• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Living in JB 2 (Johore)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DREAMorACTION

Alfrescian
Loyal
Absolutely agree, bro.

That's why I emphasized that for foreign banks, one really have to try their luck really hard in order for the banks to come even close to offer what the local banks could offer, unless these foreign banks market themselves at the particular sales office. When they do appear, normally they wouldn't disappoint too much in terms of their packages. I have been to HH a few times but don't really see Citibank (their name cards). It's all to do whether their valuation could match the launch price ...

The Citibank staffs are indeed agressive (I have personal deal with them before and they are very keen to earn the commissions from Singaporean), but the decision whether to offer loan better than 65% still depend on their head office in KL. I believe HH is not in their list of appetite, hence it is a waste of time to proceed further. Just me two cents :smile:

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
I guessed its easy and faster for them to divert than to source and fit a proper water pump; whats with the electrical and all. Thank goodness for Wuqi in pointing this out to me early; now I feel so stupid : ( haha.

Don't be, this has nothing to do with you, i almost did that when i first came out here and was talking to some new neighbours at a gathering.
One frowned immediately and gave me the death stare while the others also started to walk away. I then asked what was wrong and humbly
asked, thats when we started really talking and learning.

Bro 2bfree has pointed out the reserve tank issue which is pretty true as you bypass the tank, some will add additional pumping to service the tank as well but it will start to get messy.

More information on tanks:

http://www.rainwatertanksdirect.com.au/water-tanks/poly-water-tanks.php

What sort of plastics are used to make a poly water tank?
Water tanks used for storage are made from a wide variety of poly chemicals. Poly is the abbreviation for Polyethylene (PE), a light, chemically- resistant thermopoly, is the most commonly used poly resin. Polyethylene resins include linear high density (HDLPE), cross-linked high density (XLPE) and linear low density (LLDPE) resins. Polypropylene (PP) is a light, durable thermopoly that is denser, stiffer and stronger than polyethylene and has a high melting point. Polyvinyl chloride (PVC) is a durable, transparent thermopoly that is resistant to non-essential oils but cannot be exposed to some solvents. Polyvinylidene fluoride (PVDF) is a durable thermopoly that has high resistance to chemicals and abrasion.

What is the advantage of a poly tank compared to say steel tanks?
Poly tanks have several advantages over the traditional steel tanks. Their seamless construction provides them with greater impact strength and superior resistance to rust, corrosion and fuel additives. These virtually indestructible tanks have a longer lifespan than steel tanks, which can rust through and leak. Poly water tanks are fast and easily produced. Poly water tanks also cost less overall than steel tanks.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Clever.. iPad and android.. I could serve some Internet via the vague Singtel 3G signal here out of my balcony..

Well done, you could definitely do that and get your android to share internet connection. Also, the old Samsung Galaxy tab seems to get better signals
where no other phone can. Have not tried the new one nor the note.

sgtsk

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well done, you could definitely do that and get your android to share internet connection. Also, the old Samsung Galaxy tab seems to get better signals
where no other phone can. Have not tried the new one nor the note.

It always makes me curious. While it is not surprising the signals from rbs in Singapore could reach JB, it must also be that the signals from handset could reach rbs in Singapore. It just remind me how much power the little handset packs. Heard in Australian desert, the rbs coverage radius(probably for gsm only) could be as big as more than 100km.

crystal_tiong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Okay. Here is the prediction.

6am cross the bridge will be crystal clear (first link). Go yum cha, Jiak bao and dim sum at bukit indah (opposite S11) from 6.30 to 8.30 am. Visit your house, take pics, walk by the lake till 10. Go bukit indah shop from 10 to 2pm, but the causeway sure jam like Siao ... But the good news is that it will be even worse in the evening. I predict that this will be the sister of all jam (the mother of all jam was during CNY).

Okay, that's all my crystal ball showed ... I exampt all obligations/liabilities to the accuracy of this prediction... But I hope I do make some sense here .. :wink:

Erm , u need to upgrade yr crystal ball, not so accurate Liao. I went in 8am , no jam in sg , slow traffic in jb. 2pm came out. No jam at both customs! Tried fortune dim sum , a lot of ppl. The food so so. manged to find s11 coffee shop Liao.
Washed my car but upon reached sg , heavy rain ! Time for nap now. ...

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi ginfreely,

http://www.chartered-accountants.com.my/resources_assessment.pdf

So just to confirm its up to 100k but with the deposit insurance covering up to 60k only, best to
keep up to 60k in each bank unless you intend to go for MM2H.

