• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Workers' Party CEC Member Yaw Shin Leong Voted For PAP In 2006 Election

NamQiong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Straits Times:

I voted for PAP in 2006 election: WP candidate

Opposition party leader Yaw Shin Leong draws online flak for revelation in his blog

BY SUE-ANN CHIA

HOW should an opposition leader vote in a general election (GE), especially one who is contesting the polls?

Workers’ Party leader Yaw Shin Leong voted for the ruling People’s Action Party candidate in the 2006 GE - and has now found himself in the eye of an online storm.

Mr Yaw, a Bukit Panjang resident, had revealed in his blog that he voted for the PAP’s Teo Ho Pin who was contesting the single-member constituency (SMC) against Singapore Democratic Party chairman and former opposition MP Ling How Doong.

The disclosure was just a one-liner: Teo Ho Pin (MP) - Good MP. I voted for him in GE06.

And it was hyperlinked to Dr Teo’s blog.

However, it soon appeared on a popular online forum and sparked a furore among netizens who registered more than 100 postings.

Many attacked him for voting for the other side and making public his vote. One posting called him a “political opportunist and hypocrite” for doing so.

They also criticised him for sending conflicting signals.

Mr Yaw, the WP’s organising secretary, had led a team in 2006 to contest against Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong and his team of five in Ang Mo Kio GRC.

Said a netizen: “He was a candidate contesting against PAP and rallying for voters to vote against PAP in one constituency, but himself voting for PAP in another.”

But Mr Yaw, 33, in defending his actions, said he voted for the better candidate.

His latest blog entry, posted on Monday, said: “I do not believe in opposition for opposition’s sake.

“There is nothing inherently wrong for me to vote for an MP, regardless of his/her partisan background, whom in my opinion is the better man who can better serve the interests of Singapore and my community (Bukit Panjang SMC).”

He also said, in reply to comments made on his blog, that “in view of Mr Ling’s past performance and antics, I just could not bring myself to vote for him”.

When contacted yesterday, Dr Teo said he appreciated Mr Yaw’s support. “It is his personal choice,” he added.

Political observer and law lecturer Eugene Tan believed Mr Yaw did what was right.

“It is a responsible and principled approach to voting that entrenches democracy and ensures that Singapore will c

skymud

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Go Yaw..

I believe what yaw did is correct althought he is from the opposition. You cant just vote for any tom dick or harry. The voting should be done with having the best candidate in mind.

Blindly supporting any parties will result in worst situation in SG. eg; Pap is having an average candidate who did everything routinely with no extra effort everytime.

Opposition candidate never ever seen before only appear when GE is running. Doesn't respond to the residents' questions. Lots of big mighty claim if he is elected.

Now you are a hard opposition supporter definelty not the 66.6% supporter. Who would you choose in this case? Just imagine that opposition candidate is elected and he becomes the mp.

One fine day your life screws up, everything upside down debtors all after you. U tried to talk to that MP and hes not interested in helping you or just push things around. At that point of time do you think you would have regretted?

Adidas

Alfrescian
Loyal
at least his mind is still sound.
but i think maybe WP did not used their whip to ensure that all their members should at least vote against PAP,if they do not have anyone contesting in the ward.

dominion

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Go Yaw..

I believe what yaw did is correct althought he is from the opposition. You cant just vote for any tom dick or harry. The voting should be done with having the best candidate in mind.

Blindly supporting any parties will result in worst situation in SG. eg; Pap is having an average candidate who did everything routinely with no extra effort everytime.

Opposition candidate never ever seen before only appear when GE is running. Doesn't respond to the residents' questions. Lots of big mighty claim if he is elected.

Now you are a hard opposition supporter definelty not the 66.6% supporter. Who would you choose in this case? Just imagine that opposition candidate is elected and he becomes the mp.

One fine day your life screws up, everything upside down debtors all after you. U tried to talk to that MP and hes not interested in helping you or just push things around. At that point of time do you think you would have regretted?

I totally agree with voting the better candidate. But neither opposition nor PAP candidates are showing any interest in improving the community from my limited experience.

Though I wouldn't think any any MP should help out some guy in debts, but little things like better estate management, (re)building of small parks/playgrounds/shelthered walkways still leave very much to be desired.

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Whatever your political beliefs are, you should have the integrity to stand by them

Thus whether it is a PAP candidate voting for the WP party or a WP candidate voting for the PAP, such behaviour shows a lack of belief in their own party's ideology

and if they do not believe in their own platform, why should we, as apolitical observers believe in theirs?

coolcum

Alfrescian
Loyal
i think if yaw didnt vote for his own party he will be wrong. however, the opposition guy did not belong to his party. he belonged to another opposition party. so i think in this case yaw was right to vote for who he thought was the better guy.

david

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yaw Shin Leong is a dick head. Ok, he don't like that SDP "talk cock" idiot, why don't he spoil the vote??

Yaw Shin Leong has lost his credibility and I do wonder if people will still vote for him.

C

crankybaby

Yaw Shin Leong is a dick head. Ok, he don't like that SDP "talk cock" idiot, why don't he spoil the vote??

Yaw Shin Leong has lost his credibility and I do wonder if people will still vote for him.

very true. he just sabo'ed himself

cupola

Btw since we are at this GE2006 topic, where is this Lian Chin Way, the WP who contested in Nee Soon Central ... no news on him after the GE ...