• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

South Korea toolan Japan see "Gangnam Style" no up

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Japan's indifference to 'Gangnam Style' riles S Korea

ENTERTAINMENT <time datetime="2012-10-24T06:50:17+09:00" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-size: 10px; vertical-align: baseline; background-color: transparent; font-family: Verdana, Arial, sans-serif; text-transform: uppercase; background-position: initial initial; background-repeat: initial initial; ">OCT. 24, 2012 - 06:50AM JST</time>

photo_1350966637947-2-0.jpg

SEOUL —
While South Korean rapper Psy’s “Gangnam Style” has taken the world by storm, it has largely fallen flat in Japan—an anomaly viewed with grave suspicion by some in the singer’s home country.

Korean K-pop music is huge in Japan, but for one reason or another Japanese music fans have remained relatively immune to the seductive powers of Psy and his horse-riding dance.

In South Korea, there has been speculation that a bitter territorial dispute over contested islands may have caused Japanese fans to shun the song.

While the number has topped the UK charts and currently sits at number two on the U.S. Billboard ranking, it has only scraped into the top 30 of the Japanese iTunes chart.

To make matters worse, various Japanese music blogs have suggested that the video’s success on YouTube—530 million views and counting—was down to South Koreans using automated viewing programs known as “bots.”

Some even started playfully referring to the song as “F5 Style”—a reference to the keyboard key used to refresh the window of an Internet browser.

On Monday, the Korean Wave Research Institute (KWRI)—a non-profit body established in 2010 to “aggressively” promote Korean popular culture around the globe—hit back.

Denouncing the “conspiracy theories” of YouTube chart manipulation, KWRI president Han Koo-Hyun said the “outrageous” Japanese argument was “tantamount to doubting a world record in an Olympics marathon.”

Skepticism about the song’s worldwide popularity on YouTube “should be viewed as a primary school kid’s jealousy and envy”, Han said in a press release.

Not content with defending the success of “Gangnam Style,” Han launched a vitriolic attack on the only Japanese entry in YouTube’s chart of the 30 all-time, most-viewed videos.

Currently ranked 29th with more than 237 million views, the video shows a young Japanese woman engaging in the popular Internet meme activity of dropping some mentos candy in a bottle of diet coke so that it sprays soda everywhere.

Mocking what he described as the “most grotesque and preposterous content” on the entire chart, Han said it was “another lowly example showing the video-related preference of the Japanese.”

Several reasons have been suggested for “Gangnam Style’s” lack of success in Japan, including the fact that Psy didn’t follow the path chosen by most K-pop stars of releasing a Japanese-language version.

© 2012 AFP

hokkien

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wcLNteez3c4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It makes a difference if it is a she:biggrin:

shOUTloud

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think South Korea has a small man mentality. If they are successful, then successful loh. Why the need for vindication by the Japs?

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I find the Gangnam style stupid and the I find the dance moves stupid etc,,,,even the Singer admitted he was surprised by the popularity as the song have no meaning,,so I guess there are more suckers in the world with bad taste than I imagined,,guess the japs have more sense

kryonlight

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Gangnam Style should be renamed as Gangnam PigSY.

Basically a big fat pig running around to some junk noise marketed as music.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
My thoughts.

Historical reasons, Japs do not like Koreans. They look down on every Asian races.
That is why Japan is stagnant today. Their elites still live in 1980 days.

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
My thoughts.

Historical reasons, Japs do not like Koreans. They look down on every Asian races.

Historically everyone looked down on Koreans. They were just mountain people without much culture.

If not for the recent economic boom and the K pop craze they will still be emulating the Japanese in every way.

NoelVermillion

Alfrescian
Loyal
My thoughts.

Nothing to do with that at all.

K-dramas are quite well-received by the Japanese aunties and youths, so it is not an issue of being anti-Korean.

Rather, the Japanese shows have more crazier stuff than this horse-riding Psy. :p

dredd

Alfrescian
Loyal
I find the Gangnam style stupid and the I find the dance moves stupid etc,,,,even the Singer admitted he was surprised by the popularity as the song have no meaning,,so I guess there are more suckers in the world with bad taste than I imagined,,guess the japs have more sense

Gangnam style dance stupid? Not when Chris Gayle did it. Really cool.

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Agree.. I don't know what the fark about this sudden craze on this silly Gangnam style dance.. Really iritating.. Reminds me of the equally idiotic Macarena dance craze back in the mid 90s..

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Agree.. I don't know what the fark about this sudden craze on this silly Gangnam style dance.. Really iritating.. Reminds me of the equally idiotic Macarena dance craze back in the mid 90s..

gotta give it to the koreans for creating a worldwide hit, no matter how stupid and hilarious the video is. it was meant to poke fun at south korean elite lifestyles in the gungnam area, and it took a life of its own. now there are parody copies from all over the world, from south america to sweden, thailand to timbuktu. even high school and college bands all over the u.s. are jumping on the bandwagon. at halftime in football games, i get to see at least one performance of gungnam style by an entire band, including cheerleaders. even the u.s. armed forces are getting into the act. it's going wild across all units. talked to a soldier, and he said it's a relief valve. there's so much pent up seriousness and uncertainty with the current economic and political situation plus war in afghanistan and fear of terrorist strikes that any global phenomenon to laugh out loud, relax and let loose is sorely welcomed! :biggrin:

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
gotta give it to the koreans for creating a worldwide hit, no matter how stupid and hilarious the video is. it was meant to poke fun at south korean elite lifestyles in the gungnam area, and it took a life of its own. now there are parody copies from all over the world, from south america to sweden, thailand to timbuktu. even high school and college bands all over the u.s. are jumping on the bandwagon. at halftime in football games, i get to see at least one performance of gungnam style by an entire band, including cheerleaders. even the u.s. armed forces are getting into the act. it's going wild across all units. talked to a soldier, and he said it's a relief valve. there's so much pent up seriousness and uncertainty with the current economic and political situation plus war in afghanistan and fear of terrorist strikes that any global phenomenon to laugh out loud, relax and let loose is sorely welcomed! :biggrin:

Maybe Sinkies should do a dance video too.. The infamous NTUC Upturn The Downturn song can be remixed into a catchy dance track by any good local DJ.. Can be a worldwide hit..

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Maybe Sinkies should do a dance video too.. The infamous NTUC Upturn The Downturn song can be remixed into a catchy dance track by any good local DJ.. Can be a worldwide hit..

won't hold my breath on it. sinkies have no talent and are totally uncreative. even sun ho could not cut it on the world stage with all that money she spent greasing black hip hoppers. she doesn't cum across as genuine, unique, entertaining and funny. epic fail. :rolleyes: