• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Touch me, pay me

G

General Veers

Singapore
Home > Breaking News > Singapore > Story
Dec 24, 2009

Touch me, pay me

Lawyers say they are seeing more men settling cases with cash to avoid criminal record

<!-- by line --> By Mavis Toh

a10-1.jpg

ST PHOTO ILLUSTRATION: CAROLINE CHIA

<!-- story content : start --> THE engineer, 36, was cutting his way across the dance floor of a Clarke Quay club earlier this year when a 23-year-old woman accused him of touching her buttocks. The bouncers stepped in. The police showed up. And though he claimed he did not touch the woman, he ended up paying $8,000 to settle the case. 'I didn't want trouble and I didn't know what my company and wife would think if they found out,' he said in an e-mail reply to The Straits Times. 'That was my only way out.'

Read the full story in Thursday's edition of The Straits Times.
[email protected]

When a case can be settled out of court

PROVISIONS in the law allow for minor offences such as simple molestation cases, wrongful restraint or causing hurt to be settled out of court.

This happens only if the victim agrees to drop the matter in place of some form of compensation.

Any offer to compound the offence must also require the sanction of the judge.

A spokesman for the Subordinate Courts said that a person accused of such offences may apply to the court for the offence to be compounded, if the complainant is agreeable.

She added: 'The consent of the court must be obtained before the matter can be compounded.'

Lawyers said that the negotiation for compensation happens largely without the involvement of the court. Offers of compensation are made to the victims through the case's investigation officer.

'We avoid dealing with the victims directly in case there are other allegations,' said lawyer Amolat Singh.

Lawyers told The Straits Times that other Commonwealth countries such as Malaysia and Sri Lanka, have similar laws to compound less serious offences.

Proposed changes to the Criminal Procedure Code last year had included suggestions to leave the decision to compound certain offences to the public prosecutor - even before an accused is charged in court.

But not all cases can be settled out of court, especially if it involves public interest. One example is cases of maid abuse.

In 2005, the court also threw out a bid by a company chairman, accused of assaulting another motorist, to have the case compounded for $7,500. The prosecution objected, as road rage cases were on the rise.

The chairman was eventually fined the maximum $1,000, although he could have been jailed up to a year.

Those convicted of outrage of modesty can be jailed up to two years or fined or caned, or subjected to any two such punishments.

zuoom

Alfrescian
Loyal
is there something the guys can do to protect themselves from the so called accusation? (that's if they didn't commit the act.)

Soul_Reaper

Alfrescian
Loyal
is there something the guys can do to protect themselves from the so called accusation? (that's if they didn't commit the act.)

Guys are always on the losing end.

An ex-FB of mine who cannot budget her expenses have done this "trick" a few times whenever she has difficulty paying her credit card bills. She'll go clubbing and give her selected target the "come on"...... when he's hooked and starts to get fresh, she'll blakang pusing and cry molest :biggrin:

Over the past 3 years she has been compensated more than $50K :p