Serie B.

Champions League spots were also decided a while back, with Roma and Napoli joining Juventus in Europe's most prestigious club competition. However, Juventus will be keen to cap a fantastic season by setting new records on Sunday, while Torino, Parma, AC Milan and Hellas Verona are all vying for the final Europa League spot.

Here are five things to know about this weekend's matches:

PIRLO EYES JUVE RECORD

Not content with winning a third straight Italian league title and setting a new Serie A points record, Juventus is eyeing another important marker when it hosts Cagliari in what would be an otherwise meaningless final match of the season.

Victory at home would see Juventus become the first club in Europe's major leagues to earn 102 points in a season, beating the previous best of 100, set by Barcelona and Real Madrid.

"It's an important goal," key playmaker Andrea Pirlo said. "We have the opportunity to reach it and we won't let it escape."

Juventus has won all 18 of its matches at home this season and will be expecting to cap off a fantastic season by extending that perfect run.

CONTE FAREWELL?

There will be a party atmosphere at Juventus Stadium on Sunday, with the presentation of the Serie A trophy before an open-top bus parade through the city.

As well as this year's trophy, Juventus will take with it those from the past two years as well — highlighting its impressive achievement of three straight titles.

However, there will be an underlying air of concern among the fans, with speculation surrounding the future of the coach who won them the trophies.

Antonio Conte has yet to commit to Juventus, sparking fears that the match against Cagliari could also mark his farewell.

"In three years he has led us to win three league titles," Italy and Juventus midfielder Andrea Pirlo said. "I hope it's not our last match with him."

Juventus CEO Giuseppe Marotta says the club will discuss Conte's future next week.

Conte has a year remaining on his contract.

A YOUNG MASTOUR

AC Milan could give 15-year-old Hachim Mastour his debut on Sunday, making him the club's youngest player ever and the fifth youngest in Serie A.

Mastour was promoted to the first team this week and scored in training.

If Mastour plays against Sassuolo, he would eclipse the great Paolo Maldini, who made his debut aged 16 years and 208 days in 1985.

Mastour will be 15 years, 11 months and 3 days.

Amedeo Amadei holds the record after making his debut aged 15 years and 280 days in 1937. Gianni Rivera, Aristide Rossi and Giuseppe Campione were also younger than Mastour.

"I hope for the boy that those responsible are right about him," Rivera said. "It is important to focus on youth, but if Milan uses youngsters more and more you will only see it as time passes."

SEEDORF OUT?

AC Milan still has a slight chance of qualifying for Europe next season, but even if it does, it is unlikely coach Clarence Seedorf will be in charge.

Seedorf signed a two-and-a-half year contract when he replaced Massimiliano Allegri in January and has won 10 out of 21 matches in charge.

"We will decide at the end of the season," Milan President Silvio Berlusconi said. "I am not happy with Milan, like all the fans. The difference is I also put money in."

EUROPA LEAGUE BATTLE

Four teams are fighting for the last Europa League berth, heading into the final match of the season.

Torino is in pole position with 56 points, Parma has 55, while AC Milana and Hellas Verona both have 54.

Victory for Torino at Fiorentina would ensure qualification, while a draw would also suffice if Parma and Milan don't win. Defeat would also send it through if Parma loses at home to already-relegated Livorno and the other two don't win.

Parma needs to beat Livorno and hope that Torino doesn't win in order to qualify, or that Torino loses and the other two fail to win.

Milan will play in Europe next season only if it beats Sassuolo, Torino loses and Parma doesn't win.

Verona can only qualify if Torino loses and both Parma and Milan fail to win.

Ranocchia

Alfrescian
Loyal

Juventus aiming to emulate Barcelona, Madrid & Celtic in breaking 100-point barrier

404605_heroa.jpg

By Francesco Schirru
May 18, 2014 7:20:00 AM

The Bianconeri's dominance in Serie A this season has seen them move to within one point of a magnificent century

Juventus have 99 points and counting. Theirs has been a season to remember, with all-comers being swatted aside by the brilliant Bianconeri. Only Cagliari stand between Antonio Conte's side and a sensational century of points and a 100 per cent home record throughout the entire campaign.

While two major disappointments have been suffered in Europe, Italy just hasn't been able to keep up with the pace of the Turin outfit, and, as long as they don't lose at Juventus Stadium on Sunday, they are set to join a select band of teams who have chalked up 100 points in a European season.

