• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Just sharing.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Control

Sheila was losing control, fast! Why didn’t she heed her neighbor’s warning about the man who just moved into the neighborhood two weeks ago? Miranda mentioned in a conversation with her that she thought the new man on the block was acting “odd” at night. He would come out of his house and circle it for several times and then walk back in. Living across the street from him, Miranda had watched his “comings and goings” often, for she liked to keep tabs on new people.

“I’d look out for ‘that one.” Miranda said to Sheila as she nibbled on diet bar, one bright autumn day. “Don’t trust him for anything,” as she finished the bar.

“Why, what’s wrong with him? Sheila asked with a hesitant voice. What has he done to make you suspect him?”

“I can’t put my finger on it but he just seems so controlled, so obsessive. Got an uncle like that and he can’t leave anything alone! Why he even checks his car at night—takes him over an hour—making sure it’s alright—that everything is in place. Gives me the “willies!”

Sheila laughed it off that day and thought her old friend was just being hyper. But now she thought, maybe she should have heeded the warning. Now, he was outside, she saw him--doing God knows what and she was all alone!

It was getting dark outside and hard to see what was going on. All she could see out of her living room window was her neighbor, circling her home and scanning all parts of her home while he was doing it…Round in circles he went, never stopping.

Finally he stopped right in front of her door! He waited and listened and was very quiet. Sheila waited behind the front curtains until she could stand the silence no more…

She hollered out loud—“Who are you and what do you want?”

No sound, just heavy breathing…

And then, just eight words, “I’m so lonely, can I talk to you?”

Stunned, she held her breath and then replied, “Sure you can, if you would just stop your pacing and introduce yourself!”

And so it began…a beautiful and loving friendship that would later turn into marriage and all it took was courage and faith in someone different and a bit strange…But, aren’t we all different and strange sometimes?

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Elizabeth and the Need to Escape

Elizabeth had been a good woman all her life. She went to church regularly every Sunday, was a good wife to her husband, Harold and raised two children with love and kindness.

For most of her life she did what was right; but how did she end up in such a life-threatening condition and why was it this time there was no one to help? Harold, for most of his married life, had been there for her when she needed him but with his new job as Human Resource Director at Benning’s Department Store, he was, well, he was never home!

She sat in a room that was created for protection—everyone in the family called it the “hide-away room,” but to Elizabeth it had become the only place where she felt comfortable and safe, away from everyone and everything!

Her husband and children were away for the weekend and she was all alone; a decision she made weeks ago, saying to the family that she just needed some time alone to think and to pray..…She was quickly finding that that decision was made in haste….

It was the dead of winter and her job as secretary to the local newspaper had ended just two weeks ago. She didn’t want to leave but she had to. A male employee was acting peculiar around her, so she marched into the editor’s office weeks ago and resigned her post.

And, so she sat in that lonely room and waited for the inevitable. She knew deep down that soon “he” would be arriving. It was just a matter of time.

Why was it that most of her adult life she knew that something like this would eventually happen? Had she been too friendly with this man? She didn’t think so; but then again, people acted so strange these days…Faintly, she heard the downstairs door open and later footsteps on the staircase.

He was in the house, and there was no escape!

She heard the doorknob to the hide-away room turn and soon he began pushing and knocking at the door.

“Let me in, Elizabeth! I just want to talk with you!

She said nothing; she just sat there shivering with fear, hoping for some kind of miracle….

And then, it happened! The miracle she had been praying for happened and the beautiful thing about it was that the miracle was right inside the room with her and had been there from the very beginning...…She was no longer alone; in fact, she’d never been alone…The Good Shepherd made himself known in spirit and stood at the door, with strength and fierce love; there to protect Elizabeth, one of his sheep.

JeffMillerMY

my parents divorced when I was 13. I thought I had the worst time in my life. I always go for a walk,travel or join any community programs to forget all the pain and try to live my life better.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Home and Tonia

Tonia loved going home after work; at least, she used to. So much had changed in America, especially when Comrade Hilton took charge in 2050. America was not the same and homes were not homes anymore—they were dwellings, used only to keep out the unwanted.

Tonia had an especially difficult day. New guidelines were being enforced at work, and that left little time for individual thinking and recreation. The government had their hand in everything and it seemed like it was just getting worse.

She hoped that she would not be greeted by officers of the “Protect the Home Front.” That always meant a difficult evening. The worst part of all was that no one knew when they would show.

Pleasant Valley was only 10 minutes away from work. She would soon be home. Her children, Jan and Bill, ages 10 and 12 would have supper ready for her. At least, she hoped so, for she was “bone tired.”

As she approached the driveway, her home on 7230 Pleasant Valley looked peaceful but everyone knew these days that looks could be deceiving. She didn’t see any sign of her children but that was nothing to be concerned about. Often they were inside cleaning up the house or making dinner.

Pulling into the garage, something unusual caught her eye…It looked like another car or truck had been in the garage, for there was dirt and grim in the shape of worn tires. The children had access to a second garage door opener and sometimes Jeff, her neighbor, would pull in and check on the children for her…Hopefully, that’s all it was….

