• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Manchester clubs united in defeat

Confuseous

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Sir Alex Ferguson last night admitted that he faced gambling with Manchester United's hopes of retaining the Premier League in an attempt to keep alive his side's faltering Europa League campaign.

The United manager, whose side fell to their second successive Europa league defeat in the 3-2 home loss to Athletic Bilbao, again cited a lack of defensive experience and suggested he is considering resting Rio Ferdinand from Sunday's match with West Bromwich Albion at Old Trafford – to have him fresh for next Thursday's last-16 return. "He is such a great player and his experience away from home it's a possibility [that I'll rest him for West Brom]," said Ferguson, who insisted the tie as still alive for his club. "I think I will gamble a couple on Sunday for Thursday's game."

Ferguson lost Chris Smalling, whose stitches from a deep wound sustained playing for England came undone, leaving him a doubt for the weekend. He admitted that his side, who lost at home to Ajax last month, had again been made to look second best in Europe's junior competition. "Our defending wasn't very good tonight," he said. "No doubt they were the better team very aggressive in terms of their attacking and pressing the ball."

Meanwhile, the Manchester City manager, Roberto Mancini, fears that Vincent Kompany will miss the next two weeks of the season at least with a calf injury. Mancini saw his captain limp off after just eight minutes of one of his side's most lacklustre displays of the season as they lost 1-0 at Sporting Lisbon on a disastrous night for the Premier League's top two sides.

Kompany will certainly miss Sunday's game at Swansea and a potentially vital home game with Chelsea. Joleon Lescott also suffered a groin injury and may also be doubtful. Mancini chose not to risk his main right-back, Micah Richards, last night while another, Pablo Zabaleta, is sidelined with a hamstring injury. "A calf injury is a serious thing," said Mancini of Kompany. "It could be a big problem but we hope it could also be 10 days maximum. But we have three good central defenders and I hope we can cope without this player."

- http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...ted-in-defeat-7546173.html?printService=print

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
one suffers a defeat away. the other suffers a defeat at home and in doing so, shipped 2 crucial away goals to Bilbao.

I hope Fergie look back after an empty season on what he has done / could have done since pre season. The team has been screaming for a creative midfielder and a holding / defensive midfielder.

The Philistine

Alfrescian
Loyal
one suffers a defeat away. the other suffers a defeat at home and in doing so, shipped 2 crucial away goals to Bilbao.

I hope Fergie look back after an empty season on what he has done / could have done since pre season. The team has been screaming for a creative midfielder and a holding / defensive midfielder.

Agree. Scott Parker would have been a good buy. Mata too, but Chelski got him first.

GOD IS MY DOG

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
bad news for any Manchester club is good news for me........................

this time round......................double happiness................

Sarcastic

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

English clubs are overrated. The challenge and opportunity to make money is there in European competition. It's only right and sane that you back Sporting CP at home, then back Man City when they play at home in the return fixture. Man U has to give 110% because Llorente and co. has never say die attitude. Can't praise Bilbao too much because previously i had backed Locomotiv Moscow to beat them. :rolleyes:

Last edited: