• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

I intend to call a by-election in Hougang: PM Lee

methink

Alfrescian
Loyal
Mr Hri Kumar added: "Contrary to what (Asst Prof Tan) wrote, Article 49 of the Constitution does not say that an election shall be 'called' to fill a vacant seat. It simply prescribes that the vacant seat 'shall be filled by election'."[/COLOR]

Idiot SC Hri Kumar, how vacant seat 'shall be filled by election' if it is not called?

Stupid lawyer playing with words.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
LHL is fixing a 'hole'....

PM Lee said:
"Right now we have Low Thia Khiang, Chiam See Tong, Steve Chia. We can deal with them. Suppose you had 10, 15, 20 opposition members in Parliament. Instead of spending my time thinking what is the right policy for , I'm going to spend all my time thinking what is the right way to fix them, to buy my supporters votes, how can I solve this week's problem and forget about next year's challenges?

Give him more time .....

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

PM Lee said:
"Right now we have Low Thia Khiang, Chiam See Tong, Steve Chia. We can deal with them. Suppose you had 10, 15, 20 opposition members in Parliament. Instead of spending my time thinking what is the right policy for , I'm going to spend all my time thinking what is the right way to fix them, to buy my supporters votes, how can I solve this week's problem and forget about next year's challenges?

Give him more time .....

My conjecture, just conjecture for humor...

LHL : Last round, WP has scored over 40% in all their contested constituencies, and touching on 55% in GRC and 65% in SMC even with the scandalous YSL who actually proudly proclaimed that he had voted for us when he contested me in my GRC the last last round. What should I do now?

LKY : Claim constitutional PM power and don't waste time and more embarrassment on a BE until the next GE, like what I did to JBJ.

LHL : The political pressure is mounting. Even some our own MPs are saying different things interpretating the Constitution differently.

LKY : Where the hell did you find this bunch of idiots from? If they keep on saying different things in Parliament, that's really embarrassing!

LHL : I know I know, but too late now, any solution to suggest to get out of this fix?

LKY : The judiciary is the guardian of the Constitution. Submit the case to the court shut the fuck them up under sub-judice.

LHL : Oh yes, why didn't I think of that. You're still the best, dad!

Last edited:

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"LHL : Oh yes, why didn't I think of that. You're still the best, dad! "

By the time I know how to tie my own shoe laces, with butterfly knots, I have not ask my dad much things, you tell me, he is still asking his dad on how, when & why?

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"LHL : Oh yes, why didn't I think of that. You're still the best, dad! "

By the time I know how to tie my own shoe laces, with butterfly knots, I have not ask my dad much things, you tell me, he is still asking his dad on how, when & why?

LHL : I have to ask dad because mom is dead. :(

streetsmart73

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

PM Lee said:

Give him more time .....

hi there

1. pink is not only ball-less but daft!
2. having so much to do on hand, just outsource it mah.
3. after all, it is not its monies but free monies.

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
He..He..He.. Hri Kumar por lumpar skills not that good enough...He's really looking silly now...:biggrin: :eek: :biggrin:

cunnilaubu

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
PAP is very good with numbers and stats. Had YSL scored lower than LTK in Hougang 2011, they might not be so worried. But YSL scored higher than LTK even after HDB took down an entire precinct of WP traditional core support in the Blocks 2 to 6 wet market vicinity. What does that mean? It can't possibly be that YSL is better or more popular than LTK, no way by any stretch of imagination. Therefore, it means that Hougang is WP entrenched and any WP candidate will do. What's wrong with losing in a ward again that has already been lost anyway? More than embarrassment, it can sway nationwide sentiments with BE as focal point.

A by-election would be the extension of the GE and PE. All the grievances and issues raised during those elections will be brought up again. And any new ones, such as the dissatisfaction over ministerial pay, raise in public transport fares, tertiary tuition fees, etc etc will be aired. It will become a referendum on the govt's performance since the GE.

Varuna

Alfrescian
Loyal
by 25K voters and 1% of electorate? LHL is probably thinking likewise too, that's why PAP are taking this by-election so seriously. are they?

Interestingly, the reason he used to back his answer is just ludicrous. Either we were darn luckly in all the past GEs/PEs where there were no issues on the national agenda and international backdrop to affect the prosperity and security of the country, or this BE suddenly becomes too massive that it can potentially cripple and immobilize the country from proper functioning. Machiam suddenly Hougang SMC got so much power and influence to stagnate or sink a country. This is a joke. A very forceful and low class reason which only undermines his confidence and ability to face reality. Shows his weakness and nothing else.... :biggrin:

Khun Ying Pojaman

Alfrescian
Loyal
As for the legal question of whether and when I must call a by-election, an application has been filed in court concerning this, so the matter is now sub judice, i.e. under the consideration of the court.

This absence of any stipulated time frame is the result of a deliberate decision by Parliament to confer on the Prime Minister the discretion to decide when to fill a Parliamentary vacancy.

All the Law Professors have been telling him that his discretion to decide "when" is not an unfettered discretion. If it were, there would come a point where "when" became "whether". Everything is subject to the test of reasonableness, and it simply means PM has to call a by-election within a reasonable time.

An "absolute discretion" to decide "when" to call a by-election, as put forward by his learned SC MP, would have the same effect as "whether" to call a by-election at all.

Last edited:

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
81-6 is not a true reflection of the actual percentage of votes of 60%. If you insist otherwise, I give it to you.

that's how our electoral system works. if you win 55% popular votes, you get 80% of seats. 60% votes - 90% seats.

proportional representation? anyway pap won't change the electoral system. the oppositions seem happy with the system. so nothing more to say.

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
PAP is very good with numbers and stats. Had YSL scored lower than LTK in Hougang 2011, they might not be so worried. But YSL scored higher than LTK even after HDB took down an entire precinct of WP traditional core support in the Blocks 2 to 6 wet market vicinity. What does that mean? It can't possibly be that YSL is better or more popular than LTK, no way by any stretch of imagination. Therefore, it means that Hougang is WP entrenched and any WP candidate will do. What's wrong with losing in a ward again that has already been lost anyway? More than embarrassment, it can sway nationwide sentiments with BE as focal point.

From the moment Eugene Tan went out strongly in support of BE, I knew it was the cabinet's intention that BE should be called. The time to GE is simply too long. But that's not the primary consideration for calling a BE within this year (or even 1st half of this year).

The reason why they want to call a BE soon is basically a continuation of perception management, that they are progressively making the playing field more level. One ward in the grand scheme of things is certain not a major blow, although history has shown that even one ward can serve as a building ground (the reason why Aljunied was lost is partly because of the over 20 years of dedication put in by WP in the single seat of Hougang) to expand to other wards.

Not to call a BE soon will allow sentiment to fester that PAP is playing it unfair. And if Aljunied MPs do a good job of taking care of HG's needs in the interim, it will even help create a favourable impression of Aljunied MPs.