9. Interests
An individual resident in Malaysia is exempt from tax in respect of the interest received from the
following savings or investments:-

i. Interest that accrues in respect of any savings deposited with Bank Simpanan Nasional (BSN).

ii. Interest or bonus which accrues in respect of money deposited with Bank Simpanan Nasional
under the "Save as You Earn" scheme.

iii. Interest which accrues on savings deposits of up to RM100,000 with a registered cooperative
society, Bank Pertanian Malaysia, Malaysia Building Society Berhad, Borneo Housing Mortgage
Finance Bhd. Or with any other institution approved by the Minister of Finance.

iv. Bonus which accrues in respect of money deposits in any savings account with Lembaga
Tabung Haji.

v. Interest which accrues on savings deposits of up to RM100,000 with a bank or finance
company licensed under the Banking and Financial Institutions Act 1989 (BAFIA 1989).

vi. Interest which accrues in respect of any fixed deposits account (including negotiable
certificates of deposits) of up to RM100,000 for a period not exceeding twelve months withBank
Pertanian Malaysia, Bank Kerjasama Rakyat Malaysia Bhg., Bank Simpanan Nasional, Borneo
Housing Mortgage Finance Bhd., Malaysia Building Society Bhd., or a Bank of finance company
licensed under BAFIA 1989.

vii. Interest which accrues in respect of any fixed deposit account (including negotiable
certificates of deposits) for a period exceeding twelve months with Bank Pertanian Malaysia,
Bank Kerjasama Rakyat Malaysia Bhd., Bank Simpanan Nasional, Borneo Housing Mortgage
Finance Bhd., Malaysia Building Society Bhd., or a bank or finance company licensed under
BAFIA 1989.

viii. Gains or profits which accrues on deposits of up to RM100,000 in respect of money deposited
in any savings account under the interest-Free Banking Scheme (IFBS) with a bank or finance
company licensed under BAFIA 1989 or the Islamic Banking Act 1983, Bank Kerjasama Rakyat
and Bank Simpanan Nasional.

ix. Gains or profits which accrues in respects of money deposited in any investment account of up
to RM100,000 for a period not exceeding twelve months with a bank or finance company licensed
under BAFIA 1989 or the Islamic Banking Act 1983, Bank Kerjasama Rakyat and Bank Simpanan
Nasional.

x. Gains or profits which accrues in respect of money deposited in any investment account for a
period of twelve month of more under the interest Free Banking Scheme with a bank or finance
company licensed under BAFIA 1989 or the Islamic Banking Act 1983.

Thanks. Good for retirees living in MY that fixed deposit interest are exempted from tax.

Funds Transfer

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks for your help, non residents have no deductions. Only deductions for income tax is if you are a tax residents.
Deductions for maintenance etc are for real gains tax.

Interest gain from banks for deposits are not taxed

Helpful tax guides.
http://www.financesentral.com/2011/04/non-resident-individual-income-tax.html
http://www.iproperty.com.my/news/2411/A-MALAYSIAN-TAX-GUIDE-FOR-EXPATS-AND-NON-RESIDENTS

The official comprehensive guide:
http://www.hasil.gov.my/pdf/pdfam/M2010_Guidebook_2.pdf

Thanks for sharing, Wuqi.

I was wondering if being a non-resident, I could use a Malaysian registered Sdn Bhd to bill the tenant so as to qualify for the deductions.

That said, the ownership of the residential unit is in the names of the Sdn Bhd's shareholders.

Just thought of this query and would like to hear views of everyone too.

Thanks.

sgtsk

Alfrescian
Loyal

I was wondering if being a non-resident, I could use a Malaysian registered Sdn Bhd to bill the tenant so as to qualify for the deductions.

That said, the ownership of the residential unit is in the names of the Sdn Bhd's shareholders.

Thanks.

As I understand, small com(<2.5 m in capital) tax rate is 20%. IMho, only expenses incurred by co related to the prop are allowable for deduction. For more complicated taxation scenario, it is normally better to use a local tax consultants who have better grasp of possibilities to avoid(not evade) or to save on taxes. If necessary, may be you guys could look for a tax consultant and get a discount on the fees.

DREAMorACTION

Alfrescian
Loyal
Have u ever thought that Malaysia would be in the top 10 list for hottest real estate market in the world? Guess no further, Malaysia ranked number 9 :smile:

Malaysia is 9th hottest real estate market in the world*

By Widya Sharkawi

Based on research by global real estate consultancy Knight Frank, CNBC has ranked the world's top ten hottest real estate markets on which Malaysia takes the ninth spot.

The list comprises ten countries judged on their average growth in housing prices from Q4-2006 to Q4-2011.

Malaysia's five-year price growth was recorded to be 28.5 percent and is anticipated to be propelled further should the government follow through with recently announced deliberations to increase the property price threshold for foreign investors.

According to the CNBC-Knight Frank report, prime property in Kuala Lumpur (KL) marked approximately US$500 (RM1,515) psf last year while the total supply of apartments in the capital by the end Q4-2011 was 29,364.

Last month, IP Global had named KL as the top destination for property investors across Asia-Pacific seeking to diversify their portfolios with affordable properties, mostly due to Malaysia's economic stability amidst financial crises in Europe and the United States.*

The following is CNBC's full list of top 10 hottest property markets in the world and their respective average five-year price growth :

10. Switzerland (27.5 percent)
9. Malaysia (28.7 percent)
8. Norway (28.7 percent)
7. Canada (28.7 percent)
6. Taiwan (30.1 percent)
5. Colombia (39.4 percent)
4. Singapore (50.5 percent)
3. Israel (54.4 percent)
2. Hong Kong (93.7 percent)
1. China (110.9 percent)

Image: CNBC.com

Jettset

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi guys, am a newbie here... cool thread Wuqi!!
I am very keen with the idea of moving from Sg to Iskandar.. things are so expensive in Sg.. esp since many claims security is quite ok in Iskandar (true??). Given the longer commute, I do want to have a realistic sense of how much can I save from this move?? ok.. breaking down main cost (besides housing) - (i) utilities, house upkeep (ii) food (iii) am I missing any large items here?
I mean for you trailblazers out there... how much did you save in the total package (house, cost of living etc)?? Please help out!!
And lifestyle improvement... besides the obvious of more space ...what specific examples are we talking about? Afterall Singapore is safe, clean, etc.
Any other negatives about moving to Johor should I bear in mind?
Thanks so much for your help in advance guys!

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
I am very keen with the idea of moving from Sg to Iskandar.. things are so expensive in Sg.. esp since many claims security is quite ok in Iskandar (true??). Given the longer commute, I do want to have a realistic sense of how much can I save from this move?? ok.. breaking down main cost (besides housing) - (i) utilities, house upkeep (ii) food (iii) am I missing any large items here?
I mean for you trailblazers out there... how much did you save in the total package (house, cost of living etc)?? Please help out!!
And lifestyle improvement... besides the obvious of more space ...what specific examples are we talking about? Afterall Singapore is safe, clean, etc.

Welcome to the thread. The newbie page has what you need. For a full picture from both sides of the coin with pros and cons, you probably will have to read from the first to the last to get a better picture.

First thing people will tell you is crime, then its more crime and followed by more and more crime. If you are still reading this, then you should probably be able to last a day here.
:smile:

Some useful threads:
http://sammyboy.com/showthread.php?113721-Newbie-questions
http://sammyboy.com/showthread.php?116146-Blogs-Forums-and-Websites-about-Iskandar-Johor

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Thanks for sharing bro DOA. Learned folks told me anything above 40% starts to get more than a bit scary.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
It always makes me curious. While it is not surprising the signals from rbs in Singapore could reach JB, it must also be that the signals from handset could reach rbs in Singapore. It just remind me how much power the little handset packs. Heard in Australian desert, the rbs coverage radius(probably for gsm only) could be as big as more than 100km.

Likely too as we are still near enough to SG such that certain telco signals, all SG tv channels and radio stations are reachable here.

crumpler_white

Alfrescian
Loyal
@wuqi,

i see u are online now.. sorry as i am uncomfortable posting publicly to make it convenient for u to answer.. really sorry again..

Last edited:

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal

Thanks.

Hi bro FT, likely not. This is as company tax is a flat one and the ownership should be directly under the company if its to be used for the deductions. If one rents out his/her house, say next month for example and keeps coming into Johor, by the time the time comes to pay tax, one should already be tax resident. I will PM you with details.

The http://www.hasil.gov.my/index.php?lgv=2 site is a good one to check on the latest.

http://www.malaysia.gov.my/EN/Relev...AndCollections/IncomeTax/Pages/IncomeTax.aspx

Tax relief for individuals (Resident)
http://www.hasil.gov.my/goindex.php?kump=5&skum=1&posi=3&unit=1&sequ=1

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal

After reading the threads, I suggest you check out a few of the popular developments mentioned. Always better to have a feel of the place, rather than depending on hearsay (either positive or negative). For me, I prefer landed properties due to the higher maintenance risks posed by condos...... Good luck!

jazjoz

Alfrescian
Loyal
hello to all. May I know if anyone has ever rented a place in HH short term? I am thinking about renting for 6 months while waiting for my own place to complete. I haven't contacted any agents yet as I'm not 100% sure yet. Just wondering if it's possible. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.