• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

叶叔问政:K Shanmugam Temasek Jinx & Ass Loong Son abusing threats against TRE & Sammy

Toronto

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: K Shanmugam have followed up with the family of late Mr Cheng from the Ferrari cr

k-shanmugam.jpg
Alfred Dodwell: We can all offer our sympathy, but it is truly commendable that you as their MP take the extra steps to do something tangible and real for this family.

Ravi Jay: Sir thanks for helping the family of our fellow citizens in time of need. I am doing my part by donating blood 3 months once .. 59 times till today. I hope our people come forward to help one another in one way or other .

Miranda Tham: well done, everybody including the poor, deserves a chance

Mia Jing Goh: these acts are from a magnanimous minister and kind MP, but these are not the only poor and needy in Singapore - surely we have a system to cover the needy and the very needy timely and adequately, if there isn't then our government needs to do immediately otherwise it's a shame ... aren't tax money to improve the lives of citizens?

Anbang Dingguo: if mr shanmugam really feel he unperpaid as a minister he could alwaya rejoin legal sector, i will be the 1st sporean who is happy to kick him out of the cabinet
K Shanmugam: Sc Freinds, tks for the offers. will take note. Have found tutors for the children, and we are working on the finances. The government helps in a number of ways, but in cases like these ( for example the need for individualised tuition), we can look at the individual needs and find tutors. Several have come forward to assist. Also, for their future financial security, we can try and help.

Chan Zhiwei: Hi Mr K Shanmugam, i am still jobless everyday long? Please think of a way of helping me get a jobs soon..Thanks :smile:

Toronto

Alfrescian
Loyal
Blogger Gintai meeting with Minister K Shanmugam at his office

20120616-131915.jpg

Blogger Gintai meeting with Minister K Shanmugam at his office

Posted on 16/06/2012

On 15/6/12 @11.40 am, I had a private meeting with Foreign Affairs and Law Minister Mr Shanmugam in his office. It lasted for about an hour. Only the Minister, myself and one of his trusted grassroots assistants Henry were present.

The meeting was arranged by Henry. He dropped me an email dated 1st May. Subsequently, the PA was able to fix it on 15 June which was my off day. I arrived there much earlier at about 11.15am. I had to clear three security barriers – the main entrance to The Treasury building, scanned all my personal belongings and walked through the metal detector, exchanged a security pass, passed through another set of security gate to the lift. Even on the floor of his office, I had to pass through yet another security gate before meeting the police security officer outside his office. Henry came later and we introduced ourselves. We chatted briefly whilst waiting for the Minister who was having a meeting in his office.

Henry told me that he is working in the finance sector. He is a volunteer and help out in the Minister’s ward. His area of responsibility includes the new social media where he monitors and reports to the Minister. He declares that he is a fan of my blog. I took an immediate liking to him cuz he is so humble and friendly even though he is CEO of an investment company.

When the PA summoned us to the Minister’s office, I was shown to the comfortable chairs at the corner of his spacious office. He was wearing a simple long sleeve shirt with a dark colored sweater and we sat down. He looks serious but friendly with his hair clearly thinning and exposing his shining pate. He shook hands with me and thanked me for coming to see him.

I briefly introduced myself to him. He then told me that he read my little article and he wanted to find out more of it. He also read some other articles on my blog. He just wanted to discuss with me some of the current issues. From the word go, we started an amicable discussion of current issues ranging from housing affordability, ever popular immigration issues, social welfare spending such as medical, CPF, defence expenditure, jobs etc. There were many more issues which we did not even mention due to lack of time. The one hour allocated to our meeting just whisked pass in a moment.

Minister Shanmugan seemed to be very concerned about housing affordability mentioned on my blog here. He explained to me about HDB pricing policy. According to him, all state land is under reserves. If a piece of land is needed to build a block of HDB flats, the government will have to pay for this piece of land into the reserves. It is the same for private development or other uses. He promised to talk about housing again when we next meet.

Minister Shanmugan assures me that every Singapore citizen will definitely have a flat provided he has a job. No citizens should be deprived of his ability to get a HDB flat as a first timer newly married couple. He says the government gurantees that everyone will get a flat at an affordable price. Of course, if you sell off your flat and then spend all the money from the sale of the flat, it’s a different story he says. When I mention about divorce cases etc, the Minister says that the government will still help on a case by case basis. He then asked me to provide details on TO Zaidi Blond’s case so that the Minister can understand the facts better. I agreed to provide details. He also said that even where people are on a very low income, government gives a lot of subsidies, to help them buy a flat.

When I told the Minister that train drivers in UK are earning about 50,000 pounds per year, he said that figure needs to be checked. Minister Shanmugan says that assuming it’s correct, the position of a British train driver and a Singaporean one will have to be considered after the different taxes in Britain and Singapore, and the fact that the Singaporean will get subsidized housing and children will in general get better education. He promised to go through the data with me the next time we meet. He also agreed with me that salaries should be looked at again, as we go forward.

I then told him that in UK or many European countries, basic items do not have GST. In Singapore, though our GST is only 7% compared to theirs ranging from 20% to 25%, I would still prefer their system. He then made a number of points. The difference between paying 7% and 20% is very big, and people will feel it. Second, most of the GST is paid by the top 20% of the population, and foreigners. The lower income gets GST offsets, and other payment including rebates. The GST was in effect a system of transferring money from the wealthy to the less well off. The government will have to spend lots of money and resources to maintain a mechanism to monitor the so many loopholes resulting in lesser GST collected and spending more with the net result of less revenue. A friend of his shared a real-life example: a traveller was buying a piece of painting having to pay about 3000 pounds of GST. When the shop owner sensed his reluctance to pay the extra 3000 pounds in GST, he offered to classify it under “educational aid” to avoid paying the GST. These loopholes will benefit the rich more than the poor, and reduce the amount the government gets to spend on the less well off.

It’s better that Singapore enforces a flat rate of 7% GST on everything. The GST collected is then used to help the people with lower income, and GST rebates are given as well. Our approach is to have everyone pay GST but target the support to the lower income. This is more efficient. He promised to show me some figures the next time we meet.

According to Minister Shanmugam the top 20% income earners, companies, and non-Singaporeans pay 84% of the total taxes in Singapore to finance our $52 billion government budget expenditure. The rest pay only 16% of the total taxes. In other words, we are really depending on the top 20%, companies and foreigners to sustain an important part of our budget and government expenditure. This is rather shocking to me.

Still I pointed to him that the influx of immigrants is really sore point. Citizens are unhappy over the large number of immigrants. It is a fact that the government cannot ignore. I cited figures of nearly 1.8 million (include PRs) out of our 5.2 million population yet the government still wants to bring in despite the current figures. Minister Shanmugam clarified that this figure of 1.8 million includes people who work as househelp and construction workers. These are jobs that Singaporeans don’t want to do. There are many other jobs that Singaporeans don’t want to do, and we have no choice but to have foreigners come and do these jobs.

Minister Shanmugan acknowledged the widespread unhappiness over new citizens and immigrants. But he warns that a massive grey tsunami is coming to Singapore in another 15-20 yrs time where only 2 to 3 Singaporeans will be working for every senior citizen who will not be working. We need those immigrants in their prime to boost up the economy and support an aging population. I countered that with so many immigrants; we are diluting our identity and creating social problems. He agreed that there are problems but asked me to consider what will happen without some immigration. We will suffer serious decline in the future. He said that if the government was simply populist, the easiest thing to do will be to completely close off immigration. But that will affect our young people most by increasing their tax burden in the future, and seriously affect our economy, our jobs and livelihoods. He said that the government will have to explain these issues better. An aging population, and a declining birth rate will impose severe costs on Singapore. If we don’t deal with it now, it will be too late. He said that this is one of the most serious challenges facing Singapore, and we need to discuss these issues, seriously and carefully, as a country.

