• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

10 fall prey to 'JB Lucky Draw' scam since April

Watto

Alfrescian
Loyal

10 fall prey to 'JB Lucky Draw' scam since April

By Hu Jielan
POSTED: 24 May 2013 1:18 AM

malaysia-police-report.jpg

A Malaysian police report made by a scam victim (Photo/Mediacorp)

SINGAPORE: Some 10 Singaporeans have fallen victim to the 'Johor Bahru Lucky Draw' scam since April 2013.

This is more than the total number of people scammed in the first three months of this year.

Most victims fall prey at the bridge linking Woodlands Customs and JB's City Square.

Scammers would approach the victims, telling them that they have won a lucky draw prize.

They would then ask the victims to withdraw money from their bank account to pay for taxes or administrative fees in collect the prize.

Some would offer victims a ride back to their country, where the victim can make the withdrawal.

'Madam Lee', a victim who lost S$12,000, said: "I told him that I had only a few thousand dollars in my savings account. I told him that I couldn't get any cash advance with my credit card.

"They said that they would only take a look at it, scan the card number, and then return the card to me. But they lied. I was told there wouldn't be any interest charged, that when I withdrew the money, they'd put it back immediately."

The police remind the public to be vigilant of "get-rich-quick" offers and lucky draws that come with payment.

Victims are advised to make a report at the nearest police station in the country where the scam took place.

- CNA/jc