• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

SG homegrown pro kickboxer Lenis Lim fights angmor pro at Indoor Stadium today! 加油!

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
He's happy fighting

20111201.165934_tnp_fight.jpg

By Bryna Sim
The New Paper
Saturday, Dec 03, 2011

HE NEVER thought he would quit school, much less quit school to become a professional kickboxer. But Mr Lenis Lim, 21, has done just that.

On Saturday, the wiry Singaporean will make his debut on the world stage by taking on European professional fighter Sergio Wielzen in the Fighterzone Kickboxing World Series competition. Mr Lim's competitor has won several world championship titles and there is even a Wikipedia article on him.

But Mr Lim is far from daunted.

"I'm excited. I welcome the challenge," he said.

The competition is organised by a local gym, Soul Of Fitness, and will see big names in international kickboxing coming to Singapore, many for the first time.

World-renowned kickboxing organisation K-1's World Max Champions Giorgio Petrosyan, Gago Drago and Andy Souwer will be taking part, and so will Naruepol Fairtex, who was featured in 2007 on the reality show The Contender Asia.

The prize money awarded to the champion of each of the four matches in the competition will be up to $50,000.

In preparation for the showdown on Saturday, Mr Lim - who is 1.7m tall and weighs 60kg - has been given a new name, Sanuk Fighterzone, by his coach.

Sanuk means happy in Thai, and Fighterzone is the name of the team he represents.

But Mr Lim wasn't always happy.

Two years ago, he was deeply dissatisfied with school. Although doing well in Temasek Polytechnic as a second-year business engineering student, he did not enjoy what he was learning.

In June last year, he joined the Soul Of Fitness gym to learn kickboxing with his younger brother, 17, and some friends.Before long, he was hooked, and found himself training four times a week in preparation for his first competition which was in November last year.

He won.

But the win confused him, and he disappeared from the gym after the competition and could not be contacted.

Giving it some thought

"I wanted to think carefully. I wanted to make sure I wanted this. School, or a fighting career? I needed to make a decision," he said.

He chose to give up his studies to pursue his passion for kickboxing.

When The New Paper spoke to him on Tuesday, he said: "This is the first time in my life that I'm passionate about something. I've finally found something I want to fight for."

His coach, Singaporean Nhang Thalung, 36, said Mr Lim's decision is "super rare" for a young man his age. (See report on facing page.)

Mr Nhang was born in Singapore to a Thai father and a Balinese mother.

Mr Lim's parents were less than thrilled about their eldest son's decision to quit school to turn pro. Mr Lim has two brothers, the 17-year-old and a 12-year-old.

Mr Lim informed his mother, a housewife, in person, but told his father via e-mail as he was overseas then.

Said Mr Lim's father, Mr Joel Lim, 45, an engineer: "My heart was pained by his decision. Being a professional kickboxer is not very popular here. Besides, which father would want to bring up their son just to see people hit him for a living?"

But Mr Lim decided to support his son's decision, especially after witnessing him in action at his fights.

"I realised my son has potential," he said.

Mr Lenis Lim went on to win two other competitions in March and July this year.

Since then, he has upped his ante in training, to prepare for this Saturday.

He wakes up at 6.30 every morning, and what follows is an intensive schedule which includes running, boxing, footwork, breathing exercises and even yoga.

He goes to bed after midnight each day at "home" - which is the Soul Of Fitness gym.

The sofa bed in the gym is where he sleeps.

Although he has no complaints about the training regime, he says he misses eating "salty food".

"I eat anything that's salty usually. But now, everything is saltless," he said.

His no-sodium diet reduces water retention and keeps him lean.

As he spoke, a container of what he described as "tasteless beef and vegetables" was given to him for dinner.

His father swings by the gym once every week to take him out to eat.

But even then, Mr Lim can only inhale the scent of food and watch his father eat.

Food is one of the reasons Mr Lim can't wait for the competition to be over. The other is his social life, which is virtually non-existent at the moment, he declared.

He said his close friends will be supporting him at the Singapore Indoor Stadium on Saturday. Mr Lim said he's prepared to "have his limbs broken".

He added earnestly: "It's very rare to die in the ring. The worst thing that could happen to me, apart from broken bones, is a concussion."

For the record, he has yet to sustain any broken bones, although he has had to pop his shoulder back in place a few times after dislocating it during training .

Mr Lim is not afraid to lose his debut professional match either.

He said: "If I lose, I just have to try harder the next time. Winning is important, but the fighting spirit to keep fighting is much more important."

[email protected]

This article was first published in The New Paper.

psy83

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: SG homegrown pro kickboxer Lenis Lim fights angmor pro at Indoor Stadium today! 加

Hopefully he can do something great for Singapore...Its good that he is starting young.

Anyways i thought the fight was canceled?

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: SG homegrown pro kickboxer Lenis Lim fights angmor pro at Indoor Stadium today! 加

You're right... the angmor chickened out :biggrin:

'I'll keep training till the next fight comes'
December 1, 2011 - 10:22pm

By: Bryna Sim

bsfight-2.jpg

TNP PHOTO: Ariffin Jamar

HE was all set for his debut as a professional kickboxer tomorrow.

Mr Lenis Lim, 21, (above) was to take on European professional fighter Sergio Wielzen in the Fighterzone Kickboxing World Series competition, which was supposed to be held at the Singapore Indoor Stadium.

But Mr Lim's dream will now have to wait.

The competition has been postponed because the headlining fighters from overseas had allegedly refused to fight with their scheduled opponents here.

More in The New Paper on Friday (Dec 2).

GOD IS MY DOG

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

hope he won't become Penis Limp............

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal

i am also confused like him. What is business engineering?

chuckyworld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

i am also confused like him. What is business engineering?

I don't know either, take me time to look it up.....

Business engineering circumscribes the domain of designing new business fields. Unlike business development, business engineering does not only include marketing related tasks, but also most of the other business administration tasks. Financial and operational tasks are of equal importance, for example.

Business engineering includes all activities that are necessary to develop and maintain an independent line of business. It is comparable with starting a business, but includes the novel component. That means that there is no core market yet and market opportunities need to be created. Most likely, the output of business engineering substitutes known forms of supply, in existing markets.

Therefore business engineering aims to establish new, future oriented forms of businesses but with reference to existing or emerging needs. Business engineering is most likely related with the area of future technology. To abstract it, business engineering combines the establishment of a completely new business in a prospect business environment.

Last edited:

butoh6050

Alfrescian
Loyal

This guy is making a big mistake. He should continue his studies and also fight.
Professional fighting will take it's toll on his body and with a serious injury, he will have nothing to fall back on.

Raynall

Alfrescian
Loyal

This is not the first time it happened.

In the past, foreign fighters have also refused to fight in Singapore's events too. I think it was because the fighters are not paid enough to make an appearance or some shit like that. Or at least that was what I heard...

vamjok

Alfrescian
Loyal

I don't know either, take me time to look it up.....

Business engineering circumscribes the domain of designing new business fields. Unlike business development, business engineering does not only include marketing related tasks, but also most of the other business administration tasks. Financial and operational tasks are of equal importance, for example.

Business engineering includes all activities that are necessary to develop and maintain an independent line of business. It is comparable with starting a business, but includes the novel component. That means that there is no core market yet and market opportunities need to be created. Most likely, the output of business engineering substitutes known forms of supply, in existing markets.

Therefore business engineering aims to establish new, future oriented forms of businesses but with reference to existing or emerging needs. Business engineering is most likely related with the area of future technology. To abstract it, business engineering combines the establishment of a completely new business in a prospect business environment.

so many fancy terms for just a diploma? come on...

Received_by_Kings

Alfrescian
Loyal

"I'm excited. I welcome the challenge," he said.
Said Mr Lim's father, Mr Joel Lim, 45, an engineer: "My heart was pained by his decision. Being a professional kickboxer is not very popular here. Besides, which father would want to bring up their son just to see people hit him for a living?"[

Ha typical local Singaporean loser way of unconvincingly overstating the situation and his strength. It should be: I'm excited. I'm all for the challenge. Even unknown Western sportsmen have a bit of humility sometimes.

Ha stupid local Singaporean loser way of thinking. You don't care that your son is brought up to hit others, and just your son being hit by others? And if it's just the latter it only means your son is no good.

The Philistine

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ha typical local Singaporean loser way of unconvincingly overstating the situation and his strength. It should be: I'm excited. I'm all for the challenge. Even unknown Western sportsmen have a bit of humility sometimes.

Ha stupid local Singaporean loser way of thinking. You don't care that your son is brought up to hit others, and just your son being hit by others? And if it's just the latter it only means your son is no good.

Nothing wrong with <i>I welcome the challenge</i>. He said it was challenging for him to take on his opponent. If his opponent was shite it would not be a challenge for him.

Kickboxing is a contact sport and one who participates in it will get hit. It is not a matter how how good you are. At some point you will make a mistake and pay for it. Even top kickboxers have suffered their fair share of beatings.

butoh6050

Alfrescian
Loyal

He is not fighting Jerome Le Banner so he should be ok.....

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Just learned one year training want to fight with professional world champion?
Knn thai muay thai fighters start from young training full time for years.

Lucky fight cancelled if not he might die inside the ring

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Just learned one year training want to fight with professional world champion?
Knn thai muay thai fighters start from young training full time for years.

Lucky fight cancelled if not he might die inside the ring

That's one thing you got right on. Fighting must be trained from young for best effect, just like languages and dialects. All Japanese sumo, karate, judo etc. and Thai muay thai fighting for championships are trained from young. For fighting, train as your bones grow and it becomes naturalized. Just like for languages, train as your tongues grow. Once fully grown, it's hard to train. Only very few with the affinity and tenacity can be trained to do well in it.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Is lenis lim pronounced as a rhyme of penis as in lee-nis or len-nis?

jw5

Loyal

Lenis Lim?
The typist registering his name type wrongly isit? finger slip down the keyboard? :biggrin:

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

imagine if his name was misspelled with a p instead.

psy83

Alfrescian
Loyal

We should be supporting him instead of dictating how he should live his life.. In sg we think that a Career/Job is wearing a Shirt and Tie and having an 8-5job. But sports can also be a career, This young gentleman can make a name for himself locally and later on open a boxing gym and earn good money doing what he loves. There is opportunity in doing what he does regardless of how far he goes. I defiantly support this guy's decision.