She got out of the car, lifted her briefcase from the front seat and proceeded to the garage/home side door. What she saw as she opened the door, confirmed her greatest fear---her children had been replaced with robots that looked just like them but she could tell from their eyes that they were not and she knew that soon she too, would be replaced; for it was 2050 and everything was replaceable….

Her last thought before she passed out, “Home sweet home?

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
My husband, Paul, and I attended the National Religious Broadcasters Convention (NRB) last week in Orlando. It’s a wonderful event with great sessions, keynote speakers, panelists and a large expo hall filled with interesting booths. One of the things I love most is that I always leave my time there with my spiritual batteries recharged. That’s priceless.

For me, NRB is like a big family reunion as I bump into friends and colleagues from the publishing, film, radio and television industries. It’s laughs over meals and short nights of sleep because I sit up late hanging out with dear friends.

On the afternoon of the third long day, we were so tired that we settled on a bench to rest for a while and to do a little people watching. We saw folks walk by, people whose names you’d recognize if I mentioned them.

We noticed executives from radio networks, musicians, actors and leaders from large ministries. We watched folks dressed as Bible characters and historical figures, their colorful costumes giving us a peek into those long-ago days.

And then I noticed something that touched my heart. Heroes of the faith walked by—men and women who have been serving God for decades, some of them for 40, 50 and even 60 years. Men and women whose teaching, writing and radio and television programs have touched my life from the time I was a little girl.

The years have caught up with many of them, as evidenced by their halting footsteps as they walked the long hallways of the convention area and expo.

It hurt me to see how feeble some have become. One lady was there who’d recently buried her husband of 60+ years. Others had visible health issues. Some used a cane or a motorized scooter. But what I loved was that they were still there, and still faithfully serving God.

I want to be like them someday—a woman who has faithfully served God, who didn’t give up when the hardships of life arrived, who kept on keeping on for the tasks which God’s given me to do.

Dear Father, even when my steps are feeble and my health is failing, help me to be faithful to serve You. Help me to use every scrap of the talents You’ve given me and to fulfill every task that You’ve put on my heart. Help me to serve You for the long haul. Amen.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Passover is my favorite Jewish holiday. It involves an exciting story, delicious food, and a downright inspiring message—no matter how long you have suffered, there is hope that redemption and freedom lie ahead. I happen to be Jewish, but this idea is something that people of any faith can connect with and take comfort in.

I had a professor in graduate school who distinguished between two types of freedoms. One was “freedom from…,” meaning liberation from something that holds us back. This could refer to slavery, as it literally does in the Passover story, or personal struggles like addiction, depression or unhealthy relationships.

Read More: Comfort for Passover

The other type of freedom was “freedom for….” This referred to the purpose and opportunity true freedom offers. In the Passover story, the Jews were liberated from slavery for the purpose of being free to follow the laws God would provide. If you were freed from the issues that challenge you, what would you use that freedom for?

I like to reflect on this question throughout my family’s Passover celebration. Here are three ways I feel “freedom for…” this year:

1. Freedom for Family
One of the sweetest moments of the traditional Passover seder meal is when the youngest person at the table asks the Four Questions, giving the adults an opportunity to educate the next generation about the lessons of the holiday. My six-year-old son will ask the questions this year, and I’ll be filled with gratitude that I am free to guide him toward becoming a force for good in the world. Being part of a family means we get to have an impact on those we love.

Read More: One Rabbi's Passover Blessing

2. Freedom for Comfort
There’s a custom during the seder to recline in comfortable chairs. We do this because reclining is a privilege afforded to free people—and making the effort to find physical comfort ensures we never take for granted the pleasure of being at ease in our bodies. It is also a reminder to nurture ourselves throughout the year, to make choices that boost our well-being and health.

3. Freedom for Hope
I have always wondered what it felt like to walk through the parted Red Sea, with Pharaoh’s army bearing down from behind, and a mysterious landscape ahead. The hope and faith the people must have had to put one foot in front of the other in that moment is profound. Freedom is neither easy nor fast. But if we keep our eyes focused on what lies ahead, we have the chance to help those walking beside us keep a positive outlook—and reach the other side together.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Bible Stories About Courage

Courage is a word that is used in variety of ways. For many Christians, courage is a word that brings to mind standing on Biblical principles in the face of great opposition. Others think courage is demonstrated by taking a stance against Biblical principles. Either way, the Bible has plenty to say about what defines courage, which we will see by looking at three Bible stories about courage.

What is the definition of courage?

The word courage is commonly defined as (1): (Noun)”The ability to do something that frightens one.” It originates from Middle English (denoting the heart, as the seat of feelings): from Old French corage, from Latin cor “heart.” Simply stated, this common definition refers to the ability to do something brave out of a motivation from the heart.
What does the Bible teach about courage?

The Bible makes references to courage in several ways:
God approves of good courage: Deuteronomy 31:6-8, 23; Joshua 1:1-18; Joshua 10:25; 1 Chronicles 28:20; 2 Chronicles 19:11; Psalms 27:14; Psalms 31:24

God destroys evil courage: Amos 2:16

God uses believers to instill courage or encourage one another: Deuteronomy 1:38; Deuteronomy 3:28; Acts 28:15; Ephesians 4; Hebrews 10:24

Sometimes believers and non-believers encourage or provoke others to do bad things: Deuteronomy 13:6-8; 2 Samuel 1:14-17; Psalms 64:5’ Proverbs 1:10; Ephesians 6:4
God strengthens the hearts of believers who show good courage: Psalms 27:14; Psalms 31:24

Biblical courage, is the ability to do something brave out of a motivation of the heart. However, Biblical courage that is good always relies upon the supernatural power of God to strengthen and motivate the believer to be courageous (Romans 5:3-5). The following three stories demonstrate Biblical good courage.
Joshua and Caleb

In Numbers 13-14, God told Moses to send a spy from every tribe into the Canaan, also known as the Promised Land, and report back what they found. They were told to report back about the land, the people living there, the cities, and what natural resources are available (Number 13:17-20). After spying out the land they returned and gave their report.

The first group of spies told how the land was bountiful and proved their report by bringing back a large amount of grapes, pomegranates, and figs. However, they then reported that the people were too numerous and powerful and how the walls of their cities were too great to overcome.

Upon hearing this, Caleb from the tribe of Judah, calmed the people and said that they should immediately go up and take the land because they could do it. However, the men who had gone up with him countered by saying they could not do it because the land was so large and the inhabitants were bigger, stronger, and more numerous.

When the people heard this report they responded with crying, complaining, and murmuring all night long against Moses and Aaron for bringing them out of Egypt to die in the wilderness. Upon hearing this, Moses and Aaron fell upon their faces, rent their clothes, and challenged the people, telling them that the land was good and the LORD would give it to them. They continued saying they should not rebel against the LORD. The people responded by saying they were going to stone Moses and Aaron.

At this time the glory of the Lord intervened. He rebuked the people and told them of how He had provided for them, but they had continually rebelled against Him. He then said everyone who was 20 years old and older would die in the wilderness at the hands of their enemies and those under 20 years old would go into the Promised Land with Caleb and Joshua who had trusted the LORD (Deuteronomy 1:35-36).

David and Goliath

The most famous story in the Bible, especially amongst children, is the story of David and Goliath. David is first told of as a shepherd and the youngest of eight boys in 1 Samuel 16 when he was anointed the new King of Israel by Samuel. David’s encounter with Goliath, a giant, is found in 1 Samuel 17. Goliath was a Philistine warrior who was fighting against the Israelites and stood about 18 feet, 6 inches tall. He challenged the Israelites to send a man to fight him saying that if he was defeated, the Philistines would be servants to the Israelites.

One day David’s father sent him to take food to his three oldest brothers who were serving in Saul’s army fighting against the Philistines. David saw how afraid the men were of Goliath and asked who this heathen Philistine was that shamed Israel and defied the armies of the living God.

David’s brothers heard this and became mad at him and told him to go home to tend the sheep. David responded by asking what he had done and if there was not a cause, referring to the importance of the matter that someone do something.

Soon, King Saul heard of David’s words and sent for him. David told Saul he would fight against Goliath, but was told that he was nothing more than a boy. David responded by telling of the wild animals he had killed while tending to the sheep and how he would do the same to the giant. King Saul then agreed to send David to fight. David refused to wear the king’s armor and instead chose to go with nothing but his staff and a sling. David chose five smooth stones from a brook and went up to confront Goliath.

Goliath belittled David and was insulted that the Israelites had sent a small boy to fight. Goliath threatened to kill David and feed him to the birds and animals, but David replied that although Goliath threatened him with a sword and a spear, he was going to fight Goliath in the name of the LORD and the God of the armies of Israel, whom Goliath defiled.

David then took a stone and slang it at the giant using his sling and hit the giant in the forehead. The stone killed the giant and David took the giant’s sword and cut off his head. Upon seeing this, the Philistines fled.

Peter and John

In Acts 3-4 Peter and John went to the temple to pray when they encountered a man at the temple gate who was lame from birth. The man asked them for money, but Peter replied that they had none and added that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth to rise up and walk. The man was immediately healed and began walking and leaping and praising God.

His healing drew a large crowd and Peter began to preach to them about Jesus Christ of Nazareth. He told of how Jesus was crucified, buried, and rose from the dead and challenged them to repent and receive the forgiveness of sins and salvation. Upon hearing this preaching, the religious leaders were upset and put them in jail.

The next day the religious leaders brought Peter and John before them and demanded they explain by what power and in whose name did they do what they did. Peter, being filled with the Holy Ghost, challenged them about why they were upset about the healing. They gave the credit to Jesus Christ for the healing and how salvation was through Him.
After hearing this the religious leaders decided to tell Peter and John not to speak or teach in the name of Jesus.

Peter replied by saying, “Whether it be right in the sight of God to harken unto you more than unto God, judge ye, but we cannot but speak of the things we have heard and seen.” (Acts 4:19-20) After Peter said this, the religious leaders threatened them and let them go. Peter and John returned to their group of friends and rejoiced together and glorified God.

Later, the apostles were again healing and preaching in the name of Jesus when they were taken into custody by the same religious leaders. They were upset that they had told Peter and John not to speak or teach in the name of Jesus and now the whole city was talking about Jesus and His doctrine. Peter once again stood up and said that they would obey God rather than man and continued by accusing them of killing Jesus, who was the Savior.

Upon hearing this, the religious leaders discussed killing them, but instead, decided to beat them and release them. The apostles, once again, rejoiced and praised God because they were counted worthy to suffer for His name.

Conclusion: What can we learn from these three stories about courage?

Caleb and Joshua: No matter how things may look or if we do not know what to do in a situation, we can always have courage because we can trust the LORD’s promises. Those who trust the LORD are blessed, starting with salvation and continuing with overcoming the world (1 John 5:4-5)

David and Goliath: No matter how big an adversary, God empowers us to do all things through the power of Christ (Philippians 4:13). This gives us courage even when it seems like the whole world, including our family, tries to discourage us.

By standing for what is right and just in the name of the LORD, God will enable us to do great things (John 14:12-14).
Peter and John: When we do the work of the Lord and share His Word, people get upset.

Some people will get so upset that they will think they are doing God’s will by persecuting or even killing us (John 16:1-3; 2 Timothy 3:10-12). However, God says that if we have the courage to suffer for Him by doing right with Christ as our example, it is worthy of God’s praise and glorifies Him (1 Peter 18-25).

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“And he shall put his hand upon the head of the burnt-offering; and it shall be accepted for him to make atonement for him.”

Leviticus 1:4

Our Lord's being made “sin for us” is set forth here by the very significant transfer of sin to the bullock, which was made by the elders of the people. The laying of the hand was not a mere touch of contact, for in some other places of Scripture the original word has the meaning of leaning heavily, as in the expression, “thy wrath lieth hard upon me” (Psalm 88:7). Surely this is the very essence and nature of faith, which doth not only bring us into contact with the great Substitute, but teaches us to lean upon him with all the burden of our guilt.

Jehovah made to meet upon the head of the Substitute all the offences of his covenant people, but each one of the chosen is brought personally to ratify this solemn covenant act, when by grace he is enabled by faith to lay his hand upon the head of the “Lamb slain from before the foundation of the world.” Believer, do you remember that rapturous day when you first realized pardon through Jesus the sin-bearer? Can you not make glad confession, and join with the writer in saying, “My soul recalls her day of deliverance with delight.

Laden with guilt and full of fears, I saw my Saviour as my Substitute, and I laid my hand upon him; oh! how timidly at first, but courage grew and confidence was confirmed until I leaned my soul entirely upon him; and now it is my unceasing joy to know that my sins are no longer imputed to me, but laid on him, and like the debts of the wounded traveller, Jesus, like the good Samaritan, has said of all my future sinfulness, ‘Set that to my account.’” Blessed discovery! Eternal solace of a grateful heart!

“My numerous sins transferr'd to him,
Shall never more be found,
Lost in his blood's atoning stream,
Where every crime is drown'd!”

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
2 Chronicles 16 and Psalm 146:3-6

Asa was king of Judah and Baasha was King of Israel. They were fighting with each other. Ben Hadad, the king of Aram, was helping the Israelites. Asa talked with Ben Hadad and offered him money to “change teams” and start helping Judah instead of Israel. Ben Hadad agreed to do so. Once Ben Hadad started helping Judah take over Israelite towns, the Israelites gave up working on their building project. (We can guess they needed to quit building and start protecting their towns.)

At this time a seer named Hanani (“seer” is another name for a prophet) came and talked to King Asa and told him that he had done a foolish thing, trusting in armies instead of trusting in God. Hanani pointed out that God had helped Asa fight against two other mighty armies called the Cushites and the Libyans. The seer said, “Yet when you relied on the Lord, He delivered them into your hand. For the eyes of the Lord range throughout the earth to strengthen those whose hearts are fully committed to Him. You have done a foolish thing, and from now on you will be at war” (2 Chronicles 16:8-9). Asa became very ill, but stubbornly, he refused to go to God for help – he only went to doctors. Two years later, Asa died.

It is easy to be tempted to trust in people (who we can see) rather than in God who we cannot see, but the Bible makes it clear that those who trust God will be blessed.

Relevant Scripture
Psalm 40:4 “Blessed is the one who trusts in the Lord, who does not look to the proud, to those who turn aside to false gods.”

Psalm 146:3-6 “Do not put your trust in princes, in mortal men, who cannot save. When their spirit departs, they return to the ground; on that very day their plans come to nothing. Blessed is he whose help is the God of Jacob, whose hope is in the Lord his God, the Maker of heaven and earth, the sea, and everything in them – the Lord who remains faithful forever.”

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
1 Samuel 17.

This is a familiar story, so if your children have heard it many times, retell it in modern circumstances. For example, Goliath could be a bully who shows up at the park every day and frightens the other children by saying unkind things. David could be a child who has the courage to approach the child’s mother and let her know what is going on.

Who was Goliath?

How did Goliath challenge the Israelites every day?

Why was everyone afraid to fight him?

Who was David?

Why did David think he could take on the giant, when none of the Israelite soldiers were brave enough to fight him?

What did David mean when he said “the armies of the living God”?

What did Saul say to David when David offered to fight the giant?

What was David’s reply?

Was David’s confidence in his own abilities, or in God?

What did David say when Goliath mocked him?

Who won the battle?

What kind of battles do you fight each day?

Can you fight these battles with your own strength?

Who is strong enough to help you win the war against sin?

Key concepts

Israel was at war with their enemies, the Philistines. Instead of both armies fighting, the Philistines suggested the battle be won or lost based on the outcome of one Israelite soldier fighting Goliath. Goliath was a massive Philistine soldier. Day after day the Philistine army sent Goliath out to taunt the Israelites, asking if anyone was willing to fight him. But all of the Israelites were afraid to fight him.

Then one day a younger brother of some of the Israelite soldiers came to the battleground to bring food for his big brothers. When this shepherd boy named David heard Goliath mocking the Israelite army, he began asking questions about what was going on.

David was then brought to see the Israelite king, Saul. David told Saul that he was willing to fight Goliath. Saul questioned whether or not David could fight Goliath, but David explained that he had fought and killed a bear and a lion while he worked as a shepherd. “If God took care of me while I fought the wild animals, He can help me fight Goliath” (1 Samuel 17:37).

Saul offered David his armour (which did not fit) so David took just his slingshot and some stones and headed out to fight the giant. As David approached Goliath the big soldier mocked David. David replied, “You come against me with a sword and spear and javelin, but I come against you in the name of the Lord Almighty, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied. Today the Lord will help me defeat you” (1 Samuel 17:45-46).

David put a stone in his sling and fired it at Goliath, striking him in the forehead. The mighty giant fell to the ground. When the Philistines saw their hero was dead, they all ran away. David trusted in God and God gave him victory.

Every day we have our own battles to fight against temptation. Examples of ways that children can be tempted include disobeying their parents, whining when they don't get their own way, refusing to share or teasing a sibling. Just as Goliath was the enemy of the Israelite army, Satan is our enemy. The Bible says that Satan is like a lion on the prowl, looking for someone to defeat.

If we ask God to help us say, “No!” to temptation, He can give us the same kind of victory He gave David. But if we trust in our own strength, it will be much harder to have the courage to do right instead of wrong.

Relevant Scripture
1 Peter 5:8 “Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.”

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Matthew 14:22-33.

Why were the disciples afraid?

What did Jesus say?

What did Peter do and say?

Was he able to walk on the water?

When did he start to sink?

When are you tempted to trust in yourself instead of God?

Jesus’ disciples were out in a boat during the night when a storm came up. The big waves were hitting the boat and the strong winds were pushing it farther from shore. The disciples were scared because of the dreadful storm, but then something scared them even more: they saw someone coming to them, walking on the water. They did not know who or what it was so they cried out in fear.

Jesus called back, “Take courage. It is I. Don’t be afraid” (Matthew 14:27). Peter then called out to Jesus, “Lord, if it’s You, tell me to come to You on the water” (Matthew 14:28). Jesus told him to come. At first Peter could walk on the water, but then he looked around and saw the wild wind and the waves and got scared and started to sink.

Jesus didn’t let Peter drown; instead He reached out and caught Peter. Then Jesus looked at Peter and asked him why he had doubted. When Jesus and Peter climbed into the boat together, the wind and the waves died down and the disciples worshipped Jesus saying, “You are the Son of God” (Matthew 14:32).

Peter was able to walk on water until he stopped trusting Jesus and became afraid. In our own lives there are times when we are tempted to do the same thing. When we forget that God is always with us and we become frightened by the situation we are in (dark rooms, unknown situations) or something we see (dogs or bees), we are like Peter. When we see or hear things that scare us, we need to remember to pray and to trust God.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Acts 27:13-26.

Paul was being held prisoner because he was telling people about Jesus. It was decided that Paul would take a journey on a ship, from Caesarea to Rome where he was to be put on trial. Paul was to take the trip on a big ship, along with other prisoners and the sailors. After they had gone a short distance, the weather did not seem good for travelling and Paul advised the ship’s crew to spend the winter in a town called Crete. They did not listen to Paul, but sailed on.

A storm the strength of a hurricane came along. The wind was so powerful that the sailors passed ropes around the ship to keep it from breaking apart. The raging water and winds continued for so long that many men on the ship gave up hope of ever being rescued or surviving. Despite the fact that the storm kept up, Paul told the people on the ship to keep up their courage and have faith that God would rescue them. Paul said this because an angel had visited Paul during the night and told him that he would stand trial in Rome.

On the fourteenth night of the storm, (two weeks after it began!), the sailors finally sensed the ship was approaching land. They had come upon an island. Although the ship was wrecked, all the people remained safe. God had rescued them, just as the angel had foretold.

The word courage is part of the word “encourage.” The word courage is also part of the word “discourage.” We can encourage others by telling them that God cares for us. We can get discouraged ourselves when we stop trusting God and think about how frightening the situation we are in seems.

We can discourage others by talking about the things they fear or teasing them, instead of encouraging them to trust God and reminding them of His love for us. The Bible tells us that we can be confident that God cares for us.

Relevant Scripture
Psalm 121:1-8 “I lift up my eyes to the hills – where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth. He will not let your foot slip – He who watches over you will not slumber; indeed, He who watches over Israel will neither slumber nor sleep.

The Lord watches over you – the Lord is your shade at your right hand; the sun will not harm you by day, nor the moon by night. The Lord will keep you from all harm – He will watch over your life; the Lord will watch over your coming and going both now and forevermore.”

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Is Hate Ever Acceptable?

"Here are six things God hates, and one more that he loathes with a passion."1

So what are the six-plus-one things that God hates?
eyes that are arrogant,
a tongue that lies,
hands that murder the innocent,
a heart that hatches evil plots,
feet that race down a wicked track,
a mouth that lies under oath,
a troublemaker in the family.2

The fact is that God hates all evil because it is diametrically opposed to his nature which is perfect holiness. Another reason God hates evil is because it is destructive to those whom God loves: us!

Furthermore, we too are to hate evil; that is, the actions of evil people. As God's Word instructs his people, "Hate evil, love good; maintain justice in the courts."3 In other words we are to love the things God loves and hate the things God hates—naturally, for the right, not selfish motives. What is more, if God didn't hate evil, he wouldn't be God and he wouldn't be good. And if you and I don't hate evil, we can be sure that we don't love righteousness.

Suggested prayer: "Dear God, please help me to become more and more God-like in my daily living and hate all evil, and never be guilty of committing the seven things that you loathe and all other evil practices. Thank you for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully, in Jesus' name, amen."

Psalm23

Alfrescian
Loyal
Is Hate Ever Acceptable?

"Here are six things God hates, and one more that he loathes with a passion."1

So what are the six-plus-one things that God hates?
eyes that are arrogant,
a tongue that lies,
hands that murder the innocent,
a heart that hatches evil plots,
feet that race down a wicked track,
a mouth that lies under oath,
a troublemaker in the family.2

The fact is that God hates all evil because it is diametrically opposed to his nature which is perfect holiness. Another reason God hates evil is because it is destructive to those whom God loves: us!

Furthermore, we too are to hate evil; that is, the actions of evil people. As God's Word instructs his people, "Hate evil, love good; maintain justice in the courts."3 In other words we are to love the things God loves and hate the things God hates—naturally, for the right, not selfish motives. What is more, if God didn't hate evil, he wouldn't be God and he wouldn't be good. And if you and I don't hate evil, we can be sure that we don't love righteousness.

Suggested prayer: "Dear God, please help me to become more and more God-like in my daily living and hate all evil, and never be guilty of committing the seven things that you loathe and all other evil practices. Thank you for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully, in Jesus' name, amen."

This is absolutely true! Our behaviour and conduct are completely diagonally in opposition with what God has commanded. In Genesis 6:6 we read that God felt so sorry to create human and regretted it. This, I believe, is a big mistake God has made, and this statement may cause concern for Christians and could mock by non-Christians. Why? God is supposed to be all-knowing and all-powerful. So why he made mistake. Yes. God made mistake by created you and me. And He said sorry. But God's standard is so high. A word of 'sorry' meant nothing to Him. For the mistake He made, God got to sacrifice his life on the cross. He paid a terrible price for the mistake and all because of you and me! And by paying this price, He is able to fix the mistake because all believers will be made righteous and we will know no evil when we are fully redeemed.

God Bless.

Psalm23

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
You, too, Can Be Successful

"Where there is no vision, the people perish."1

"David Levenson has written a book titled, The Seasons of a Man's Life. In examination of the factors that contribute to the development, growth, and success of people, he discovered three primary factors that seem to be essential to success. The first is a great vision; a driving dream that moves and motivates you to do something [worthwhile] with your life. Those who give themselves to the fulfillment of something worthwhile experience a great sense of accomplishment.

"The second thing common to the successful people he studied was that they had each found a teacher who could instruct and help them along the way. Not only do we need a vision, we need some folks who have had visions before us, who can walk beside us and point the way.

