Below extract from Alex Au's blog yawningbread.wordpress.com provides background to what happened:
<small class="entry-meta">Published <abbr class="published" title="2012-02-14T22:42:20+0000">14 February 2012</abbr></small>
Comment about K Shanmugam withdrawn
Late afternoon Tuesday, 14 Feb 2012, I received a letter from law firm Allen & Gledhill, acting for K Shanmugam. It said that the allegations regarding their client mentioned within a comment I posted following the post The media and Yaw Shin Leong, are false and scurrilous. I take Shanmugam’s word on this matter. I have withdrawn that comment as requested. Allen & Gledhill have also requested that I publish their letter in full, which I am happy to do:
DEFAMATORY STATEMENTS PUBLISHED ON YAWNINGBREAD.WORDPRESS.COM
1. We act for Mr K Shanmugam.
2. We refer to the following comments that you have made on your website, yawningbread.wordpress.com, under the Responses section of the blog posting entitled “The Media and Yaw Shin Leong” published on 8 February 2012:
“I take the points raised in the above two comments. Indeed, I think the role of the mainstream press in this issue needs to be contrasted with the relative silence when it came to allegations swirling around K Shanmugam and Foo Mee Har at various points in the recent past. That there were rumours is widely known, though as in the Yaw Shin Leong case, no one can point to any proof. But that’s not my point here. My point is that the mainstream media’s interest in the Yaw affair does not look like neutral journalism. “
(Response No 24 dated 9 February 2012 at 23:34hrs) (the “Blog Comments’)
3. The allegations against our client that you have referred to in the Blog Comments have been put up primarily by a person who calls himself “scroobal’ on the internet. The allegations are false and scurrilous.
4. Our client has instructed us to try and trace “scroobal’ in order to sue him. But the internet being what it is. “scroobal’ has been untraceable so far.
5. Likewise, others who have repeated the allegations made by “scroobal’ have so far been untraceable.
6. Our client’s instructions are to commence proceedings against anyone who makes such allegations against our client.
7. We request that you take down the Blog Comments, and publish this letter in full on your website.
8. All our client’s rights are reserved.
ALLEN & GLEDHILL LLP