• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Integration Council - we must change our mindsets.....

kopiuncle

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
SINGAPORE: Changing mindsets, breaking down cliques, and reducing negative tension seen in the media between locals and new immigrants were some challenges raised by the People's Association Integration Council at its first work-plan session on Saturday.

The Council was formed in July, to give greater focus and strategic direction in integrating Singapore's new immigrants.

Having a buddy system for neighbours comprising new immigrants and local Singaporeans was among suggestions raised by the Integration Council to reduce cliques in the community.

Associate Professor Fatimah Lateef, advisor, People's Association Integration Council, said: "Humans, by nature, actually want to clique together according to their similarities. So you'll find sometimes the Chinese may clique together, the Indians may clique together because it gives them comfort and security. To break that clique, you have to make them comfortable."

Other ideas include highlighting good examples of new immigrants and locals in the media, recruiting new citizens as volunteers, and having heritage activities.

Over the next six months, the Integration Council will hold a series of meetings to discuss how to develop the suggestions raised at this work plan seminar into more concrete plans. .....

kopiuncle

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
we will have to try very hard...as long as the economy grows....enough food on the table...enough jobs,enough homes, enough money....good.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
SINGAPORE:........................................Over the next six months, the Integration Council will hold a series of meetings to discuss how to develop the suggestions raised at this work plan seminar into more concrete plans. .....

Intergration Council???????

Why must Singaporeans wait for instructions from the gahmen? Why don't you guys just simply invite a foreigner (from work, club, whatever) home for a meal or drinks? When I was in USA, a couple of yanks invited me to their homes for family reunion over Thanksgivings and they were all very warm and welcoming - without receiving instructions from their gov't.

Cheers!

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Intergration Council???????

Why must Singaporeans wait for instructions from the gahmen? Why don't you guys just simply invite a foreigner (from work, club, whatever) home for a meal or drinks? When I was in USA, a couple of yanks invited me to their homes for family reunion over Thanksgivings and they were all very warm and welcoming - without receiving instructions from their gov't.

Cheers!

I have mentioned, the anger is not towards the foreigners, I am sure we have invited our foreign friends to our homes for a meal & get to know each other. I had in the past. The anger is towards the 'MIW's' who through their pursuit of greed, open the floodgates & let in a 'deluge of FT's'.

To deflect the blame away from them, in which they are clever in doing so, they blame us & we need to learn to integrate the foreigners. When our three meals & our roofs over are heads are being TAKEN away from us...how do one expect us to integrate them?, who do we blame..it is obvious, the people of a political party that begins with a "P" and ends with a "P", who formulated such policies with mandate given by a 60% majority!.

At this rate we are going, SINgaporeans will disINTEGRATE!!

Last edited:

kopiuncle

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Uncle got no problems with foreigners. I've invited many to my humble homes.When I go overseas, they host me in their humble homes too. Where got problems at all. Singaporeans are actually very noble, gracious and friendly people. But there is a limit to everything. So please don't blame us and accuse us of being unfriendly and ungracious. We are nice kampung folks with simple deeds.We welcome our friends from other countries.But in everything, there is a limit, a boundary, a certain amount of restraint and control.Please don't push the blame on poor you and me.

First appeal: Singaporeans must accept and integrate. Second appeal: Foreigners are needed and they should be welcomed. Third appeal: We must learn to accept and integrate mutually. So we must have an integration council.

Do we have kampung integration councils in the past? Singaporeans are easily integrated type.No need to force us lah. But the fault lines will be deeper and sharper if things get out of control. If Singaporeans feel threatened and their jobs and homes become difficult.If economy is bad and down, things will not be easy not only for foreigners but also for our own people.

Please think carefully.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have mentioned, the anger is not towards the foreigners,..................................At this rate we are going, SINgaporeans will disINTEGRATE!!

I returned to Sg about two years ago to work. It's been over ten years since I was away and my cousin who lives in Aljunied told me about the Ah Tiongs cycling on walkways and not observing the street regulations was disturbing, well, I drove through there quite often since, and its gotten worse. Some accident is waiting to happen and I hope I won't be involved. The crowds are getting to a point of being unbearable and pedestrians and cyclists do give a hoot about traffic laws. I have always viewed Singapore as an orderly society - this situation is getting way out of hand. Before integration, these Ah Tiongs need to be educated and made to understand and follow the rules of Sg society. Who wants to integrate with barbarians? As for the gov't's policy, they will need to backtrack and rectify with a minimum wage (for minimum dignified living) for menial work so as to depend less on Ah Tiongs. Staying on the current track isn't going to help.

Cheers!

LeMans2011

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is that simple - PAP is never wrong, if you think PAP is wrong, you need to change your mindsets.

And 60.1% actually believe in this :oIo:

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
.................. Singaporeans are actually very noble, gracious and friendly people. ..............

Hi Uncle, agree with you on this. Most Singaporeans are actually nice and will be accomodating to outsiders, but with the torrential influx, they are overwhelmed. This chin-chai-ness will not last for forever and with the current rate of immigrant inflow, there will be a breaking point. The policy makers do not have to line up at piblic food-courts, squeeze in public transport, crowd in malls; until they themselves face these daily, they only look at the bottom line figures.

Cheers!

kopiuncle

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I still find FTs cycling without rules.Many times kena ting ting and sometimes no ting ting and I have to avoid them. No rules. But I sense there is a change of mindset and behaviour as these FTs stay longer.They learn fast and they are adapting to our way and our rules.Less cyclists now and less anyhow cycle. But they still us the pedestrain path and some without any rules. bu they are changing.

The littering is still wide spread. The dirtiest place is around garbage bins. I think we should stop providing garbage bills like Japan. You keep your litter and bring home to discharge. Our Keep Singapore Clean campaigns worked on us old folks and old Singaporeans.But for the newly arrived FTs, littering is part of their daily life. So who is going to change the mindset?

Integration Councils...good luck!

jw5

Loyal
I still find FTs cycling without rules.Many times kena ting ting and sometimes no ting ting and I have to avoid them. No rules. But I sense there is a change of mindset and behaviour as these FTs stay longer.They learn fast and they are adapting to our way and our rules.Less cyclists now and less anyhow cycle. But they still us the pedestrain path and some without any rules. bu they are changing.

Ring ring Irene Ng ring ring!!!

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hi Uncle, agree with you on this. Most Singaporeans are actually nice and will be accomodating to outsiders, but with the torrential influx, they are overwhelmed. This chin-chai-ness will not last for forever and with the current rate of immigrant inflow, there will be a breaking point. The policy makers do not have to line up at piblic food-courts, squeeze in public transport, crowd in malls; until they themselves face these daily, they only look at the bottom line figures.

Cheers!

We lost the plot. many years ago, due to I am tired of saying " YOU KNOW WHO", we used to be a warm, friendly, easy going people..where our homes, are opened to our neighbours, whether they are Malays, Indians, Eurasians, Chinese & others... I remember when i was young I was invited to my Indian Neighbour house for Deepavali, my Malay ones for Hari Raya, even my Singh neighbour would invite us for food & drinks on their festive occasions, & we would reciprocate..there was no this xenophobia !!