• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Singaporean in Australia: I am happy I need not serve Singapore anymore!

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
[h=2]Singaporean in Australia: I am happy I need not serve Singapore anymore![/h]Posted by temasektimes on May 5, 2012
I am a Singaporean working abroad for the last three years. One of my trips back on board SQ, I was sitting beside an elderly western European couple. Our friendly chat brought about the usual “where are you from?” I told them Singapore and they had nothing but praises for our national carrier.
The conversation led on to their frequent visits to our country en route to Australia, whenever they make a trip down under. They asked “where were you educated? As you English is very good.” I found this question strange and unsure where it will lead to.
“I was fully educated in Singapore”, and I told them our education was all in English.
The next thing I heard from them :” when we visited 10 , 15 years back everyone there was like you and we were pleasantly surprise at how easy it is during our stopover, everyone was accommodating and friendly. But during our last trip back (4yrs ago), we found it strange And more difficult in terms of communication and the level of service declined.”
“Were they asian?”
“Yes, Chinese, just like you!”
I had to defend and told them they were probably immigrants from china, I am Chinese but I am fourth generation Singaporean, so I rather not be associated with my ethnicity, but my nationality. Probably it was the beer served with my meal, or just the general sentiment as it was election year, and change could have happened but didn’t, I let it rip.
I let loose on how our red passport, once considered a symbol of national pride, is now easily obtainable and cheap. How I would trade it for any other passport right now from a country who actually treats their citizens right. How I managed to get out of the ‘wheel’ of the Singapore lifestyle (work eat sleep bills, work eat sleep bills) and would try never to return. How I was happy I need not serve my country anymore, but 15 years ago I was actually contemplating making it a career.
Thank God and my senses for not being stupid. I further elaborated on how the poor are not adequately taken care of, the old are made to work till they are 70-80, and special needs are not given any needs, so to speak. I explained how education is like in Singapore, they cannot fanthom how governments can give free tertiary education to foreigners but citizens have to pay. They were shocked when I mentioned the concept of COE and ERP. The list goes on, it made the 15hr flight a breeZe.
I’m not a management expert, but I remember Maslows hierarchy of needs, and how every level of that hierarchy has to be filled, for someone to be happy.
Our government has failed to satisfy these needs to 40% of Singaporeans. Like a cat, once its owner is unable to provide something for its well being, it will leave and not come back. There are many friends who already left and there are tons more hoping to get out of the little red dot we once were proud of.
Only 60% are happy? ( so says the polls) that’s a fail if you ask me, for a government so hyped up on GPA and grades, scoring a 60% is a fail. The incumbent has propbably never even given a scholarship applicant a chance seeing that their grades are on average 60%, how can they even think of patting themselves on the back, let alone increase their own wages. I think Singaporeans should not even given them a chance.
*The above is first posted as a comment here.