When I commented that bringing in more immigrants to compete for jobs with locals, he said that bring in foreign workers is to increase the economy so that our workers will get better jobs and better pay. He said that the statistics show that in the years when more foreign workers came, the salaries of Singapore workers grew more, because the economy grew well. Our employment rate is at below 3% and that is lower than many countries. We have tightened up on the flow of foreign workers, but as a result many companies are now facing difficulties and are very unhappy. He was concerned that if many companies are unable to carry on their business, then our workers will start losing their jobs as is happening in many places in the wrold. He also said that though companies bring in foreign workers, MOM has set up a unit to look into unfair practices. If Singaporeans are discriminated against, MOM will deal with it. I then quoted two of my Indian colleagues’ wives who could not get a job with NTUC cuz they preferred Chinese. NUTC recently went to China to mass recruit workers. Minister Shanmugan straightaway asked me for the full details of the two quoted cases. He would want to investigate. He again added that complaints on unfair practices can be made to MOM and MOM will look into these issues.

One of my colleagues came from HDB parking enforcement section. Many of us are aware that HDB shut down its car park operations and then outsourced to a sister company. The same car park enforcement officer is still performing the same job but this time under different management in the sister company with reduced pay and benefits. This is clear cut cost cutting measure tantamount to exploitation which he agreed. I told him that should not be the way. It’s an easy option out. It is also happening in other places such as airport SATs services etc. He said that he would send my feedback to his colleagues.

The Minister seemed taken aback when I told him that many Singaporeans are going over to JB to buy the exact medicine which is about a third of what it costs here. In fact, some doctors even encourage patients to procure their medicine supply from JB. He replied that he would look into it.

To my next question on why the government or CPF charges an “admin fee” when I use my own CPF to pay for my medical fees in polyclinic and hospital? Do I get charged for using my own money in the bank to pay for purchases? He will pass my message onto the relevant agency. He seemed to understand my point, and I won on that.

Minister Shanmugam’s PA kept reminding him of his 1.00 pm lunch appointment. With that, when it was late, he had to leave. I thanked him and told him that I will blog about this meeting.

I had prepared many questions but didn’t have the time to seek his enlightenment. Questions such as “Why Singapore could not produce world class brands or enterprises like Ikea, Samsung, LG, Assus or HTC?” Instead our economy is controlled mostly by GLCs and NTUC enterprises? Why do we only have SPH who is always headed by an ex-PAP Minister? These are persistent questions that need to be addressed by the government if it is sincere and genuine in the long-term interests of our country. Like what Minister Shanmugam says it will take him more time to answer them at another time till we meet again.

Source: http://gintai.wordpress.com/150-2/

20120327-182145.jpg

Toronto

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Blogger Gintai meeting with Minister K Shanmugam at his office

ksmg.jpg

facebooklogo.jpgKShanmugam:
Last Friday, I had a good discussion with Gintai the blogger. He made some very good points for me to take back, and think about. He has agreed to organize another session for me to meet his fellow train drivers. I will continue my approach of reaching out.

Toronto

Alfrescian
Loyal

Law Minister K Shanmugam on changes to death penalty sentences
shan.jpg

Law Minister K Shanmugam explained that the mandatory death penalty will continue to apply to the most serious form of murder, intentional killing.

Mr Shanmugam warned that offenders who intended to cause the death of their victims ought to be punished with the most severe penalty, and the law ought to provide the most powerful deterrent against such offences.

However, he explained that other categories of murder could be committed with different degrees of intent and under a variety of situations that may not deserve the death penalty.

In such cases, the courts should be given the discretion to order either life imprisonment or the death penalty.

"This change will ensure that our sentencing framework properly balances the various objectives: justice to the victim, justice to society, justice to the accused, and mercy in appropriate cases," Mr Shanmugam said. "This is a matter of judgement and the approach being taken is not without risks, but we believe this is a step we can take."

The minister explained that the changes were a right step to take as Singapore society becomes safer, less violent and more mature, citing the nation's relatively low incidence of homicides, with 16 recorded homicides, or about 0.3 per 100,000 population, in 2011.

Mr Shanmugam told Parliament that once legislation has been put in place, all accused persons who meet the requirements can elect to be considered for re-sentencing under the new law.

This will include accused persons in ongoing cases, as well as convicted persons who have already exhausted their appeals and are currently awaiting execution.

"While we have outlined the principle of the changes today, those giving legal advice to the accused persons should carefully study the legislation when it is enacted and properly understand the precise scope of the changes. In the meantime, they should not make any assumptions or give misleading advice," Mr Shanmugam said.

The minister also told Parliament that for firearms offences, the government's conclusion is that such offences are a serious threat against law and order, against which the country must continue to maintain a highly deterrent posture.

The mandatory death penalty will therefore also continue to apply to firearms offences.

Mr Shanmugam stressed that in making the changes, the government seeks to achieve and balance two broad objectives.

The first is to continue taking a strong stance on crime.

"Where many other countries have failed, Singapore has succeeded in keeping the drug menace under control. Singapore's homicide rate is one of the lowest in the world, and we believe that the deterrent effect of the death penalty has played an important part in this. Our tough approach to crime has resulted in crime rates which are significantly lower than many other major cities," he said.

"Young children can take public transport by themselves. Women can move around the city freely. We have no gun violence, no protection rackets, no drug pushers on the streets, no inner-city ghettoes. Citizens and visitors alike feel safe, in and out of home, at all hours of the day. This is something enjoyed by few cities in the world. This is something we should seek to preserve."

The second is the refinement of Singapore's approach towards sentencing offenders.

Mr Shanmugam warned that Singapore's cardinal objectives remain the same and crime must be deterred and society must be protected against criminals.

"Justice can be tempered with mercy and, where appropriate, offenders should be given a second chance," he said.

"How these objectives are achieved and balanced depend on the values and expectations of society, as it evolves and matures. We believe the proposed changes strike the right balance for Singapore today. They will seek to ensure that our criminal justice system continues to provide the framework for a safe and secure Singapore, while meeting the need for fairness and justice in each case."

Draft legislation implementing the proposed changes to the application of the death penalty to drug and homicide offences will be introduced in Parliament later this year.

Currently, there are 35 persons awaiting capital punishment; 28 are for drug offences and seven for murder.

Arguably the most high-profile case is that of Malaysian drug trafficker Yong Vui Kong. He was sentenced to death in 2008 for trafficking heroin. He was 19 at the time.

Amnesty International has cited Yong's case in its recent calls on the Singapore government to abolish capital punishment.

Yong's lawyer M Ravi told Channel NewsAsia that his client is "most eligible for death sentence to be reconsidered under the amended law as his mastermind will be a witness to the prosecution to attest that Yong is a mule". The mastermind is allegedly Yong's boss, Singaporean Chia Choon Leng.

Also on death row is Pathip Selvan Sugumaran. He was convicted of killing his 18-year-old girlfriend in 2009.

Both men are appealing their convictions.

- CNA/wm/ir
Source: http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1212485/1/.html

Bigfuck

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

It is clear there is too much 2-D thinking here and not enough 3-D thinking when it comes these policy issues. You have to look at against the function of time and you realize you need multiple model simulations and comparison. Deductive thinking is only good for low level thinking. All variables change and so do their weightage. Ceterus paribus is for the winning side and when it changes they will set new weightage to variables. This kind of knee jerk reaction is good for the uneducated but will not keep Singapore abreast in this century. SGP must go full technocracy and play the MLM finance game globally to survive. 2D LKY thinking is a recipe for doom. We are already in the terrabit and above era. Some old fool is stilll 256kb. It is pointless to talk to fools before the computer and multimodelling generation. Anything masturbated over LSD can be simulated to give your parallel possible worlds and outcome that must be used to look at the current and past world to determine the gamble where we must be or what we must do to stay on top of the game. Exit strategy is more than just passing the short straw to others, it is heading for the next optimal strategy or claim resources to build the next strategy to win.