Of course, they have already surpassed the Italian record, overcoming the 97-point season of Inter in 2006-07. That felt particularly good for Juventini, stung by the circumstances which saw their side relegated to Serie B while their biggest enemies were busy securing win after win in a weakened top flight. But now they have a third straight title in the bag, nothing less than three figures will do.

BDmujlL.jpg

Last Sunday's victory over Roma not only saw them pass Inter's Italian record, but also saw them leapfrog Rangers' and Celtic's 2002-03 mark of 97, which saw the Scottish Premier League title remarkably won by a single goal by Alex McLeish's Gers.

And while only two points were awarded for victories before the 1982-83 season in England, the Bianconeri have passed the records of Tottenham's double winners in 1960-61 and an all-conquering Liverpool outfit of 1978-79 even taking three-point wins into account.

However, Conte's side still have four teams ahead of them on the points scale.
They currently sit level with Pep Guardiola's Barcelona team of 2009-10, who recorded 99 points to secure a second successive La Liga crown. Lionel Messi scored 34 goals for a Barca side who actually trailed Real Madrid in the title race going into the final eight rounds of the campaign, but their superior consistency over the entire season proved too much to handle.

Madrid made a fantastic response two years later, with Jose Mourinho's side becoming the first Spanish club to record 100 points in a season on their way to a first league title in four years. Beyond the points tally, Madrid also recorded new highs for goals scored (121), goal difference (+89), away wins (16) and total wins (32) in a Spanish league campaign. While Cristiano Ronaldo fell short of Lionel Messi's Pichichi-winning total of 50 goals, his 46 came as part of a magnificent team effort.

Not to be outdone, Barcelona racked up 100 points of their own the following season, with the late Tito Vilanova and his deputy Jordi Roura ensuring that the coach's health issues did not knock their side off course as they swept their way to the Liga title. Whereas in their 99-point run of three years previous the title race was long and fraught, this time Barca led from the front throughout the campaign, and eventually finished 15 points ahead of arch-rivals Madrid.

But while Juve could well surpass all three of those Spanish returns with a victory over Cagliari, the record set by Celtic in 2001-02 cannot be overcome just yet.

Twelve months before their dramatic last-day title heartbreak, they had run away with the Scottish Premier League crown, registering 103 points on the way to a 38th national championship. A record of 33 wins and just one defeat in 38 games led them to an 18-point margin over second-placed Rangers, while their 18 goals conceded and 94 scored saw them finish with both the best defence and best attack. They also boasted the league's two highest goalscorers, with John Hartson's 19-goal return being bettered only by the 29 of team-mate Henrik Larsson.

Juventus could well be about to carve their name amongst exalted company in a very select list of 100-point seasons. Campaigns like the one they have achieved are few and far between.

Ranocchia

Alfrescian
Loyal

Milito leaving Inter Milan after five years

Tue May 20, 2014 6:11pm BST

r

Inter Milan's Diego Milito celebrates at the end of his Italian Serie A soccer match against Juventus at the Juventus stadium in Turin November 3, 2012. REUTERS/Giorgio Perottino

(Reuters) - Striker Diego Milito is parting ways with Inter Milan after an eventful five years during which he won the treble under their former coach Jose Mourinho and suffered a series of injuries.

The Argentine has not been offered a new contract after a frustrating season and departs with Javier Zanetti, Esteban Cambiasso and Walter Samuel from the triumphant 2010 team.

"The time has come to say goodbye," Milito wrote on his Facebook page. "Unfortunately my time with Inter has reached its end. I have decided to try a new professional adventure."

Milito scored both goals in a 2-0 victory over Bayern Munich in the 2010 Champions League final in a glorious debut season that saw him score 30 goals in all competitions as Inter won Europe's elite club competition, Serie A and the Italian Cup.

However, the 34-year-old has struggled to replicate that form after being struck by a series of injuries.

This season he scored only twice in 17 league appearances but despite an inconsistent campaign he remains a fan favourite for his past exploits.

"I still don’t know what the future holds for me, but I still feel alive and have a burning desire to be an important player again," he added.

"I want to thank everyone who over the years at Inter I shared success and incredible joy with - the club, president Massimo Moratti, all the members of the staff and obviously all my team mates.

"The biggest thanks go to you the fans for all you’ve given me in these five seasons... I will carry you in my heart forever, you’ve been fantastic."

(Reporting by Terry Daley; editing by Josh Reich)