• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

SingNet to cross-carry Barclays Premier League on StarHub platform

Ridgewalkers

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

By Imelda Saad
POSTED: 24 Apr 2013 10:53 PM

Football fans will soon be able to catch the Barclays Premier League (BPL) "live" matches on both SingNet and StarHub platforms.

article-0-192F111A000005DC-743_634x450.jpg

SingTel announced that it has secured the broadcast rights to all 380 Barclays Premier League (BPL) matches for the next three seasons commencing August next year. (TODAY file photo)

SINGAPORE: Football fans will soon be able to catch the Barclays Premier League (BPL) "live" matches on both SingNet and StarHub platforms.

Singapore's Media Development Authority (MDA) has asked Pay-TV retailer SingNet to cross-carry the matches over the next three seasons, starting from 2013/2014.

This means SingNet will have to offer the BPL matches on rival Pay-TV retailer StarHub's platform.

The move follows SingTel's announcement that it has acquired rights to all BPL live matches, commencing August this year, for broadcast on "Mio TV".

Cross-carriage rules, which require pay-TV operators to share exclusive content, came into effect in August 2011.

Under the cross-carriage measure, pay-TV retailers who have acquired any exclusive content on or after 12 March 2010 must widen the distribution of such content by offering it to other subscribers through the set-top boxes of qualified pay-TV retailers.

MDA said this is similar to the arrangement for UEFA Euro 2012, the first piece of exclusive content to fall under the cross-carriage measure.

StarHub had acquired the rights to UEFA Euro 2012 exclusively last year and the 64 matches were cross-carried on the SingNet mioTV platform.

Commenting on the decision, StarHub's head of corporate communications & investor relations, Jeannie Ong, said "We welcome the decision of the Media Development Authority (MDA) to make the Barclays Premier League subject to the cross-carriage measure.

"Singapore viewers are the biggest beneficiaries of this decision and we are excited to be able to bring the BPL to our customers on our reliable network once again."

SingTel said it was "gravely disappointed" with the decision as it disadvantages both consumers and the industry.

Allen Lew, SingTel's country chief officer Singapore, said the company intends to appeal the decision and seek legal recourse if necessary.

He added that the development also means that soccer fans can expect to pay higher prices to watch matches in future.

Mr Lew said: "Once I have customers who are not sitting on my platform, I cannot subsidise them because there's no commercial rationale for me to subsidise them. So I have to raise the price for them.

"Unfortunately because I cannot have differential pricing... Once I raise the price for my competitor's customers, I also have to raise the price for my own customers because the ruling very clearly states: only one uniform price."

Meanwhile, the Minister for Communications and Information Yaacob Ibrahim will give "due consideration" to SingNet's appeal against MDA's direction to have the "live" matches of the Barclays Premier League cross-carried by rival Pay TV retailer StarHub.

SingNet has informed the minister of its intention to appeal against the direction.

In a statement, the ministry said Dr Yaacob will hear representations from both SingNet and the Media Development Authority before making a final decision on the appeal.

- CNA/al

enterprise2

Alfrescian
Loyal

By Imelda Saad

Football fans will soon be able to catch the Barclays Premier League (BPL) "live" matches on both SingNet and StarHub platforms.

article-0-192F111A000005DC-743_634x450.jpg

SingTel announced that it has secured the broadcast rights to all 380 Barclays Premier League (BPL) matches for the next three seasons commencing August next year. (TODAY file photo)

SINGAPORE: Football fans will soon be able to catch the Barclays Premier League (BPL) "live" matches on both SingNet and StarHub platforms.

Singapore's Media Development Authority (MDA) has asked Pay-TV retailer SingNet to cross-carry the matches over the next three seasons, starting from 2013/2014.

This means SingNet will have to offer the BPL matches on rival Pay-TV retailer StarHub's platform.

The move follows SingTel's announcement that it has acquired rights to all BPL live matches, commencing August this year, for broadcast on "Mio TV".

Cross-carriage rules, which require pay-TV operators to share exclusive content, came into effect in August 2011.

Under the cross-carriage measure, pay-TV retailers who have acquired any exclusive content on or after 12 March 2010 must widen the distribution of such content by offering it to other subscribers through the set-top boxes of qualified pay-TV retailers.

MDA said this is similar to the arrangement for UEFA Euro 2012, the first piece of exclusive content to fall under the cross-carriage measure.

StarHub had acquired the rights to UEFA Euro 2012 exclusively last year and the 64 matches were cross-carried on the SingNet mioTV platform.

Commenting on the decision, StarHub's head of corporate communications & investor relations, Jeannie Ong, said "We welcome the decision of the Media Development Authority (MDA) to make the Barclays Premier League subject to the cross-carriage measure.

"Singapore viewers are the biggest beneficiaries of this decision and we are excited to be able to bring the BPL to our customers on our reliable network once again."

SingTel said it was "gravely disappointed" with the decision as it disadvantages both consumers and the industry.

Allen Lew, SingTel's country chief officer Singapore, said the company intends to appeal the decision and seek legal recourse if necessary.

He added that the development also means that soccer fans can expect to pay higher prices to watch matches in future.

Mr Lew said: "Once I have customers who are not sitting on my platform, I cannot subsidise them because there's no commercial rationale for me to subsidise them. So I have to raise the price for them.

"Unfortunately because I cannot have differential pricing... Once I raise the price for my competitor's customers, I also have to raise the price for my own customers because the ruling very clearly states: only one uniform price."

Meanwhile, the Minister for Communications and Information Yaacob Ibrahim will give "due consideration" to SingNet's appeal against MDA's direction to have the "live" matches of the Barclays Premier League cross-carried by rival Pay TV retailer StarHub.

SingNet has informed the minister of its intention to appeal against the direction.

In a statement, the ministry said Dr Yaacob will hear representations from both SingNet and the Media Development Authority before making a final decision on the appeal.

- CNA/al

Amazing it took us 5 years to get back to where the way we were. We sure made a lot of progress!

Glaringly

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset

Competition, Singapore style.

Instead of undercutting price, it goes up. :mad:

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
... the development also means that soccer fans can expect to pay higher prices to watch matches in future.

"Unfortunately because I cannot have differential pricing... Once I raise the price for my competitor's customers, I also have to raise the price for my own customers because the ruling very clearly states: only one uniform price." ...
ah loon, ah jinx n their jingang n cronies ... huat ah! ...

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This wouldn't have happened had the IDA properly done its job and imposed restrictions on overbidding for telecast rights.

This happened under Lui Tuck Yew's watch, back when he was the minister for information.

Now, that idiot is in charge of public transport. Oooh, happy days. :cool:

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Maybe if you hadn't bidded such a high price to secure telecast rights, subscribers wouldn't have to pay higher prices?

enterprise2

Alfrescian
Loyal
It will be interesting to see our much our bid compared to other countries! Want to bet we r paying one of the highest! Thanks IDA, Singtel, Starhub....etc for doing a great job!!

Gigo88

Alfrescian
Loyal
It will be interesting to see our much our bid compared to other countries! Want to bet we r paying one of the highest! Thanks IDA, Singtel, Starhub....etc for doing a great job!!

I think we are one of the highest in Asia, maybe with the exception of HK. Not only for BPL, but also WC, Euro Cup and dunno what other cups?

Sinktel kenna blindside by IDA?

enterprise2

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think we are one of the highest in Asia, maybe with the exception of HK. Not only for BPL, but also WC, Euro Cup and dunno what other cups?

Sinktel kenna blindside by IDA?

The Barclay guys must be laughing all the way to the bank! Thanks IDA, Singtel, Starhub and gang!!!...More vaseline anyone??

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Singtel loses BPL broadcast exclusivity, now threatens to raise prices

• By Imelda Saad

Singapore's Media Development Authority (MDA) has asked pay TV retailer SingNet to cross-carry the matches over the next three seasons, starting from 2013/2014.

This means SingNet will have to offer the BPL matches on rival pay TV retailer StarHub's platform.

The move follows SingTel's announcement that it has acquired rights to all BPL live matches, commencing August this year, for broadcast on "mio TV".

Cross-carriage rules, which require pay TV operators to share exclusive content, came into effect in August 2011.

Under the cross-carriage measure, pay TV retailers who have acquired any exclusive content on or after 12 March 2010 must widen the distribution of such content by offering it to other subscribers through the set-top boxes of qualified pay TV retailers.

StarHub had acquired the rights to UEFA Euro 2012 exclusively last year and the 64 matches were cross-carried on the SingNet mio TV platform.

Meanwhile, the Minister for Communications and Information Yaacob Ibrahim will give "due consideration" to SingNet's appeal against MDA's direction to have the "live" matches of the Barclays Premier League cross-carried by rival pay TV retailer StarHub.

- CNA/al

pyshock

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Singtel loses BPL broadcast exclusivity, now threatens to raise prices

Saw Mr Lew on news last evening; he is not an eloquent speaker.
Was wondering why he kept using "I" when he was speaking for Singtel.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

They are always the "I" & "U" are always paying for the price rise. What can yoU do, when s"I"ngtel increases the prices..all you can say is " I " have to pay more again..damm"I"t!!:biggrin:

Last edited:

shOUTloud

Alfrescian
Loyal

Poor Allen Lew, trying so hard to get Singtel a platform other than leeching us via mobile communications. He screwed us badly with that overbid for EPL and World Cup. Now he is fucked in the arse. Do I care for him and his millions?

Not really.

pyshock

Alfrescian
Loyal

They are always the "I" & "U" are always paying for the price rise. What can yoU do, when s"I"ngtel increases the prices..all you can say is " I " have to pay more again..damm"I"t!!:biggrin:

LOL "I" am not on S"I"ngtel's or Starh"U"b's platform. "I" will continue to watch free live streaming.:biggrin:

Last edited:

cockie

Alfrescian
Loyal

AL is definitely not an eloquent speaker, so is CSK.....
BC actually is a better speaker as compare to both of them.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Eloquency in speech is not a prerequisite for getting into high positions in Singtel.

All you need to do is to be a Familee member.

ChuaSockKoong.jpg

nato33

Alfrescian
Loyal

Anyone else cancelling Mio TV after today's final games?

jw5

Loyal

Anyone else cancelling Mio TV after today's final games?

I'm keeping mine, still got 2 rounds of La Liga matches and Champions League final. :p