"There was another commonality among these successful people. They each had a deeply personal and significant relationship with at least one other person, someone who would support them in accomplishing their dreams. These were the folks who would walk with them through the difficult times, even when it seemed as though the dream would never come true. In short, they had a friend."2

We don't have to be famous to be successful … all we need is a vision, a good teacher, and a faithful, supporting friend. To this I would add that our vision needs to be in harmony with and a vital part of our God-given life purpose.

Suggested prayer: "Dear God, please help me to know what my God-given life purpose is and a realistic goal to work towards fulfilling that purpose. Give me a clear vision of what you want me to be and do, a good teacher to show me how to do it, and at least one trusted and faithful friend to support and encourage me. Thank you for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully, in Jesus' name, amen."

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
“And thou saidst, I will surely do thee good.”

Genesis 32:12

When Jacob was on the other side of the brook Jabbok, and Esau was coming with armed men, he earnestly sought God's protection, and as a master reason he pleaded, “And thou saidst, I will surely do thee good.” Oh, the force of that plea! He was holding God to his word—“Thou saidst.”

The attribute of God's faithfulness is a splendid horn of the altar to lay hold upon; but the promise, which has in it the attribute and something more, is a yet mightier holdfast—“Thou saidst, I will surely do thee good.” And has he said, and shall he not do it? “Let God be true, and every man a liar.” Shall not he be true? Shall he not keep his word? Shall not every word that cometh out of his lips stand fast and be fulfilled?

Solomon, at the opening of the temple, used this same mighty plea. He pleaded with God to remember the word which he had spoken to his father David, and to bless that place. When a man gives a promissory note, his honour is engaged; he signs his hand, and he must discharge it when the due time comes, or else he loses credit. It shall never be said that God dishonours his bills. The credit of the Most High never was impeached, and never shall be. He is punctual to the moment: he never is before his time, but he never is behind it.

Search God's word through, and compare it with the experience of God's people, and you shall find the two tally from the first to the last. Many a hoary patriarch has said with Joshua, “Not one thing hath failed of all the good things which the Lord your God spake concerning you; all are come to pass.” If you have a divine promise, you need not plead it with an “if,” you may urge it with certainty.

The Lord meant to fulfil the promise, or he would not have given it. God does not give his words merely to quiet us, and to keep us hopeful for awhile with the intention of putting us off at last; but when he speaks, it is because he means to do as he has said

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
It Matters

. . . work with a smile on your face
. . . you’re really serving God—Ephesians 6:5-8

How do you think about work, about your work? Is it awesome? Drudgery? A calling? A means to an end? Separate from your faith? An expression of your faith?

God designed us, built us, for work (Genesis 2:15). Work is his gift, not his punishment, nor even a necessary evil. It’s how we’re brought into how he’s blessing and helping his sons and daughters (Ephesians 4:28). You see, God provides his blessings and help . . . through people . . . through us.

The blessing of a house, for example, is given by God, but through the people who build it; who assist in its purchase, like the realtor and the banker; who make and sell the furnishings; who maintain it; and even those who insure the house against its loss. All this seemingly secular work becomes sacred when it’s done (1) to love and serve God and his purposes, and (2) to love and serve God’s sons and daughters.

It may not seem like it sometimes—especially with supply chains as long and complex as they are today—but it does. There’s no menial or meaningless work as long as it helps someone else in a positive way.

It’s in this, in being part of God’s blessing and helping others, that we find our purpose and meaning (Matthew 20:26-28). It’s also how we find joy. Our King, Jesus Christ, teaches us this: “You’re far happier giving than getting” (Acts 20:33-35; John 15:11-15 MSG). Contrary to what our culture teaches, we’re happier exhausting ourselves for the good of others—putting their needs before our own.

Okay, so what do we do?

Who are you serving? Who are you blessing with your work? How might God view it? Spend a few moments in prayer, asking these questions . . . and listening . . . listening for the Holy Spirit.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Where's the Scent?

"The Lord disciplines those he loves … for our good, that we may share in his holiness. No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it."1

Earl Nightingale told how on one National Secretaries Day he gave his secretary flowers and she remarked how beautiful they were. She also said that she couldn't understand why they didn't have any scent.

He informed her that the flowers came from a hothouse and explained that because flowers raised in this type of environment have everything done for them, they don't have to attract insects to pollinate them. As a result, they lose their scent. In the same way fruit raised in a hothouse, because it doesn't need to attract insects to scatter its seeds, doesn't taste as good as fruit grown in its natural environment.

It's similar to the child who wanted to help a butterfly out of its cocoon by putting a slit in it and, in so doing caused it to die. He didn't realize that the struggle to get out of the cocoon is needed to strengthen the butterfly's wings, which enables it to fly.

When people do too much for us or overprotect us, especially in our early developmental years, they can do serious harm to us. And even in adulthood it's the problems and difficulties we have that strengthen us, build out character, and teach us wisdom, understanding, and compassion—if we let them—and enable us to "fly." This is why God disciplines those whom he loves by allowing us to go through difficult times. The same principle applies to us if and when we want the government to do for us that which we are capable of doing for ourselves.

