• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Olympus OM-D E-M5 retro (best mirrorless camera of 2012)

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
flash.jpg

6839554183_e577239040_b.jpg

PEN_E-M5_Lens_silver_black.jpg

PEN_E-M5_EZ-M1250EZ_silver_black.jpg

PEN_OMD_top_b_XL.jpg

PEN_E-M5_Lens_HLD-6_black_black_black.jpg

PEN_E-M5_HLD-6_black_black.jpg

Last edited:

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
P1000364.jpg

I was not surprised that it is a woman holding the camera since in Japan most of these small, mirrorless cameras are designed with women uppermost in mind. Of course, girly-men also buy them. emoticon - grin Unlike several years ago, there are now many photo magazines aimed at women, rather than men. Also, it has become trendy in Japan for young women to carry around old, MF silver film SLRs from the 1970s and 1980s, usually with a 50mm lens. I see them pretty often in Tokyo. I don't know if they use them for photos a lot or if they are more of a fashion accessory. The retro camera look is big among young women in Japan. Olympus, of course, knows this. Fortunately, I am secure in my masculinity. emoticon - grin

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
A New Focus for Camera Makers

With Profits Tight in the Point-and-Shoot Market, Manufacturers Carve Out Niche With Higher-End, Mirrorless Models

http://online.wsj.com/...4444604577342094118995830.html?mod=ITP_marketplace_2

The new cameras especially are a hit among Japanese women. Budding female photo enthusiasts in the country are known as Camera Girls, and manufacturers are targeting them with nontraditional camera colors such as "fiery pink" and "sensual brown." The companies also offer accessories such as camera straps and cases meant to appeal to women.

Panasonic, which introduced the market's first mirrorless compact system camera four years ago, said it took lessons it learned then to the U.S. to sell its Lumix cameras.

Initially the company struggled, because it was targeting "everybody," said Shiro Kitajima, the head of Panasonic's consumer marketing in North America. Panasonic found in market research that women wanted to take better pictures without having to carry a bulky camera.

Panasonic targeted women in print and online advertisements on maternity and beauty sites. It also focused on selling the mirrorless cameras in stores frequented more often by women, rather than the male-dominated battleground of camera or electronics shops.

The strategy was a success. Panasonic said typically about 75% of SLR customers are male, but nearly 70% of the buyers of its mirrorless cameras are female.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What about the Leica M9? Any thoughts?

Leica M9 is an amazing camera. The most beautifully made camera and lenses. The only thing for me about the system, are the price of their lenses and lack of stock. The lenses are like 5-10 times the price of equivalent nikkor and you have to be on a waiting lists to get it. I find that situation unacceptable, therefore i will not buy into the system.

You said you want high ISO performance, you will not find in M9. I think ISO 800 and below are great on this camera, above that, you have to look elsewhere. Lucky for you, there is fujifilm X-pro 1, it maybe just the thing for you.

Last edited:

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Leica was famous for not using multi-coat. If they are using multi-coat now, no different from the rest.

No multi-coating? that is leitz lenses of 1930's. Leica lenses have multi-coating since 1950's, multi-coating are required to prevent flare, it is an requirement for all lenses since WW2.

Last edited:

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
You said you want high ISO performance, you will not find in M9. I think ISO 800 and below are great on this camera, above that, you have to look elsewhere. Lucky for you, there is fujifilm X-pro 1, it will be just the thing for you.

I have all the DSLRs and medium format cameras that I need. What I'm looking for is a smaller compact or rangefinder camera which is QUIET so I can use it for my street photography shooting from the hip without being noticed.

With my Nikon, once I click the shutter, everyone within 5 metres radius knows I just snapped a picture.

I have a retired M3 which used to do the job perfectly. I'm looking for a camera as quiet as this legend.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I have all the DSLRs and medium format cameras that I need. What I'm looking for is a smaller compact or rangefinder camera which is QUIET so I can use it for my street photography shooting from the hip without being noticed.

With my Nikon, once I click the shutter, everyone within 5 metres radius knows I just snapped a picture.

I have a retired M3 which used to do the job perfectly. I'm looking for a camera as quiet as this legend.

olympus OM-D is perfect for street photography, tilt the LCD and use your finger to press on the LCD to shoot.
because the camera is so small and if you shoot at the hip, and press finger on LCD, they do not even know you are there.

There are some average zoom lenses and very good prime for that camera.

it is quiet. in the street, they cannot hear you. But image quality is not up to level of fujifilm x -pro1.

But the most quiet is fujifilm x100, even in theatre, they can barely hear you. That one only have fixed lens. oh M9 is very quiet too, like x100. But M9 have bad high ISO.

look at those review i attached in fujifilm x pro 1 thread, look at those street photography , OMG IQ are great for such a light camera.
http://www.sammyboy.com/showthread.php?115611-Fujifilm-x-pro-1&p=1046899#post1046899

Last edited:

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
olympus OM-D is perfect for street photography, tilt the LCD and use your finger to press on the LCD to shoot.
because the camera is so small and if you shoot at the hip, and press finger on LCD, they do not even know you are there.

Is that based upon a review you have read or watched or are you speaking from first hand experience?

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Is that based upon a review you have read or watched or are you speaking from first hand experience?

I cannot find this camera anywhere near my place. Nothing on internet shop too. At the moment i do not have it yet. But soon to get my hands on it.

As for the information i gave you, these are based on my experience fooling around similar older m4/3 camera in the shop, such features are common on them, all m4/3 camera with touch screen can shoot with pressing the finger on the place you want to focus. Plus reading and watching reviews on the internet. I am sure what i told you are accurate.

I am excited for this camera, it is almost perfect from what i am looking for 1 year of researching and playing with all other mirrorless camera. Put a small prime lens on it and it will be the perfect small street camera. you see i love my 5d2 picture, but carrying around it to shoot on the street is giving me backache. I am tired of carrying my massive lens collection and DSLR around. All my good lens are big and heavy.

Last edited:

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
I cannot find this camera anywhere near my place. Nothing on internet shop too. At the moment i do not have it yet. But soon to get my hands on it.

Found it! My local camera shop has one in stock. I'll go take a look tomorrow. I want the 9 mm lens (18mm full frame equivalent). They don't have that one in the country so may have to buy it off the net... Adorama is my usual on line haunt.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Found it! My local camera shop has one in stock. I'll go take a look tomorrow. I want the 9 mm lens (18mm full frame equivalent). They don't have that one in the country so may have to buy it off the net... Adorama is my usual on line haunt.

I am jealous, i have sweet smelling dollar bills in my hand, but no where i can find the camera. Not even on line.

9mm for micro 4/3, that is hard to find, only one that is high quality Panasonic Lumix G 7-14mm f/4

not easy. Can you consider Olympus 12mm f/2