• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

[Shangri La Dialogue] Zelensky quotes Ah Gong's wise words to rally anti Russia support

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Zelensky invokes Lee Kuan Yew in address at Shangri-La Dialogue, says Ukraine ‘will prevail’ with global support​

fhvolodymyr110622.jpg

Ukraine President Volodymyr Zelensky addressing participants at the Shangri-La Dialogue summit in Singapore via video link on June 11, 2022. ST PHOTO: GIN TAY

Lok Jian Wen
UPDATED
1 HOUR AGO

SINGAPORE – Ukraine president Volodymyr Zelensky on Saturday (June 11) reiterated his calls to tighten sanctions on Russia and its president Vladimir Putin as he addressed world leaders and senior defence officials at the Shangri-La Dialogue in Singapore.
Speaking in his native Ukrainian language from a “secret location” in capital city Kyiv, he said the Russian army had “killed dozens of thousands of our people and deported thousands more to his territory”.

Russia invaded Ukraine on Feb 24 in what it called a “special military operation” to demilitarise its neighbour.

Speaking to 575 delegates from 40 countries at Asia’s top security summit, Mr Zelensky also invoked Singapore’s founding Prime Minister in his virtual address, which lasted a little over 10 minutes.

“If there had been no international law and the big fish ate a small fish and a small fish ate shrimps... we would not have existed.

“These are wise words of Lee Kuan Yew, the leader who was perspicacious enough to see the clear reasons of many things and resources, and who knew exactly what is of value,” he said, referring to a 1966 speech by Mr Lee.

Singapore's then prime minister had quoted a Chinese proverb, “Big fish eat small fish; small fish eat shrimps”, but highlighted that some shrimp also have poisonous stings.

Mr Lee said that for the young nation to survive alongside neighbouring countries (small fish) and major world powers (big fish), it had to build up its defences or, like some other creatures that attach themselves to larger ones, form alliances with more powerful nations.

Mr Zelensky – who has previously addressed the parliaments of more than 20 countries as well as prominent gatherings at the UN Security Council and the Grammy music awards – has become known for adeptly tapping seminal historical events tailored to the country of his audience, from the Sept 11 terrorist attacks in the US to the Fukushima nuclear disaster in Japan.

He also stressed the larger consequences of Russia’s blocking of ports in the Black Sea and Azov Sea.

“If due to Russian blockades we are unable to export our foodstuffs, the world will face an acute and severe food crisis and famine in many countries in Asia and Africa.

“The shortage of foodstuff will inexorably lead to political chaos, which can result in the falling of many governments and the ousting of many politicians,” he warned.

Before the war, Ukraine was the fourth largest wheat and corn exporter in the world.

In place of his now-trademark khaki top, the president sported a black T-shirt with the image of a girl spray painting a Ukrainian flag of blue and yellow – which he revealed to be a Made-in-Singapore print.

He said: “I was told about one girl. She wrote me a letter asking to support her initiative called Spray Paint Ukraine – an initiative aiming to help Ukraine. She created this NFT (non-fungible token) and presented me with the shirts for me to wear, to help everyone to discover her initiative.”

The illustrator, Ava Soh, 16, a Singaporean, described her print as a “young Ukrainian girl defiantly painting a new future” through “self-belief”.

fhnft110622.jpg

Mr Zelensky sported a black T-shirt with an image of a girl spray painting a Ukrainian flag of blue and yellow, created by 16-year-old illustrator Ava Soh, a Singaporean. ST PHOTO: CHONG JUN LIANG

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
"Ball is in your court pipsqueak" said incoming Russian ambassador. Looks like PAP has chosen to be unfriendly on your be half. :unsure:

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why is Putin not given the chance of free speech...wtf...

Everyone know US is the bully and started this war... to attack China too.

Why so many balless bastard leaders dare not fuck US Sleepy Joe dumbwit...

orh mee suah

Alfrescian
Loyal
The waters along the Black Sea around Odessa's port were mined to deter a Russian 'beach landing'.
Kiev literally blocked its own port and trade route in the Black Sea.

bobby

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why he never quote this one....

"We decide what is right. Never mind what the people think": Lee Kuan Yew​

or this one....

“If, for instance, you put in a Malay officer who's very religious and who has family ties in Malaysia in charge of a machine gun unit, that's a very tricky business. We've got to know his background... I'm saying these things because they are real, and if I don't think that, and I think even if today the Prime Minister doesn't think carefully about this, I and my family could have a tragedy.” : Lee Kuan Yew​

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
After the war, Ukraine will turn into another landlocked shithole country like Moldova. Can't wait! :cool:

gingerlyn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Why he never quote this one....

"We decide what is right. Never mind what the people think": Lee Kuan Yew​

or this one....

“If, for instance, you put in a Malay officer who's very religious and who has family ties in Malaysia in charge of a machine gun unit, that's a very tricky business. We've got to know his background... I'm saying these things because they are real, and if I don't think that, and I think even if today the Prime Minister doesn't think carefully about this, I and my family could have a tragedy.” : Lee Kuan Yew​

“If, for instance, you put in a Chinese officer who's very pro China and who has family and friend ties in China in charge of a machine gun unit, that's a very tricky business. We've got to know his background... I'm saying these things because they are real, and if I don't think that, and I think even if today the Prime Minister doesn't think carefully about this, I and my family could have a tragedy.” : Lee Kuan Yew​

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Fear not! Ukraine fast tracked to join EU soon. :thumbsup:
EU is just s bigger version of germany.
It dominates.
And that is why german russia cooperation needed to be dismantled.
A united and independent europe threatens US domination.

mudhatter

Alfrescian
Loyal
goes to show old fart harry lee and his whole family and clan were losers

only losers bother to quote him or place him on a pedestal

stinkypura has achieved no great intellectual feats, ever

as a nation of coolies and prostitutes that is its calling in life