Toronto

Alfrescian
Loyal
K Shanmugam: South China Sea dispute could affect ASEAN's image

showimageCC.aspx

K Shanmugam: South China Sea dispute could affect ASEAN's image
By Saifulbahri Ismail | Posted: 12 July 2012 2214 hrs

SINGAPORE: Foreign Minister K Shanmugam said ASEAN's image will be affected if it is unable to deal with the issue of the South China Sea territorial dispute effectively.

However, Mr Shanmugam who is attending the ASEAN meetings in Phnom Penh, added that so far there is no reason to say that the regional grouping cannot handle it.

The spat over South China Sea dominated discussions during the ASEAN meetings. Intense discussions are still on-going before the grouping can release a joint communiqué on the issue.

Central to the debate is the code of conduct that ASEAN is pursuing with China. So far, there have not been concrete developments in taking the code of conduct forward.

Mr Shanmugam said: "It is an important issue that ASEAN has to deal with. And I think if ASEAN is not seen to be dealing with it effectively, that would impact the image of ASEAN.

"I think so far, the way ASEAN has dealt with it, has generally shown a certain degree of maturity and ASEAN has been able to handle it together with others in a way that's progressive and forward-looking. There's no particular reason right now to say that ASEAN cannot handle it. But if it does not handle it, then it can affect the image."

ASEAN members - Philippines, Vietnam, Brunei and Malaysia - have made rival claims on the areas of the sea, where tensions recently mounted. China's claims encompass almost the entire South China Sea.

Even though Singapore is not a claimant, it believes in freedom of navigation in the area.

Mr Shanmugam believes it is too early to tell if the region is heading for more uncertain times ahead.

He said: "These issues are not easy. I think these sovereignty issues will take some time to deal with. Everybody agrees with that. Meanwhile, we need a way to continue engaging each other. There are some challenges there, but I think of it as both sides having to work at it."

Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong also weighed in on the issue of conflicting claims in the South China Sea.

Speaking to the media at the end of his visit to New Delhi, Mr Lee said it is important for parties to manage the claims and prevent the conflict from escalating.

He said: "The South China Sea has many overlapping claims by several Asean countries, as well as China. These claims are not going to be resolved quickly because I don't think any country is going to readily compromise and give up what it has been asserting for a long time as belonging to it as its sovereign and historical sea space.

"Therefore, our view in Singapore is that this is a problem which has to be managed peacefully, according to international law and respecting the freedom of navigation for all countries."

-CNA/ac

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1213215/1/.html

Toronto

Alfrescian
Loyal
Tan Kim Lian is quick to use Alex Au withdraws comment about K Shanmugam

display_image.php

Tan Kian Lian on his Blog said:
Alex Au withdraws comment about K Shanmugam
Here is a statement posted by Alex Au in his blog:
http://yawningbread.wordpress.com/2012/02/14/comment-about-k-shanmugam-withdrawn/

Please read this statement carefully and learn what was the earlier statement that Alex Au had to withdraw, and the context in which it was written. The earlier statement was considered to be defamatory.

Many Singaporeans have been making statements, in other blogs and websites, about me and other people that are insulting and outrageous. They pass judgment on me that are more defamatory in nature and insist that it is within their right to "freedom of speech".

I hope that these people will try to exercise their freedom of speech against more powerful people, and see how far they can go.

Tan Kin Lian once again is quick to use Alex Au's apology to K Shanmugam to indirectly throw his punch at netizens. Why can't he simply stand on his own feet? Either people have told him this and that or indirectly throwing his punch through another people. Let see what other people have to say....

http://tankinlian.blogspot.sg/2012/02/alex-au-withdraws-comment-about-k.html