• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Local Talent James Wong still winning gold for Singapore

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Wong breaks down, thanks wife after winning S'pore's first gold medal
20111114.175957_jameswong.jpg

By Gary Lim

The New Paper
Tuesday, Nov 15, 2011

The words didn't come easy.

Discus thrower James Wong had just won Singapore's first gold medal at the 2011 South-east Asia (SEA) Games, and his 10th overall in his 12th and final Games yesterday.

In the midst of dedicating his final triumph to his wife, Wong choked, broke down, then turned around to compose himself for about 15 seconds before summoning the strength to continue.

Jana Lauren, Wong said, has been his pillar of strength all these years.

Said Wong, 42: "I was training twice a day, six days a week. And we're not talking about a month or two, but for one to two years just for this competition.

"I wished I had the time to take her and the kids out more often, but I couldn't. Maybe I had my own selfish goal, but now, enough is enough."

It is precisely Wong's dedication to the sport which made Lauren, his wife of 11 years, a little sceptical.

Maybe the wife just knows best.

She told The New Paper: "I don't believe this is his last (SEA Games). He said it was his last after the previous one!

"But then again, I read in a report today that says he's retiring. I haven't heard him say it so straightforward before, so maybe it's for real this time."

Balancing a successful sports career and family life hasn't been easy for Wong. Neither was it easy for Lauren, 41.

There have been rough patches.

The preparation for this SEA Games was an especially trying period for Lauren.

She said: "Maybe this year I wasn't so supportive. I scolded him for training so often.

"Now, he thanks me. Sometimes it's the little things we do that let us see through the sacrifices that we make.

"Maybe it's time he retires from competitive sports to spend more time with us.

"It has been difficult for him too. He loves his sport so much, so it's normal that he spends more time on it."

Lauren perhaps knows the demands of a national athlete better than most, because she was once Germany's No. 4 discus thrower.

She first met Wong at a training camp in Berlin, her hometown.

They fell in love, got married and now have two kids - Jessica, 10, and Jordan, 8.

But life after James' retirement may have to take some getting used to.

Lauren, who is a discus coach at Catholic High School, said: "I have to wait for him to come back, so that we can sit down and discuss our plans for the future.

"I have no idea what's on his mind at the moment."

For Wong, this is the beginning of a new chapter of his life. One that involves more time with his family.

He said: "I promise that this is my last competition."

This article was first published in The New Paper.

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
he is one athlete i respect..went through hard times for his goal.

but kudos to him...he snagged an ang moh wife...

freedalas

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, James Wong, we salute you!!! A native Singaporean sportsman that done all Singaporeans proud once again. Our heartfelt appreciation and thanks.:smile:

shOUTloud

Alfrescian
Loyal
While I admire James Wong for his achievements, I think his success show how fucked up ASEAN athletics are. knn all these young punks cannot win a 40 year old

Sir_Fcuk

Lunch Corporal
Loyal
Gu lat si beh juay..... one hell of a power this guy

I tell you, use cock to up an mor zar bor need POWER man..... but shiok, they scream damn loud

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
While I admire James Wong for his achievements, I think his success show how fucked up ASEAN athletics are. knn all these young punks cannot win a 40 year old

Going through the articlel I notice he didn't thank the PAP for their support :eek:
Must be an oversight or simply because the PAP didn't help the local athletes of Spore:confused:

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
he is one athlete i respect..went through hard times for his goal.

but kudos to him...he snagged an ang moh wife...

SINkee wife would have walked out on him long time ago, if not his mother-in-law will nag his wife, "tan bo chiak, everytime throw, what , that dusbin cover", "why don't you leave him, so many FT'sout there, who make so much money" and wife will finally leave him. Only ang mo charbo...ok dear!, next SEA games you can retire!:biggrin:

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
James Wong grew up in Telok Blangah Drive, a tough neighbourhood and attended a neighborhood secondary school which I believe is no longer around. He go against the odd and prove that Sinkees can do it. Sad to say, his achievements will be forgotten soon by all with the fake FTs the ruling party is going to import in.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
so now we have to write local talent and foreign talent in front of each and every singaporean we discuss??

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The concept of local talent has long been destroyed. James Wong at 43 and delivering results is bringing hope to other potential local talents and possibly all Sinkies that they can be betterer than FT if they want to.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
James Wong grew up in Telok Blangah Drive, a tough neighbourhood and attended a neighborhood secondary school which I believe is no longer around. He go against the odd and prove that Sinkees can do it. Sad to say, his achievements will be forgotten soon by all with the fake FTs the ruling party is going to import in.

why is it a tough neighbourhood?

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
we should change the Alfresian under our nicks to Local talent, foreign talent, road runner.

Last edited:

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
why is it a tough neighbourhood?
Telok Blangah Drive was a new neighbourhood during the early 80s. Most of the residents are 'kicked out' from the nearby slums/kampongs. Those from nearby Chinatown, Redhill, Pasir Panjang and Queenstown all relocated to Telok Blangah Drive/Cresent/Heights. Most of the residents are staying in 1/2/3 rooms with a few priviledge one staying in 4/5 rooms. If I still remember correctly, there is this semi-circle block (Block 44) facing Keppel Road/Telok Blangah Road. This block alone has the highest concentration of drug addicts and criminals.

That is the reason why James Wong deserve more respect. It's not easy to grow up in those place.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Telok Blangah Drive was a new neighbourhood during the early 80s. Most of the residents are 'kicked out' from the nearby slums/kampongs. Those from nearby Chinatown, Redhill, Pasir Panjang and Queenstown all relocated to Telok Blangah Drive/Cresent/Heights. Most of the residents are staying in 1/2/3 rooms with a few priviledge one staying in 4/5 rooms. If I still remember correctly, there is this semi-circle block (Block 44) facing Keppel Road/Telok Blangah Road. This block alone has the highest concentration of drug addicts and criminals.

That is the reason why James Wong deserve more respect. It's not easy to grow up in those place.

wow holy sheet the western part of sg has tons of these type of shit going on. Like red hill for eg.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
wow holy sheet the western part of sg has tons of these type of shit going on. Like red hill for eg.
Wah Piang JR. How big is SG?? at most 50 SQM by 40 SQM. Everyone has to earn a living lah. However, I believe Red Hill is no longer a tough neighbourhood. It is one of the most expensive HDB pigeonhole in SG. Years ago, I balloted for Redhill but never get it.

psy83

Alfrescian
Loyal

Teban Gardens, Bendemeer, Hougang "Block Merah", Bukit Merah, Rochor/whampoa as well all use to be pretty dodgy, I grew up at Bendemeer/Rochor.. All are dodgy..

All have cleaned up except for Teban Garden where every 20/30 mins there will be a cop car.

Last edited:

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Teban Gardens, Bendemeer, Hougang "Block Merah", Bukit Merah, Rochor/whampoa as well all use to be pretty dodgy, I grew up at Bendemeer/Rochor.. All are dodgy..

All have cleaned up except for Teban Garden where every 20/30 mins there will be a cop car.
To be fair, it's rough everywhere during the late 70s/early 80s when the ruling party started 'forced relocation'. Many have to leave their kampong or slums to live with strangers in the so-called HDB pigeonholes. Suddenly, there are all races living in the same neighbourhood. No one knows or understand each other but as times goes, everyone accepted each other.