• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

LKY: Without PAP Singapore is Finished!

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Important to have Div I team in Government

To vote anything but top quality into office could lead to, among others, job losses and falling property prices, Mr Lee added. -- ST PHOTO: MUGILAN RAJASEGERAN

SINGAPOREANS who vote opposition just for the sake of it were warned by Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew that they were risking their own fortunes.

Using a sports analogy, he reiterated the importance of ensuring a 'Division 1 team' was voted into Government.

Speaking at a National Day dinner yesterday in his Tanjong Pagar GRC, he said: 'You vote in a Div 3 Government instead of a Div 1 Government, the whole economy will subside within three, four years. Finished.'

To vote anything but top quality into office could lead to, among others, job losses and falling property prices, he added. 'We will be worse than our neighbours because our neighbours have oil and gas, palm oil and many other things...We have none of these.'

He also warned about how money politics in some countries had bled talent from ruling parties there.

Singapore had avoided this situation, he said, because it had an 'above board' Government which chose MPs carefully.

'With each election, the quality of the MPs...is renewed, and we have a leadership that is able to match the rising standards of the population.'

It was all these factors and risks, he said, that those calling for more opposition did not understand.

'They say: 'Oh let's have different parties change and be in charge of Government.' Is it that simple?

'We know that Singapore wants opposition to check the PAP. We'll find a way to have more voices inside the assembly, but not at the risk of voting in a Div 2 or 3 Government.'

Mr Lee, a founder of the People's Action Party, saved for last his thoughts on its future: 'If ever the PAP goes corrupt, weak, it's finished. You will have to look for a new team, and a new party. That will be very difficult. So just watch and make sure nothing goes wrong with the PAP.'

pia

Alfrescian
Loyal
So they're admiting they are only Div 1 standard, not Premier League? ;-)

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
trulysingapore

Today, 03:03 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Once again, Lee Kuan Yew tries to spread the falsehood that anything but their government would be of division 3 calibre and that in three, four years the whole economy would be finished. Didn't he also blame Chen Shui Bian's government for bringing down the Taiwan economy? Chen Shui Bian ruled for eight years. Is Taiwan's economy finished? Is Taiwan facing job losses more than us? Obviously not.

And is falling property prices bad like LKY painted it to be? Is he saying that rising property prices is good? If property prices continue to rise like they are now, sooner or later HDB flats will become so expensive that even an entire lifetime of working won't be enough to pay for it.

He sprouted nonsense like us not having any oil, gas or palm oil. Does Hong Kong have those? Does Korea have those? Those Taiwan have those? Yet all three countries have prosperity as well as freedom!

He demonised other countries' money politics. But what about our own multi-million dollar salary ministers? If this is not money politics what is it?

So what if our government is 'above board'. What is the difference between taking money above board and taking money under board? Still taking money isn't it?

What bloody renewal is he talking about when he is still around after all these years?

What do you mean match rising standards of population? More like rising prices of homes, food, petrol, ERP, transport and everything.

He labels those who calls for more opposition as simple and who didn't understand. Of course is not so simple. You need to get rid of the old man first and that is the most difficult of them all.

Corruption is a matter of definition, like whether you take money above board or under board. But yet the country is not finished. Why? Because it is the people like you and me who carries the country on our shoulders. It is we ourselves that we have to trust, not the PAP.

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Mollybegood

Today, 03:19 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"'If ever the PAP goes corrupt, weak, it's finished. You will have to look for a new team, and a new party. That will be very difficult. So just watch and make sure nothing goes wrong with the PAP.' "

I respect MM Lee very much but recently he seems to be espousing stranger and stranger things.

"If ever the PAP goes corrupt, weak, it's finished." - How would one know it would be finished? This scenario has not occured in Singapore before so on what basis does MM Lee say this? Having said that, any weak government would indeed be finished in a matter of time so that is like not saying anything at all.

"You will have to look for a new team, and a new party." - Yes that is if the previous scenario was true, that the PAP is finished if it was corrupt and weak. But if that was the case, what would happen to Singapore in the meantime? At the rate it is going, the way they are suppressing 'new parties' from emerging, that is also like not saying anything at all.

"That will be very difficult." - This also not saying anything at all. Of course it will be difficult the way election boundaries are redrawn every time there is an election and the way the PAP gerrymanders each time.

"So just watch and make sure nothing goes wrong with the PAP." - Now I wonder who he is talking to??? Can the man-in-the-street really do anything to make sure 'nothing goes wrong with the PAP'??? How to make sure nothing goes wrong with the PAP? By writing forum letters? By asking questions that do not get answered? How when the judiciary and the legislature are all controlled, even the President's office? So this statement is also saying nothing at all.

So what is MM Lee really trying to say?

I respect him very much but recently he has been not saying anything at all.

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
10) smokescreen on August 14th, 2008 3.27 pm

The govt in the 60s up to early 80s was division 1.
LKY just cannot face the fact that his govt has dropped to division 3.
This is what happens when there is no competition and your 82 PAP MPs had it too easy.
Show me any govt that is div 1 and their star player, i.e. the PM who needs so many around to prop him up.
LKY’s selection process is also flawed and still thinks that he has the best talent.
The clever ones will never sign up with his PAP govt, not when they know this govt loves to probe every orifice.
The truth is there is enough talent in Singapore to form a div 1 team

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
11) Dr Syed Alwi on August 14th, 2008 3.47 pm

Dear People,

Tell me - who is going to volunteer and step forward to be some kind of Opposition ? Not me - I have family issues. So I do not know where the MM is going to find alternate voices to put into Parliament.

