• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Sharp drop in Singaporeans becoming Aussie PRs

hunter

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.straitstimes.com/breakin...rop-singaporeans-becoming-aussie-prs-20121027

Sharp drop in Singaporeans becoming Aussie PRs

by Elgin Toh

ST_20121027_P1BLURBS27_3360650e.jpg

Mr Jake Teo (sitting in front of thenose of a Boeing A320 plane) chose to return to Singapore after graduating from the University of Queensland last year. He got a job as a workshops executive with SIA Engineering shortly after. He says the promising Singapore economy was among the factors that prompted his return. -- ST PHOTO: NURIA LING

Of the 192 "high-value occupations" publicised by the Australian immigration department, Mr Jake Teo, 25, would have easily qualified for as many as five.

The Singaporean holds a degree in electrical and aerospace engineering, and would have been a shoo-in under a permanent residence regime favouring those with special skills.

But he chose to return to Singapore after graduating from the University of Queensland, in Brisbane, last year.

"In my youth, I want to 'piah' and challenge myself," he said, using the Hokkien word that means to strive. "And the Singapore economy looks much more promising than Australia's."

http://www.straitstimes.com/sites/straitstimes.com/files/ST_20121027_P1BLURBS27I8D7_3361161.pdf

QXD

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
There was a statement in that article that alluded to a "glass ceiling" for asians in Australia.

Reminds me a lot of myself back then; it was a big reason why I went back to SG after Uni.

All was fine and dandy until I realised the glass ceiling in SG was not race, but it would always be in the order:

1) PAP hardliners
2) PAP sanctioned scholars
3) PAP welcomed FTs
4) Stinkies

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What is not mention is the change in immigration policy.
It is harder to get in now.

Singaporeans can always migrate somewhere else.

The glass ceiling is real. But cracks are appearing, Eg the medical professions.

Last edited:

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Want to piah.....then go back to Singapore.....this guy is brilliant!!! Genius!!!

chupacabra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes he will definitely regret. Plus he is working for foreign mnc. Once FT mnc move out of peesai he will also regret.

AngKuKuih

Alfrescian
Loyal
Going back to Singapore to work is ok for those who are young. Singapore regards those who are young as an asset as they are energetic (si peh gow piah), work late and therefore contributing to the economy. Come to think about it, it is actually free labour. However, when your age is above 40 and your salary is at the upper end of the range, you will become a liability as Singapre, as a nation, realises that you are now no more an asset as your skills can be replaced by younger persons who are joining the workforce at a lower salary. So when you are above 40, you are susceptible to be retrenched when there is a down turn in the economy. So those who go back realize that they are being treated that way ( king now when you are young and trash when you are older) and know when to get out of the system would be wise when time comes he should migrate. I have been there .........
I speak from my own experience. I know when I am not wanted by Singapore and then I run road.........

Good luck to Jack Teo............

Angkukuih

Last edited:

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
At a certain degree, I agree.
Returning to SG these days, is about self-interest, nothing personal / emotional but simply economic gain. Citizens feel proud if they (have a sense of involvement) are involved in shaping the country – to share glory or harvesting together. Citizens will feel disgusted & will not hesitate to leave, if there are only a few drawing millions in salaries, a few who are authorised to burn billions of dollars away & a few who are heavily shielded..
Anyway, it takes a lot of guts to sit at the play poker table with the govt. If one returns, he must be prepared to leave (again) if the tides are against him.

These days, Life is brutal !
If you are @ the cul-de-sac, either you live or you die. No safety net for you in Sg.

I have been there, done that too :-)

Going back to Singapore to work is ok for those who are young. Singapore regards those who are young as an asset as they are energetic (si peh gow piah), work late and therefore contributing to the economy. Come to think about it, it is actually free labour. However, when your age is above 40 and your salary is at the upper end of the range, you will become a liability as Singapre, as a nation, realises that you are now no more an asset as your skills can be replaced by younger persons who are joining the workforce at a lower salary. So when you are above 40, you are susceptible to be retrenched when there is a down turn in the economy. So those who go back realize that they are being treated that way ( king now when you are young and trash when you are older) and know when to get out of the system would be wise when time comes he should migrate. I have been there .........
I speak from my own experience. I know when I am not wanted by Singapore and then I run road.........

Good luck to Jack Teo............

Angkukuih

koala88

Alfrescian
Loyal
What is not mention is the change in immigration policy.
It is harder to get in now.

Singaporeans can always migrate somewhere else.

The glass ceiling is real. But cracks are appearing, Eg the medical professions.

The english test is killing. My friend gave up because of the test.

koala88

Alfrescian
Loyal
There was a statement in that article that alluded to a "glass ceiling" for asians in Australia.

Reminds me a lot of myself back then; it was a big reason why I went back to SG after Uni.

All was fine and dandy until I realised the glass ceiling in SG was not race, but it would always be in the order:

1) PAP hardliners
2) PAP sanctioned scholars
3) PAP welcomed FTs
4) Stinkies

Welcome to the real world.

QXD

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I see it cracking everywhere. There are now even friends of mine who can't even speak proper english holding executive (senior mgr/director) positions in some medium sized companies in Perth.