• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

A Singaporean's guide to living in Thailand

Pillow

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'll take that as a compliment, thank you.

Hello Froggy

Of course it is. Can share which part of Thailand you are in?

You have a good looking helper too.

I think maybe retiring in Thailand is an option with all the good food. Not sure if it is cheap if follows your standard..hehe

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
You are so humble.
I believe that you are a financially successful entrepreneur.
Cheers!

Thank you, I'm just a screw salesman working for a Thai company. As for entrepreneur, I'm not cos I working for a Thai boss who is really the entrepreneur however I did make a daring decision to up root and never look back.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Visiting crony had the fetish for suckling pig. Wanted to do Yawaorat's (Chinatown) renowned shop, but he plumbed for this near Rama 3. Not cheap, at thb1500 by LOS standards

orqpz6.jpg

The shop
2m3fuxg.jpg

Raw prawn salad

2872k5i.jpg

Last edited:

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Post dinner, popped over to Tawandeng Brewery (aka Long Beer German) ..only 2 mins straight from restaurant. Got lucky with Carabao concert

13yqd8g.jpg

Cross section of the believers
316pzc4.jpg

Last edited:

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
As a salesman in a big country I often have to be on the road peddling my hardware travelling from town to town (sometimes villages too). In towns there are no big hotels often have to stay in motels or what we call salesman hotels price range from 400 to 700 baht per night.

Yesterday stayed in one in Sriracha, Sriracha is a mini city (prefer to call it a town) close to Pattaya and 130km from Bangkok. Due to its close proximity to Pattaya it costs more, 1000 baht (include breakfast)

4ugCVXt.jpg

TkzONfh.jpg

Dinning area
I9wIZGj.jpg

The simple room
[video=youtube;ecOIWmXYj2c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecOIWmXYj2c[/video]

Came back from dinner a storm broke
[video=youtube;9iEuuyXMIDc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iEuuyXMIDc[/video]

Last edited:

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Breakfast this half an hour ago

[video=youtube;gmUV5F8SGuo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmUV5F8SGuo[/video]​

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Searched and found a pretty nice Italian in Sriracha by the sea, Levanzo. Went with 4 colleagues.

t62usmv.jpg

Outdoor dining
0LifKvO.jpg

Easy lounge dining
HKFpcdq.jpg

Bar
cRENkM8.jpg

Wood fired pizza oven
vbJd1OA.jpg

Indoor dining
VNX4OAk.jpg

Fine dining
PhjtiPv.jpg

Primitivo
ng4Z9KV.jpg

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Wagyu
iZQVZpB.jpg

Medium well
LbLNV7S.jpg

Tender and juicy lamb
vVkAqoy.jpg

8IyzRy0.jpg

Cod
aROWgtE.jpg

Finally some desserts

Chocolate lava
HRRSZvt.jpg

eY9rmCB.jpg

Tiramisu
Stk0nZx.jpg

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Played tour guide to sinkie visitor at Don Wai floating market. This is a BIG market at nearby Nakhon Pathom, more local flavour and not so 'touristy' as elsewhere. Wooden boat cruise with lunch onboard (commentary in Thai)

keydmg.jpg

Famous teochew lor ark, allegedly sells 600 daily (for religious holidays, 4 figures).
2webcqt.jpg

Boiling pot
11qlant.jpg

Specimen
15yy7is.jpg

Rounded off with coconut kopi after, at cafe near entrance

14t4rkn.jpg

Last edited:

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Did seafood cruise from established Yok Yor Marina on the Chao Praya. There's a sister Yok Yor restaurant on same stretch. Contrasts from other commercial, touristy cruises -as their core business is seafood. Cruise boat is 2 tier, and obviously it's better on top. Runs leisurely 2 hours, up both ends CP (to Asiatique and back). Diff and interesting night views of the sights (Wat Arun, Yaowarat etc)

2cysgfo.jpg

29lcuu9.jpg

2v1x7br.jpg

Wun sen poo (crab tanghoon), expensive though
zn91t3.jpg

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Thought this was an interesting read on staple diet here. Look out for innovative layered meal in a cup (scroll to end)

The real thing, the only thing

tasty September 17, 2017 01:00
By Khetsirin Pholdhampalit
The Sunday Nation

Moom Gapao proves there’s only one honest way to make kao pad gapao

OFTEN WHEN people are unsure what to order for lunch at a food stall, an easy pick is kao pad gapao
– stir-fried pork or chicken with leaves of holy basil, served over rice. The pick is so easy, in fact, that it’s called a “silly dish”.

The truth, though, is that there’s not much appetising about the kao pad gapao offered at many street-food stalls. You get chopped long beans, onion, baby corn, carrot and a lot of oyster sauce, and maybe a basil leaf or two. This variety isn’t even true to the dish’s name.

Teerapol Rojthinnakorn and Pongkwan Tohsanguanpun were disappointed, to say the least. The both adore kao pad gapao and they wanted it made the way they preferred it, the original way. So they opened their own kao pad gapao restaurant. And Moom Gapao has nothing but kao pad gapao on the menu.

d492d068bced620df8196af511e37dae.jpeg
Stir-fried pork or beef with holy basil leaves and rice peek out from under a fried egg or omelette.

“I believe most people want stir-fried meat, basil leaves and rice and nothing else – you don’t need all the vegetables added on,” says Teerapol. “But street vendors always dump in a lot of vegetables to reduce their costs. It looks like stir-fried mixed vegetables topped with a thick gravy of oyster sauce!”

Opened last February on the second and third floors of the Photo Mania Building on Bangkok’s Soi Asoke, Moom Gapao offers stir-fried minced pork and stir-fried chopped chicken with holy basil on rice. It costs Bt55.
97cde60ad170704c8c311b4918aafebd.jpeg
Stir-fried chicken
There are add-ons available. You can add a fried egg or a Thai-style omelette (Bt9 if chicken eggs are used and Bt13 if you prefer duck eggs). Instead of chicken or pork, you can have Australian minced beef, salmon, duck, shrimp, squid, German sausage, Thai sausage or the pork charcoal-grilled, or, for a vegetarian course, tofu or eringii mushrooms.

“The other meat choices require a day’s advance notice and a minimum order of five dishes or take-away boxes,” says Pongkwan.
“And we also deliver!”
The only other options are whether you want your meal spicy or not so spicy.
5fb0a412f8c71d0ee67c49483c7ccd15.jpeg
Stir-fried eringii mushroom
Moom Gapao seats 50 people in a clean, minimalist setting. It’s always packed with office workers at lunchtime. You order and pay at a counter and your dish is brought to your table.

“We call it ‘fast casual’ service – a combination of fast food and proper dining, meaning quick service yet high-quality ingredients, without processed food or MSG,” says Pongkwan. “At rush hour, people need something quick, but it should be high in quality and affordable. Our place meets those needs.”
8a5ba7f2a7941ce7c300b6e7438c6d11.jpeg
Moom Gapao is the inevitable destination for fans of kao pad gapao.
The ingredients include jasmine rice from Ubon Ratchathani, preferred for its softer texture, and aromatic, chemical-free Thai basil leaves from Ratchaburi, which have a strong flavour.

“We did research and found that the rice from Ubon Ratchathani and basil from Ratchaburi are among the best in Thailand,” says Teerapol. “The pork and chicken we use have less fat than normal. Every dish is made fresh to order, but we control the standards and taste with our special secret-recipe sauce.”
480d3accb99ce9e38218a3b8855b1871.jpeg
Stir-fried, charcoal-grilled pork
Teerapol’s family runs a food-packaging company, Rianthong Plastic, so he already had a handy connection with food suppliers. “For the meat and eggs, we have our trusted farms, and we plan to grow our own chemical-free basil in Samut Prakan,” he says.
33ae9309418fe0d1fbb8b229b4adec23.jpeg
Pongkwan Tohsanguanpun, left, and Teerapol Rojthinnakorn
I went for the chicken crowned with a duck egg and your basic level of spiciness.
The chicken is indeed lean. It’s stir-fried to a nice balance of flavours, with the flavour of oyster sauce noticeably missing. The egg is fried crispy on the outside with the yolk slightly runny, but you can tell the staff how you want it done.

The option I chose entailed 85 grams of steamed rice and 80 grams of meat. For the “jumbo” serving, with half as much again rice and meat, you pay an extra Bt10.
205d9e88560bde4a862344612d2ebf07.jpeg
The “togo cup” holds the whole dish with the ingredients in layers.
If time is against you, ask for a “to-go cup” with the rice and meat in layers and a fried egg white and fried yolk on top. You can eat it while in transit and even pop it into your car’s cup holder.

Moom Gapao now has branches at Thaniya Plaza on Silom Road and the Midway Point mall on Kanchanapisek Road. Teerapol plans to have six outlets by the end of this year and 30 within the next three years.

AUTHENTICITY GUARANTEED
Moom Gapao is on the second and third floors of the Photo Mania Building (next to the GMM Building) on Bangkok’s Soi Asoke.
It’s open daily from 11am to 8pm.
To place orders or arrange a delivery, call (081) 549 9919 or visit the “moomgapao” page on Facebook.

Ta

Last edited:

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Had a big lunch and karaoke at my fav Thai restaurant on Sunday

nf3q9mn.jpg

Duck tongue
vN5fsoe.jpg

Sour fried pork
iaLPpYW.jpg

Vegetables with cashews
Xeg8Eso.jpg

Minced pork and wild mushrooms salad
LhhLrJz.jpg

Seafood spicy salad
847eBta.jpg

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Somtam raw crab
ojSDhP7.jpg

Giant river prawns grilled
XhLTwAC.jpg

Seabass in fish sauce
aUtKu0b.jpg

Grouper in sweet sour and spicy sauce
I3wqRoc.jpg

Snakehead steamed
e5eeJjj.jpg

Evil looking sucker
2oBj7DN.jpg

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
[FONT=&quot]We had 4 bottles of Johnny Walker Double Black (1L each) so need lots of "spirit food" to go along[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Its funny Thais call this mix - 3 types of chicken when theres no chicken at all. People who drink like to have this[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
zfHyzPW.jpg
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Mixed it up[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
c7dCjzF.jpg
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Pineapple[/FONT]