Ours is a depoliticised society where people avoid politics……..

Hope

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wow,MM Lee is asking sinkies to play GOD.Help PAP stay ion power forever.

"Mr Lee, a founder of the People's Action Party, saved for last his thoughts on its future: 'If ever the PAP goes corrupt, weak, it's finished. You will have to look for a new team, and a new party. That will be very difficult. So just watch and make sure nothing goes wrong with the PAP.'"

Got such thing meh?I dont think so,I think his brain is not wroking well,that is why.

This is a classic sympton of an old but aged 85 years old man running a country.

Frankiestine

Alfrescian
Loyal
Of late they have been coming out and reiterating to the public on good governance, this is clear sign that they are getting cold feet with the public discontent over their inaction so all the price increase...

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal

To vote anything but top quality into office could lead to, among others, job losses and falling property prices, Mr Lee added. -- ST PHOTO: MUGILAN RAJASEGERAN

SINGAPOREANS who vote opposition just for the sake of it were warned by Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew that they were risking their own fortunes.
Pab, traces of McCarthyism emerging.

A

Alu862

of course there is talent to form a division 1 oppo govt. Except that at the present stage, with SDP's childish behaviour, WP's silence, SDA's "do they exist" status, NSP "who are you" status, and RP's "ready to fight but with what" attitude, the opposition is hard in any position. Neither is the ruling party.

ALL PARTIES HAVE FAILED SINGAPOREANS.

peasantJUDGE

Alfrescian
Loyal

Using a sports analogy, he reiterated the importance of ensuring a 'Division 1 team' was voted into Government.

Speaking at a National Day dinner yesterday in his Tanjong Pagar GRC, he said: 'You vote in a Div 3 Government instead of a Div 1 Government, the whole economy will subside within three, four years. Finished.'

To vote anything but top quality into office could lead to, among others, job losses and falling property prices, he added. 'We will be worse than our neighbours because our neighbours have oil and gas, palm oil and many other things...We have none of these.'

He also warned about how money politics in some countries had bled talent from ruling parties there.

Singapore had avoided this situation, he said, because it had an 'above board' Government which chose MPs carefully.

'With each election, the quality of the MPs...is renewed, and we have a leadership that is able to match the rising standards of the population.'

It was all these factors and risks, he said, that those calling for more opposition did not understand.

'They say: 'Oh let's have different parties change and be in charge of Government.' Is it that simple?

'We know that Singapore wants opposition to check the PAP. We'll find a way to have more voices inside the assembly, but not at the risk of voting in a Div 2 or 3 Government.'

Mr Lee, a founder of the People's Action Party, saved for last his thoughts on its future: 'If ever the PAP goes corrupt, weak, it's finished. You will have to look for a new team, and a new party. That will be very difficult. So just watch and make sure nothing goes wrong with the PAP.'

If I remember correctly, Singapore under the LKY-PAP government also experienced job losses and falling property prices.

I dont remember seeing 100% employment, or ever-escalating property prices each and every year throughout the 43 years that LKY-PAP had been in government??

So, what is he talking about?

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
... SINGAPOREANS who vote opposition just for the sake of it were warned by Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew that they were risking their own fortunes ...

this old man clearly forgotten he don't need 82 in a 84 seats Parliament to form up the Government. i say this: "Singaporeans take heed, without competition, the so called "top notch" MPs will end up like dodos. you know what are dodos? good" :biggrin:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
After this one, I can't wait for LHL's NDP Rally this Sunday:biggrin:
Bro, I have gone thru his NDP speeches and except for the Mee Siam Mai Hum caper, the others are dry, bland and below average even for a convocation ceremony in a junior collage. Nothing stands out.

Old Man despite his tyrannical ways used the deliver speeches that carried explosive, out of the box and highly imaginative speeches. I remember the old folks would have tears of joy listening to him.

This is one fruit that fell far away from the tree. I wait anxiously.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
this old man clearly forgotten he don't need 82 in a 84 seats Parliament to form up the Government. i say this: "Singaporeans take heed, without competition, the so called "top notch" MPs will end up like dodos. you know what are dodos? good" :biggrin:

After Cheng Bock and SK Tan, the rest are Dodos. Highlight for the year - revelation that Duxton Plain has street walkers.

During Cheng Bock and SK's time, the supporting cast at the various ministries during parliamentary question time would be shivering. These guys would go to the guts in double quick time.

A generation of Singaporeans who could not get into our local "Ivy League" owe Cheng Bock the God of Ama Keng big time for the rule change on CPF funds for education.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
If I remember correctly, Singapore under the LKY-PAP government also experienced job losses and falling property prices.

I dont remember seeing 100% employment, or ever-escalating property prices each and every year throughout the 43 years that LKY-PAP had been in government??

So, what is he talking about?
Bro, you are right - recall 84/85. Malaysian Grads from NUS/NTU released from their 2 yr bond as no work available for Singapore. Employment in the classified on a good day had 2 or 3 openings. Fresh Engineers drawing $500 given pickup but must also tompang supervisor.

HakkaThaileen

Alfrescian
Loyal
"...Without PAP Singapore is Finished!

Without Singapore PAP is also Finished!!"

Yaa... Without them, the world would go on as usual, the sun would continue to rise..