Suggested prayer: "Dear God, please help me to yield to your discipline and to see in all the struggles of life that you are wanting me to 'grow in faith and love and every grace, more of your salvation know and seek more earnestly your face.' Thank you for hearing and answering my prayer. In Jesus' name, Amen."

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Courage Input

"But encourage one another daily, as long as it is called Today, so that none of you may be hardened by sin's deceitfulness."1

"Dr. Alfred Adler, the great psychologist, had an experience when he was a young boy. He got off to a bad start learning arithmetic, so his teacher became convinced that Adler was stupid when it came to mathematics. The teacher told his parents that the boy was dumb, and also told them not to expect much from him. His parents were convinced that the teacher's evaluation was correct.

"Therefore, Adler passively accepted the assessment that they had made of his abilities. And his grades in math proved that they were correct. However, one day he had a sudden flash of insight and thought he saw how to work a problem the teacher had put on the board that none of the other pupils could solve. He raised his hand and announced that he would like to do the problem. The students, and even the teacher, laughed at this.

He became indignant. He strode to the blackboard and solved the problem perfectly much to everyone's amazement. And at that moment he realized that he could understand mathematics. He had been handed an unreal, negative self-evaluation, and he had believed it and performed on the basis of that assessment.

"Many of us have done the very same thing. Someone has told us that our abilities are limited, or that our dreams are unreachable. We have accepted that without question, and we go through life unhappy and unfulfilled. We become estranged from ourselves simply because we believe what others people have told us about ourselves."2

Every one of us—young and old alike—needs encouragement. To encourage someone is to put courage into them. To discourage is to take courage out of them. It costs nothing to put courage into another … to speak a kind word … to let them know you appreciate them … to tell them you believe in them … that you admire them … to thank them and so on.

So, today, make a point of putting courage into your spouse … your children … your boss … your employees … and the clerk at the local store. Go out of your way to do it. And in blessing others you will be blessed yourself.

Suggested prayer: "Dear God, thank you that you love, believe in, and encourage me. Please use me to encourage and put courage into my loved ones and the people you bring into my life today. Thank you for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully, in Jesus' name, amen.

beensetfree

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
The Rest Stop

spend a lot of time traveling for my job. When driving long
distances, I have found that the rest stops optimize my time,
because I can do what I need to do and be quickly back on my way.

On one particular day recently though, that was not exactly the
case. It was a sort of morning that I will never
forget.

The rest area was perfect, easy on and off the freeway, with
restrooms very close to parking and the coffee machine was right
by the restroom.

When I went into the restroom, I noticed an older woman washing
up over the sink basin, she seemed to be struggling just a bit.
I said nothing, just tried to mind my business. She began to
walk out of the restroom just as I was washing my hands. She
appeared to be somewhat distressed while walking and I saw that
both of her lower limbs were swollen, mottled and a deep purple
color.

Still I tried to mind my business; however, as I watched her
struggle toward her vehicle, I felt an overwhelming compassion
come over me. I began to pray for her as I watched her struggle.

Tears were welling up within me and I felt as if God was telling
me that he deeply loved her. I also felt I was supposed to let
her know that; but still, I tried to mind my business.

I returned to my vehicle and proceeded back toward the freeway.
I then knew that as I was so busy minding my own business; I was
forgetting God's business. We are called to be His vessels, not
self serving vessels; called to share His love in everything we do.

It was about a mile down the freeway before I found an exit to
turn back around. I prayed to God that he would give me another
chance. I prayed that if it was His will for me to speak to
that woman; that she would still be there when I returned; that
He would give me the words to say to her.

When I arrived; the woman was still there. She was sitting in
the passenger seat of her van with the door propped open. As I
approached the vehicle I was somewhat nervous, but I knew that
God would guide my steps.

I startled her a bit when I walked up and placed my hand on her
shoulder. I introduced myself and told her that I believed that
God had wanted me to give her a message.

He wanted me to tell her that He loved her very much and if she
would just turn to Him that He would carry her burden.

As I looked into her eyes, they were filled with tears.
She kept saying "Thank you, Thank you".

I then told her that though I did not know if she was ill, that
God wanted her to trust Him to restore her health.

I then asked her to pardon the intrusion, but that I felt so
strongly that I was supposed to deliver this message that I had
to return after leaving the rest area. She said that she had
seen me leave earlier so she knew that I had returned.

As I turned to leave she reached out with both hands to grab mine;
like a baby grabbing for his mother, and she said with tear
filled eyes....THANK YOU.

I said "No, thank God, that He's a God of second chances."

This was a simple moment, a minor distraction in my schedule;
but, oh, how I was blessed. My reluctant obedience; my
disobedience, was used for God's glory. First of all, because I
had left, then returned, I think that woman believed what I told
her.

And secondly, it taught me that even in the sinful nature in me,
God can work things for His glory. His will will be done.
I'm just thankful I didn't miss out on being His vessel this time