• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Staying In Batam

Platini

Alfrescian
Loyal
Have been travelling to Batam quite often,e living standard there is much more easier than here.

Example a house with 2 rooms cost ard $18K-23k,a 2nd car cost ard $10k n e petrol there is ard 90 cents per litre.You can get a full meal under $2 if not too choosy.

Any bro living there or planning to?

Pls add some words :smile:

punter888

Alfrescian
Loyal
so cheap?No wonder ah lau go buy house using their cpf payout,should be ok to stay in with so many mina ard.I don't mind getting a 2nd wife there :biggrin:

Platini

Alfrescian
Loyal
Batam have an 'unsafe place' name branded but it's ok if u r street smart n dnt be hero to hang ard those unsafe zone in weird hrs!

alot sg kakis hav build a 2nd family there for yrs n their negative feedback are stoppage of electricity n water for a short while is normal there :eek:

jus a lay back place to relax:cool:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If you plan to visit Spore regularly its going to be costly because PAP gov't going to keep on increasing the ferry surcharge/tax/etc.

They can't do it to the buses going to Malaysia because theres no centralised bus station.

nicolewong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Batam has too many "distractions" and somehow attacts "bad elements".

If you like the remoteness of the Batam and cheap way of life, there are plentiful of islands in the area. These islands do not have the "bad elements" described earlier.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
If you like the remoteness of the Batam and cheap way of life, there are plentiful of islands in the area. These islands do not have the "bad elements" described earlier.

Why are they referred to as "bad elements" when they bring some much joy, pleasure and an ego boost to so many Singapore men?:wink:

ANDYSIAO14

Alfrescian
Loyal
livin like a king there....
good scenery...relaxing....got charbo....all price cheap...and i meant it ALL!!!
can smoke real Kreteks (clove) ciggies without fearing kana fine....
but only thing is the security....abit unsecure...
MANY CROOKS AROUND.... (worst than gangsters in singapore....:p)
u might never know who is behind you...a sudden blow the next thing u know you already in hospital :eek::eek:

vincenttan

Alfrescian
Loyal
livin like a king there....
good scenery...relaxing....got charbo....all price cheap...and i meant it ALL!!!
can smoke real Kreteks (clove) ciggies without fearing kana fine....
but only thing is the security....abit unsecure...
MANY CROOKS AROUND.... (worst than gangsters in singapore....:p)
u might never know who is behind you...a sudden blow the next thing u know you already in hospital :eek::eek:

Have an Indonesian wife (second one, no problem) and establish the right contact with those incharged there (give some Money). Living like a King is possible. Crooks is everywhere, it is how you make them think twice before targeting you!

FatBoyDick

Been working and staying in Batam for the past 7 yrs. A lot of changes since my first day and now.

Yes, there are broadband services but very costly if you wanna install at your house. Better go to any hotel internet cafe. Yes, foreigner are allow to buy houses in Batam, but oni 25 yr to 30 yrs lease. Unless you got yourself a Indo wife and you trust her, the leasing years will be longer.

Do get a good lawyer there to help you settle all the documentation and procedures and do go to those reputable property developer is my advise to those bro who really want a pc of land and house there.

Batam is a good place to relax and let loose. But recently over the last 2 yrs or so, I see more and more Indian from India working there and bring their families over. All because more and more factories and company there are employing these "expat" due to cost cutting measures.

Long time ago, KTVs and pubs there were dominated my singaporean but now you can see these indies there also. I dont really mind sharing a good hang out place with them but what usually put me off is that the night will usually ends with shattered beer bottles/glass, indies slapping a few cute chicks and make a big scene out of it and Indian drunken master mimicking Jackie Chan original drunken master kungfu moves/punches.... a real joy-killer really....:(

pia

Alfrescian
Loyal
Been working and staying in Batam for the past 7 yrs. A lot of changes since my first day and now.

Yes, there are broadband services but very costly if you wanna install at your house. Better go to any hotel internet cafe. Yes, foreigner are allow to buy houses in Batam, but oni 25 yr to 30 yrs lease. Unless you got yourself a Indo wife and you trust her, the leasing years will be longer.

Do get a good lawyer there to help you settle all the documentation and procedures and do go to those reputable property developer is my advise to those bro who really want a pc of land and house there.

Batam is a good place to relax and let loose. But recently over the last 2 yrs or so, I see more and more Indian from India working there and bring their families over. All because more and more factories and company there are employing these "expat" due to cost cutting measures.

Long time ago, KTVs and pubs there were dominated my singaporean but now you can see these indies there also. I dont really mind sharing a good hang out place with them but what usually put me off is that the night will usually ends with shattered beer bottles/glass, indies slapping a few cute chicks and make a big scene out of it and Indian drunken master mimicking Jackie Chan original drunken master kungfu moves/punches.... a real joy-killer really....:(

The roads were a nightmare, pothole-ridden and flood-prone... how's the situation now?

Naka_Timo

Alfrescian
Loyal
I could be nice if intend to stay there at least the lifestyle there is not as hetic as in singapore and it will lead a carefree live where u dont have tis and tat to wori abt.

Ridler

Alfrescian
Loyal
The roads were a nightmare, pothole-ridden and flood-prone... how's the situation now?

Still the same lah. They dun bother about infrastructure lah.
Poor communication facilities and internet access.

People go there for the minahs lor. :biggrin: