• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Foxconn hires underaged workers in China factory to make iPhones

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Foxconn says underage workers used in China plant

r

TAIPEI | Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:54am BST

(Reuters) - Foxconn Technology Group, the world's largest contract electronics maker, has acknowledged hiring teenagers as young as 14 in a Chinese factory, in breach of national law, in a case that raises further questions over its student intern program.

Labour rights activists in China have accused Foxconn and other big employers in China of using student interns as a cheap source of labour for production lines where it is more difficult to attract young adult workers to lower paid jobs.

Foxconn, the trading name of Taiwan's Hon Hai Precision Industry, said it had found some interns at a plant in Yantai, in northeastern Shandong province, were under the legal working age of 16. It did not say how many were underage.

"Our investigation has shown that the interns in question, who ranged in age from 14 to 16, had worked in that campus for approximately three weeks," it said in a statement on Tuesday.

"This is not only a violation of China's labour law, it is also a violation of Foxconn policy and immediate steps have been taken to return the interns in question to their educational institutions," it said.

Foxconn is Apple Inc's largest manufacturing partner, and also makes products for Dell Inc, Sony Corp and Hewlett-Packard Co among its other clients. It said the Yantai plant does not make Apple products.

Foxconn made the announcement after investigating Chinese media reports of underage interns among its China workforce of 1.2 million. It said it had found no evidence of similar violations at any of its other plants in China.

Foxconn said it would work with local government to bar the schools involved in the Yantai case from the intern program unless shown to be compliant with labour law and company policy.

"However, we recognize that full responsibility for these violations rests with our company and we have apologized to each of the students for our role in this action," the firm said.

Foxconn and Apple have been forced to improve working conditions at Chinese factories that make most of the world's iPads and iPhones after a series of well-publicised suicides in 2010 and reports of labour abuses, such as excessive overtime, threw a spotlight on conditions inside the plants.

Last month, a riot broke out at a Foxconn plant assembling iPhones in the northern city of Taiyuan over living conditions inside Foxconn's on-site dormitories for migrant workers.

In response to the scrutiny, Foxconn plans to cut overtime to less than nine hours a week from the current 20.

It defended its intern program on Tuesday, saying they made up only 2.7 percent of its workforce in China. Internships could be long-term or short-term, carried out in cooperation with vocational schools and other educational institutions.

The average internship lasted about three-and-a-half months, it said.

(Reporting by Taipei bureau; Writing by Mark Bendeich; Editing by Paul Tait)

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
..........................Foxconn is Apple Inc's largest manufacturing partner, and also makes products for Dell Inc, Sony Corp and Hewlett-Packard Co among its other clients. It said the Yantai plant does not make Apple products...................................

How else is the World's Factory to maintain its competitve edge?

Cheers!

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
In Spore when it is the school holidays the kids hang around malls or go for enrichment classes.

What do the chinese kids in China do if they have free time:confused:

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
In Spore when it is the school holidays the kids hang around malls or go for enrichment classes.

What do the chinese kids in China do if they have free time:confused:

Sg kids are super fortunate. School holidays for kids I've come across in the west, they try to get summer jobs at fast food outlets, Wal-Mart, cinemas (as ushers, ticketing clerks), or other stores. Sometime ago, my niece and nephew in Sg were going to Hokkaido for school hols!!! Christ, I couldn't believe that, even I wou;dn't dream of going to a place as expensive like Jepun. My jaw dropped further when they told me they'd prefer to go to LA (Disneyland) or Europe. Guess Sg is a rich place.

Cheers!

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Once upon a time students in sinkieland could find work at factory for 4 bucks an hour during school hols. Packing and carrying stuff. Save up and get a walkman and the latest Air jordans before the semester starts. Nowadays these lobangs no longer exist.

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
Once upon a time students in sinkieland could find work at factory for 4 bucks an hour during school hols. Packing and carrying stuff. Save up and get a walkman and the latest Air jordans before the semester starts. Nowadays these lobangs no longer exist.

Indeed, the greed of businesses knows no bounds. Government collections and business profits have soared as a percentage of GDP, while the proportion of household income has sunk to new lows. Small wonder new demand has to be created by pulling out the red carpet for willing serfs.

wMulew

Alfrescian
Loyal
Christ, I couldn't believe that, even I wou;dn't dream of going to a place as expensive like Jepun. My jaw dropped further when they told me they'd prefer to go to LA (Disneyland) or Europe. Guess Sg is a rich place.
Loser opposition supporters will tell you they are very poor can only afford 1 trip to Japan a year. They are unappreciative of how lucky they are that's why PAP is losing more votes.

wikiphile

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Loser opposition supporters will tell you they are very poor can only afford 1 trip to Japan a year. They are unappreciative of how lucky they are that's why PAP is losing more votes.

or why i zapped you again Doc

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Sg kids are super fortunate. School holidays for kids I've come across in the west, they try to get summer jobs at fast food outlets, Wal-Mart, cinemas (as ushers, ticketing clerks), or other stores. Sometime ago, my niece and nephew in Sg were going to Hokkaido for school hols!!! Christ, I couldn't believe that, even I wou;dn't dream of going to a place as expensive like Jepun. My jaw dropped further when they told me they'd prefer to go to LA (Disneyland) or Europe. Guess Sg is a rich place.

Cheers!

Kids nowadays are indeed fortunate to have parents willing to spend $$$ on them. I doubt that they fully appreciate these experiences when they experience them so young.

I have to agree that LA is more fun & Europe is less so:smile:

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
What's wrong with hiring underage kid ? In some country kids wanted to help out their family burden . apple is kind enough to give them job :wink:

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

$4 an hour? Air Jordan so i gather it the early 90s. if u get paid $4/h then, i sad to inform u that u got conned by the towkay. small factory assmebly line already paying $5.50 to those waiting for o level result. even an inexperience golf caddy get $30 for carrying a golf bag for 18 holes which last ard 4hours. if work for MNC type factory, it ard $800-$1000 per mth plus cpf with full employee benefits. with OT, can bring home $1500 per month. even data entry paid ard $6/h in the 90s.

i abit sad for the current teenagers, meet a couple at a logistic company doing stuffing of container at $6/h. receiving the same pay as what i received as a data entry clerk 20yr ago.:(

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
$4 an hour? Air Jordan so i gather it the early 90s. if u get paid $4/h then, i sad to inform u that u got conned by the towkay. small factory assmebly line already paying $5.50 to those waiting for o level result. even an inexperience golf caddy get $30 for carrying a golf bag for 18 holes which last ard 4hours. if work for MNC type factory, it ard $800-$1000 per mth plus cpf with full employee benefits. with OT, can bring home $1500 per month. even data entry paid ard $6/h in the 90s.

i abit sad for the current teenagers, meet a couple at a logistic company doing stuffing of container at $6/h. receiving the same pay as what i received as a data entry clerk 20yr ago.:(

Not assembly.. just packing and carrying for outbound shipment. Brainless repetitive tasks that let me chit chat with the ah bengs. back then I was happy like bird I landed a temp job which earned $4/hr .. No factory would have hired a 15/16 year old as an assembly line worker.

Golf? I heard you needed to know people in the clubs for that..

But seriously, I look at the pampered young sinkies today and shake my head. Some of them think they should get paid just for showing up at work!!

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Not assembly.. just packing and carrying for outbound shipment. Brainless repetitive tasks that let me chit chat with the ah bengs. back then I was happy like bird I landed a temp job which earned $4/hr .. No factory would have hired a 15/16 year old as an assembly line worker.

Golf? I heard you needed to know people in the clubs for that..

But seriously, I look at the pampered young sinkies today and shake my head. Some of them think they should get paid just for showing up at work!!

many factories do take in students during school holidays, those days MOM not so strict and SME type only paid daily wages. i not BS u as i did work at during my school holidays. getting $5.50 or $6 an hour for screwing a few screws or solder into the pcp board. totally brainless and can know msian ipoh girls who themselves only 18-19yo. those were happy days and earn more than friends who work for $2.80 @ McD.

but MNC type such as panasonic or philips only hired 16 and above.

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Nothing wrong. FOXconn dont force the children to work.
Children get paid? One willing to pay and another willing to work. That market force.
Only stupid PRC boycott JAPAN product now they out of job. Factory close until further news.
It will make matter work. China supplier/vendor and worker are the biggest looser.
Japan can ramp up production in other country for country outside China.

Eg. If I willing to pay $5/hour for student on school holiday in SG. And student willing to work. What wrong??

lianbeng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
lianbeng noted in china kids as young as 9 are already trained to be pick pocket experts liao. :biggrin: professionals are developed from very young!

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
Internships for 14 year olds? At assembly lines?

Clearly management has ethical issues flouting the legal working age in China. That's what you get when businesses push the boundaries of cheaper, better, faster! Only gets cheaper with child labour masquarading as interns!

Last edited: